Tour

Secretary 101

Chapter One

Tip #1: Always have a list of suitable backups in the case of your sudden death.

“What are you saying! I get this is supposed to be intimidating, but don’t you think talking about our death so loosely is going over board?”

A young woman with long, black, perfectly styled- curls spoke up, her face mirrored disgust as her body leaned away from me, almost as if I was the one who would kill her.

I had been leading the group of interns and interviewees around the office, as I aimed to explain the most important tips that my job entails. I turn around, looking the woman up and down before averting my eyes to the side and sighing, “This is the very first tip I made, how disappointing,” I mutter to myself before looking directly at her, “Please see yourself out, as I am a bit busy at the moment to do so,” I order, fully intending to turn back around and continue leading the group through the small tour.

I stay in place, however, as she scoffs instead, “Excuse me?”

I stare at her for a couple more seconds, what was that expression? Her forehead is contorted in the middle, left eyebrow lifted slightly higher, a scowl at her lips. A mixture of disbelieve and offense.

“I am also a bit regretful, don’t misunderstand me,” I begin, “You are by far the prettiest girl here, it is a true shame that you are out of the running this quickly,”

I thought my explanation would help some with her apparent disbelieve, but her face only becomes even more exasperated. She sure is slow, my decision only becomes even more reassuring to me now.

“As the secretary to our CEO, our lives are merely secondary to what is best for the company. I see by your comment that you value your life far too much to be suitable here, so please, let yourself out.” I don’t bother waiting to see if she understood me any longer, I have a schedule to keep, after all.

Turning back around and walking over to the cluster of desks in the middle of the room I hear muttering behind me, but I assume it must just be the rest of the interns taking notes. It better be.

“To explain Tip #1 a bit further, we are all merely secretaries, therefore a threat to our life is not at all to occur,” I can both hear and see evident sighs of relief go out in the rest of the group, “but it should be expected and prepared for, none the less.”

Why did they tense back up again?

“E-excuse me, Mr. Lee?” A short, brown-haired girl with a bob raised her hand shyly, I give her a look, motioning for her to continue, “If we are just secretaries and there is no threat to our lives, why must we be so prepared for our deaths?” Her voice is shaking slightly, I do not know what to make off of that.

“Our CEO needs a secretary at all times, and the death of his secretary should be no exception, don’t you know that’s why I am training all of you?”

“Y-you’re preparing us for when you die?”

“Of course, otherwise our glorious CEO would not need anyone else but me.”

“If you’re not sick and you’re not in any danger for simple being a secretary, then why would you be preparing for your death…”

“There is no threat to our lives as secretary … so far. But, Tip #2, your life is second to that of our CEO’s. If at any point he is in danger, you must step in and save him. And, let this be the last time I have to repeat myself; our CEO should not be hindered without a secretary for our fault.”

“You mean your death?”

“If I can’t keep myself alive to support our CEO, it is my fault.” The group looks squirmier than they did before my explanation, I am not fully understanding why, but I don’t have time to ponder on that. “Since we’re on the topic of death, Tip #3, the last, I promise, pertaining to our possible death,” I laugh slightly. Who knew we would get right to our deaths so early into the tour? The group gave me a subtle laughter in response, “Death is the only suitable excuse to leave your job as secretary.” That laughter didn’t last.

Another hand slowly shot up, a tall, incredibly handsome looking man as the owner. Another fine candidate. It isn’t as though I want to be so focused on looks, but Tip #4, the secretary’s looks must be suitable for our CEO’s eyes to stare at day in and day out. They don’t need to know that one, since I’m the one in charge of the backups. “I just-“ He began, voice so soft and sweet. Definitely secretary material.  “Is there anything I can do right now to get kicked out?”

What?

“I want to quit before I’m even considered as a real candidate,” I wanted to respond at the sudden statement, but he had made his move to leave before I could answer.

Two down and we barely got started.

I sigh again before continuing on, “These here are your desks. Please, choose your seats right now by setting your bags down before we continue around the company.”

Quickly, the group scattered to set their bags or briefcases down onto the desk of their choice. The order wasn’t important, their desks are merely two long white tables with their monitors separating from the next.  We are right below the top floor of the building; this particular area is categorized with the intern’s desks at the center and offices surrounding them. “The offices at this top floor belong to our CEO’s most trusted and useful members. Begin memorizing them because although you are being trained in the case of my sudden death to serve our CEO, for the meantime you will serve as secretaries to any of them.”

“Are we assigned a specific boss?” This time the question came from a tall girl, her skin had a darker complexion that suited her black her perfectly. With the other girl gone, she was certainly the best looking now. Kwon Yuri, I believe?

“No, they will have tasks or requests made, but who does it doesn’t really matter as long as it gets done. You can easily avoid tasks by handing them off to any of your fellow interns, but recommendation by them goes into account when our CEO will be in need of a new secretary, so I suggest doing as much as you can, and doing it well.”

A community of nodding in agreement was made so I continued introducing this floor’s mechanics, “That office right at the back is our CEO’s. You will have no reason to go in there unless I take you in individually to show more specific tasks that I perform for our CEO, or, of course, if he is the one to call you in himself.” I received more nods of understanding, “Brings me to Tip #5, everything I say can be ignored if the CEO says otherwise.”

“I’m sorry, did I miss Tip #4?” the same girl with a bob asked, but I only gave her a smile in response.

“Well, that’s everything on this floor, shall we move to the rest of the building?” I question clasping my hands, satisfied with finishing the first destination.

“Uhm, yes, where is your desk?”

“Ah, right. My desk is right through those doors,” I explain pointing to the back of the room.

“The CEO’s office?”

“My office is in front of his, no one can get to his room without passing through mine.” Sensing that was the end of the questions, I began walking out, expecting to be followed. The rest of the building had to be introduced. As I walk, I look down at my watch: 7:00 AM. That gives me about 45 minutes to finish the tour before preparing our CEO for the work day.


A/N: 

Will definitly be slow paced- don't expect much fromt his huhuhu