Rain knows

Rain knows

Dark clouds looming over the sky, the sound of waves crashing to the shore as the cool breeze envelopes my body in an embrace.  It was calming yet it brought bittersweet memories.  Standing at the edge of the cliff, staring at the sun about to set down at the other side, I bit my lip to prevent myself from crying, just so I won’t focus on the other pain I am feeling.

 

It was here where we first met.

 

Droplets of rain slowly making its way, locals resting at the shore started evacuating with haste.  But contrary to them, there was you, standing still in front as if without a care in the world and I stayed in my position watching.  Back then, I wondered if there was something in the rain that people get scared of as they hurriedly look for shelter.  I did not have any answers but you gave me an intriguing one.

 

“Rain helps conceal your tears.”  You turned to me and even though I did not recognize the tears flowing, I must have felt your pain.  Without a second thought, my body moved on its own.  I pulled you close and held you in my arms - and that’s when you lost control of your emotions.

 

It was the start of our story.

 

Stranger to stranger, but the first meeting was not typical.  We met often after, and I gradually know more about you.  You were a silent type yet mature, a deep thinker indeed, but still fragile who needs to be protected.

 

Whenever I cautiously brought up the topic about that day, you never failed to change the subject and I always let it go, hoping that someday I can earn the trust you were afraid to give.

 

Time passed and moments shared, my feelings for you blossomed into love.  It was a late realization, but I was certain.  Gathering all my courage, I decided to help you write the next chapter of your life.

 

The apprehension on your face was evident but I dismissed it.  There was something in the past that I cannot uncover but I offered my hand for you to take.  I wanted you to step out of that black hole and see to it that you can unchain yourself from that darkness.

 

It was a struggle for you but you did reach out your hand.  And I was so delighted thinking that I momentarily broke down a layer through your barrier.

 

Step by step, bit by bit, we had a fresh start.  But then in the middle, both of us became fully aware that happy endings are not really meant for everyone.

 

I thought I have succeeded pulling you out of that misery, but I was wrong.  I was too occupied with that mission that I missed acknowledging how you are truly feeling.

 

“How do you fall out of love?”  It was that time, here at the cliff, just that one question from you that I hit rock bottom.

 

It took a couple of seconds to say but the journey was something else.  Much more for moving on and letting go.  

 

It was the end of our story.

 

Soon, as if the clouds cannot hold out much longer, rain started to pour down, and I stood there just like what you did back then.       

 

That is when I fully understand the words you uttered and a faint smile spread on my lips.  

 

“Rain helps conceal your tears.”

 

But you made me realize that…rain cannot wash away the pain how hard it pours.

 

End.