One

When The Clock Struck Midnight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hello?"

"I'm checking to see if you have an umbrella."

Kyungsoo looks around his desk and notices that in fact he does not have one.

"I'm taking your silence as a no."

"Sorry Baekhyun, I think I forgot it at home."

"Soo I told you about the weather forecast this morning!" whines the other person on the line.

Kyungsoo can hear the drizzle outside. He can manage to walk to the bus station without being drenched. Baekhyun did tell him about the storm but Kyungsoo usually tunes out everything his friend says. It seems today was the worst day to ignore Baekhyun because he was right. 

Kyungsoo sighs, declining Baekhyun's offer for a ride home, since his workplace is an hour and a half minus the traffic from where Kyungsoo teaches. He can get home quicker with the bus. 

He packs his briefcase and locks the staff room. Kyungsoo passes by the classrooms and something catches his eye in Mr Kim's Korean class. A figure is sitting alone in the back of the class. Dismissal time was four hours ago so Kyungsoo is surprised to see someone there. He opens the door and the figure quickly looks up. It's the kid that gives Jongdae a hard time during his class. Is it Sejun? Sehon? Oh it's Sehun.

"Sehun, what are you doing here?"

"Nothing." he grumbles. Kyungsoo can tell he's cold as he is wearing a sleeveless jersey. He removes his coat and covers Sehun with it. The kid mumbles out a thank you. From his expression Kyungsoo can tell that he is upset about something. His parents must have forgotten to pick him up.

"Should I contact your parents?"

The boy immediately shakes his head no.

"I just had football practice and the driver must have left without me." Sehun says and his stomach begins to grumble.

Kyungsoo remembers the bagel he didn't eat earlier and gives it to Sehun.

"Is your home far? I could take you there." Kyungsoo suggests.

"It's very far. Out of the city." he replies.

"Okay, is there a relative that could pick you up or something?"

"My brother stays here but he is always busy."

"Your brother can stay with you. What's his address?"

Kyungsoo figures he can drop Sehun at his brother's place and by some miracle make it home before the rain becomes worse.

It's quite windy outside the school gates and Kyungsoo shivers a couple of times. They make it to the bus stop with Kyungsoo being mildly wet. It's a quarter to seven in the evening and the bus will arrive in thirty minutes. Kyungsoo tries to make small talk with Sehun but the boy is so quiet. He faintly wonders if Jongdae was exaggerating when he claimed Sehun was naughty.

Kyungsoo watches with utter horror as the rain picks up pace. Thankfully the bus arrives and they quickly get in. With where they are going though, they have to walk for twenty minutes as the apartment block is exclusively for rich people and celebrities. Kyungsoo faintly wonders what Sehun's brother does to be living in such a place. They get off at their stop and Kyungsoo makes sure that Sehun is completely covered with the coat then they make a dash for it.

Kyungsoo is completely drenched when they arrive at the complex. A security guard gives them entry after Sehun's yells of, "Yifan it's me Sehun!"

"Sehun what are you doing here so late?" Yifan the guard asks.

"I was left at school again. Is hyung in?"

"Yeah he is. Go up quickly!' the guard gives Kyungsoo a questioning look.

"He's my teacher. He brought me here." Sehun says pulling Kyungsoo with him before Yifan could say anything. They get into the elevator with Sehun pressing all the buttons. He must have been here a lot, Kyungsoo thinks.

They get off at the tenth floor and Kyungsoo follows the boy. He suddenly remembers he is drenched. Before Kyungsoo can ring the doorbell for room 105 the door immediately swings open. A tall man with disheveled brown hair and crumpled clothes appears.

"Sehun, what are you doing here?"

Sehun shrugs the coat off and suddenly leaps into the man's arms and cries.

"Hyung they forgot me again!"

"They what?"

"I was alone at the school for hours until Teacher Soo saw me." the boy continues to bawl.

"I'm so sorry, Hunnie. I'll ask Queen mother what happened." the man says.

Kyungsoo is standing awkwardly at the doorway. The man gestures for him to come in and points him the direction of the bathroom.

He shrugs off his wet clothes and slips inside the shower. The hot water soothes his cold body. There's a knock at the door.

It's Sehun with some clothes and a towel.

"Hyung said to wear this Teacher Soo."

Kyungsoo mumbles out a thanks. He emerges out fifteen minutes later drowning in a hoodie and jeans that actually fit his small frame.

The man is shouting angrily on the phone when Kyungsoo reaches the living area. Sehun is already dressed in pajamas, drinking hot chocolate and covered in blankets.

"I know he is not your son your highness but you didn't have to be careless like this... What would father think if he saw you mistreating his son like this?" the man continues.

Kyungsoo sits with Sehun after surveying the whole apartment for some minutes. It had simple decor, Kyungsoo likes it.

"That's your brother?" Kyungsoo asks pointing at the turned man. Sehun nods.

When Sehun's brother noisily hangs up and turns to face Sehun, Kyungsoo can't believe his eyes. It's...

He just entered... He used the shower... He is sitting on the couch...

Something should have clicked when he overhead the conversation. Wait, Sehun's a royal? Kyungsoo gasps as realization sets in. Sehun's brother is none other than South Korea's current king, Park Chanyeol.

"I'm sorry for all that." Park Chanyeol apologizes. Kyungsoo is speechless, Sehun snickers in the background.

"Y your majesty." Kyungsoo somehow finds his voice and immediately stands up to bow a ninety degree bow.

"How can I possibly thank you for bringing my brother home..." Chanyeol gestures for Kyungsoo's name.

"Do Kyungsoo sir."

"Oh please don't be so formal in such a private setting Kyungsoo. Just call me Chanyeol."

 The kings smiles at Kyungsoo, even with his disheveled appearance he looks handsome. 

"Oh okay Chanyeol." Kyungsoo ducks his head in embarrassment.

"I'm gonna whip something up for us. You can make yourself comfortable." Chanyeol says. When Kyungsoo gets bored of watching Bleach with Sehun he goes to the kitchen. Kyungsoo pinches himself as he watches Chanyeol work effortlessly chopping the vegetables. 

King Park Chanyeol who was a prince three years ago but had to assume the role of his father when the king suddenly suffered a heart attack. Known as the youngest king in South Korean history with several degrees in business. He has run the country efficiently if anything Kyungsoo sees in the news is true. There's one thing Kyungsoo doesn't understand though. Chanyeol has a younger brother, the crown Prince Luhan whom Chanyeol is filling in for until he becomes of age.

"Sehun is my brother." Chanyeol says snapping Kyungsoo out of his thoughts. Is he that obvious? "Luhan is our brother too."

Kyungsoo doesn't understand, he teaches Luhan. He has seen the crown Prince play with Sehun a couple of times but he could never imagine they were related.

"Mine and Sehun's mother was a concubine since the Queen couldn't have children."

Oh? Kyungsoo didn't know that.

"The Queen gave birth to Luhan the same month as Sehun. Sehun and Luhan might both be princes but their ranks are very different. If you know what I mean."

"Why are you telling me all this?" Kyungsoo asks. He could be a reporter for all Chanyeol knows.

"You have a trustworthy face."

Kyungsoo smiles bashfully at the compliment and quietly helps the king with making dinner.

They eat quietly and Sehun uses Chanyeol's phone to speak with Luhan afterwards whilst the adults wash the dishes.

"I should get going." Kyungsoo says. Knowing Baekhyun, he's probably assuming Kyungsoo is dead in a ditch somewhere.

"The storm isn't letting up any time soon. Stay the night. I'd feel bad if I let you go in this weather after you came all this way to bring Sehun."

Kyungsoo ponders a little and then nods.

"You can take my bedroom. I changed the sheets this morning..."

Sehun appears and hands Chanyeol the phone.

"Okay get better soon kiddo. I'll come see you tomorrow okay?" Chanyeol says to Luhan and hangs up.

"Luhannie said he fell asleep in the car and when he woke up he noticed I wasn't home. He said he was sorry for not waking up earlier and leaving without me."

"You see? Luhan adores you, I knew he would never leave you behind without a special reason." Chanyeol ruffles Sehun's hair. "Bedtime now Hunnie..."

"Yeah yeah yeah." Sehun cuts him off annoyed. "Brush my teeth and tuck myself in hyung. I'm a big boy now." he whines and walks away.

Chanyeol suggests some tea in the living room. The blanket Sehun was using is now draped around Kyungsoo's shoulders.

"I wouldn't like you to catch a cold." Chanyeol offers him a smile.

After some time in a comfortable silence Kyungsoo decides to ask.

"Why isn't Sehun recognized as a member of the royal family?"

"It was our late mother's wish for Hun to grow up as a normal kid. He is treated like a prince though in the palace but not in the same way as Luhan so I took him with me so that it doesn't affect him. Luhan felt left out and lonely so I had no choice but to return Sehun to the palace. I explained to him why they were treated differently and he quickly understood. He doesn't mind living life like a normal kid."

"I noticed he doesn't have guards around him like Luhan, he looks like a free spirit so he must enjoy the freedom." Kyungsoo says.

"Yeah he does... Enough about Sehun. So what about you Kyungsoo? I'm more interested in you."

._.

Chanyeol personally drives Kyungsoo home the next morning. They both have a lot in common so their conversations never ran out on their way to Kyungsoo and Baekhyun's shared apartment.

Kyungsoo feels giddy as soon as he shuts the door behind him. He doesn't notice Baekhyun who is glaring at him.

"You could at least call you jerk!" he shouts. Baekhyun has an unnaturally loud voice in the mornings.

"You know I like making you worry when I'm completely fine." Kyungsoo rolls his eyes heading for the kitchen. He can smell the bacon and coffee.

"Whose expensive car was that?" He decides to pry. He clings on to Kyungsoo the way he does when he wants to know something juicy.

"Chanyeol's." Kyungsoo says. He is not sure if he's allowed to reveal anything.

"Did you get yourself a nice boyfriend?" Baekhyun wiggles his eyebrows. "Are those his clothes?"

Kyungsoo looks down to realize he is still wearing Chanyeol's hoodie. Even if he told Baekhyun the truth, the other would claim he is lying so this will be his little secret. He spent a night in the king's bed. (Not in that way!) It feels so surreal.

Kyungsoo goes to his room with a smile on his face while Baekhyun shouts after him.

._.

A bouquet of fresh lilies is what Kyungsoo did not expect in his desk on Monday morning. Jongdae wiggles his eyebrows suggestively on his desk opposite Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo is rather private when it comes to his love life. Jongdae is just as nosy as Baekhyun. All his friends are a bunch of gossips. There's a note next to the flowers.

*Since I forgot to ask your number would you like to have dinner tonight ;)*

Kyungsoo finds it endearing that Chanyeol is even more cute with his messages. He stifles a smile so that nosy Jongdae won't cackle in the staff room and gather everyone's attention. 

He goes about his day the usual way, although a smile blooms on his face when he thinks about dinner. He texts Baekhyun to help him choose his outfit. The bell signalling lunchtime rings and all the kids shuffle out of the class except one.

"Luhan aren't you going to play?" Kyungsoo asks.

"..." he keeps quiet.

"Is anything the matter?' Kyungsoo kneels to his level.

"Nobody wants to play with me because I'm going to be king one day." He sniffles.

"Oh hey don't cry. Sehun is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter