Youngbae's Confession

Blind Date

Taeyang's POV

Just another morning, waking up hearing my roommates bicker on the phone. Why can't anyone let me sleep in peace? 

"Yo can you guys be quiet!" I yell trying to go back to sleep?

"Sorry man" I heard from the other room. 

I try to go back to sleep, but I couldn't so I decided to force myself out of bed and decided to go see what the ruckus was outside. When my friend saw me, they handed me the phone saying it was Seolhyun. My heart was racing, after all, she has been my childhood crush for 8 years. I got the phone and answered.

"Hey Seolhyun, its Bae. What's up?" I asked.

"Hey Oppa, it's been a while, I was asking Jiyong if you had time today." She replied.

My face started to become red, as I started to speculate what the reason for wanting to see me was. Could it be that she also likes me and wants to confess? But I had to snap out of it or else, Jiyong could have used it as ammunition to make fun of me, after all only he knows that I have been crushing on her for 8 years. 

"Yea I do, is something wrong? I asked worryingly.

"No no nothing is wrong, I just wanted to talk to you about something important." She says.

"Uhhh, yea sure wanna meet up at Venture Cafe around noon?  I asked.

"Sounds good Oppa!" she says.

"See ya later, ciao" I replied.

As I hung up the phone, Jiyong was looking at me. I looked back and gestured as if asking him if something was on my face.  He shook his head.

"So why the look?" I asked.

"What was that call about?" he answered.

I didn't know myself so I didn't have an answer. All I could tell him was that Seolhyun wanted to talk to me about something important. He had a surprised look as if he was thinking the same thing I was.

"Could it be?" he asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, gesturing an I don't know. "I hope it is," I said.

I know I can't be getting my hopes up, I've watched enough Rom-com movies to know, that getting your hopes up, will just lead to more heartbreaks. But however, after longing to be in a relationship with her for 8 years, I couldn't help but get my hopes up.

"Are you gonna finally confess after waiting for 8 years?" Jiyong asked.

"I don't know what I should do,"  I replied.

***********

8 Years ago

"Yo bae we are gonna be late," Jiyong shouted.

"What's the rush? It's not like they are gonna start the match without us" I yelled.

I was still packing my duffle, we have our final match today against the rival high school. Jiyong and I were the stars of the team, as well as the captain and vice-captain. I got my stuff ready and went to meet up with Jiyong downstairs. We were sprinting to the court, and that was the first time I saw Seolhyun. At that time I didn't know who she was, but I knew of all the girls who attended my high school, no one was as pretty as the girl standing by the court. 

"Yo Ji, have you ever seen that girl before?" I asked him, pointing at the girl.

"Naw I haven't but I know who might," he says as he pulls out his phone. I saw him enter a phone number. I looked over to realize it was Namjoon who attended Rine High, the rival high school. 

"Yo Namjoon," Jiyong said on the phone as he puts it on the speaker.

"Wassup Ji?" He asked.

"Our little bae has a crush on one of your high school's girls," Jiyong smirked.

"What???? Who????? Which girl?" Namjoon asked.

"Hold up," Jiyong said as he took a picture of the girl and was about to send it, where I stopped him.

"What the hell Ji?" I yelled.

"What? Don't you want to find out who she is?" He asked.

"I do, but it feels wrong" I admitted.

"Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with it. Think of it as research" He replied as he sent Namjoon the picture.

"Yo Ji!"  Namjoon shouted.

"What?" Both Jiyong and I said.

"That girl is Seolhyun, she is the most popular girl in our school. She's also great friends with Ji-Ho."  Namjoon said. 

"JI-Ho? Actually?" I asked. 

"Yea, by the way, I'm not sure if it's true or not but I think that he as a crush on her as well," Namjoon warned.

Great just what I needed right now, Ji-Ho is a great friend, we practice ball together, I've known him for a while, he is great at what he does. We always joked around as rivals since we went to different schools, but we've always remained friends. 

"Yo Bae" Jiyong called as he finished talking to Namjoon and hung up.

"What?" I asked looking up at him.

"Look over there," Jiyong said as he pointed towards Seolhyun's direction.

As I turned around I saw Ji-Ho approaching Seolhyun, I didn't know why but I decided to go towards them. Jiyong tried to stop me but to no avail. I made it towards both of them. They were just staring at me.

"Hey Youngbae," Ji-Ho said. 

"Yo, you ready for the match today?" I asked, not knowing why I was standing here.

"Hell yeah, I'm ready."He said, sounding cocky as he usually is.

"Your game should be as loud as your mouth,"  I revolted when I heard a burst of cute laughter. I turned to see Seolhyun laughing at my remark.

"Yah why you laughing, it wasn't even that funny," Ji-Ho said.

"Sorry, sorry but it was funny." She replied.

I was just standing there, "Well who might you be?" I asked.

"Oh she's one of the new girls who started this year," Ji-Ho said.

"Nice to meet you, my name is Seolhyun," she said as she introduced herself.

"It's my pleasure, I'm Youngbae, the one who trained this idiot in basketball," I said pointing at Ji-Ho.

As I finished my sentence, Ji-Ho gave me a solid punch. "Yah what was that for?" I asked.

"Shut up, you deserved that." He said. 

"So you are that Youngbae?" Seolhyun said.

"That Youngbae? What do you mean?" I asked her. As I finished asking I noticed Ji-Ho shaking his head. 

"Well, Ji always talks about you and how special you are to him. Whenever we hang out, there's always a story about you in it. Ever since I've always wanted to meet you. She said.

"Well look at you, am I that special kiddo?" I nudged Ji-Ho. "I'm not that special, I just helped him realize his goal, that was all, he got to where he was with his own determination," I said. 

"Yo Bae, we gotta go coach is waiting" I heard Jiyong shout.

"Looks like it's time for me to go, it was a pleasure meeting you, and I'll see you on the court," I said as I bid farewell to them and left. 

Since then I became close friends with Seolhyun and started to fall in love with her.

End of flashback

***********

"Bae, have you decided if you were going to confess today or not?" Ji asked. 

"Yea I am, I'm tired of sitting around and not doing anything," I said.

"I wish you the best my brother," Jiyong said. 

"Thanks, man!" I said and decided to get ready, to go meet Seolhyun. 

I made my way to Venture Cafe and met up with Seolhyun. We got a seat for 2 and ordered our drinks. 

"How've you been?" I asked. 

"Great!, how about you Oppa? she asked.

"What can I say? Jiyong and I are making music now and want to pursue that full time. Everything is going the way I want to." I replied.

"That's great Oppa," She said excitedly.

"So why did you wanna meet up?" I asked. "I also have something important to say"  

"Oh right about that, well remember 8 years ago when we first met?" she asked. 

"Of course I do, it was the start of the friendship that we have," I said.

"Well do you remember what you said about Ji-Ho?" She asked.

"I do, but what does that have to do with anything?" I asked.

"I haven't told this to anyone yet, and seeing how you are close to Ji-Ho and how I trust you a lot," she said. I just nodded.

"Well I've had a thing for Ji-Ho for a while now, and I want you to help me with it." She said.

My heart stopped, here the girl I've loved is asking me to help her get with another guy, worse one of my close friends at that. I just froze. I couldn't do anything, I see her waiting for my reply.

"Oppa?" Seolhyun said, "You okay?"

I nodded. "How do you want me to help you?" 

"All I need to know is if he likes me or not, can you ask him for me?" She asked.

"Sure," I said.

"What was it that you were gonna tell me Oppa?" she asked.

"Oh, I forgot," I lied.

"Stop lying and tell me?" she demanded.

I guess after being close for 8 years you can fully understand someone, I thought.

"Really I did, sorry I have to go work on my music with Jiyong," I said and got up to leave.

"Oppa is everything good?" she asked.

"Yea, we just started our first album so things are a bit hectic," I said.

"Okay then, I'll see you later," she said.

"Yeah bye," I said and left usually I would give her a hug before I leave, however, my heart couldn't handle the news and I just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

Third Person POV

After Youngbae left, Seolhyun was sitting at the cafe confused. He usually isn't like this she thought to herself. She decided to ask Jiyong to see if he knew anything.  

Seolhyun

Hey Yong Oppa, Youngbae Oppa left and he didn't seem to be that happy. Do you know anything about it?

Jiyong

Huh? What did you tell him?

Seolhyun

Well, I asked him to help me with Ji-Oh.

Jiyong

I see, well don't worry about it. I'll take care of it.

Seolhyun

Noo, just tell me. I don't want to be left out.

Jiyong

Kay fine, Bae has liked you since when he first saw you 8 years ago, and I believe he was gonna confess to you but you dropped that bomb on him and it probably hurt him.

Seolhyun

Wait actually? I feel bad now, what should I do?

Jiyong

As I said, I'll take care of it, don't worry too much.

Seolhyun

I'm so sorry Oppa, I didn't know.

Jiyong

It's okay, I'll get back to you once I sort it out with him, ttyl

Seolhyun

ttyl.

Seolhyun started to weep, she felt bad. Had she known that Youngbae had feelings for her, she wouldn't have asked him to do something like this. She decides to sit at the cafe and think for a while. 

Jiyong was trying to get in contact with Youngbae, but it kept going to voicemail. He decided to go out looking for him, thinking of which place he would be at. He decided to go to the court near Rine High since that was where he first met Seolhyun. He found Youngbae sitting by one of the benches there, and ran up to him. As he got closer, he noticed at the state he was in. He wasn't sure if he should tell him, that Seolhyun does know about him liking her or not. But he didn't want to ruin the friendship and comradery he built with the man for over 15 years. 

"Youngbae, you okay?" Jiyong asked.

Youngbae looked up and was surprised to see him. "Ji what are you doing here?"

"Seolhyun messaged me, telling me you left and she said you weren't looking the same as when you guys met, so I figured the confession didn't go so well," Jiyong said.

All Youngbae could do was laugh. "I couldn't even do it."

"I know, Seolhyun told me why she called you. and asked why you left." Jiyong said.

"And what did you tell her?" Youngbae asked.

"I honestly didn't want to but she kept asking so I told her," Jiyong confessed.

"So she knows? What should I do Ji" Youngbae asked.

Jiyong was surprised to see him taking it the way he did. He thought Youngbae would've punched him the face or something. "You should talk to her and tell her how you feel"

"Would it be worth it? Knowing she doesn't feel the same? Youngbae asked.

"It wouldn't kill you" Jiyong replied.

Youngbae pulled his phone out and called Seolhyun, and asked to meet up.

"I'm heading back to the cafe," Youngbae said as he leaves.

Youngbae makes his way to the cafe, and noticed that Seolhyun is at the same spot she was when they met earlier that day, 

"Hey," Youngbae says as he sits down.

"Hey, Oppa," Seolhyun replies.

"Listen, about earlier today, I'm sorry for leaving like that." Youngbae apologized

"No Oppa, I'm sorry." She said.

"Well do you wanna talk about it? what Jiyong told you?" Youngbae asked

She nods silently.

"It was about 8 years ago when I first laid my eyes on this girl, I didn't know her name, nor who she was, thanks to Jiyong's idea I found out that the girl's name was Seolhyun, and that even though she was a new girl, she was one of the popular ones. Then I approached her and my friend Ji-Ho. We introduced ourselves and since that day that girl and I became close friends that could trust one another. But during that 8 years for me at least, I started to develop feelings for that girl. I liked her since I laid eyes on her 8 years ago, but now after getting to know that girl for 8 years, I started to love her," Youngbae said.

Seolhyun was shocked, she couldn't believe that the man sitting before her had these feelings for a long time, but she can't accept such a pure and honest love. "Wow Oppa, I didn't know that you felt this way. I'm so sorry, but I can't accept these feelings. Your love and affections are as pure and honest as an angel but I do have feelings for someone else, and I can never have such feelings towards you. To be frank, you are more like a brother to me." She said.

That broke his heart. "No need to apologize, I heard your answer this morning. I'm still happy to help you out with Ji-Ho tho, he is a good guy." Youngbae said.

"I'm really sorry Oppa," She said.

"We should get going, I really have to work on my music," Youngbae said.

"You better message me when you get home." She demanded. 

Youngbae nods, and before leaving gives her a hug, and leaves. This time he goes home, to which Jiyong was waiting.

"Well? How did it go?" Jiyong asked.

"I didn't get friend-zoned," Youngbae said. 

"That's great!" Jiyong says before letting him finish.

"Let me finish, I didn't get friend-zoned, I got brother-zoned meaning I will never get a chance at her," Youngbae says.

Jiyong can tell that he was clearly heartbroken and knew he wasn't in any mood to joke around. He knew his friend better than anyone, even though he looks like he's okay, he clearly is not. He is probably gonna be in a worse state in a few days, He has to think of something to help his friend out.