Chapter 4

Love in the Spotlight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Umma, I'm heading to an audition! Bogum and I probably won't be back until after dinner, so don't worry about us!" I called from the front door as Bogum and I prepared to head out. Then turning to Bogum, "sorry that I have to take you along to the audition for now. I figured you wouldn't want to hang out at home with my family but the LA traffic is just too much for me to go to the studio and then come back to get you."

"No not at all!" Bogum reassured, "I'd love to come with you."

We crammed ourselves back into my run-down car and I turned up the radio to brighten up the energy. Charlie Puth's Attention was playing and out of habit I began to sing and bop along to the beat. Bogum laughed and hummed along, even though he didn't know the lyrics. We spent the entire hour-long drive to the studio karaoke-ing along to various hit songs on the radio. I was surprised by the number of songs he knew but was even more impressed by his singing ability for someone who's profession is acting.

"You're so good at singing - is there anything you can't do?" I exclaimed over the blast of the music.

"I just enjoy music a lot - but not good enough to sing professionally," he replied humbly. 

"Well it's the most professional car karaoke I've ever heard!" I laughed. 

Soon we pulled into the parking lot of the studio fifteen minutes ahead of schedule. I pulled the script out of my bag and shuffled through the pages one last time in review. 

"Good luck," Bogum said quietly and reached over the top of my head for a gentle pat. I froze unexpectedly from the tender gesture but quickly relaxed when my eyes met his. The encouragement and warmth I felt from his gaze was more than enough to melt away my stress. Thinking back on the ease with which I was able to immerse myself in the emotion of the script last night, I felt unusually confident in this audition.

I smiled back at Bogum, "thank you. It really means a lot. I'm going to go in - here are the keys, feel free to walk around since it might get warm in the car. I should be done in 30 minutes!"

Bogum nodded and accepted my keys with both hands. With an excitement that I haven't felt in a long time, I bounded quickly towards the entrance of the studio.

*** 

"PARK BOGUM-SSHI!" I screamed as I ran out 45 minutes later. 

He was leaning against the car, appearing deep in thought when I burst outside. At my shout, the man jumped in surprise and looked over at me with expectant eyes. 

Before I said another word, I had already reached his side and threw my arms over his shoulders in excitement. The momentum of my hug threw Bogum back until he was pinned against the car. 

"I PASSED THE ROUND! THEY TOLD ME IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS TO COME BACK TUESDAY FOR FINAL ROUND!" I shouted in happiness.

"Ah--" he uttered in surprise.

"OH!" I stepped back slightly, realizing I was probably forcing the guy to engage in a level of skinship he was not used to. His expression of shock seemed to confirm his discomfort and I began to retract my arms. "So sorry I got too excited--"

Suddenly, I felt a pair of sturdy arms wrap themselves around my waist and pull me back in. Bogum's soft voice tickled back in my ear, "Congratulations. I knew you could do it."

For a moment, I froze in place with my face buried in his chest and his sweet scent overwhelming my senses. He was so close I could feel his heartbeat racing, as if trying to outpace the swift beating of my own heart. When I felt as though my heart wouldn't survive any longer at this level of proximity to Bogum, I stepped back and pushed myself away. I hoped the warmth that spread through my cheeks was not too obvious.

"Thank you," I managed to mumble, smiling but avoiding eye contact, "let's go get a nice meal to celebrate! My treat!" 

I scrambled over back to the driver's side and started the car. Bogum opened the door and propped himself inside. 

"It should be me treating you to a nice meal for your successful audition," he mumbled sheepishly.

"You can consider it an IOU - I'll buy your meals and you can pay it back 2x next time!" 

"It's a deal. But you'll probably have to come to Korea to redeem your free meals."

"I'm sure I'll be out there at some point... I promised my mom that if the acting gigs don't turn into anything substantial in a year, I would consider going to Korea instead. Asians in entertainment just aren't in high demand in Hollywood, you know?"

Bogum nodded thoughtfully. "But it would be amazing if there was more representation. I think what you're doing here is really admirable for the Asian community. As much as I would selfishly like to see you come to Korea, I think it would be much better if you could stay in here and get big in Hollywood."

I smiled, "Thank you. I hope so, too. But to be honest, Korean entertainment is just as great as Hollywood. I think we're really going to see the rest of the world discover the talent that's there, with Netflix licensing so many shows and Parasite having won the Academy Award for best film. It would be exciting to be a part of that as well. It's amazing that you've been able to be a part of the development of great Korean shows."

"I just got lucky. I think all people in our line of work just need a lucky break to really make it. Plenty of talented people never get that and it's through no fault of their own. I really hope you'll get yours soon, Sol-ah." 

The way he said 'Sol-ah' with such gentleness sent an unexpected wave of heat through me. It was as though we had known each other for years. When I take myself out of the moment, it's unfathomable that I'm sitting next to a big celebrity like Park Bogum and casually talking to him like this. But through these conversations about our work, it's as though I was just talking to a colleague. He had insights to give as someone with more experience and his reassurance comforted me in ways nobody else I talked to could. 

"So where are we going for food?" Bogum asked curiously.

I smiled, "you'll see."

***

Park Bogum gawked with eyes wide at the pile of shellfish carcasses before him. 

"You just... grab at it?" 

"Yup. Welcome to Boiling Crab!" I exclaimed. I figured any Korean place I take him to in LA wasn't going to be super memorable compared to all the options for him at home. The Boiling Crab experience was unique and I looked forward to seeing how savage the infamously well-mannered Park Bogum could get.

I dug in and grabbed a shrimp. "Bogummie, do you know the quick way to peel shrimp and crawfish?" 

He shook his head as he observed my hands. 

"You peel just a little bit - enough to grab the meat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter