Chapter 2

Love in the Spotlight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two weeks later, the entire encounter with Korea's #1 celebrity was beginning to seem like a dream. I hadn't said anything to my family about it, in case my mom spreads the news to her wide network of Korean ahjummas and their daughters. Without anyone to openly talk to about the experience and no evidence from a photo or autograph, my suspicions grew stronger each day that I had just slept too much while working.

It was another slow Friday evening in the cafe at almost 5pm. I was wiping down the last empty table when the door bell jingled unexpected and a familiar face rushed in.

"Park Bogum-sshi??"

So it wasn't a dream after all.

But this time when he entered, the celebrity appeared distraught with an uncharacteristic furrow of his eyebrows.

"Lee Sol-sshi, I got in some trouble, can you help me?" He said between heavy breaths. It appeared as though he had ran his way to the cafe.

"O-of course, what happened?" I asked in surprise. The worst case scenarios popped in my head. Did he get in a car accident? But he seemed unharmed, although he did run here, so no car. Did he kill someone?! But under what circumstance could that even happen? I was not prepared to be an accomplice in a murder, regardless. Even if the murderer was as charming and pleasant as Park Bogum.

"I lost my backpack," he explained, still gasping, "it had everything in it - wallet, keys to rental car, hotel card key, passport, and my phone."

"Wow," was all I could offer.

"Sorry to trouble you all of a sudden. Since I traveled solo, you're the only local that I know of who could help me. And that I knew I could find."

I nodded, "sure, no problem. Why don't you sit down first and I'll get you a glass of water."

Bogum plotted himself down on a stool by the counter. I put my cleaning supplies away quickly and filled up a glass of water. The moment I presented the water to Bogum, he immediately tossed it back in what seemed to be one gulp. Now that he was sitting up close, I could see the small beads of sweat forming along his hair line. His cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink. Even a flustered celebrity still looked like a celebrity, I though to myself with a tsk.

"Alright. So. You lost your backpack. Was it stolen?" I knew some parts of LA weren't the best and hopped the poor tourist didn't get attacked. Some people visit and see all the glamour without realizing the underbelly of the place was right around the corner.

"No. Not really. I left my bag I think at a restaurant and when I went back for it, it was already gone," he answered sadly, "it's truly just my own fault."

"Do you have an iPhone? Maybe you can track it online?"

Bogum shook his head, "I already tried to think of alternatives and asking to borrow people's phones to call mine. I think whoever ended up with my backpack probably already turned off my phone."

I sighed, "yeah. I think we can safely assume you won't be able to get any of your stuff back. You can try to file a police report, but it's honestly not going to do much. Our police are too busy with other things."

Bogum nodded his head sheepishly, "I think the biggest thing I'm worried about is my passport. I need it as identification for so many things and will be going back to Korea next week. I don't have my phone to search about what to do next and don't even have money to go to a PC cafe for internet."

"So if you lost your passport, you can get a replacement from the Korea consulate here. However, I think you are truly down on your luck, because it just so happens to be Labor Day weekend. It will be closed until Tuesday."

Park Bogum pouted with pursed lips as he ran his hands aggressively through his hair in frustration. "Aish... What a mess. Okay. So my next immediate problem - my rental car is currently stuck in its parking spot because I don't have the keys for it. Should I call the rental car company to have them come and move it?"

"Where is it parked? In a metered spot?" I asked.

"Yes, meter spot by the beach."

I pulled out my phone and did a couple searches on Google about what to do after losing keys to rental car. I frowned, "so it looks like if you call the rental car company, they can send a tow truck to move your car back to their facilities. From there you can pay a fee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter