-3-

Secret Life

 

 

Unfortunately, Irene and Wendy couldn’t be partners. Sehun added himself to the group since the teacher asked for another person to be the third member. 

So now, Wendy found herself sitting with her new group members in the library to discuss the project. 

“How about a song? Irene can play the keyboard, I can play guitar and sing. Wendy do you play any instruments?” Sehun asked. 

“No.”

“Oh...you could write the song,” he suggested. “Just don’t write about furry love.”

Ugh. He was still making jokes about that. “I’m not a furry. And I’m not writing a dumb love song.”

Sehun looked slightly offended but kept his cool—probably because Irene is here, Wendy mused to herself. 

Dammit. She suddenly realized that she gave off vibes in front of her crush. 

“This is a group effort, you know,” Sehun told her. 

“Let’s do something else then,” Irene said.

Wendy watched Sehun’s eyes brighten with interest as he turned to Irene. 

“We could do a collection of poems,” Irene suggested. “We can each write a poem for different themes and compile them together.”

“Sounds great!” Sehun exclaimed though he did sound less enthusiastic since it wasn’t his former idea. “What do you think Wendy?”

“Fine.” At least that meant they could do the project without having to meet up. Wendy didn’t mind Irene (since she had a crush on her), but she didn’t like Sehun. And it was pretty obvious that Sehun was not a big fan of Wendy either. 

However, it turned out that they would still be meeting anyway outside of school to decide what themes they should write about. 

“Here, this is my address,” Irene gave Wendy an index card with the information on it. “You can make it right?”

Wendy nodded because how could she say no to her crush? She took the card and put it safely in her notebook. 

“See you then.” But when she bade farewell to the senior, she noticed Irene watching her so intently. 

Into her eyes. 

 

“I have to go to someone’s house for the project,” Wendy told Tiffany at dinner. “This weekend.”

“Oh? Where?”

“Not far. It’s close to the manor communities.” Irene lived in a modest house in the nicer part of town. 

“That is a bit far,” Tiffany said slowly. She didn’t own a car and commuted by bus to her office job just a half hour away. They lived in the rough downtown area, where living was cheap but pay was low. 

“I’ll be fine,” Wendy told her. 

“What time are you meeting?”

“In the early afternoon.”

“Ok. Don’t stay long. Be back before sunset. I don’t want anything to happen to you.” 

Wendy nodded. Tiffany was always worried about her because of their secret. They were considered supernatural, and humans interpreted the folklore shifters as violent vicious beasts. Wendy wasn’t sure what would happen if they were discovered to be real and she did not want to find out. 

She hadn’t told Tiffany about the big mistake she made (Irene seeing her green eyes). It would only stress her adoptive mother out, and Wendy vowed never ever again to up like that. Irene hadn’t said anything, but Wendy wasn’t sure if she remembered or not. 

“I’ll give you some anti-morphing medicine just in case,” Tiffany told her. “The full moon is near.”

For the first time in her life, Wendy stepped up to the front porch of Irene’s house. 

It looked well kept and the garden was just like the magazines. 

When Irene let her in, it felt so weird because she was so used to coming in through the window. 

“I have to leave at 5pm,” Wendy told her. “So I get home before dark.”

“Do you need a ride?” Irene asked. “My mom will be home soon.”

“No thanks.”

She followed Irene to the back room where Sehun was already waiting for them. 

Seungwan stopped when she saw Sehun sitting at a spot on the sofa where she and Irene would sit together—when she was a cat of course. It made her bristle with irritation, but she managed to regain her composure and greet him, although delayed. 

 

The trio worked out a plan, and it seemed that they would be able to do more independent work for now before putting the poems together. 

“See you at school,” Irene said when Wendy stepped onto the front porch at the end of the meeting.  

“Bye.”

“Wendy, Wait!” Irene burst out just as Seungwan reached the bottom of the steps. “Thanks for saving me the other day.”

The latter turned to her and only nodded before walking away. 

Irene felt a bit puzzled. She had been doing her best to be friendly, but Wendy was aloof and mysterious. 

Then again, Irene had been cold towards her and didn’t pay much attention to her before now. She always felt a little paranoid whenever anyone approached her. 

 

“How’d it go?” Tiffany asked as Wendy drank some water. 

“It went better than I expected. Thanks for making the potion.”

The older woman smiled and ruffled Wendy’s hair. “I want to make sure you’re safe.”

“So everyone who’s coming will bring snacks and I know someone who can Dj for us,” Seulgi told Irene. “Still at your place right?”

“Oh...I forgot to ask my mom about that.” Irene had been more curious about Wendy and anticipating her cat’s return that that part of her deal completely slipped her mind. “I’ll ask tonight.”

“Okay great! Next week is gonna be a blast!” Joy gushed. 

“Oh by the way, how’s it working with that Wendy girl?” Seulgi asked curiously. “Rumor has it she’s part of a dark cult.”

“What the hell?” Joy coughed. 

“She’s an orphan,” Sehun told them. “And she was homeschooled before now so that explains her antisocial behavior.”

Irene gave him a curious look. “How did you know that?”

“My father works in the council. All informations about anyone here is located in their records.”

 

Wendy was dosing off in a good thick book when the warning bell for the end of lunch break rang out. She cursed under her breath and hurried to class. 

She was still feeling sleepy so she hardly noticed Irene in passing as she slipped into class among the sea of students in the halls. 

By luck, there was a seat in the middle row of class, which gave her only the view of Irene’s back but it was enough. The wind from outside wove in and brought Irene’s sweet and lavender scent to her. 

 

Later when she was home, Wendy chewed on her pencil eraser as she tried to come up with at least one good poem to start her part of the project.  They were including a nature theme so she wanted to start with that first because it seemed easiest. 

The only thing she could think about was her anticipation to see Irene again on the full moon. 

 

At the Bae’s residence, Irene sat with her parents for dinner. She had made it for them with the meal kit recipe, and it turned out alright. 

“This is great, Irene,” her father praised. “You’d make a great wife.”

“It’s a shame you’re not going to prom,” Mrs. Bae said. 

“Actually, about that, would it be ok if my friends came over?” Irene asked.

“Of course! We’re so glad you have a social life. It was getting a bit worrying...” Mrs. Bae fussed. 

“We won’t be home that weekend. So make sure everyone leaves at 10pm. And no alcohol.”

“Yes Mom, Dad.”

Irene was glad her parents gave a curfew. She really wanted to spend time with her cat since the party was the same day as the full moon. 

“By the way, who’s your new friend?” Mrs. Bae asked. “I’ve been waiting to meet her since you mentioned your little get together.” It was just like her mom to feel like she needed to evaluate anyone Irene met. 

“The project? Her name is Wendy, I think she’s a first year. She was homeschooled before so...we haven’t spoken much outside of class work. I think she’s a bit shy.”

Her parents exchanged glances but said nothing more about her. 

Wendy was busy redoing her uniform tie at the school bathroom that morning. It was yet till the bell would ring and she had probably messed up twice in the last five minutes. 

. Tiffany always did it better. 

Wendy undid it and tried again, recounting the steps. 

Just as she pulled the knot, she heard loud commotion and she quickly hopped into a stall because she was too nervous to face anyone in this enclosed space. 

No one had forgotten that she practically tackled Irene to the ground, thoufh it was old news. 

“Did you guys get invited to the party?” She heard someone squeal. 

“You mean Irene’s party?”

“Yeah, I cant believe Irene and Sehun would pass up getting crowned prom king and queen.”

“Hey. Guess they wanted privacy, if you know what I mean,” another voice said suggestively. 

Wendy’s lips curled with disgust at the thought of Sehun seducing Irene and her blood boiled. 

“I hope I get invited. It’s gonna be so lit.”

“It’s probably only the popular people, dimwit. We’re way out of her league.”

When they all found a stall, Wendy quickly washed her hands and exited the restroom. 

Huh. A party. On prom night?

That was on the day of the full moon, when she planned to visit Irene as a cat. 

Wendy was sure she wouldn’t be invited so there was no need for worry. 

Except Sehun. 

Irene didn’t strike Wendy as a party person so she found it strange that the senior would throw such a big event. 

She shrugged it off. Perhaps it was peer pressure. Irene’s friends were social butterflies and her parents were always on her case about having a thriving social life. 

Maybe she’d like it at my place, Wendy thought as she walked to class. It’s not the nicest, but it’s quiet. 

Nah, that’s just wishful thinking. 

She will never want to be with the likes of me. 

What Wendy did know was she was definitely going to that party. 

 

“I’m so stoked for the party!” Seulgi exclaimed. 

“You’re just thinking about all the food you can get,” Jackson joked with her. 

Irene chewed on her food while listening to her friends ramble excitedly about the coming weekend. She hoped it wouldn’t get too wild. 

“Are you inviting Wendy?” Joy asked. 

“Oh...I hadn’t thought of that. We’re not very well acquainted yet...” Irene replied tentatively. 

“This party is just friends remember?” Sehun told Joy.

“But you’re inviting some of your friends,” Joy countered. “Why not her? We might even get some tea about her.”

He laughed. “Naw, besides, the life of the party is the guys and you. We need to make it a great experience for Irene!” Sehun nudged Irene with an elbow. “Right?”

Irene gave him an uneasy look. “Just don’t go overboard. Everyone has to leave at 10pm and no alcohol. My parents are trusting me.”

“Of course.”

Wendy joined Tiffany at the kitchen to take the special potion for tonight. 

It taste awful as usual and Tiffany rewarded her with chicken. They hadn’t done that in a while. Treats were used when Tiffany had trouble making a child Wendy take the concoction. 

“Alright. Be careful. Don’t get into any trouble. Be back before sunrise,” Tiffany instructed her. 

“I will. Be safe.”

Wendy went outside to the balcony and stared up at the night sky. The full moon loomed overhead, brighter than the closest stars around. 

The breeze picked up slightly and Wendy shut her eyes as she let go and transformed. 

 

Irene was astounded at the state of her home. Her friends had gotten a DJ and a cheap light show machine to make it look like some kind of night club. 

Also there was a lot of food, mainly fast food and take out and lots of dessert. 

The party was supposed to start at 7pm and end at 10pm. Irene really hoped people would remember that. And her friends promised to help clean up the mess so she hoped they would not bail out. 

She glanced out the window and searched for a familiar figure in the growing darkness. 

Her cat wasn’t here yet. 

What if she gets scared off by the noise?

Her heart sank with dismay, but she tried not to feel too disappointed. 

Maybe I should try to enjoy tonight, she thought as she went to join her friends set up the food. 

There was a lot of pizza, fried chicken, and other party kinds of finger foods. Soda cans and water bottles were tossed into a cooler Joy brought. 

Soon, other people from their group started arriving and Irene hoped to the heavens that no damage would be done tonight. 

The DJ was Joy herself with the Pseudonym DJOY. She brought some Bluetooth stereo speakers to connect with her iPhone to get things rolling. 

And then the light show machine. 

And then the people. 

The music was a bit too loud for Irene’s liking but she did her best to stay put. She made her way to Joy and practically screamed. There was a lot more people than she recognized but they were all from school. 

She squeezed her way to Seulgi who was wolfing down chicken. 

“Hey, Unnie! Having fun?” Seulgi beamed. 

“Uh...sure.” She grabbed a sprite and popped open the cap before taking a drink. The sweetness woke her up. 

 

 

Wendy padded along the street and could already hear the party from where she was. She scampered across the backyards and finally made it into Irene’s. Arrays of lights beamed out of the windows and she could feel the bass pounding in her chest. 

She leaped up onto the window sill where Irene usually waited for her. It was slightly open so she could scent all sorts of things in the house. There was a lot of people from school. She saw Seulgi stuffing her face, Joy dancing like crazy with some guy, but then a herd of people got in the way jumping with sodas in their hands. 

Wendy reared on her back legs trying to spot Irene through the sea of bodies and lights. 

Not even a sign. 

She leapt back down to the back steps and made her way to Irene’s bedroom window. The curtains were slightly drawn and the lights were on. She heard Irene’s voice slightly muffled because of the barrier between them. Irene was talking to someone. 

 

Irene was getting a little tired of the party and decided to recharge a little in her bedroom.

“You ok?” Sehun had followed her. 

“Yeah, I’m fine.” 

“How’re you liking the party?”

“It’s good to see everyone having fun.” She glanced at her watch. Just another hour left and by the state of things, there would be a lot to clean this weekend.

Sehun smiles. “I know you’re not the social type, but we wanted to show you how fun it can be.”

“Thanks.” Although she would have preferred not to have a party. 

“We’re seniors so it’s the last time we can chill out before college,” he added. 

“I suppose so...” 

She gasped when Sehun gently grasped her arm and drew closer to her. He was watching her with a softness in his eyes that she wasn’t used to. “Sehun, what are you doing?” 

“Ugh...sorry. I thought this was the moment.”

Before anything could happen, there was some loud meowing and scratching at the window. 

Irene recognized that. My cat!

She ripped away from him and went to open the window to let in Seungwan. 

The cat purred instantly and leapt onto Irene’s arms, clinging on to her shoulder with her claws. 

“You have a cat?” Sehun asked. 

“She visits me,” Irene replied feeling so much more at ease with Seungwan here. 

“Aren’t you afraid of them?”

“Not her. She’s different.” Irene Seungwan’s head affectionately. 

 

Meanwhile, Wendy in her cat form felt jubilant about how she stopped Sehun from doing anything with Irene. That idiot was gonna kiss her!

She noticed how disappointed and jealous he looked when she was occupying Irene’s arms. Of course, he did not know it was Wendy.  

But something about Sehun seemed off. A faint scent came off him that was characteristic of her kind. 

But she couldn’t really tell for sure with all the scents of food and body odor from the party. 

Why hadn’t I noticed before?

Wendy did not usually exercise her supernatural abilities in human form so it was likely she missed out on this. But, today was also the full moon, which was when shifted abilities and  characteristics were harder to contain. 

Sehun couldn’t possibly be a shifter right? He would have the same problem too.

But Wendy decided not to dwell on that and enjoy basking under Irene’s attention. 

Wendy awoke bright and early before Irene did. 

She had left the window open again so Wendy could slip out easily. 

Wendy gazed at Irene’s sleeping form. The senior had been so tired from the party.

Time to go. 

She hopped out into the backyard and returned home, where she transformed back into her human form. 

“Wendy, where have you been?” Tiffany asked. 

“Placed.”

“You stink. Go shower.”

It must be the party, Wendy mused to herself once she was standing under the running water.