-2-

Secret Life

A note about ages in this story: I swapped the ages around. Joy is older than Wendy in this one. 

Irene: 17 (fourth year)

Seulgi: 17 (fourth year)

Joy: 16 (third year)

Wendy: 14 (first year) 

 

Also in this universe, homouality isn’t really accepted so just a heads up for what's to come later.

Thanks.

Irene was still in a daze as she stared into Wendy’s eyes. 

“They’re...green,” Irene whispered. 

The younger girl frowned but then gasped in horror, and the weight on top of Irene’s body quickly disappeared. 

“Oh my gosh!” More voices were joining. “What’s going on?”

Irene sat up slowly as she watched Wendy running away from her. 

 

“Irene!” Joy rushed to her side as Wendy disappeared into the fray of students. “What happened?”

“She...she pushed me out of the way...” Irene was still in a state of shock. She realized that Wendy’s body was so warm that it covered up how cold her body had become and how shaky she was now. 

“Are you hurt?”

Irene shook her head and slowly got to her  feet with her friend’s help. 

“Let’s get you to the nurses office.” Joy helped her up, and offered an arm to lean on. 

 

Wendy sat inside a bathroom stall as she stared at her green eyes in the iPhone camera. 

. Go away! 

She shut her eyes tight and opened them again only to find that nothing had changed. 

Wendy wished she had Tiffany’s nasty medicine now. She only took the concoctions on the full moon when she transformed. In her daily human life, there usually was no need to take it since she hardly tapped into her abilities outside of that night. 

You just had to play hero, didn’t you?She scolded herself. 

There had been no time to think as she moved faster than lightning to grab Irene round the waist and tackle her out of harm’s way. 

Irene wouldn’t be fool enough to think she was one of the stuff of myths right? Maybe the older girl wouldn’t remember since she had been in a state of shock at that particular moment. 

Wendy shivered, guilt settling on her shoulders as she imagined that Tiffany might be upset to hear that she had broken one of their rules.

Never use your abilities in public. 

No matter how much Wendy tried to reason her actions, she knew that this should never happen again. 

No one had questioned her at the scene. 

Only Irene had seen her green eyes. 

 

“OmigoshIrene!” Seulgi flung herself at Irene. “Joy told me what happened! I was so worried!”

“I’m fine now,” the latter replied. 

“Joy said Wendy was with you.”

At the mention of that name, Irene recalled the moment Wendy’s body collided with hers to narrowly escape an accident.

She remembered those brilliant green irises that glowed with mixed fear and concern.

All that happened in what seemed like a split second so she couldn’t be completely sure about what she had seen. 

I must have been seeing things, she decided. It was the shock. 

“Irene? Hello?” Joy’s hand waved in front of her face. “Are you awake?”

“Uh...what? Sorry.”

“I just asked you if you’re going to prom with Sehun.”

Oh right. Irene hadn’t told her friends yet. She wasn’t sure if Sehun told his friends either, but he probably did. Irene made sure to talk to him about it in private to avoid an audience. 

Sehun seemed a little disconcerted, but he didn’t press any further and only expressed that he would have liked to go to prom with her since this was their final year of high school. 

“No.”

“What? But you and Sehun are like the perfect pair! You could have—no, you for sure would have been prom king AND queen! You would have made high school history!” Joy spluttered. 

“Seulgi, are you going to prom?” Irene asked. 

“There’s no point in going if you’re not.”

“You and Joy could go together,” she suggested with mild humor. Seulgi and Joy were inseparable since the first day they met in their PE dance class. 

“Oh that could be a good idea,” Seulgi replied, but Joy slapped her shoulder. 

“Don’t even dream about it!”

Seulgi laughed. “Well, since no one’s going how about we have our own kind of party on prom night?”

“Oohhh I like how you think,” Joy smirked. 

“I dunno...” Irene had been planning to spend the night alone. She was so looking forward to see her cat again. After their first few meetings, Irene had figured out that Seungwan only came to meet her on nights of the full moon. “I don’t really like parties...”

“You’ve never been to a party before!” Joy pointed out. “Plus, your parents keep worrying about your social life, remember? This is your chance to show them how social you really are!”

Parties are messy, Irene remembered party scenes on TV. 

Dinners with guests were already a chore. All the used dishes to be washed. And all the cleaning to prepare for the dinners. All the food to be made or ordered. 

AND the piano Irene had to perform for them so her parents could show her off. 

“We’ll help you with the prep and stuff,” Seulgi offered. “We won’t trash the place.”

“Hey guys!” Sehun appeared with his friends, Seungjae and Jackson. “Irene, I heard about what happened. How are you feeling?”

“I’m alright now,” Irene replied. “Wendy saved my life.”

“I’m relieved.” But his eyes seemed serious. 

“We’re gonna have a party!” Joy suddenly piped up. “You guys should come too!”

Sehun brightened. “Sounds great! When is it?”

Joy looked expectantly at Irene, who was at a loss for words. She didn’t want to disappoint her friends, but she also did not want to hold a big gathering at home either. 

“Guys, I...I just want a nice peaceful evening.” I really want to cuddle with my cat, was actually her reason. 

“How about Saturday?” Seulgi told her as if that were the answer to the real issue. 

“I think I have a commitment already.”

“I think it’ll be fun,” Sehun said. “I’ll help you with the arrangement and stuff. We could even have it at my house if that helps.”

“Yes!” Joy pumped a fist in the air. “And Seul and I will deal with food!” Typical. “It’s gonna be the best party you’ve ever seen, Unnie! You won’t regret it! I promise!”

“I’ll...I’ll ask my parents,” Irene gave in.

While her friends continued to chat about the maybe-party plans, Irene tuned them out and replayed the image of Wendy’s green eyes above her. 

Could I have been seeing things?

 

Wendy had been having a particularly bad day today. She should have known that the news about Irene’s near death fate would have spread like wildfire. Other students in her class and simply in passing came up to her to ask about how she saved Irene and all those dumb questions. 

Some people even scolded her for trying to get close to the almost beautiful girl on campus. As if she was trying to get some clout or whatever. 

“Playing hero to get her attention, huh, squirt?” One girl said. “Face it, you’re not even on her level!”

It was pretty annoying. 

It was also annoying that Irene was so popular, it was causing a lot of inconvenience for Wendy. 

That was the problem with liking Irene Bae. 

She was an untouched goddess in the school. The only people with Irene were her friends and Sehun. 

She could only be talked about among the commoner students. She was gossip. Holy gossip. 

And now Wendy had become gossip too. 

They should be thankful I saved her, she thought grumpily. 

The only thing that made up for this mess was the corner in the library warmed by the sun rays pooling through the window. 

It was so comfortable. Enough for a nap. 

But then the warning bell disturbed what would have been an ok day, and Wendy hurried out the library to creative writing class, hoping she’d make it in time for a seat in the back of the room. 

 

“Since it’s almost the end of the school year, I’ve decided that we should have some fun!” The creative writing teacher announced and the class cheered except Wendy. 

“We’ve focused on a lot of short stories, poetic writing, descriptive exercises, and some reflective work. But creative writing can be so much more than that. How do you think a movie can be produced? You need a script writer to make the development of the story and characters possible,” the teacher explained. “I want you to gather in groups of three or four to collaborate on a creative project. So Wendy, you’ll have to put in your weight too.” The class hummed with laughter. 

Wendy remained unfazed by the jab, but she did not appreciate the joke. 

“It can be a short story, short script or film if you wanna go the extra mile, a song—for you musicians, anything you like. Just check in with me before you embark on your creative journey!” The teacher exclaimed. 

Oh god no. 

What had she done to deserve such sinister punishment?

Wendy hated group work. 

While the rest of the class became a loud mess of working out groups, she doodled in her notebook to wait out the process. Hopefully, the teacher’s division of students hadn’t worked out so she could work solo. 

 

“Irene, do you wanna join my group?” Sehun asked. “we’re thinking of doing a song, you know, since we’re all musicians.”

But Irene wasn’t exactly listening. She turned to the back of the room, where Wendy sat alone and engrossed in her own thing. 

Is she not going to find a group? She wondered. 

No one even approached Wendy either. Perhaps her reputation as a slacker in class scared everyone off. 

Actually, she wasn’t really slacking. Wendy always did the assignments, but she wasn’t good about paying attention in lecture. 

Irene wondered if she should offer to work with her. No one really seemed to notice Wendy much. Plus, Irene still needed to thank the girl for saving her life. 

“Everyone found their groups?” The teacher asked after fifteen minutes. 

Her eyes scanned the room and stopped on a certain girl. “Wendy, did you find a group?”

“No.”

The teacher then proceeded to ask if there was space in any other groups. 

Each one she asked declined. “No, sorry.” They all said. 

Irene glanced at Wendy and then stared at the teacher before slowly raising her hand. “I...I could work with her,” she offered tentatively. 

 

 

“How was school today?” Tiffany called when Wendy entered the house loudly. 

“Awful,” the girl kicked off her shoes and entered the kitchen where her adoptive mother was cooking and baking cookies. 

“Aww, you always say that.”

“That’s cause it’s true. I have to work with that stupid girl, Irene Bae.”

“You’re making friends then.”

“I wouldn’t say that,” Wendy said. 

“Well, wash up and come down to eat. I made your favorite honey fried chicken!”

(I really want to eat that)

Wendy dropped off her things in her room and got a fresh set of clothes. She splashed water on her face and dried off with a towel. 

 

I saved Irene Bae today but...

She saw my green eyes.

 

TO BE CONTINUUE

Hi everyone, thanks for leaving feedback and for your support for all this time. Take care. 

 

See you soon :)