Prologue

Born Again -- True Redemption

Cha Hyungbin, Jung Haeun and Gong Ji-Cheol – the three unfortunate individuals who had to go through the cycle of death and rebirth. Why were they actually born again? Stories unfolded, apologies were made and hearts were broken, but everything moved them in the direction they were meant to be. Did they really discover the purpose of them being born again, or was their fate entwined on a deeper level than they understood? Were the misunderstandings really cleared? Were all the questions really answered?

Cha Hyungbin — a righteous detective in his previous life — had a chance to be reborn as Kim Soo-Hyuk and become a prosecutor. Tragic incidents in his life made him bitter towards the criminals, and he wanted them to serve in prison for as long as possible. Having a childhood trauma of losing his father to the criticism of the public — when an ex-convict committed a crime right after being released from prison because of a lenient ruling by his father — made him believe that justice can only be served if some criminals can never be released from the prison. He was never flexible in his principles, and didn’t realize that some people could actually change after serving time in prison for their crimes. It wasn’t that he used to go on a blind trail, but actually pursued the ones that all the evidence pointed against. The point where he went wrong was in looking for the ways to increase the criminal’s sentence.

He didn’t know that things were going to change for him. On a case involving murder, the evidence pointed against Chun Jongbum who was the favored student of his beloved Jung Sabin. Being at the wrong place at the wrong time, Jongbum was shot by him in order to protect Sabin. The following events were difficult for Soo-Hyuk to handle, even though he got suspension for one year because of the shooting incident. Sabin had chosen to accept Jongbum as family, instead of being with Soo-Hyuk.

He was the first one to get memories of his previous life, and also the first one to set things right for everyone including Jongbum after sending the real criminals to prison. After choosing to resign as the prosecutor and instead work as a public defense attorney, he sincerely aimed to serve justice in a right way earning him the respect of Seo Tae-Ha who was earlier bitter with him. Life moved forward for everyone, but he was the only person whose emotional scars were yet to be healed.

Life can turn in unexpected ways at unexpected times but what will be in store for them ahead, especially for Soo-Hyuk? Were all of the three unfortunate souls actually able to seek “true” redemption?