Chapter 14 - Zico

Crashlanding
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rain came down sideways. Thunder crashed, and lightning lit up the sky. The wind shook the life raft, and I worried it might relocate us halfway down the beach. I made a mental note: anchor life raft to something tomorrow.
 

“Are you awake?” I asked Jennie. 

 

“Yes.”


The storm raged for hours. We huddled together with the blanket pulled over our heads. The thin nylon covering the roof and hanging down the sides of the life raft was all that protected us from the lightning, which was like having no protection at all. We didn’t say much, just waited for it to end and when it finally did, we went back to sleep, exhausted.


The next morning, Jennie brought back several small green coconuts blown off the tree by the storm. We split them open. The meat tasted sweet, and the water wasn’t bitter like the brown coconuts.


“These are so good,” Jennie said.


The lean-to had fallen apart and our fire had gone out so I made another one, this time using my shoelace. I tied it to the opposite ends of a curved stick. Making a loop in the string, I threaded another stick through so that it stood perpendicular to the chunk of wood I rested it on.
 

“What are you doing?” Jennie asked.


“I’m going to use this to spin the stick. That’s what the guy on TV did.”


I adjusted the tension on the string and held the stick at different angles. It took a while before I could get the stick to spin fast enough, but once it did, I got smoke in about fifteen minutes, and flames pretty soon after that.


“Hey,” Jennie said. “That was a great idea.”
 
“Thanks.” I piled on tinder and watched the fire grow. Jennie and I put the lean-to back together.
I wiped the sweat out of my eyes and said, “I hope that’s the worst storm we ever have.” I leaned the last stick up against the lean-to. “Because I don’t know what we’re goin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter