Baby Steps

Love Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One

"The closer I get to you; somehow, I become more afraid that you'll be further away." [Baby Steps - TTS]

Only one month left before the start of a new school year at SM University. All the students are busy either enrolling or moving back to their respective dormitories. Freshmen students are more nervous than ever as they were always told of horror stories about college life. From terror professors to bullies and heartbreakers. They were told that college is different from high school, as this is their training ground before entering  the real world. Well, horror stories aside, it is also in college where lasting friendships and even romance could blossom.

What awaits the students this year? A small-time fortune teller said that ghosts from the past could come back and disrupt the present while buds from what was long buried would finally bloom.

In a specific dormitory called EXO Dorm, rowdy boys are celebrating someone's farewell party.

"I can't believe Kris hyung and Luhan hyung graduated from the university," the youngest boy deadpanned which earned him a smack from his doe-eyed hyung, Luhan.

"Just say you'll miss me, Sehun-ah. Hyung might enroll for another year for you," he teased the younger boy who just made face making the rest of the boys laughed out loud.

"Sehunnie this is making Junmyeon hyung jealous," Junmyeon said cutely and feigning sadness making Kyungsoo roll his eyes while Sehun pretended not to hear his hyung's remark. Making the beagle line laugh even more. Baekhyun kept on making face and weird noises to annoy Junmyeon, but it was Kyungsoo who got annoyed. The short boy aimed at his noisy friend, but his fast reflexes helped him dodge it; making the attack land on the laughing Jongdae who started whining. The rest could only laugh, while Minseok pretended that none of this is happening.

"Waeeeee? Why meeeeeee?" The rest of the boys covered their ears from his loud whining, and Kyungsoo could only sigh in defeat. Times like this are making him question why does he continue living with these loud and immature fellows. 

"Hey Chanyeol! Stop hitting me just because you are laughing," Kris said to the tall boy who is literally rolling on the floor and flapping his long limbs around. Which made Chanyeol hit him more, Kris could only sigh. He would miss this rowdy scene that made up most of his college life, at the same time he feels glad that maybe peace would finally come.

"Where is Yixing hyung?" Jongin chimed in while munching tacos.

"He is still at his grandmother's house. He said that he would come back next week," Minseok explained and the younger lad could only nod in response.

"I haven't enrolled, yet. The line in the cashier is still long. How about you guys?" Sehun said out of the blue.

"I did, yesterday." Junmyeon said, the others also nodded in agreement. 

"I haven't enrolled, too. Do you want to go with me tomorrow, Sehun-ah?" Baekhyun said and smiled at the maknae. He's thinking if he would agree to his hyung or more. Sehun lives by being annoying.

"Okay! But I don't wanna go with you, I'd rather go with Luhan hyung," Sehun said sassily watching his hyung's fake hurt reaction and laughed. While his other innocent hyung has a troubled look.

"I can't go with you tomorrow, Sehun-ah. I need to pack up my things and move back to our house," Luhan genuinely felt sad that he couldn't accompany his dongsaeng. Sehun felt a little guilty as he sighed and agreed on going out with Baekhyun tomorrow.

"How about you, Chanyeol hyung?" the maknae looked at him hopefully. Chanyeol shook his head, "babe time tomorrow. I will surprise Rose," he said his eyes twinkling in delight as he think about his girlfriend. Sehun faked vomitted as a reaction to the cheesiness. Jongin acted as if he's using an air spray to remove the "cooties" from Chanyeol.

"Do you think there's gonna be pretty babes there? Preferably first year students!" Baekhyun brightly asked them with a hint of mischief in his eyes. While the older boys could only sigh at their dongsaeng's cassanova ways. Sehun, meanwhile excitedly hugged his hyung hoping that there would be pretty girls in the Psychology Department.

"We all know that the hottest girls are always in the Accountancy or Business Departments," Jongdae stated as-the-matter-of-factly wriggling his eyebrows. Upon hearing that, Junmyeon sighed and smacked his head.

"Yah! Kim Jongdae! You have a girlfriend, stop checking out other girls! Allow us to have some babe, too," Baekhyun said jokingly and the rest of them bickered.

Kyungsoo suddenly left as he, with Minseok, silently cleaned the area for they were done eating.

"Kyungsoo hyung's cooking is the only reason I'm still staying with all of you idiots!" Jongin shouted to them and he helped out in cleaning.

"For all we know, you're just trying to be on hyung's good side," Sehun snickered as he stucked his tongue to Jongin who just made face as he cleared the table.

On a different three-girl dormitory:

Living in this spacious and chic dormitory are Kim Sejeong, Krystal Jung, and Kim Taeyeon. The three of them are incoming students of SM University.

Kim Sejeong is a Theater Arts major, Krystal Jung is an Political Science major, while Taeyeon is a Psychology major. It's their first time meeting, but they already warmed up to each other. Taeyeon and Sejeong are particularly close as they are both mood-makers and have a happy-go-lucky persona, specifically Sejeong. Krystal is more aloof and y, but the two girls know that she is a really nice girl deep inside.

"Do you think there would be handsome boys in the university?" Sejeong excitedly ask them, her eyes twinkling in delight as she imagine falling in love with a handsome, aloof boy who would sweep her off her feet.

"I don't care about boys. I don't like them, they are stupid and a bunch of good-for-nothing liars," Krystal said coldly her eyes rolling, every word is laced with venom. In which, Sejeong could only laugh nervously.

"I am not that into boys, also. I currently have a boyfriend. So..." Taeyeon trailed off with a shy smile. 

"OMG! Good for you! Tell us about it," Sejeong said as she shook the shy Taeyeon, For once, Krystal is mildly interested in her dormmate's love life.

"He's a third year in YG University studying Music," Taeyeon smiled as she remembers Kwon Jiyong, her boyfriend for four months.

"How did you two meet? How long have you been dating?" Krystal chimed in curiously. Even if she has no interests in boys, she would want to be updated regarding her dormmates' love life.

"Well..." Taeyeon began telling her love story to them, and the girls bonded as the night get deeper.

The next morning, the three girls planned to go to the university to familiarized themselves in the place where they would spend the next four years of their lives. Krystal and Taeyeon needed to go to the library to check the references and books that's already assigned for their class. Sejeong just wanted to come along as she hated being left on her own, she might also go sightseeing for handsome boys! The mere thought of it makes her smile brightly.

At SM University:

Sehun and Baekhyun went there early around 10:00am to enroll, look for their books for the incoming semester, and attend club meetings.

"Yah hyung, Joingin said he would join us later at 3:00pm," Sehun said showing the older boy their friend's message. Baekhyun just nodded and hummed while driving. Sehun, on the other hand, was playing mobile games.

"Sehun-ah, stop playing. We're almost there,"  Baekhyun cooed at the younger guy who just ignored him. Baekhyun smiled mischievously as he thought of a way to break his younger friend's concentration in the game.

Baekhyun suddenly hit the brakes of the car and Sehun threw his phone in shock.

"Yah! Stupid Baekhyun-hyung, now I'm sure I'll lose," Sehn said pouting and glaring at his friend who could only smile sheepishly. His glare was intensified when his hunch was correct, he did lose. "I told you we're almost in the university, you should be grateful I even accompanied you," Baekhyun said and tapped his friend's shoulder, while the latter pursed his lips together and his knuckles cutely forming a ball. 

Sehun was just sulking along the way to the registrar's office while Baekhyun had his arms around him. He really enjoys teasing the younger boy to watch because he finds him adorable when sulking. He couldn't even stop himself from laughing at his younger friend's antics, making the said boy's mood even more sullen.

After paying at the registrar's office, the two went to the Psychology department faculty office because Sehun has some clarifications regarding his syllabus for the incoming school year. As they opened the door, Baekhyun was shocked to see a familiar figure smiling at one of the professors, "Kim Taeyeon," he mumbled under his breath, barely audible but it seems like the woman heard him and she looked at him. Her reaction is a mixture of shock, disgust, and hurt. It was only for a brief second, but Baekhyun thought that it lasted eternity. It's been almost two years since he last saw her, she looks even more beautiful. "Do you know her hyung? She's a cutie. It's the first time I saw her, must be a first year," Sehun casually said eyeing the said girl who rolled her eyes at them. The action shocked Sehun, it was then that he noticed that she was not alone. She's with another cute girl who's smiling brightly at them and waved, he noticed her saying something to her friend, and the friend just sighed and shook her head.

'Why am I seeing a ghost here? I thought he's already dead," Taeyeon thought and sighed as she noticed the man who left her without a single word two years ago standing at the end of the room. Sejeong noticed the two handsome looking at them and she smiled, "Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost," Sejeong said worriedly, as much as Taeyeon would want to scream "yes" she just sighed and shook her head, "I'm okay. Let's just get out of here. Krystal must have been waiting for us at the library," she said and dragged her friend out of there as soon as the professor said she can go.

For a brief moment, Taeyeon and Baekhyun's brushed onto each other; a familiar spark sent shivers down their spine. One that he can't help but smile at as the scent of rose lingered where she once stood. 'Am I dreaming? I can't believe I'll see her again and she still uses the same perfume.'

"Why are you just standing there Baekhyun hyung? Let's go to Mr. Lee, now. And oh, I received a message from Jongin that he's at the library, he'll wait for us there," Sehun said and smacked his friend in the head. Why is he spacing out in the middle of the day? Who is that girl? It's true that she's cute, but she's not breathtakingly beautiful like her. The mere thought of the girl he likes brought a smile onto his face.

"You look well," was Baekhyun's silent remark as they passed each other which almost took her breath away.

Taeyeon looked back at the man who also looked at her as she closed the door. He never changed. He still had that cocky smile and baby scent she remembers, she shook her head at the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter