Secrets Can Kill

KEEP ME SAFE

 

Kai continued to sleep in Sehun’s room with not obvious intention of returning anytime soon, so Ji moved in with Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo didn’t like it, but he didn’t have a valid reason to stop it. He had a spare bed in his room now.

 

‘Why are you being like this?’ demanded Kyungsoo when he finally got Kai alone.

 

‘Like what?’ answered Kai, looking agitated. He tried to look everywhere else but at his boyfriend.

 

‘Why did you move in with Sehun? Is he your boyfriend now?’ If they were over he needed to know. He needed to understand why he was being hurt like this. He needed Kai to tell him what was going on behind their closed bedroom door.

 

‘Are you with Ji?’ Kai’s eyes drilled into Kyungsoo. He wouldn’t answer any questions about him and Sehun until Kyungsoo told him the truth about Ji. He wasn’t the one disappearing, who knows where all the time with Mr y Longlegs. He didn’t give lame excuses for coming back all flushed and aching, like he just had a long workout or something. Kai knew Kyungsoo hated to exercise, so what had he been doing? He knew Kyungsoo was keeping secrets, and he wasn’t putting up with it any longer.

 

‘You left our room, Kai,’  he complained. ‘You left me.’ Kyungsoo was annoyed with Kai being focused on Ji. He didn’t want to talk about Ji, he wanted to talk about them.

 

‘Then I guess you have your answer.’ Kai pushed pass him and stormed off. If Kyungsoo wouldn’t answer his questions honestly, then why should he.

 

‘What’s my goddam answer Kai?’ yelled Kyungsoo, glaring at his departing back, too frustrated to care who heard him. ‘,’ he screeched at the top of his lungs and tossed his mic across the stage with as much force as he could muster. He jammed his hands on his hips, closed his eyes, and lifted his face to the heavens.

 

He was so angry right now he could commit murder. If his stalker stepped in front of him right now, they would be dead meat. He would welcome their presence because he needed to hit something. Where the hell was Ji? Kyungsoo narrowed eyes started scanning the edges of the stage.

 

The other members in EXO watched him with concern but said nothing. Kai and Kyungsoo had tiffs before, but they always managed to fix things.

 

‘Soo, do you want to talk?’ asked Suho, approaching him. Kyungsoo rarely opened up to people, but occasionally he would confide in Suho.

 

Kyungsoo eventually looked at him, blinking away the tears in his eyes. ‘I can’t but thank you for caring.’ Kyungsoo reached out to rest his hand on Suho’s forearm, appreciating the human contact, as he watched Kai and Sehun disappearing somewhere off stage together.

 

‘We only have two more nights, then we go home.’ Suho followed Kyungsoo's worried eyes, and he sighed. This situation could become difficult. ‘One concert back home, then we have a break. Hang in there, Soo. You can do it,’ encouraged their leader, giving him one of his winning smiles.

 

Ji came up to them then and Suho stepped away, letting the handsome man guide Kyungsoo to his own dressing room. The others complained about Kyungsoo getting his own room, but apparently the orders came down from Mr Zhang himself. The only person allowed in the room apart from Kyungsoo was Ji.

 

Suho did what he could to smooth over the others complaints, even when he wasn't privy to the exact reasons why it was happening. He assured them that Management had ordered the separate room to ensure their privacy and not because Kyungsoo had requested it. He reminded them, that Ji's requirements also needed to be considered but little niggles were slowly starting to eat away at the team dynamics. Suho hoped they could all get through this tour unscathed, especially Kyungsoo.

 

                                                                                           ***************

 

‘Okay Soo, your wire looks good to go.’ Ji turned him around to inspect the taping. ‘I’ll check it at every set break and costume change. If you feel it slipping, come to me and I’ll stick it back down.’ Kyungsoo nodded and the pair joined the others on stage.

 

Kai wouldn’t look at Kyungsoo or acknowledge him, but that was okay because all the people roaming around back stage were distracting him. How had he not noticed the number of people milling around, talking in little groups, or just standing off to the side watching them? Anyone of them could be his stalker. Kyungsoo had never felt more vulnerable and exposed. He found himself constantly looked towards Ji for reassurance and the other members noticed but said nothing.

 

Ji rushed to Kyungsoo between every set to check his wire was still in place and because he could see he was nervous. ‘I’m here, Soo. There’s no need for you to be worried,’ he reassured him as his hand skimmed over the idol’s body in a quick discrete check, which they thought nobody would notice. Ji expertly ran his hand down Kyungsoo’s chest around his waist to the middle of his back following the wire down to the top of his pants where the power box rested. Kyungsoo would stand there patiently, zoning out. The entire thing over within a few seconds.

 

‘All good,’ announced his bodyguard and Kyungsoo would rush back into formation.

 

‘What the hell is up with you two?’ hissed Baek, annoyed with Kyungsoo for flaunting his new relationship in their faces. ‘Ji needs to keep his hands to himself when we're out in public.’ Kyungsoo just kept walking back to his position without acknowledging Baek. 'ing unbelievable,' he complained to anyone who cared to listen, before stomping off to his spot. 

 

Kyungsoo didn’t respond because he was too busy listening to Ji talking to him through his earpiece. He was letting him know where to find him and where the others were positioned. Once he identified all the locations Ji mentioned, he felt better. Kyungsoo smiled and gave him two thumbs up. When he turned to face the EXO members, they were all frowning at him.

 

‘What?’

 

The EXO members didn’t bother replying because they were called back on stage but their disapproval was obvious. Kyungsoo just shrugged. He couldn't do anything about something he knew nothing about and so he simpy rushed out after them.

 

On the third costume change, Suho burst into Kyungsoo’s private dressing room to confront the pair. Things were getting uncomfortable within the team and on stage. The guys were not happy with Kyungsoo and Ji behaviour or his special treatment. Kyungsoo had his own dressing room, his own food, and his own little helpers. He needed a quick word with Kyungsoo to address what was happening before they went back out.

 

He stopped when he saw Ji reattaching the wire around Kyungsoo's waist. ‘Someone better explain?’

 

‘Close the door,’ instructed Ji, not bothering to stop what he was doing. ‘Drink Kyungsoo.’ He reminded the elder, gently nudging his elbow.

 

Kyungsoo gave a start and did as he was told.

 

Ji finished taping him and handed him his shirt before answering. ‘Soo has been getting death threats. Not you normal fan rants but the serious I going to kill you kind. Management hired me to protect him.’ Ji took the shirt from Kyungsoo's limp hands and helped dress him. The stress of Suho finding out was obviously messing with the idol’s functioning ability. ‘The CEO and Management didn’t want any of you guys to know because whoever is threatening Soo in on staff. They could be anyone wondering around your stage or someone in one of the support teams.’

 

‘We can help protect him,’ responded Suho, shocked by what he was hearing. ‘He’s one of us.’ They would never let anything happen to one of their own.

 

‘It’s my job to protect him. Your job is to go out there and pretend like nothing has changed,’ he corrected him. ‘Can you do that?’ Ji looked at Suho doubtfully.

 

‘I.. I I. can,’ he stammered, surprised by the imposing change in Ji persona. ‘Does Kai know?’

 

‘What did I just say to you,’ reiterated Ji, sighing. ‘If people behave differently with Soo, it might tip off our stalker and they will probably disappear until who knows when. I need to catch them now before Soo gets hurt.’

 

Suho shudder at the thought of Soo getting hurt. He reached forward and clasped Kyungsoo’s shoulder. ‘If Ji can’t be with you, come to me. Okay,’ Suho looked earnestly into his eyes and waited for Kyungsoo to nod. ‘Okay, you ready to go.’ He looked over at Ji, who nodded. ‘Let’s go.’ Suho smiled warmly at him, slipping his arm around his shoulder. Kyungsoo felt happy for the first time in weeks.

 

                                                                                     *****************

 

They got through the next few days without incident and flew back home exhausted. Suho paid extra attention to Kyungsoo and if the others noticed they said nothing. They were still reserved with Kyungsoo, but otherwise they were their normal selves except for Kai and Sehun, who still avoided him. Well, Kai mainly. Sehun was normal for the most part.

 

Kyungsoo let them be. Kai said they were over so he had to accept it. Ji held him at night when he cried, and now he had Suho.

 

Ji had to report to his base, so Kyungsoo agreed to stay in the dorm and Suho stayed with him.

 

‘Soo, you really should tell Kai what’s happening.’ He could see the telltale signs of the strain Kyungsoo was under and he felt like they needed to do something to help him. Kyungsoo always looked exhausted and his complexion was paler than normal, if they was even possible. Kyungsoo would break if he didn’t get help soon.

     

‘I can’t. It doesn’t matter now, anyway. We aren’t together anymore.’ Kai hadn’t slept in their room for three weeks and he hadn’t spoken to him for five days but who was counting. It felt like a lifetime to him. ‘The rest of the guys hate me because they think I cheated on Kai when he’s the one that went off with Sehun.’ Kyungsoo wanted to cry but he blinked back his tears. He had already cried too many tears. He had to stay focused. Ji had warned him about spacing out when he needed to be vigilant. Even in the safety of the dorm he couldn’t afford that luxury. Spacing out could not become a diversion habit.

 

‘They are just friends.’

 

‘Yeah, like everyone believes Ji and I are just friends.’

 

‘Please talk to Kai when you can,’ encouraged Suho, with deep sadness in his eyes. He wanted to reassure him that what he said was correct, but who knew what went on behind closed doors. They said they were only friends and Suho was willing to accept them at their word, but he understood why Kyungsoo might not.

 

‘Hey, don’t worry about us. I’ll patch things up with him, eventually. I’ve faced worse and survived. Like a death stalker,’ he announced in a scary haunted house tone, a half smile on his face trying to make light of his situation.

 

‘That’s not funny Soo,’ growled Suho, shocked he could joke about what was happening. This was serious stuff. Death threats were not funny. Kyungsoo told him about his stuff going missing from the dorm and studio's, only to turn up later. It was shocking to think someone could get so close without being noticed. It also explained why they planted Ji in the dorm with Kyungsoo.

 

‘I’ve been living with this constant fear for months, maybe not all as intense as these recent weeks but hey.’ He fell silent, as he considered how it had changed him. ‘Part of me wants them to just kill me and be done with it.’

 

‘Don’t say that, Soo. Never say that,’ growled Suho, mortified by he words.

 

Kyungsoo smiled at his friend, appreciating his concern. ‘I’m still here aren’t I, even though I feel like I’m slowly dying. Piece by piece, I’m losing who and what I am. My world and my life are falling apart and I can’t stop it.’ Kyungsoo couldn’t look at Suho, but he leaned into his welcoming embrace.

 

‘Tell him.’ Suho pressed, he knew that Kyungsoo would cope better if Kai was by his side, but he understood why they kept it a secret. It didn’t mean he liked it though.

 

‘He’ll find out, eventually. I’m thinking about leaving after our concert next week.’

 

‘That’s an excellent idea, Soo. Go home, see your family. Things will be different when you come back.’

 

‘No, I mean leaving EXO.’ Kyungsoo felt Suho stiffen next to him. He was glad their leader remained silent, waiting for him to explain himself. ‘These last few months have shown me how fragile this world is. It’s a beautiful but frail place. An illusion of glitter and glamour, hiding so much pain and disappointment. I don’t want this anymore. I want a quiet life, away from drama and people who want to own me. I want a life thats solid and real.’ Kyungsoo stole a glance at Suho’s face. ‘Don’t you ever feel like that?’

 

‘Yeah, Soo. I feel like that some days, but I guess you have more reason to feel like that than others.’ Suho knew Kyungsoo expected more from him, but he didn’t want to think about life after EXO. He didn’t want to think about EXO fading from the spotlight like the other groups that went before them. When that time came and only then he would assess his options.

 

Kyungsoo had always been too earthy for the trappings of their stage life. Suho understood his need to leave and would support him when he decided it was time. He hoped Kyungsoo would stay until the end, but in his heart he knew that would probably not happen.

 

‘I’m so tired. Do you mind if I sleep next to you?’ Kyungsoo wriggled down the bed and drew the comforter over himself. ‘Don’t leave me,’ he murmured, his hand gripping the hem of Suho shirt as his eyes closed.

 

‘I promise I’ll stay right here.’ Suho sat listening to Kyungsoo’s steady breathing. He wished he could tell the others, but he knew he would risk his friend’s life if he did. It hurt listening to the others judge Kyungsoo so harshly, but his hands were tied. Kyungsoo didn’t deserve what was happening. He would talk to Ji when he came back. There had to be another way.

    

                                                                                                *********************

 

Kai and Sehun came back to the dorm early and popped their heads into Suho's room to let him know they were back. It surprised them to find Kyungsoo snuggled into Suho’s body, his arms wrapped around him securely as the pair slept soundly.

 

Sehun forcefully dragged Kai away because he seemed to have forgotten how to move. He pushed him into their room and onto the bed. Sehun crash down beside him. ‘You need to talk to Soo.’

 

‘I know,’ sighed Kai, rolling onto his stomach and dragging his pillow towards himself. ‘I really miss him.’

 

‘He’s still here,’ argued Sehun, looking dispassionately at his friend.

 

‘I told him we were over,’ he groaned wishing he’d held his tongue but he was so jealous that night, that he said dumb stuff. He cringed every time he thought about it. He should have stayed and talked it out or yelled it out if necessary, but he didn’t. Here they were, days later and they still haven’t spoken to each other.

 

‘That was stupid.’

 

‘Thank you for stating the obvious.’

 

‘Kai, you sleep in here. We are always together. What do you imagine Kyungsoo is thinking? Probably the same dumb you’re thinking is happening between him and Ji,’ complained Sehun, with a slight frown.

 

‘I don’t,’ argued Kai, although his face said otherwise.

 

‘Well, good for you because they have more chance of something happening between them, than us.’ Sehun snatched the pillow out from under his arms and smacked him over the head.

 

‘Yah, I can't help it if I don't find skinny noodles attractive,’ complained Kai, shoving Sehun's leg. He fixed his hair before retrieving his pillow, tucking it back under him.

 

Sehun just rolled his eyes at him. ‘,’ he growled. Sehun liked Kyungsoo. He always had a special soft spot for him. He didn’t enjoy seeing him hurt, and he knew he was. ‘Have you noticed a change in his behaviour lately?’

 

‘What, like days, weeks, months? What’s do you mean by lately?’ Kai looked at Sehun, confused.

 

‘Something has been off with him for months. Don’t you think it’s strange that he had those private meetings with the CEO and then suddenly we have Ji staying with us.’

 

‘They already explained it.’

 

‘More to the point, Ji is always next to or near Soo,’ continued Sehun as if he hadn’t heard him.

 

‘All of which I already knew,’ complained Kai, tired of thinking about Ji and Kyungsoo always being together. ‘I asked him about his visits and he said it was about a movie offer. Ji is with him because of the same movie offer. You were in the room when Mr Zhang introduced him and told us about it.’

 

‘I heard what he said, but sometimes Ji reminds me of that guy on K2. You know, the hot bodyguard. Ji watches everything and keeps track of Soo all the time. Just like in the show.’

 

‘Hot bodyguard,’ drawled Kai in disbelief. Sometimes the nonsense Sehun prattles on about does his head in.

 

‘Why not? He’s hot and has that whole dangerous persona thing going on.’ He noticed Kai frowning. ‘Don’t tell me you haven’t noticed. Ji’s stare is almost as cutting as Soo’s.’ Sehun shudder just thinking about it.

 

Was it possible? ‘Do you think he could be?’ he asked some time later.

 

‘Could be what?’ Sehun was looking at his phone, already having lost interest in their conversation as he scanned his fan sites.

 

‘Sometimes Sehun, I swear you have the attention span of a fish. Not just any fish but a dumb fish.’ explained Kai, happy to have his friends attention back, even if he looked grumpy. 'Could Ji really be a bodyguard?’ he asked with exaggerated slowness because Sehun looked blank.

 

‘Anyone can be bodyguard with the right clothes and a gun. Why don’t you ask him?’ Sehun slowly glared at him, annoyed at being compared to a fish.

 

‘Because if he’s not, he’ll think I’m stupid.’

 

‘He’ll only learn what we already know,’ consoled Sehun, patting Kai's shoulder with regret. He laughed happily as Kai swiped at him playfully before his expression turned serious. ‘And for your information. If I’m a fish, then I want to be Nemo, which make you Dory.’

 

Kai smiled at Sehun and his stupid pout. ‘Yeah whatever, you can be Nemo,’ he agreed easily, pleased to see a smile spread across Sehun's stupid face. He didn’t know who Dory was, but if it made Sehun happy, he was okay with it.

 

Kai fell asleep that night wondering how he could find out if Ji was Kyungsoo’s bodyguard without making a fool of himself.

 

                                                                        **********************