Keep Me Safe

KEEP ME SAFE

 

 

Kyungsoo was sitting in the office of the CEO of SK Entertainment, waiting for Mr Choi from security to arrive. This was the third time in as many weeks he’d been hauled in here by his Manager. 

 

‘Relax Kyungsoo, we’re here for you. This is about making sure you have the proper protection,’ soothed Mr Zhang, sitting comfortably across from him. ‘Unfortunately, the reports aren’t looking to good. I’ve had several discussions with your Manager and Mr Choi about the various options available to help manage your personal safety. We’ve come up with a plan to get you through the last few weeks of EXO’s schedule with minimal disruption for the team.’

 

‘You know how I feel about this,' complained Kyungsoo yet again. How many times must they go over this. 'Why do you need to put someone else with me, when I’m surrounded by the guys all day, every day?’ He looked between Mr Zhang and his PA Wendy, who offered him a reassuring smile but remained silent.

 

‘We’ve discussed this before, Kyungsoo. The rest of your team can’t find out about this. If they behave differently, it might tip off your stalker. At the moment we have a jump on this situation. They can’t find out we’re on to them.’

 

‘What about Suho? He’s our leader. Shouldn’t we at least tell him?’

 

Mr Zhang shook his head sadly. ‘I have a lot of faith in Suho’s ability to keep this quiet but you know how he babies all of you. Image what he’ll do once he hears about this. We know how special you are to him.’ Suho found comfort in the calm, reassuring personality that was normally Kyungsoo and he appreciated his feisty dominant side when the others got out of control. Kyungsoo was the dorm's second house mother.

 

Kyungsoo leaned back against the couch and closed his eyes. He felt so tired lately. He had many fans that stalked him and said about him that wasn’t true, but recently there has been some disturbing stuff coming through. He sat forward abruptly and faced Mr Zhang again, determined not to change his life because of some crazy person. 

 

‘We get all kinds of crazy threats, why make a fuss about these one? If we ignore them they will stop just like the others?’

 

‘It’s not just what they are saying Kyungsoo, it how they are saying it.’ Mr Zhang could see that Kyungsoo wasn’t happy. ‘We think it’s someone that has access to your team or specifically, access to you,’ he ended firmly. ‘We aren’t dealing with some random fan on the internet or somewhere out in the crowd. We think this person could be close enough to harm you.’

 

Kyungsoo looked at Wendy because he trusted her opinion. She nodded her head, concern written across her pretty features. ‘This is serious Soo.’ She liked Kyungsoo and didn't want anything bad to happen to him. ‘We can’t afford to take these last threats lightly.’

 

Just then Mr Choi entered the room, and he wasn’t alone. A tall male with short hair combed back off his attractive face stood casually beside him, dressed immaculately in a black suit, white shirt, and black skinny tie. He had a fit athletic appearance and his dark brown eyes that settled easily on Kyungsoo were professionally blank. He guessed the guy must be a bodyguard and not the normal security heavy he was used to seeing around the stadiums. Things must be worrisome if they’re prepared to hire someone like him.

 

Kyungsoo took a deep breath and slid along the lounge to let Mr Choi sit near Mr Zhang. The bodyguard went to stand by Wendy, across from him.

 

‘We’ve done another clean-up of all the primary media sites and pulled anything with trigger words. We also did a sweep of the dorm and the studio’s, as you suggested. We found two hidden cameras and three bugs. Whoever planted these has to be one of us.’

 

‘So do another background search on everyone. Limit access to us. I don’t know,’ groaned Kyungsoo, rubbing his face roughly with his hands. ‘Try something, anything, before you give me a minder.’ He checked to see if his words had any impact, but by the guarded looks he was getting, they didn’t. The faces that looked back at him were grim. ‘How do you know they’re only after me?’ he complained, feeling defeated. ‘We all get creepy hate mail.’

 

‘It’s the tone and the words in some of your feeds that set off triggers for us. Your Manager has also expressed some concerns.’

 

Kyungsoo looked at Manager Jung. ‘Like what? You haven't mentioned anything to me.’ 

 

‘I didn’t want to bother you unless I had too. Things keep going, missing Soo. Your personal things. Phones, clothes, make-up, and lotions. Most things turn up again, a few hours or a day later. Initially, I thought I was misplacing things, but then other staff started reporting the same thing happening to the stuff they were managing for you. If it all came back undamaged, I wouldn’t be so concerned, but that’s not the case. Sometimes things have come back ripped, they occasionally have holes cut in them or covered in a bloodlike substance. Some have very graphic or suggestive writing on them.’

 

‘What?’ Kyungsoo was struggling to process what he was hearing. The subtle changes he had noticed were finally starting to make sense. So, that's why he had his own make-up and personal care box, which was often locked. It explained why he no longer shared wardrobe and drinks with the others. Why they locked his stuff away when not in use. The guys had about his special treatment, but he had been none the wiser. 

 

‘I’m sorry, Soo. I tried to keep this away from you. I know how stressed you get.’ His Managers apology was sincere and heartfelt but late. 

 

‘What about how pissed I get when you hide from me?’ growled Kyungsoo, staring daggers at him. He felt so stupid for not noticing what was happening. Why did they insist on treating him like a child?

 

Manager Jung hung his head for a moment before finding the courage to match his stare. ‘I will live with your anger if it keeps you from harm.’ He adjusted himself in his chair. ‘We’ve decided you can’t use or consume anything unless one of us gives it too you.’

 

‘One of us?’ growled Kyungsoo, glaring at his manager. He was the victim here. Why was he having to suffer this bull?

 

‘Kyungsoo,’ interrupted Mr Zhang. He waited patiently for the idol to turn around. He was not new to Kyungsoo’s temper. He occasionally wondered if Kyungsoo had a split personality because this kind, caring man could quickly become satan spawn when provoked. He hoped they could persuade Kyungsoo to accept their plan before he walked out on them. He’d done it before and no doubt he would do it again. ‘This is Ji Chang-wook.’ The man over his shoulder bowed, respectfully. ‘I assume you have already figured out he is a professional bodyguard and don’t even think about refusing him. This is not a request Kyungsoo, it’s an order.’ He made his voice as firm as he could, whilst crossing his fingers, hoping for the best.

 

Kyungsoo glared at the CEO and bodyguard. He knew he would look childish if he refused, but he didn’t have to like it. ‘If I can tell he’s a bodyguard so will everyone else.’ Kyungsoo hissed, giving the man another once over. As handsome as he was, he screamed professional security.

 

‘We’ll take care of his appearance. That’s an easy fix.’ Mr Zhang sighed with relief. That was easier than he thought. He expected a lot more resistance from Kyungsoo. Maybe the idol understood how serious this situation was.  ‘Mr Choi.’

 

‘Okay. Here’s what will happen. We want to put him in your dorm. We’ll create some project that requires him to be with you. Maybe a musical film. Something. He can study music, stage performance, and dance with your guys. Do you think this will work?’ Mr Choi studied the idol, they needed his co-operation for this to be a viable plan.

 

‘That’s what the trainee classes are for,’ pointed out Kyungsoo, doubting the other members would appreciate a newbie crashing their packed schedule. ‘Can he actually sing, dance or act?’

 

‘I can talk, cook and keep you alive,’ answered Ji with a curt smile, startling everyone in the room.

 

Kyungsoo’s surprise quickly turned to an amused smile. He felt drawn to this sassy man. If he was spending time with EXO, he needed to stick up for himself. ‘I like your cockiness, you will need it. A lot of people will be unhappy that he’s with us. Even some EXO members. Invasion of privacy etc, you know what I mean.’ 

 

‘He won’t be with EXO. He’ll be with you,’ corrected Mr Choi, highlighting a significant difference. ‘We’ve covered all the privacy issues, so don’t worry about that.’ He looked at Mr Zhang, who signalled for him to continue. ‘We’ll fabricate a complete story around why you two need to be together. We expect it will take a few weeks to isolate and remove the threat.’

 

‘Or two months,’ corrected Ji firmly. ‘It all depends on whether my being next to you encourages him or her to act on their threat or scares them off. Either way, if we don’t have an outcome in two months we will come up with another plan.’

 

Kyungsoo could see everyone nodding. He looked at Ji, pleased to see him looking relaxed and confident. Kyungsoo wanted this to end quickly. Maybe a personal bodyguard was the answer. ‘Okay, let’s do this.’

 

                                                                                ****************

 

Two days later Kyungsoo sat down with his Manager to go over the outline sent by Mr Choi regarding the integration of Ji Chang-wook into his life. They had just ordered when Ji joined them.

 

It surprised Kyungsoo how different he looked. He wore ripped blue jeans and a pale blue turtleneck jersey. Casually y. Kyungsoo watched the other occupants of the restaurant follow him with their eyes as he crossed the room to their table. y, handsome, talented, and dangerous. A lethal combination.

 

Kyungsoo could foresee all kinds of problems. He groaned internally. How was he going to manage the next few weeks?  

 

‘Is there a problem?,’ asked Ji as he sat next to him, across from Manager Jung.

 

‘There will be,’ he answered honestly, letting his eyes travelling over him. ‘We’ll need a bodyguard to protect you?’

 

Ji chuckled at his frankness. ‘Don’t worry about me, Soo. Let me assure you I can take care of myself.’

 

‘I get that but if you need a bit of alone time with anyone, please give me the heads up.’ Kyungsoo visibly cringed next to him. ‘I’d rather keep my innocence.’

 

‘I thought you already knew everything.’

 

‘I do but I’d rather not see your everything.’

 

‘I’m a professional, Soo.’ He gave him a considered look. 'But just so you know, my everything is stunning.' He smirked happily at the idol's slight blush.

 

‘Okay, back to being professional. Even if you keep your distance, it doesn’t mean others will.’ Kyungsoo sighed and waved him away, indicating he was ready to move on from this topic. He'd warned him, that's all he wanted to do. He turned to his Manager who was waiting patiently to give them a full run through of the documents in his hand.

 

‘Okay, so the brief they came up with is, that you’re an idol at the top of your career and you’re getting death threats.’

 

‘That’s so original,’ cooed Kyungsoo, with a frown. ‘And let me guess, he’s my bodyguard undercover as a potential actor slash singer in an upcoming movie we will both be staring in.’  Kyungsoo beamed at the pair, pleased with himself for effortlessly putting everything together.

 

‘That’s pretty much it,’ agreed his Manager a bit sheepishly, as Kyungsoo laughed openly at him.

 

‘It’s better to have some truth within our cover story, encase we get asked questions,’ elaborated Ji, smiling at the lyrical sound of the idols happy, y laugh. He'd never met anyone so charming and sensual at the same time. He decided this job wouldn’t be so bad. It was nice to have a client like Kyungsoo for a change.

 

‘It’s all true, well except the movie part but hey you never know. My entertainment company might pitch it, if we get enough exposure together,’ Kyungsoo nudged him playfully. He liked Ji. He knew they would be excellent friends. His thoughts turned to Kai and his face dropped. His boyfriend could be possessive. Kai could cause them a few issues.

 

‘Another problem, Soo?’ The idol’s expressive face was easy to read.

 

‘My boyfriend?’

 

‘Kai?’

 

‘Yeah, he won’t like this, us.’ He frowned at the problems he could see looming ahead of him. ‘Can we tell him?’

 

‘Unfortunately not,’ answered Ji sadly. ‘I need his response to my being there to be as natural as possible.’ He saw the frown deepen on Kyungsoo’s face. ‘Would he behave normally around you if he knew about the threats?’

 

Kyungsoo knew he wouldn’t. He would stick to him like glue. The Kaisoo tag would trend at number one again and the company would be in protection mode, making both their lives miserable. ‘I don’t enjoy lying to him. I don’t enjoy lying to any of them.’

 

‘It’s only for a few weeks Soo,’ soothed his Manager. He tried to keep his face neutral. He didn’t want Kyungsoo to see how worried he was.  

 

‘I’ll try to present a friendly exterior,’ assured the bodyguard. ‘And give you as must space as I can but it will be difficult to protect you if I’m too far from you. Most of the time I will need to be right next to you.’ He noted that Kyungsoo understood what he was saying. ‘Let me apologise in advance if this causes you any trouble but my job is to keep you safe. Anything else is your problem. Sorry.’

 

‘Yeah,’ Kyungsoo looked down at his lap, trying to figure out how he would manage things without telling Kai the truth. ‘We’ll get through this. Hopefully, we catch this person quickly.’ Kyungsoo forced a smiled onto his face. ‘Let’s eat,’ he suggested as the waiter approached them with steaming plates in their hands.

 

 

                                                                                     *********************