7. Bounded Duty

Then There Was You

Mom was right. I should have stayed in nursing school.

 

Yixing was a man of many talents. As a typical Asian child, he mastered every possible instrument known to modern man. To correct the stereotype, he has a black belt of 3 different martial arts. Moreover, he was a brilliant student throughout the whole school education and is a good cook who values good cuisine.

 

And as is clear by his current and constant profession, he is a good listener and gives advice that has changed many patients' views on life.

 

Yixing is not afraid to take any risks. As a therapist, he has probably already dealt with every type of man, including the residing gentlemen in the Seoul prison. It is said that psychologists advise others, but they have the biggest problems with themselves. Yixing maybe does not have as many difficulties but more so than occasional attacks of his hidden sadistic, manipulative personality, which comes to light only in extreme cases. And very well, because it was exactly that what saved him from an angry convict who, instead of knocking down a proportionately smaller boy, ended up with his face dented into the floor of a prison cell.

 

Yixing was prepared for many things in life.He even came to terms with the sight of a very elegant and beautiful Mrs. Joohyun, who was slurping cheap ramen in a mug from convenient store right now, pressed into his office sofa, not paying attention to her probably expensive emerald suit being stained. 

 

"Are you better now?" He pretended to be interested. The only answer he received was another loud slurp.

 

Joohyun's visit was not unannounced. She may not have been such a regular client as Junmyeon, but from time to time she would come to Yixing for a short therapeutic chat and a good green tea. He was probably the only male friend she could turn to at the moment, not wanting to bother the guys around her.

 

Yixing had a special place in her and Junmyeon's life. He helped her in her clash with recurring depression, and he pulled her out of the pit when she had a hard time getting over her father's death (thanks to Seulgi, who first forced Junmyeon to give her his phone number and then pulled Joohyun under his office door by force). 

 

When the slurping stopped, giving him the signal that the sulking was over, he finally directed all his attention to the patient. "Darling, can you now tell me again why you came into my office angry as a Tasmanian devil?" Not that it's any news.

 

Her first reaction was to compress the now empty noodle cup. And it was hard plastic. The girl has a grip, you have to admit it. "You already know why."

 

But Yixing was not discouraged. "I know, and I know it very well, but I'd like to hear it again without the sound of slurry noise between sentences."

 

She threw an empty container into the garbage can like an MBA champion and turned her body towards him. "I enter the cabinet. On my desk there is a box of jajangmyeon and a bottle of water. There was a piece of paper attached to it, I thought, from Seulgi, via the familiar writing style. Stupid me didn't think on double checking and started to eat since I didn't eat lunch...".

 

Joohyun felt as if her tongue was on fire. She knew this taste and smell well. Gochujang. The spice her doctor forbade her to eat for fear of a possible allergic reaction. Nothing dangerous, but the hot flashes, red skin and the feeling of riding on with sandpaper were not the most pleasant. When tears began to flow, the first instinct was to grab a bottle of water to reduce the suffering.

This was a mistake. 

But how could she have known that instead of water, she would feel the taste of a bitter tonic water that would make the corrida in even sharper?

"That ing bastard will pay for this!" 

She barely got to the front door, because she thought she was going to lose consciousness from anger, heat and growing suffering. The workers behind the door probably heard her curses because when she walked through the corridor, she felt the sight of each of the managers, the fear in their eyes. Some of them were frightened by her clear fury, while others made big eyes, seeing her as if she was about to die from overheating. 

Jongdae immediately ran up to her in fear of her condition. He did not manage to touch her because she grabbed him by the tie and drew him to herself.

"Where is this pathetic excuse of a human?" Her voice was rough and barely hearable through the increasing dryness of .

Jongdae tried to slip out of her steel clamp, now having his throat squeezed. "S-Staff r-oom. Ms. Jo-ohyun, please release me! You're choking me!" He felt saved when she let go and marched to the room indicated, emanating the aura that screamed for death. 

She didn't even manage to get out from around the corner when her face greeted the cold shower. Literally.

As the water dripped down her eyelids, Junmyeon stood over her with an empty glass now.

"Ooh. I thought maybe you wanted water. You've reddened so strangely somehow."

The red of suffering turned to red of wrath. The only thing Joohyun saw now was a bull's-eye sheet before she threw herself at the man, covering his face with hits. She didn't notice the fact that he was knocked down quite easily, nor did she notice the glow that appeared in his eyes when her hand met his cheek.

 

"You know, when I think there is potential for you, I just need one session with you and hope disappears."

 

His nonchalance began to irritate her. "You'd be a little worried, wouldn't you? This time he really tried to kill me!"

 

Yixing looked at her from behind the glasses that were slipped off. "Joohyun. I remind you of the 9th grade. Your horseback riding together. You loosened the saddle on his horse. The effect? 4 months in cast." When he recalled this memory, Joohyun blushed with shame. Touché. Yixing triumphantly noticed it. "That's right. You forgot that you both tell me everything."

 

She crossed her arms offended. "You're a sadist, you know that?"

 

"I works with lunatics. It's a required trait."

 

She let herself chuckle, but it quickly turned into annoyed whine. " Xing, why is he doing this to me? Does my suffering bring him so much joy? We have too many, too many things on our mind to deal with pranks now. He knows I'll willingly beat him up for his stupid ideas. Is he some kind of masochist or what?"

 

I wouldn't exclude that possibility. Yixing thought in his soul imagining a smile on Junmyeon's face when Joohyun was beating his face. Knowing his tendencies and feelings that he (stubbornly) didn't want to admit, it might even excite him. They must discuss his newly discovered at his next meeting - women who can beat his . "Joo, don't worry. You can't be killed. You're both like cockroaches." She threw a pillow at him for this comment, which he caught without any problem. After hearing from Junmyeon about their last quarrel about the mysterious guy, Yixing managed to connect the dots. 

 

"Can't I really punch him in the face?"

 

You just did. Why are you asking me that? "No."

 

"What if I just breaks his nose a little?"

 

"You are the faces of the company. You promote business, not MMA fights."

 

With these two, but you have to put 100% into a rally, or hope dies. It seems that the whole world wants peace and beautiful children from them, except, well, themselves.

 

The meeting lasted another 45 minutes. They talked about the progress of preparations, did some exercises and time slowly reached 3 pm. 

 

Joohyun got up from the couch and stretched herself like a cat. "If something comes out of this conversation to uninvited ears, I will give up your services." She said half seriously. 

 

"With my steel nerves and my self-defense skills, you won't find another one so good." He joked while waiting for her at the office door. When Joohyun was fixing her makeup in a small mirror, Yixing, even through her professional foundation, noticed the grey residue from the bags under her eyes.  Strange. The medication he prescribed should reduce insomnia after just 1 night. "Darling, I forgot to ask, how did you sleep for the last month?"

 

"Don't even tell me about it. All these traditional methods are ineffective. I thought counting Jun's corpses would help me sleep, but it only pissed me off more that I had his face in front of me." Joohyun did not even think about the answer.

 

"I believe the sheeps would do better."

 

"I doubt it somehow." She approached him, throwing the bag over her shoulder. "I don't know if you remember, but I asked you to prescribe me some medicine. Please, Yixing, I have a lot on my mind and I could use a nap." She asked with a sad pout. She sensed the alarm when a grimace appeared on a man's face.

 

"What do you mean? You're on medication. You should have been using them for a month." He crossed his arms, glancing worryingly at her. She still looked confused. She didn't remember receiving anything.

 

"Wait, wait! Are you sure you gave them to me?"

 

"Well, maybe not directly. I asked Junmyeon-" He stopped talking when he saw how Joohyun's shiny eyes got big as kimbap rolls. "- to pass them -" She stood motion less and he could sense that he's just guaranteed Junmyeon a special whooping. "- to you."

 

Silence has come. Yixing had to digest this information himself before he started looking for the culprits. The question of medication is a delicate one. They are both aware of the sleeping pill she is taking and they are not the weak ones. They cannot be taken without a prescription or straight from the doctor. You have to be very careful not to overdose, because they are highly addictive. 

 

But with the level of insomnia at which Joohyun turns, it is the only thing that helps her somehow. Why didn't Junmyeon give it to her? It's not something he would have done without a specific, important reason. Even he wouldn't be so cruel to her. 

 

Joohyun did not say a word. Her vision was stuck on a point in front of her, but emotions went through her face in a split second, starting with surprise, then disappointment, and ending with a growling that she unknowingly released.

 

"So you're telling me that this bastard had the only thing with him all the time that allows me to sleep and function." She looked Yixing dead in the eyes which were now trying to find anything else to focus on. Just not her. "But for some reason they never reached me?"

 

Yixing had already seen through the eyes of his imagination what would happen away from his eyes and ears. "I'm afraid so."

 

Joohyun did not even try to continue this discussion. "I understand. Thank you Yixing for this information-"

 

"Which I have not known about!"

 

"-which you haven't known about. Understood. Well, I wish you a good rest of the day. Until the next time." With that, she disappeared behind the office door.

 

Yixing came up to his leather chair and sank into it, feeling the air coming out through every possible hole in his body. 

 

"Junmyeon. Honestly. What the hell are you trying to do?"

 

There were a few questions that needed answers. There was a matter that needed to be discussed.There was a paper fan that Yixing will use on President Kim's next visit as a punishment for putting such show.


That's it, of course, if Junmyeon will still be alive by the next visit.

»»————-  ————-««

 

The road was exceptionally long today. Junmyeon decided not to comment on the traffic jam, visible at least a few kilometers before him behind the car window. This is how it is when you live in a modern agglomeration. For a long time he was thinking about whether or not to install an ambulance siren and like a president avoid standing in the line of cars like a president forever. Especially during rush hours.

 

"I feel like I'm about to lay an egg." He complained for the fifth time during his journey. Fortunately, Candy Crush was able to pull his thoughts off somewhere, like a toddler who needs to be given a tablet so that he doesn't cry. "How much longer will it take?

 

As a driver, Jongdae tried to ignore both the humorous mood of his boss and the unbearable sounds of the mobile game. "Mr. Kim, I don't want to be unpleasant, but we would have avoided it if I hadn't had to make a cold compress on your swollen cheek."

 

Junmyeon touched his cheek and immediately hissed in reaction in pain. Joohyun put a good blow to his cheek. Hard to be surprised, she finally had a spicy death before her eyes. Was the bruise on his beautiful face worth seeing her suffering in torment? Abso-ing-lutely.

 

"Mr. Kim. Why are you like this? You've been without your childish jokes for the past week and suddenly you pop up with a number that stuns half of the company."

 

Junmyeon closed the apps, keeping a sadistic smile on his face and then turned to the assistant, now looking completely serious. "Jongdae. I had to do something. It was like catharsis." He said full of emotion, or at least that's what it sounded like. "Difficult situations require difficult decisions."

 

The traffic jam has finally moved. " But I tell you, murder is never the solution."

"Well, anyway, I needed it."     

 

Jongdae looked at him from a safe angle.  "Any particular reason why you let Miss Joohyun beat you up?" 

 

Junmyeon was silent. Of course there was a reason for that. From his point of view, it was necessary. Should he discuss it with Jongdae? It will end either in ridicule or in total failure of the subject. It would be better if it ended up with the latter. And so it will sound pathetic if he says that his last meeting with her left him confused and confused to the point where it was so damn frustrating. 

 

What do you want to hear? That one little piece of information has disturbed my whole order and I'm doing everything I can now to get back to the way things were? Cause it's more comfortable that way?

 

And at that point he had frustration written all over his face. Jongdae caught it. "Would you believe that I was trying to restore balance in the universe?" He pouted trying his best to focus on whatever behind the window in hope that he won't receive a judgmental look. He was honestly not in mood for that now. 

 

The car stopped in a spacious parking lot. The road from it led to a huge building, taken out like from an avant-garde painting.

 

Jongdae sighed before taking out the keys. Whatever was going on in the head of his boss was no longer impressive to him for some time. They have been working together too long to be surprised by anything. Kim Junmyeon is a lot of things. A lot of things worth admiration and respect, but also a lot of secrets and weird ideas hidden underneath his perfectly styled head. If he doesn't do something seriously stupid, Jongdae is able to turn a blind eye to his quirks.

 

"Whatever it is, I can believe you, Mr. Kim."

»»————-  ————-««

 

It's early afternoon and the machines are yet to heat up, so the squad of managers decided to ponder this chance to rest a moment longer, to drink in the aroma of newly established centre's cafe. The interior was a combination of modernism and vintage dream. At the glass-fronted counter was an array of cream cakes and pastries, all with English sounding names.  It's an science and culture environment after all.

 

Minseok took a sip of his coffee. "Man, I'm worn out!" He sunk into a chair like he weighted a tone. "I sat on the line all night with the new transport company assistant. No Korean, no English, no Japanese. I mean, come on, where do they get these people from?"

 

Sooyoung was playing with a spoon with which she ate a big fruit parfait. "Minseok, please be quiet. I literally dream about the budgets at night, I have numbers instead of darkness before my eyes." She bitterly moaned, massaging her temple with her hand. If the calculations were really ruining her sleep, I think she used her most expensive foundation to cover the circles under her eyes. 

 

The sassiest duo among managers now looked as if they were chewed and spit out. Jongin and Seungwan looked at them with admiration. This was a predictable condition. Everybody literally stood on their heads to make sure everything was at the last button. 

 

"Everything will be fine. We've worked ourselves to death to make it possible. The universe has to listen." Jongin reassures himself, as he gazed down on his cappuccino.

 

"Honey, I hope you're right." Sooyoung wrapped herself around his arm and rested her head on his shoulder, pouting cute yet with frown. Jongin patted her on the head like a big brother would young sibling. The manager team had a quite solid bond and in those moments like this, it was much appreciated to just sit in the presence of people who you could count on and vice versa.

 

Well, maybe not everybody since Jongin's and Seungwan's relationship broke down significantly after the incident. Like siblings who no matter what, won't want to get along.

 

She would glance at him from time to time but all he could read from that was her inner wish to chop his off. 

 

Seungwan's phone let them know about the upcoming message. She quickly grabbed it in her hand and apparently reading the message, made the angelic lovely smile appear on her face. While she was actively writing her answer, Sooyoung looked at her mockingly from the other side of the table. Jongin noticed this and decided not to enter into a probable exchange of opinions for the sake of his life. 

 

"Wannie, what are you so happy about?" The teasing was just spilling out of Sooyoung's mouth and little sparkles appeared in her eyes.

 

"What do you mean? I'm always happy." Seungwan just asked clueless. Or at least she tried to sound like it.

 

But Sooyoung wasn't the one to get fooled that easily. "No, no. It's a different kind of satisfaction. It is not a smile on the news of a new supply of decor paper or good ranking results." She released Jongin's arm, moving her body across the table. "No. This is a smile that says Oh, how cute he is. I love being with him." She leaned over the table separating her from Seungwan and smiled overly sweet. "Girl, tell me who it is."

 

 

"Soo, let it go. I don't have time for da-"

 

"For dating? You don't have to when it comes to work every day on a voluntary basis. The date that makes you coffee. It's over 180 cm tall and has glasses. Name rhyming with cham-pion?" Minseok has invited himself to a conversation, with equal intentions.  Both of them were almost breathing down Seungwan's neck like predators, who had miserable love life and were tormenting others for that for sole self entertaiement. 

 

God forbid anyone having life outside the office. "Dude, you two are scary." Jongin admitted out loud. He did not even want to know how often they discuss his disaster of a relationships.

 

Seungwan was apparently flustered, which only added to the fire. "With what? No, no. Something is wrong with you. Chanyeol is just an intern! I'm just teaching him."

 

Minseok didn't look convinced one slight. "Not to be noisy, but you lead him through this drill and he still worships the earth because you walk on. The boy is whipped for you."

 

"What? That's absurd. He's just being polite and wants to do a good job. I'm just trying to prepare him as best as I can." She tried to defend herself.

 

To be perfectly honest, this Chanyeol guy may have hearts instead of eyes when he looks at Seungwan, but Jongin also can’t deny the fact that the last time he was asked to write a report, he saw him leaving the bathroom with tears and his eyes. It’s either super commitment or the boy is so in love he will endure any kind of suffering.

 

"You call it being nice. Everyone else just think of it as a masochism."

 

The knifes in girl’s stare was so intense, Jongin could felt the stabbing holes forming in his body. He should’ve know better than to pick a fight with a colleague that wanted him to jump out off the window. Female friendships are scary.

 

 

There also wasn't helping a fact that Seulgi, behind the glass, was being burdened by the construction crew, trying to use the skills of multitasking, writing on the iPad at the same time and accepting the next stretches of paper. The four watched this with the exception of Jongin, who was trying his best not to come out as a hero saving the princess in need. Not that this princess would ever accept his help.

 

Seungwan looked at him, sensing his intentions. How good his intention wouldn't be, she knew Seulgi too well to let this guy interfere with her work. She got up from her seat and leaned over his ear. "Don't even think about it." Her voice was soft but still holding a warning. Right after that, she left the café, with Sooyoung close behind her. Cause girls always have to migrate in groups.

 

The boys were left alone. Seulgi, somewhere in the distance, continued to tire herself through her busy hands, her high heels being no help in walking. 

 

Jongin was at this point suffering. No matter the distance, his attraction to her remained constant. She clearly stated that she won't come back. He was at peace with that. He did acted like an and a ty boyfriend after all. But not having her in his life was harder than not being together romantically. Watching her everyday without even a simple hello seemed like a torture. He wanted to be friends with her again.

 

"I see that you're taking this bad dude." Minseok interrupted his inner pain of existence and leaned against his friend's arm.

 

"It's nothing. I got used to that." He replied but it had a grim undertone. 

 

Minseok clicked his tongue and shook his head. "Uh uh. I've been watching you sulking for the last months, I know when it hits different." He turned to him fully 180. "I know you want to come to terms with it. Sometimes I think you're constipated, but it's just you being puppy kicked by an cupid."Jongin did not agree with that comparison but he turned a blind eye to it.  "The point is that I support you one hundred percent. To improve your relationship."

 

Jongin raised an eyebrow. "Are you serious?"

 

"Dude, the tension between you two is making whole 10th floor uncomfortable. With Mr. Kim and Mrs. Bae it's different, because they at least they have the but you two? How many times I couldn't make myself a coffee or steal a cookie because you two just happened to be in the same room? It kills the whole mood. That's why I'm telling you - you want to come to terms with it. That's great!"

 

"But Seungwan-"

 

"Leave the Seungwan out of this! It's your relationship, not hers and you're the one who controls it! She's dense enough not to notice the visible attraction her intern has for her yet she has the audacity to tell you what to do with your past relationships?" He didn't even stutter. "It may have been your fault the things went down this way but you're the man and you're gonna decide how to leave it!"

 

Jongin was amazed by that, weir support. "Wow, thanks man."

 

"Anytime. Now remember. You want to rebuild a relationship with your ex. It will be hard, but the most important thing is to take small steps. First, outline her situation as you are, straight from the bridge as it is, and then you propose a truce. She's straight to the point kind of girl, she'll appreciate it."

 

At that moment truly felt blessed having a friend to talk to. If making friends with Seulgi was what's gonna make the world better again, then his willing to take that risk.

   »»————-  ————-««

 

Sehun was right when he said that architects and builders were up to the task. The center looked really impressive. The project was made one to one. From the outside, it gave the impression of mixing different angles and shapes, forming a chaotic but coherent whole. The colors mixed like a painter's palette with a wide range of paints.The building was surrounded by a concentration of trees, whose pink petals started to bloom, and at the back of the building there was a beautiful garden full of benches, atlas and attractions for future visitors.

 

The interior was not bad either. The lush vision came true and it was certain that every artist would enjoy the view. Special study rooms, a large library, 3 banquet rooms, an auditorium, a modern canteen and an elegant cafeteria, as well as halls for any use such as exhibitions or conferences.

 

K&B Culture Centre finally came to life. Joohyun and Seulgi stood in the main hall admiring the final product of the project that everyone worked so hard on. Joohyun did not know whether to smile stupidly or shed a tear. She watched as the builders were working on the final, detailed finishes, but she felt as if she was dressing her child for the first day at school.

 

So much pressure was put on everyone involved to make it happen. So many sleepless nights for fear of the upcoming opening date. So much stress caused by her sudden decision.

 

"We did it well, don't you think?" Seulgi and nudged her with an elbow since her hands were full. She felt satisfaction when Joohyun showed her a cute grin, but those teary eyes really hit her. The grin immediately changed into a grimace signaling that she could start to cry. Not that this is possible with Joohyun, she never cries. But nobody will judge her for being moved by happiness. Seulgi was happy to see how the light appeared in the eyes of an older girl. Despite her position as an assistant, she switch her staff to the one arm and gathered Joohyun in a comforting hug into which the girl was happy to jump. "Oh, come on! Don't tell me you will cry!" She laughed, rubbing comforting circles on the girl's back. 

 

"When this is over, I'm buying everyone who took part in this vacation in the Maldives."

 

Seulgi snickered hearing that. She patted Joohyun's shoulder. "I take your word for it." She looked over her shoulder to notice Junmyeon approaching them, but not looking directly at them. He also was captivated by the masterpiece the centre came to be and it wasn't even opened yet. "I have to settle some more things with the developers and send a report to Mr. Oh. You guys, can enjoy your baby." This comment did not impress Joohyun as she was now looking at the big chandelier in the middle of the ceiling with hearts in her eyes. Seulgi opened her iPad and waved goodbye before snatching Jongdae in the opposite direction he was heading behind Junmyeon.

 

"Slow down! What are you doing?" He tried to say that in a hushed voice as she dragged him by an elbow.

 

"Let them enjoy it all. Maybe she will calm down a little after what happened this morning."

 

Jongdae rubbed his jaw and took his arm  away just to take Seulgi's under it. "Let's hope you're right. It will look bad if they show up with a  bruised eye at the opening."

 

That vision made Seulgi giggle and she gladly went hand in hand with her partner in the crime towards the east wing. 

   »»————-  ————-««

 

 

When these two disappeared from the horizon, Junmyeon faced the dilemma of the sort of approach or not approaching Joohyun, who did not even notice his arrival.

 

"She will not kill me. Too many witnesses here." He assured himself before slowly taking his place next to her, in a safe distance.

 

There was a moment of stretched silence when without even looking at him she coldly popped the question. "You came to turn the other cheek? Forgive me, but I'm in too good a mood to waste an effort on you."

 

Okay. The area is fairly secure. He cleared his throat and joined her in watching the art coming to life in front of them. "Sorry to disappoint but I also have other interests in life aside from ruffling your feathers.”

 

She smirked but still remained calm. "Funny. This morning I had a feeling that you were genuinely ready to get rid of me. Not a smart move just before the big event.”  

 

He shoved his fists into the pants pockets and formed his lips in firm line. "I wouldn’t worry about that. You’re-"

 

"Like a cockroach? Heard that already.” It’s amazing how quickly she can shift her mood when he’s around, so much for the excitement. Frankly speaking, Joohyun didn't feel the slightest desire to talk to him, after the events of the morning and additionally because of the information about her meds. She wanted to confront him as soon as possible, but she knew very well that making scenes in front of employees never ends well for their reputation as superiors. They are more likely to be the kids who, by becoming the object of jokes and gossip, lose the respect of others. Even if they swear their attitude will not change. 

 

Junmyeon caught the repulsive atmosphere that was emitted from her. It was a different energy from everyday life. As a rule, even after repeated jokes and insults, they both have the strength to talk. Now he felt that she honestly does not want to see him. 

 

Was the prank from this morning exaggerated? Did it really cross any boundaries? 

 

"Joohyun listen-" The explanation he didn’t initially planned on doing suddenly found its way onto his lips.

 

However, he did not have a chance to talk because at that moment Joohyun's phone pulled her away from him. She didn't even excused herself but simply left his space by few steps. She glanced over her shoulder at him and then at the phone. After a moment of hesitation, she finally answered. 

 

“Hello? Oh, it's you, Jackson.” She answered in a small voice but didn’t quite make it a whisper.

 

Jackson? Junmyeon was clearly surprised. Could it be the same guy that Sehun caught her with a week ago? 

 

Realizing what he had just thought about, Junmyeon gave himself a mild slap to the face as a reminder that it wasn’t his business and by any means he shouldn’t care. 

 

Shouldn’t being the key word. To his disadvantage and inner disappointment- he did care. And it just felt like his brain was being split in half.

 

Joohyun missed his visible conflict and continued her conversation. “I’m good, thank you. How’s-“ she ly to catch Junmyeon trying to eavesdrop but quickly showing her his back as a defense. “-the thing going on? Okay. You know you don’t have to do this, right? Okay. Just be careful please.”

 

The more Junmyeon managed to hear, the more curious he got. Was she planning something? She rarely asks for help with exception of few entrusted people from her environment. He had no recollection of her making any new friends since last year and using Sehun description of a said mysterious man- there was no one with a similar synopsis. 

 

He really wanted to find more about her new friend. Especially because she treated him as some kind of mystery. As much as they might despise each other, there is no room for secrets in this partnership. And that unfortunately extends to people around them.

 

He’ll find an opportunity to ask, as nosy and out of character it may seem. For now, he’ll have to deal again with the uncomfortable feeling creeping somewhere in his chest, as he watches her disappear behind hall’s walls.

   »»————-  ————-««

 

Joohyun usually had no problem with lunches at Kims. They were practically like a second family to her, except for their unbearable son. They treated her like a daughter, probably because they did not have frequent contact with their real one. This did not make Joohyun feel like a substitute or diversion. They were kind and good people. She loves them as her own family and knows that they reciprocate. However, she couldn't help but suppress her inner frustration when they seated her next to Junmyeon at a long dining table with plenty of delicious looking food. He wasn't thrilled with this seating either, but decided not to make a scene with his parents present. 

 

Ji So looked at them from across , Joohyun could feel it without even raising her eyes from the plate. They made contact when Ji So placed a large piece of beef in her soup. 

 

"Joohyun darling, you must eat some meat. You have such a skinny face." She said lovingly, her own cheek as to imitate Joohyun’s. Junmyeon just scoffed at the action. No, not jealous at all.

 

Girl smiled shyly but accepted the concern. “Mrs. Kim, please, I can assure you I eat regular meals.” 

 

Ji So looked at her as she was the most precious thing in the world. She reached over the table and touched gently girl’s hand. "I know, but Dong Gun and I are so worried about you.  You've had so much on your mind lately. We rarely see you, so forgive me if I'm a little bit of a drag, no offense to Jin Kyung of course." Joohyun laughed awkwardly at the mention of her mother, but played it off bearing in mind that these two are friends after all.

 

Dong Gun showed his rare fatherly smile, wiping his mouth with a napkin. "My wife is right. The big day is coming up, so it is important that you take special care of yourself."

 

"Thank you, Mr. Kim. As usual, I will take your wisdom to heart." Joohyun bowed her head slightly in his direction, making old man’s heart grow ten times bigger.

 

Bootlicker. Junmyeon was in his own sense, suffering. Watching his parents care more about this witch than their own son, evoked childhood memories and all the he endured from his younger sister. "Have you forgotten that I am here too?" He snicked a little louder than he intended, but he gradually got attention with it. 

 

His mother wasn't happy and she took a hard look at him. "Myeon, don't be rude." Her voice was also different. From an exaggeratedly sweet, it became firm and blunt. She pointed first at him and then at Joohyun making her flinch. "You are not in the office now. Being in this house, you bury the hatchet and live in peace. Understood?"

 

t felt more like a threat than request. „Yes m’am.” They both answered in unison, hiding their heads and returning to their plates. Being used to them bicker all the time for more than 20 years, made their elders pretty much immune to that but even that didn’t save them from getting away with childish behaviors. Act like children, get scolded like children.

 

Lunch passed without further conflict. Only occasionally questions were asked that did not relate to work. They were short and the answers even shorter. After they pretty much finished eating, Dong Gun invited everyone to the day room for tea. The maid brought to the table vintage styled tea set and various kinds of cakes. The atmosphere was calm, but for some reason, not home like. Junmyeon did not feel comfortable. Not because of Joohyun. The reason was the constant glances his father sent him during the whole visit. The boy felt like he was still under a magnifying glass. He knew this feeling well - pressure, tension and the feeling that whatever it was, he could do it better.

 

Dong Gun took a sip of his tea. He put his elbows on his knees and called over to the couple. "We believe in you two.” His eyes again shifted to his son and stayed there for a moment. 

 

Even Joohyun noticed this. She has been around for too long to not understand the hidden message behind this sight. At such moments she even felt sorry for him, seeing herself and her mother in them. "Yeah, we know that. And we’re thankful for that.” She answered with her best Kims pleasing smile. She always appreciated his concern for both of them, previously as his subordinate and now successor. But she also knew that Mr. Kim always expected so much more from Junmyeon and she wasn’t blind to the heavy signed he let out when she for a second freed him from his father’s crushing stare. 

 

Dong Gun shifted the attention again to both of them. “We are not kidding when we are begging you to be on your best behavior during the opening. I know you’ll be okay but-"

 

"Dad, we're not kids anymore. We've done this plenty of times." Junmyeon interfered in his sentence with a raised voice.

 

Ji So looked at her worried son. “You know what your father means. It’s not only the peace. We want you two to support each other. There’s going to be a lot of pressure.”

 

Junmyeon let out a breathless laugh. “You don’t think that by telling us that you’re just adding more pressure?” He asked sharply as he set down the tea cup. He looked over at Dong Up and his unfazed expression."I take full responsibility for this whole bloody circus. Isn't that enough pressure? I would like you to stop reminding me about it every now and then. I've had enough of this."

 

Joohyun decided not to take part in this exchange. Even if she felt that some of the words were addressed to her.

 

I didn't ask you to take it all on yourself.

 

"Nobody asked you to take it all upon yourself!" Dong Gun's voice resounded all over the room, ahead of Joohyun's thoughts. "I can't help it if you put a burden on yourself, and then all you can do is complain!" The older man shot up from the couch and pointed his finger at the boy. "You're saying you're an adult? Because I don't see it right now!" With that he left the room without saying anything less. His footsteps were slowly fading away till the moment there was a sound of his office door being slammed.

 

Two women looked over to Junmyeon. His teeth were gritted tightly, fighting against a desire to let out his emotions and scream. His clench his fist and smashed it onto his thigh."Goddamn it!" He stormed out and headed towards the wing in the house were his old room once were.

 

Ji So looked as if she was ready to cry. She sighed hopelessly and hid her face behind her hand. Out of two in marriage, Ji So was always the sensitive one. She played the role of a peacemaker, spreading positivity to people around her. She was incredibly warm and loving. A mother to everyone she cared about. Maybe that’s why Joohyun felt some kind of connection to her since she reminded her in so many ways about her late father. 

 

But even someone as calm and gold hearted woman was helpless when two of the most important men in her life found a disagreement. It wasn’t that Mr. Kim was aggressive or short tempered. It wasn’t that Junmyeon was bad mouthed or bratty. Dong Gun loves him very much and is proud of his son, and Junmyeon respects him and his mother like no one else in this world. But work has always been and will always be the most common and least appreciated topic in their home. No wonder - the father wants to protect the empire he had been building for many years, and now he wants his son to take care of it - and this involves many sacrifices. If there is a conflict, everyone will try to talk to each other and no one will be blameless. It is unknown what would have to happen to find a common ground between these two.

 

Feeling bad about Ji So’s despair, Joohyun took a seat next to her on a couch and gently placed a hand on her shoulder for comfort. Ji So immediately squeezed that hand and stayed like that for a while.

 

"Joohyun, I’m sorry you have to witness that.” She sobbed with glossy eyes but tears never fell.

 

"No, it's nothing really. Sadly it's not my first time. But I think they both have to be alone. Let's give them some space." She reassured her.

 

Ji So turned her body to face Joohyun and grabbed both of her hands. "Joohyun, sweetheart, you’re like a second daughter to me. I know that you must be equally exhausted with everything going on, just like my son. Ever since that scum Min Soo  came to your office, I had you in my mind this whole time, praying for your well being.” Joohyun felt her being squeezed. "But I need to ask you for something. I request it as a mother."

 

Joohyun knew what was coming and she silently prayed that it's not what she thinks it will be.

 

Please, you don't want me to-

 

"Please, take care of my son.”

 

Joohyun didn’t know what to say. There was a strange feeling that any moment know she’ll be pressed to the wall. But even knowing that, she actually didn’t found the courage to protest.

 

She despised Junmyeon with her whole being. She would gladly exchange him for someone else. Someone who would treat her as a woman and companion. Someone who would not make her feel like she is someone’s bother. 

 

And yet she was. Staring into the eyes of a mother who wanted nothing more than peace for her child. "Mrs. Kim, I-"

 

"I know I’m asking for too much. I know you two don’t have the best relationship. But…It’s been a long time since he was genuinely happy. He may fool everyone else, but mother always knows.” A single tear met her cheek. "Taking the circumstances, you two may face the biggest challenge yet. You two may disagree with me but you two need each other right now. You need him as much as he needs you, even though he will probably never admit that.”

 

How was she supposed to answered that? This woman who is like a second mother to her is begging her with tears in her eyes to take care of her son. A son that would rather die than to accept her help.

 

Ji So’s eyes resembled a galaxy. The stars in them were many worries she carried at the thought of her family. "You are a team. You two know each other best despite your conflicts. And if the one piece of a whole gets lost, the other just won’t survive.”

 

It was a galaxy to pure to destroy. It shouldn’t feel empty. Not when there was so much admiration in it.

 

And once again, I am asked to achieve something impossible.

   »»————-  ————-««

 

"It's not weird. Not weird at all."

 

The corridors of the Kim residence stretched endlessly. A maze, that's what it looked like. Too many bedrooms, too long corridors, weird paintings every few meters on walls. She really didn't envy the maid who was responsible for cleaning.

 

Before Joohyun got to the door of Junmyeon's former bedroom, she noticed that it was getting hot. Is it from climbing the winding stairs or about this strange feeling of stress that one feels before the exam? She wasn't sure. Thoughts were pressing on the wall of her brain. One of them was a complete inconsistency with the fact that his bedroom was the first place she decided to go when the wing of the residence had 3 guest rooms, a private cinema room and a mini conference room.

 

She could have stayed on the lower floor with Ji So. She could have waited for Junmeyon to walk downstairs alone and return to the office together. But no. At some point, without explanation, she just stood up and her legs just simply guided her up to this very door.

 

"I feel like such a ert.” She reminded herself that she was about to enter his private space. Person’s room is the most intimate place one can ever be in. Not like she has never been in his room before. They did played inside of it when they were kids. She knew it by heart. But now it’s different. She’s entering it without permission and in addition she really doesn’t have anything prepared to say.

 

She exhaled deeply and turned the doorknob. Immediately she was greeted everything she knew Junmyeon to be. Comics, books, figurines, a little gaming station and bookshelves just flooded with mangas and video games. Nerd in his purest form.

 

She searched for him for a while. The bed was empty, the bedding and blanket were undisturbed. No sound came from the bathroom so he was probably not there either. She was ready to investigate other rooms when she heard a soft snoring coming from behind the leather couch near the TV. She slowly approached the source of the sound and her eyes took the form of the biggest coins in the world an view of Junmyeon, curled up in the corner of the couch, holding a pillow like his life depended on it, drooling and snoring like he was having the best nap in his life. 

 

 Joohyun sat soundlessly on a small table in front of the couch, staring at a sleeping man. The last rays of the mid afternoon sun fell slanting through Junmyeon's window. He was lying on his couch, in a leaden, death-like slumber that, for the moment at least, was not even perturbed by the presence of Joohyun. 

 

I could kill him now, and no one would know.


 That was one of the thoughts that went through the girl's mind. In our dreams, we are defenseless. Without protection, without awareness of something lurking around the corner. Just take a pillow and-

 

Joohyun knew it was stupid to think so. As much as he always gets on her nerves, she would never actually kill him. Her imagination was so vivid that it must have been enough.

 

His stillness honestly resembled a dead person. Now having a chance of taking a closer look at him that wasn’t a staring contest, she was finally able to notice the dark circles he had under his eyes and the texture of his skin that appeared very dehydrated.

 

It was one of those rare moments that he had her full attention on him, although being unaware of it.

 

Despite being a complete pain in the , she knew how hard working he was. How much much effort the put in everything he did. And unfortunately, how big of a burden he carried, always trying to be the perfect son who had a path laid down for him. The state he was in right now, allowed him to release himself from the chains of expectations and self doubt, even if it was in a form of a simple nap.

 

Something moved Joohyun when she saw him shivering slightly from the chill dominating in his long unoccupied bedroom. Her gaze danced between him and the cozy looking blanket on his bed.

 

She did questioned her actions when her body moved on itself, again, and she carefully tiptoed to snatch the blanket. She was holding it for a good minute, looking for an excuse on why in hell should she do anything nice. Then, after a short tug of war with her brain, she gently covered him with it, watching as he tucked himself in, still in deep slumber.

 

He did looked peaceful, that she could admit. “You won’t even know it. And no one will found out.” She assured herself. But then again, it should be more like do the deed and go. So why was she once more, not even sitting, but now squatting close to the couch, just a few centimeters from his face.

 

This is not normal. She reminded herself as she felt her hand moving up. A strand of hair that escaped from his perfectly arranged hairstyle was getting on her nerves. Why was she doing that? Tie her up, beat her with a baseball bat and drown her in the river and she will not reveal the answer. It just moved. 

 

Her hand was millimeters away from the stubborn piece of hair when in a brilliant moment, of universe sick game, there were now two brown eyes, drilling into her in confusion. He tried to adjust his eyes to the world’s light and frowned his eyebrows even more when his gaze landed first on her, then on the hand near his face.

 

Joohyun felt like her body froze up. Her lungs simply stopped transporting oxygen, her heart stopped and her blood felt like one long frozen popsicle.

 

Their eyes met. They both remained still for a moment when in unison, their minds started working again and after quick processing of what just happened, their bodies jerked away from each other, both with a scared yelp. 

 

Joohyun landed with her hands on the nearest desk while he buried himself into the corner of the couch, clutching the blanket as if his life depended on it.  The only sound in the air was to heavy and panicked breathing.

 

Junmyeon was the first one to end the silence. “Why the hell are you here?!” He looked down at the blanket. “What were you trying to do with it?! 

 

Joohyun was trying to think of a good excuse. “Well, I-I... I-I was only tryin- trying to-“. But was failing miserably. “Your mom has sent me to check on you!” Nice save. “And, well, uhm, god dammit you were sleeping!” She let out a whiny yell, trying her best save herself out of this awkward scenario.

 

Junmyeon gasped dramatically . “So not only you enter a private room without the owner’s permission but you also watch them sleep? You know how creepy that makes you?” He accused her as if he was victim of some kind of harassment.

 

Joohyun’s face at this point was tomato red. There was no answer that could make this less uncomfortable. “Oh, so that’s a treatment for not being a like you claim me to be? Fine, next time your freezes to death I won’t even bother with covering you up and being nice for a change!” She defended herself, or at least tried.

 

“Being nice? Since whe-?” He stopped immediately. He inspected the blanket again. Then he looked back at her and pointing his finger right at her. “You? Not your secret twin from other dimension?” That made her annoyingly roll her eyes. “You were actually trying to be nice to me?”

 

He got her in the metaphorical corner. 

 

Her palm stared to sweat, color of her face became beet red as her mind was predicting a weather forecast for dark and foggy. She didn’t know how to deny it when she had been caught red handed. Whatever as a creep or a nice person.

 

She hesitated with an answer. Mostly because she didn’t have any. If she tries to open , all that will come out will be either nothing intelligent or embarrassing stuttering. She didn’t know what was more though.

 

“I-I- I try to be nice? Ha ha.” The nervous laughter. Not good. “ Uhm, nice joke.” Girl, you just admitted to it few minutes ago. “ Fact, I did feel sorry for you for a moment, but don’t mistake it for being nice!” He doesn’t look convinced. And he has a audacity to smirk?!

 

Oh and he smirked indeed. You could see satisfaction in his eyes. He enjoyed playing with her. This was a torture, feeling like a bug under a microscope.

 

“You were actually, genuinely worried about me.” He raised his eyebrow suggestively. It wasn’t even a question. It was a statement.

 

And the worst part of it, was the fact that he was right. She did not enjoy him shivering. She felt bad for the tiredness radiating from him. She did felt an urge to shove his hair away. Maybe even touch his face.

 

What she didn’t enjoy was him looking at her while looking like this. His hair was not perfectly styled anymore but the pieces that escaped made him look like he just finished showering. Was this is how the bed head looks like?

 

Not only that, his shirt had like two buttons off, exposing small, but impressive part of his chest and collarbones. His head was lazily supported by his hand which was now playing with the lock of hair. The other one was lying in the arm rest, to signalize that he indeed owned the place. His gaze never left her, the smug on his lips making her stomach turn. 

 

Joohyun didn’t like this feeling at all. I have to get out of here.

 

“Well, think what you want! And by the way, if you, His Royal ness, finished his nap then I will be waiting downstairs so we can go back and actually work!” She made her way to the door, feeling his eyes still on her. She grabbed the doorknob and furiously swing the door open. 

 

With her gone, Junmyeon had a moment to process everything. He came upstairs to his old room, threw some bad words around, even thought about lighting a cigarette. Then he simply angered himself for a while and even though his bed was looking inviting, he somehow ended up on the couch, reliving the pent up emotions and stress before well deserved slumberland took him over. 

 

Before he knew it, he felt something warm embracing him. That warm feeling pulled him out of his sleep in the most delicate way he ever felt. The consciousness began to return when he felt someone's presence, someone's hand, specifically. What happened later reflected Joohyun's reaction. 

 

But damn, he never felt more satisfaction and an urge to hid his blush ever in his life. He could be cocky all he wants but the reality was taking baby steps to show him the facts. And taking into consideration the behavior that spoke through him when new guy came into conversation, it started to genuinely bother him.

 

»»————-  ————-««

 

Seulgi did not have a moment of rest. Every now and then somebody approached her with questions about the arrangement of furniture and sculptures in the main hall, guys responsible for lighting, electricity and water pushed in front of her nose documents and terminals regarding payment and Jongdae couldn't even help her as he was called to Kim's residence. And now she was walking around the building with her hands full of signed contracts, which would have to be sorted later and in hand she was balancing a large iPad, needed for the transaction and quick search for information. 

 

Fortunately, this day will soon be over and she will be able to go home in peace. She has just walked through the corridor, which during the opening is to serve as a passage with various stalls. Her phone rang non-stop but her hands were too occupied to even think about reaching into her purse. She stopped in the middle of the passageway, trying to put everything into one hand, failing at this completely. The sigh of frustration escaped her lips. She really wanted to go home already. 

 

She was ready to continue her struggle when she heard well known, deep voice behind her. 

 

"Hey!”

 

Kim mothering Jongin. She cursed inside. His steps were getting closer and closer and with each subsequent one she tightened her teeth more and more. Before she could protest or run away, he was already in front of her. Dressed more casually than usual but still professional. Well, if you can call tailored jacket and pants with fancy pattern, white dress shirt with two buttons down and white sneakers a causal outfit. Basically he looked like he just walked out of Gucci runway. As always. And she was pissed that despite her opinion on him, he still looked this handsome. 

 

For a while he hesitated to start any conversation, despite the fact that he seemed quite confident when he decided to call her name. Now it all turned into shyness again he only showed to her apparently. 

 

"Uhm-"

 

"If it's nothing important, I still have a few more things to do, so I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't interfere with my work." She said coldly, not letting him start thinking. Despite speaking her mind, she didn't move. She internally screamed at herself. She tried to play it as if she waited for him to move instead of making her way around him. The corridor was spacious enough. But she decided to stay. God,

 

I'm such a weak .

 

Jongin did not pay attention to her struggle. Minseok's words rang in his ears.

 

I am a guy. I can do it. Remember, small steps. Friends first. 

 

With that advice in mind, without hesitation, he slipped his hands between her arms and took a pile of papers that were weighing her down, leaving her only with the iPad. Her eyes became round in reaction to an unexpected gesture, leaving her motionless. She didn't know whether she felt relieved that she could finally get straightened out or whether she was angry that he had violated her personal space. Not like he never was there, but still.

 

She looked at him skeptically. "What do you think you're doing?" She asked, taking the documents out of his hand, or rather, snatching them back.

 

He smiled but completely throwing away all the insecurities he normally held when approaching her."Well, I thought I should save you from looking like a hunchback.” He threw a comment trying to sound charismatic but not come out as a douchebag. 

 

She didn’t looked convinced, but also happened to be taken aback by his tone. "Where that came from? Since when we are on such friendly note?”

 

Jongin activated every cell in his brain to come up with some good excuse. "Well, I wanted to be nice and help you." Wow, truly original.

 

Seulgi closed her eyes. As much as she shamefully appreciated his help, she still wanted to stay to the boundaries she established herself. "Jongin, how many times do I have to tell you? Your assistance is not something I want. Stop trying to push in.” It hurt her to some point but for the peace of mind she needed to do it for herself. Her mind was at chaos right now. Why universe was playing with her, not letting her keep up with one decision? Why does everything always have to come back, no matter how much she repels it?  She started to go in opposite directions, trying to escape from it.

 

Jongin did not want to face another failure.  Minseok would be disappointed by his lack of male firmness. Sooyoung would laugh at him. Seungwan would have reason to treat him like garbage again. Seulgi would slip out of his hand again. He couldn't afford that. He wanted this conflict to end.

 

"Friends!"


If that was what they needed to be to build their relationship from scratch, then so be it. It's not like he was having other option here. 


She slowly turned around. "What?"

 

"I'm clever enough to understand that you don't want to give us another chance. And I absolutely agree with you. But I think you'll admit that our behavior doesn't help us at work. How are we supposed to work together when we're still hiding from each other?" He raised his voice again since she was a good few meters away form him. "That's why I want to start again. No previous strings attached, without thinking about how rough the past was." He took a few steps to reappear in front of her stoic sillouethe. "Seulgi. I want us to be friends. We don't have to go back to the past, I wouldn't do that to you. But I won't hide that I miss you in my life as a friend."

 

Friends? Was he serious? How does he imagine it? So many cruel words she said, so many quarrels, so many broken promises on his part. Was she really ready to forget their past? They had history together. It’s not something that can be wiped in a span of few months. 

 

She was hesitant at his offer that’s for sure. "I-I don’t know. It’s not that simple.” Her voice got small.

 

"I’m not saying it should be immediate. You’ll decide. I already know what I want. But please don’t feel like I’m forcing you to do it. In fact, I really want your honest opinion on that.” He answered softly.

 

The truth is, she did considered it. Mulitple times. But pride and sorrow did not allow her to function with him. 

 

"I don’t know. I can’t give you answer now, it’s too sudden.” She saw hope disappearing from Jongin’s face and body. "But-"

 

God, what am I doing?

 

"I don't promise that everything will be all right. Our relationship was too hectic the last couple of months. But I admit that I'm indeed tired of it." It was the honest truth.

 

Hope has come again. "Does that mean that-?"

 

"I'll try to move to neutral ground. But it will not be a friendship, too soon for that. Only work ground."

 

He let out a relieved chuckle. "Well, better than nothing." He took a step closer but remained a respectful distance. "Seulgi, I know my promises to you are worth nothing, but I will try to bury the hatchet between us. I don't want to be your enemy for the rest of my life."

 

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever.”

 

There was a silence between them that was both reassuring and far more stretched than it should be. They would occasionally glance at each other, not knowing who would speak or leave first. Jongin noticed how her fingers twitched beneath the papers, which was enough for him to open his mouth.

 

He cleared his throat before gaining some sort of confidence. "I know this may be a poor timing, but I'd really like to help you carry these papers."

 

She just looked at him annoyed and threw her head back. "Jesus Christ, you're stubborn." 

 

Quite the reaction he was expecting. But it still made him smile.

 

"Is that a no?”

 

To his satisfaction, she did smile. "Correct. You’re not there yet. You'll have to earn it.”

 

"Doesn't hurt to try, I guess."

 

The atmosphere has changed. Uncertainty continued to drift in the air, but was spread out by the chance. The goal will not happen quickly. But Jongin believed they will eventually get here.

 

They walked side by side just a few steps when Seulgi collided with a stranger at the corner that appeared out of nowhere. His uniform indicated that he might have been a janitor and additionally he was carrying a mop. As a result of the impact, all papers, including the tablet, ended up on the floor. The device was secured with a case, so there was little chance of it crashing. Seulgi was to start collecting until she felt strong hands holding her forearms. Probably a collision made her fly back. Straight into Jongin's arms.

 

Not wanting to drop the little progress they had made, he quickly let her go, just helping her to get her balance. The two of them crouched right away to pick up the pieces. The janitor also decided to help. 

 

"I'm so sorry Miss! I didn't look where I was going!" His voice was panicked and his eyes were chaotically circling over a pile of papers. Jongin watched as he randomly waved his hands without knowing what to grab. All this waving, let his sleeves fall down to his wrists, revealing his silver watch. The Jongin's gaze remained on the ornament for a while. He seemed to be too expensive for someone who works as a simple janitor.

 

"No, it's okay. I wasn't paying attention either." Seulgi tried to excuse him, to which he responded with a shy smile. When the documents were collected, Seulgi wanted to pick up the iPad. However, the janitor was ahead of her. His hand hung over the device for a while, making the girl uneasy with reaching for it. Didn't he know if he could touch it?

 

Eventually, he finally grabbed it and handed it over to her. The whole trio stood from the floor. "Once again, I'm sorry. I'll be careful next time." He bowed respectfully. Seulgi bowed back and started heading towards the exit. After a few steps she noticed that she had a lighter hand. She glanced at Jongin who stayed beside her and noticed half of the documents, proudly held by him.

 

She exhaled. "You really don't give up?"

 

"It was lying on the floor. It's a free real estate." 

 

The joke remained unanswered. They quickly walked to the main hall to finally dispose themselves from the documents.

 

Maybe that's what prevented them from noticing how the mysterious janitor, standing now behind the wall, looked around and took out his phone. He carefully checked his position once again, making sure he was alone.

 

3 rings. Raspy voice answered on the other side. 

 

The man looked at his wrist. "Hello. Yes, President Choi. I got the data." He said, glancing at the watch, where the inscription Data transmission completed was glowing brightly. 

»»————-  ————-««

 

They returned to the office in silence. Jongdae was used to this awkward silence between them. It was better than constant screaming and fighting in the back seat. He did not know what exactly happened at the Kim's estate, but if they were both sitting as far away from each other as possible now, with a blush on their cheeks, it must have been something completely different than usual. Upon arrival, they quickly went to the shared cabinet, not saying a word after the door was closed. Thankfully, no one was in the office now. The unwanted rumors would spread quickly.

 

They could have sat as far away from each other as possible. So why did they end up on sofas on opposite sides, plunged into a staring contest? 

 

"You look like you want to say something." She addressed his anticipating position with hands intertwined together.

 

His stare did not leave her. "I could say the same thing about you." His tone was flat. He noticed her crossed legs and crossed arms over her chest, one leg bouncing impatiently.

 

Both of them wanted to discuss certain topics. He- the mysterious Jackson here. She-the missing pills case.


The heel sounds were heard from the moment the elevator reached the 10th floor. The walk was determined. The steps were getting closer and closer. Jongdae was quietly reading the report thinking that it was Seulgi who came back to work. He was already about to greet her when a face he had known well, though not seen for a long time, sent him a hearty smile.

 

"Hello there, Mr. Kim. It's been a long time since we've seen each other." 


"Are you going to tell me what it was supposed to be?" His tone came back to the harsh one she was used to.

 

"I have no idea what you're talking about." She was defending herself.

 

He wasn't giving up. "First you hide things behind my back, and then you do the same numbers as at my house?" He accused her, pointing finger at her.

 

She looked offended. "Oh ho, don't lecture me about hiding things behind someone else's back! You're a master at it!" She snapped back.

 

He looked confused but decided to stand his ground. "Now you're throwing accusations? What are you trying to frame me into this time?"

 

Joohyun had enough. The anger from earlier found its way back. She has a perfect chance to ask him now. "You wanna know? Fine! Why in hell-"

 

The office door opened dramatically, hitting both walls. Joohyun and Junmyeon at the same time looked at the intruder who interrupted their exchange. Joohyun's eyes were filled with surprise and sudden joy. Junmyeon did not share the enthusiasm and felt that his spine had paralyzed the rest of his body.

 

Looking like straight out of runway, her long dark hair was blowing on...the wind? There is not even wind here. Bright aura adorned her figure like a halo, matching her childish smile which accompanied her even as an adult.

 

"I'm home, Big Brother!" She announced in English, British accent resonating in the room.

 

Junmyeon felt the air and blood leaving his body. ". The devil is back."

 

The one and only. Straight from London. Kim Yeri has arrived. 

 

 

Author's note: *sips tea by the fire place, in robe and turns head, breaking the fourth wall* Oh, hello there. Didn't see you. I suppose you're wondering, why so long to update? Well, life decided to make me its punching bag and I took all the hits. Buuuut, I think I went crazy with this chapter, which will atone me for my delay. I had this chapter at the back of my head, sparing every moment on writing it. It took some time, but I finally finished! We are entering the part with new characters (my fav to write, so I'm excited!) and there will be so much stuff going on. Thank you for reading the story and stay tuned *jazz hands*!