12. Know me To Well

Then There Was You

It was wrong. Very very bad.

 

The longer Jongin looked at the inside of the floor's fridge, the scarier scenarios came to his mind. This shouldn't have happened. The world can't end this quickly.

 

Who had the audacity to eat Seulgi's spicy braised chicken special?

 

The entire 10th floor, if not the entire building, is well aware that Seulgi loves her lunches. She has a special fondness for this specific dish because it was the only dish she could cook when she was in college. She prepares it every other evening to reheat it at lunchtime in the staff kitchen. Perfectly seasoned, packed in an orange bento with a teddy bear image. Keeping the heat in and handy - Jongin knows this, he bought it for her birthday himself.

 

One might think: what's the problem? This is South Korea. Here people share food at every possible opportunity and say Have you eaten yet? more often than How are you? Sharing a meal with someone is downright praised. Under normal circumstances, yes. But not when you're at the beck and call of two of the most demanding business people in Seoul, at one of the country's most prestigious companies. At least such a person can be selective about their own food. And Seulgi is very serious about her lunch time. When they were still a couple, she didn't speak to him for 2 days after he accidentally drunk her favorite banana yogurt. Better not to mess with women and their food, he learned that day. After a couple of such incidents (which did not always end peacefully), Seulgi started sticking a note with her name on the bento, just in case someone did not understand the message.

 

So who the hell values life so little and committed such a crime? "Not good. Not good." Jongin mumbled to himself, checking for the sixth time that he hadn't missed the orange box in the fridge. Yes, it is still not there. Someone is going to get hurt.

 

"Ok Jongin, don't panic. She's tired today-maybe she won't notice. How do I know that? I count her coffee cups at every break. Although now that I think about it, I sound like a stalker. Why am I talking to myself?" He made a sound of deep frustration, simultaneously being annoyed with himself and counting his options. 

 

Walking in circles around the staff kitchen, he didn't notice the figure standing behind him. "Everything alright?" A low voice spoke up, to which Jongin jumped back throwing his hands up. Turning around with his heart rate elevated, he looked into the unmoving eyes of a half a head taller Chanyeol, holding a cup in both hands like a lost child in the middle of the night.

 

Jongin took a deep breath, pawing at his frame. "What the hell, Chanyeol? A warning would be nice!.”

 

The boy with glasses lowered his gaze to the floor in shame, his curls covering his face. "Sorry."

 

When Jongin calmed down, he waved his hand at the boy. "Don't worry. I'm just having a crisis situation here. Don't pay attention to me." After which, he began to open the shelves, taking out cutlery and products from the fridge. Chanyeol just stood in the doorway in the same position, watching his colleague play Master Chief.

 

"Not to pry, but does your crisis have anything to do with Ms. Kang?"

 

Jongin threw him a glance over his shoulder. "First of all- what you’re doing, that’s exactly what prying is. Secondly," He laughed helplessly, tossing the packet of rice into the hot water. "No? Why does everyone think my whole life revolves around Ms. Kang?” 

 

"Because, as I’ve heard, ever since you two reconciled, you've been acting even more awkward than before?" He said flatly.

 

Jongin paused to season the dish in the pot, forming his lips in a flat line and just staring at the guy. "Listen kid. You’ve been here since when? A month?"

 

"A month and seven days."

 

"Of course." Jongin turned away and went back to stirring the rice and tomato paste. "I'm guessing you know everything from either Sooyoung or Seungwan, inferring from the amount of time you spend with her." Jongin smirked at his comment. The boy thinks he is sly. Guess what? I have eyes too.

 

Chanyeol started tapping his fingers on the cup in his hands. "With all due respect, Ms. Son is my mentor responsible for my development during this internship, so it's only natural that I spend a lot of time with her." He said firmly, which was unlike him. "If by that you mean I do whatever she tells me to do when you yourself can't behave normally in the presence of an ex-girlfriend- then I don't know if we should compare each other." 

 

Jongin turned away, looking at Chanyeol's serious face in disbelief. The taller boy seemed to have noticed the reaction Jongin had and immediately corrected his glasses, put the mug on the counter and lowered his head, intertwining his hands in front. "Again- with all due respect.”

 

Jongin was standing over the tabletop as if he were in awe. In a good way- the shy intern is able to stand his ground. Impressive. A bit informal, but still.

 

"Okay already. No need to get so defensive." Jongin waved his hand at him and went back to stirring the ingredients in the pot, but stopped after a few seconds. "Is that really so obvious that I'm holding onto it?" He threw over his shoulder.

 

Chanyeol looked around the room, not quite sure if he should answer. "Ehh...you know sunbaenim...it's just my... in-insignificant opinion." He replied with difficulty.

 

I'll take that as a yes.

 

For a moment a silence fell between the boys so awkward that every cough from behind the wall made them want to end this suffering as quickly as possible. Chanyeol tapped against the surface of the cup while Jongin painfully slowly stirred the miserable excuse for a meat, the boiling of which was an equally pathetic accompaniment to the uncomfortable atmosphere.

 

"Listen kid. Sorry for taking it out on you." Jongin sighed with defeat, trying to show maturity, while watching the pot. "I know you're new here and a lot of things may not be clear to you yet. All this transferring personal life to work, very unprofessional of me, I'm aware. I hope I can teach you not to make my mistakes in the future you spend here-"

 

"Sunbaenim, actually-" Chanyeol tried to interrupt.

 

"You know, with women, you never know anything, whether it's right or wrong-" Jongin ignored him, musing in a torrent of words.

 

"Really, you don't have to explain it to me-"

 

"And as your senior colleague, I should be a role model for you. Both professionally and privately."

 

"That's not what I mean."

 

Jongin raised his hand to keep his attention on himself. "The point is-" He looked in front of him, then at the boy next to him and at the pot of which the ingredients looked ready for use. "The thing is. That I'm really trying. Really. Or at least I think so." Jongin turned off the gas and began pouring the meat into a bowl. He looked at his amateur culinary masterpiece, contemplating why he made it in the first place. Oh yeah. Because he's a hopeless guy who wants to fix his mistakes with food. Sounds great. The corners of his lips lifted up. "Sorry. I must have bored you. You're right, I should look at myself before I judge others."

 

"I think she will like it."

 

Now Jongin didn't know what he meant. "Excuse me?"

 

Chanyeol pointed with his nose towards the bowl. "The stew I mean. Looks good. I'm sure she'll appreciate it." The boy played with the ends of his jumper. "It's true I don't know the situation. So frankly, I don't need the details- I've never been a gossip. But I can also see without context that you are trying to have a good relationship with Ms. Kang not only for yourself, but also for your office colleagues. I respect you for that.  I will keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome." He announced enthusiastically, raising his motivational fists in the air. "I- And again, I apologize for my comment earlier." He apologized with that boyish, shy smile of his. It was enough to warm Jongin's heart.

 

"Thank you. For the good word." He thanked sincerely and placed the bowl on a small tray. "I should carry this before it gets cold."

 

"Of course. Please." Said the boy, making way for him. Jongin neatly passed him, but turned around at the last moment. 

 

"Just out of curiosity, did you need anything from the kitchen?"

 

Chanyeol's eyes lit up at that question. " I came to make coffee for Ms. Son.”

 

Oh yeah? "She asked for it?"

 

Chanyeol made a toothy grin. He looked like a school girl before giving chocolates to her crush. "No. I just wanted to make it." And that smile again. And the blush. "Why are you asking?"

 

That kind of smile comes in very specific situations. One doesn't always have that much adoration in one's gaze when making coffee.

 

"Nothing. Just asking.” Turns out, they both have it bad. 

  »»————-  ————-««

"And thus, my ladies, is the secret to baby-like skin."

 

A wave of applause and delight resounded around Sehun. The female interns, secretaries, and janitors were divided into those clapping with approval and those too absorbed in the handsome aura of the gray suit-clad man who had a smug look glued to his face. Who said that running business errands had to be boring? Confidence is not ego, but at this point, he had no problem if someone would it a bit.

 

Sehun had always enjoyed compliments and made no secret of it. Representing a respectable figure like his father comes with a certain level of charisma and charm. Always poised, confident and certainly, difficult to distract. 

 

Except for the fact that apparently it was easy cause all it took was to find out from the corner of his eye the long black hair, whose owner was carrying in her small hand a limited edition of handbags from Burberry, which were to be released only in 3 months ahead. Not that Sehun was interested in women's fashion, of course, but he knew one person who had connections to lay her hands of this accessory this early. Deaf to his ears were the admirations, oh's and ah's of the circle of female adoring fans surrounding him. 

 

"Forgive me ladies, but duty calls." He apologized with a polite smile, which of course was met with collective, pouting displeasure. Disregarding this, he began to move away towards the main staircase, where the sound of way too expensive heels spread across the marble surface. Sehun kept his distance a good few meters away, not wanting to attract the attention of passersby's. It wouldn't look good to a stranger eye that would see a man hurriedly grab an unsuspecting woman and drag her to a secluded spot. Even if just to talk, but they don't know that.

 

Waiting, until she turned the corner into the second floor hallway, he glanced around to make sure no one was around. God, I look like a stalker. Or a psychopath. Or both.

 

The woman was now between the elevator stand and the janitor's room. Without waiting for her to press the door button, Sehun sped up his stride and, finding himself behind her back, grabbed her arm and quickly opened the door of the room next door, closing it behind him. Before she could scream, he turned her around facing him, his other hand struggling to find the light's switch. When the light illuminated their faces, the girl made big eyes. Sehun wasn't sure if it was a sign of happiness or shock.

 

"You!"

 

"I should be saying that! And no! You!" 

 

Not a very ideal conditions for a reunion. Oh Sehun and Kim Yeri, crammed into a cramped storage room, lit by blinding led lights, with brushes and chemical supplies poking into various body parts.

 

Yeri tried to pull her hand from between the shelves, now free from the unexpected abduction. "Sehun. Not that I'm not thrilled about this meeting-" A package of sponges fell right next to her head. "-but I'd really rather have coffee at some cafe. Or lunch. Or some 'hello' to start. Unless this is some new of yours- all the more reason to warn people before you proceed."

 

He swallowed down his frustration with her accusing him of some weird kinks. "Oh. Good thing at least you're happy out of two of us." The mop fell between them. "Because I as you see-" He pushed the metal stick to the side. "-am not happy in a slightest!” 

 

"And that's why you kidnapped me to a cramped storage room? I always knew you were straightforward, but wow. Is this how you greet all your friends after not seeing them in a while?”

 

Not being in the mood for her nagging and remarks, Sehun pulled his arms from between the shelves and rested his forearms on those behind Yeri's head, effectively caging her in. She immediately stopped talking, and a blush appeared on her face. They both stood like that for a few moments, his gaze boring into her large eyes. Her gaze on the other hand, wandered between the strong arms surrounding her, to the way his chest was pressed against her front. Sehun must have noticed it too, because he began to move away to the minimum distance the cramped room allowed. 

 

Clearing his throat, he tried to stop the pounding in his chest and keep his cool. "That’s one way to shut you up."

 

Visibly embarrassed, Yeri began playing with the ends of her hair, avoiding his still piercing gaze. "If you're done with your childish games, why don't you finally tell me what your problem is?" She asked slightly annoyed by the whole situation.

 

"You know perfectly well what I mean." Sehun replied with a smile but harshly.

 

"No. I don’t. Please, elaborate.”

 

Sehun took a deep breath. She's gonna be the death of me. "Where should I start? From the fact that on our last meting you dropped a big secret bomb on me, when you know very well I don't like being their confidant? Or from the fact that at the moment when I've already managed to forget about it, I suddenly find out that you show up unannounced and you being here reminds me of the one thing I'm supposed to keep behind my lips to the grave? Take your pick."

 

A realization appeared in Yeri's eyes. "Ooohhh. You mean that." She lowered her gaze then looked up, almost offended. Probably realizing the seriousness of the situation "But why are you taking it out on me? Is it that much of a problem? You got away with it for so long." She gasped. "Don’t tell me you've been ganging up on me!"

 

Now Sehun looked offended. "What? No! Just saying it would be nice to firstly express the desire to reveal a secret, for me to maybe consider if I want to take part in the process of secret keeping!”

 

Yeri looked at him in confusion. "What? That's exactly what I did."  

 

"Eh, no? You said you had a secret, I told you I couldn't deal with secrets, and you just, flat out, told me your big secret.” Sehun tried to whisper-shout. "And the waiter didn't even have time to give us our appetizer back then!”

 

The only response he received from the short girl was an unamused expression. "You done?”

 

He was far from done. "Not only that, you made me swear on my dead grandma, that I’ll have to lie to my best friend. Your brother, I humbly remind you! You know how many family dinners I had to skip because the thought of lying to your family made me sweat and my face to have tics of a crazy person?”

 

His rant aroused another uncomfortable silence. Neither could look at the other, awkwardly trying to do something with their hands like playing with the first better rag or reading the chemical composition of toilet wash. Anything to keep their hands away from each other. Not only was the room cramped, but it must have had broken ventilation, as the state of the temperature and the closeness with which Sehun and Yeri stood next to each other began to make itself known in the flushes on their necks and cheeks and their sweaty palms. 

 

Sehun silently prayed in his mind that no one would enter the storage room now. The only thing that saved them from possible embarrassment was the fact that they were both dressed. Well actually. On the second thought. Wait a minute. That sounded bad. He mentally zapped himself with a decent slap in the face for such thoughts. Maybe interrogation in such a place wasn't a smart idea after all.

 

Sehun looked down at the small brunette further pressed against his chest. Why of all days, today is the day she had to wear such a tight dress? Curse Sehun's height, for all it took was a slight lowering of his gaze for his eyes to peer into her cleavage. She probably felt that too. The tense feeling in her body let the man know that he had put her in a vulnerable position. But he also had his worries so it was better to talk now-without the lofty emotions.

 

"Yeri. Tell me honestly." At the sound of his voice, round eyes found his. "You really only flew to Korea at Junmyeon's request?"

 

A sigh escaped the girl's lips as she pouted. "Partially."

 

"What does that mean?"

 

"It means that this request was a good excuse for me to fly here and not cause unnecessary sensation. So that my family wouldn't suddenly have to make a big deal about some stupid treatment."

 

Sehun was taken aback. "What do you mean stupid? What's stupid about going to the doctor when you clearly need it?"

 

"I don't desperately need to go to the doctor. I'm a picture of health!" Yeri expressed proudly, ing her chest forward. However, the pride quickly disappeared when her pugnacious face began to curve and discomfort appeared on her face, followed by her balled fist disappearing somewhere low behind her back.

 

That action caught Sehun's attention. "Why are you holding yourself like that?" He asked with a bit of a sneer. Of course he knew the reason, but until she admits it herself, he won’t get any satisfaction.

 

"For no particular reason. Everything's fine." She answered trying to mask as much obvious pain as possible. Sehun didn't believe this bull for a second. But he also knew that the conditions wouldn't allow him to get decent answers. He has to play his cards with caution.

 

"We'll talk about it later." He looked around the room one last time. "On more convenient terms." He reached for the door handle and the light from the hallway made them squint their eyes. Letting Yeri go ahead, he scrambled out of the claustrophobic cloister after her, loosening his tie and awkwardly feeling his shirt being stuck to his body. Yeri, on the other hand, corrected her pencil dress and tried to bring her slightly disheveled hairstyle into order. The remnants of the blush around her collarbones were slowly disappearing, but it was apparent that she was breathing a little heavier now that the hallway was cooler. 

 

"Ehm..." Sehun began uncertainly. "So now I guess, I'll see you around. Or call or text or whatever."

 

Yeri only glared at him but she could only sigh and accept that the situation they were in would require cooperation. "I guess. Next time just pick a place that's more than two square meters." Throwing her bag over her shoulder she wandered off in the direction she had come from, the incident from a few minutes ago had probably thrown the purpose of her visit out of her mind. Sehun also decided to cool off a bit and headed towards the company restaurant. Adjusting his tie, he cracked his neck and left the hallway. 

 

But perceptiveness at times like this was not one of his strong points, because he didn't notice Sooyoung and Seungwan sitting on the balcony benches and staring at the incident like they were watching a movie in the theater. The lack of context for the entire incident and the distance not allowing them to hear the conversation left the two women only to speculate about what might have happened in that storage room. The messy clothes and red skin, however, seemed too suggestive.

 

"Sly motherer. I knew something was up when he panicked in our office." Sooyoung grinned, sipping her coffee. 

 

"Do you think Mr. Kim knows? We're talking about his little sister and friend here, after all. Just like in some television show." Seungwan asked with intrigue, following the tall man with her eyes.

 

Sooyoung shrugged her shoulders. "Probably not yet. But whatever happens, this will not lie to me again." With a smile, building’s biggest gossiper and hopeless romantic finished her coffee, threw the cup away, and headed back to the office with her friend with a very uplifted mood.

  »»————-  ————-««

Kyungsoo liked to believe that he was a fairly calm person by nature. 

 

Although his professional attitude and his reputation among the team inspired either strong respect or paralyzing fear in the apprentices, unnecessary outbursts were never his strong feature. He never liked noise or excessive excitement - stoic composure accompanied him for most of his adult life.

 

Growing up in a chaotic household-with a father who enforced strict punishments and a mother who was too scared to stand up for herself, the moment his foot stepped outside the threshold of the family home at the age of 17, Kyungsoo promised himself that he would not let his upbringing corrupt his life. He made it through high school as a small-timer, graduated with a good degree in Business Management and Modern Economics, only to be accepted into K&B a few years later by senior chairman Kim.

 

However- the past did not always let him forget. Despite his efforts to behave decently, his environment often forced fights and unpleasant taunts. Reactions varied depending on the attackers, but sometimes fists had to be used in which he reluctantly put a lot of passion. He often suspected that word of this had spread and this was why people approached him with detachment or were afraid of any interaction. In fear of his habits, Kyungsoo believed he was doomed to be alone. Who would want to bond with a bitter, tired and intimidating dude like him?

 

Then Ji Hyun came into his life. A beautiful brunette with big, sparkling eyes with a smile that lit up the room. When they met, she was working part-time at a K&B cafe and Kyungsoo was just starting out as an intern. From the moment he saw her smile, he knew he had fallen deep. Previously unfamiliar, accelerated heartbeat and quiver in his voice now accompanied him every time he went to buy tea. Once when he mustered up the courage to speak to her, he became so nervous that his brain stopped distinguishing between languages and he placed his order in three different ones mixed together. He remembers her uncontrollable laughter in response to that to this day. He recalls it fondly too, because they got married exactly two years after the event.

 

And now, eight years later, Kyungsoo sits in his office with his head lowered into his hands, unable to shake the uncertainty and fear lurking somewhere behind him.

 

Kyungsoo is going to be a father. Unbelievable. The thought made him want to cry, laugh and vomit at the same time. What must Ji Hyun be going through if he's in this state? And how can she put up with her husband being a coward? If he was him, he would have treated such a jerk a long time ago with a roundhouse kick. Meanwhile she, after this hopeless pregnancy reveal, is more understanding, loving and supportive towards him than ever. It should be the other way round. He should be the one jumping for joy and being there for her every strange and urgent call. She made him realize that he wants children, so why is it so hard for him to be happy when he knows that in 9 months time he will be holding a little human being made out of love and care in his arms?

 

"I'm afraid I'll become like my father." He managed to admit it out loud after many days of stewing it inside. He hated to revisit this topic, even though he knew full well that it was the source of all his current frustrations.

 

Yixing, sitting across from him, tried to listen to as much of his story as possible despite being already late for another appointment five floors up. "Mr. Do. I think I know why you say that. But I want your full answer. Why do you think that?"

 

"I'm afraid of hurting them."

 

"Your wife and child?"

 

Kyungsoo exhaled deeply. "Yes."

 

"How come?"

 

Kyungsoo's chest seemed to be getting heavier. "I'm afraid the moment will come when... when something will happen. I'll be tired and angry and take that anger out on them. Just like my father used to do. The way I reacted when I was growing up." The air seemed suffocating. "That I will hit Ji Hyun. Or our children."

 

"Have you thought about hitting her when she's made you angry?"

 

"No!" Kyungsoo said fiercely. "Never! Not once. I would never..." He hesitated. "I know it's easy to say it would be quicker for her to knock me out, but this is completely different. I don't know how I'll react in the future and that worries me!"

 

"That's a cynical way of looking at it," Yixing said. "and I don't think you truly believe that, either." He leaned back, placing his elbows on his knees. "I've met a lot of people in my career as a therapist, in different relationships and with different backgrounds. Few people are aware of their problems and even fewer try to eradicate them. The simple sign that you can look at your childhood and puberty period through an objective, self-aware perspective is a signal of positive change. You really want to be better.”

 

Kyungsoo ran his thumb over his knuckles. "'I don't know what to do to push these thoughts away. The last thing I would want is to break Ji Hyun's heart."

 

Yixing chuckled. "Director Do, I don't know your wife personally but from stories I imagine a dynamite, 162 cm woman, with a big and good heart. Just try to communicate your feelings to her to the best of your ability. And if she is as you describe her, I think she'll understand more than what you her credit for.” He un-crossed his legs and risen up from his seat. "Have some faith in yourself, Director. Just like I have faith in myself that during my today’s session with Mr. Kim and Ms. Bae, there won’t be a single broken glass by the end of it.” 

  »»————-  ————-««

Seulgi was beginning to think that her relationship with Jongin had entered calm waters since their last conversation. There was no longer the awkward avoiding of eyes, they greeted each other in the hallway, talked about work- and if luck was on their side- even things outside of it.  Sure they occasionally had a slip of the tongue but the friendship seemed to be going steady. Yes, that's exactly what they had. Friendship.

 

So color Seulgi surprises when a tray of hot soup arrived on her desk and Jongin stood over her with a determined look on his face.  Eyeing the sudden dish, she looked once at it, once at him. "What is this?"

 

"Soup." Jongin demonstrated the bowl and put his hands back on his hips. 

 

"I see what it is. I'm asking why you put it on my desk."

 

"Believe me. It saves your stomach and most likely one of our colleagues' lives. You'll thank me later." He assured her with concerning confidence and took off.

 

"That literally tells me nothing but okay!" She yelled at him even though he took off so quickly he probably didn't hear her.

 

She looked at the steaming stew with curiosity, What was going through his mind? They agreed to take baby steps in their relationship. She wasn't sure if cooking for each other counted as a collegial gesture, no matter how close they once were. Maybe he'd done something wrong? At their past arguments, he had bought her cheesecake as an apology. She didn't have time to think about it any longer because Dr. Zhang rushed into the hallway like lightning. Perfect.

 

"Doctor, can I ask you something?" 

 

Yixing was apparently not thrilled, as he turned around just as his hand was about to grab the door handle. If he wanted to let her know that he was already late, he was definitely letting her know that. "What can I do for you, Ms. Kang?" He asked with a forced smile. He might as well start doing that now, since he was about to spend the next hour with two psychopaths.

 

"Do you have any experience in counseling couples?"

 

"I think my two Masters in psychology and the fact that I've been trying to get my most difficult patients together for five years prove it."

 

"I was sitting quietly and my ex-fiancé brought me," She gestured at the bowl. "Soup."

 

She waited for an answer that never came. Replacing the stuck-on smile, one could tell he had gone slightly pale. Yixing simply stared at her with a blank stare as if his ten years of experience in the profession had flown before his eyes. Knowing his patients, that was probably the case.

 

"Doctor. I believe this is the part when you tell me that it's not just the soup." No response. He his lips into a thin line. "For example, maybe a gesture of intimacy? Like, for example, rice symbolizing a foundation for renewed trust?" He loosened his tie. "Or is it mistrustful soup?" She herself was no longer sure what she was asking. "Doctor, what message could he be giving me with this?"

 

The stare-down continued as Yixing whimpered pathetically. "Nope. I’m done with this.” He turned dramatically and entered the presidents' office, despite Seulgi calling him back. Seriously, working with guys is drama. They're all overly dramatic and mysterious. 

 

"Ms. Kang, I have the copies you asked for." A low voice spoke up from her left, the tall cutie that was Chanyeol appeared in her line of vision. With a smile, he handed her a bunch of papers.

 

"Aw, you're the best!" She thanked with an equally sincere smile. She really was grateful that at least he was making her job easier. "By the way, did you eat that lunch I told you about?"

 

"Yes, it was very good! I still feel bad that you gave me your lunch." He pouted.

 

She waved her hand. "Stop. It's no big deal! You didn't take yours today and in your haste you forgot your wallet. I couldn't leave a younger colleague in need. Just don't tell anyone about it. Normally I take my lunch seriously, but if I'm being honest- you're my favorite here." She whispered that last part. Embarrassed, Chanyeol made a gesture of pulling out his pocket a finger heart, which made her blush to no end.

 

He looked at the untouched dish. "How's the soup?" 

 

"Oh. I haven't tried it yet." She took the spoon and was already about to dip it when she came to a halt. "Why?"

 

Chanyeol smirked. "Oh, you know. No reason." He bowed and went back to work. 

 

Yep. All men are weird, confirmed.

  »»————-  ————-««

He does it on purpose.

 

Never in her life has Joohyun been so annoyed at the arrangement of the desks. Seemingly on opposite sides of the room, some 5 meters away, and her gaze would unconditionally land on the man across her line of sight, every time she didn't look at the documents. Junmyeon was too preoccupied with what Jongdae was showing him on the computer screen, both of them completely oblivious to the pair of eyes looking back at them every now and then. Each time, Joohyun wanted to gouge her eyes out in annoyance.

 

Ever since their visit to the hospital, Joohyun had caught herself looking in his direction more and more often with hidden, discreet glances, and when he wasn't around, her head was filled with thoughts of where he might be and what he might be doing. There was not a drop of sneer or annoyance in her intentions. And it was driving her crazy. No matter how forcefully, she couldn't push out of her mind the feeling she felt when his strong arms surrounded her when they were in the ball pool. How his hands had gripped her shoulders, her stomach, her hips, under her knees-anything to keep her from escaping him then. How his laughter echoed through the air, being a genuine, unforced response. An honest one.

 

Joohyun, stop it. You sound like a ert.

 

Unaware of her continued scrutiny, Junmyeon had apparently been tipped off by a sign from the heavens that the office was stuffy, and without taking his eyes off the monitor, he pulled off his jacket. Joohyun didn't realize that she had started holding her breath. Just to make matters worse, he rolled up the sleeves of his shirt, revealing his muscular, veiny forearm, the wrist of which was adorned with a large silver watch. He began to gently touch his chin with other hand, clearly focused on his assistant's words. It required physical strength to keep Joohyun's jaw from dropping.

 

I've seen his arms a million times! Why am I just now staring at him like some teenager? Vomit reflex, where are you?

 

This attraction is everything she never needed or wanted, and it was honestly making her panic since she didn't know why it happened so suddenly. The sober part of her brain was telling her to throw some kind of pencil or stapler at him. To shatter this sudden Michelangelo-style image. On the other hand, the strangely enchanted one had a desire to put her hand in his or to feel the warmth and protection of his arms again. As in the most comfortable blanket in the world.

 

Blessed was Jongdae and his professionalism, who had such a good divisibility of attention that he was able to talk about the shares of cargo companies in the process of carrying customs tariffs and at the same time managed not to laugh when he noticed the appearance of hearts in the eyes of his female boss at the sight of Mr. Kim. That and the fact that she had been stirring her tea with a pen for five minutes.

 

"That will be all for now Mr. Kim." 

 

That snapped Joohyun out of her trance. Jongdae picked up his things, made a quick bow and wandered towards the exit. Before he left he sent Joohyun an eye squeezing smile, which she quickly read as a message I see what you did.

 

Now it was just the two of them. Her and the source of her frustration. 

 

Junmyeon apparently sensed the impending awkward silence and their eyes met. A hazy thread formed between them that couldn't be seen, but they both felt it was there. Joohyun felt as if her heart jumped up to her larynx. And it made her feel warmer. That's it. The greatest humiliation. She'll never finacially and emotionally recover from this. The last thing she wanted was to be caught drooling over the guy she'd told that same morning that she'd rather have a horse kick her face than ask him for a glass of water. Death might take her already.

 

"What's up with you?" He asked, apparently blind to her panic.

 

Oof - there's still a chance. "What are you talking about?"

 

"You're blushing. Gross."

 

Or not. He shattered the picture himself. "Verily mature of you, as always. Please, don't talk to me, or someone will think we're friends." Nothing kills the atmosphere like a y attitude.

 

He smirked. "Ouch. You're getting even meaner every day. We should get you some kind of medal for character development."

 

He found great time to argue. Not first time today. "Oh, I love it when you insult me. It's a sign to me that I don't have to be nice to you at all." Joohyun got up from her chair and started to move closer to him. Arguing would let her forget about this humiliating episode in her little brain theater.

 

"Sometimes I forget how much I hate you." Junmyeon spat, also getting up from the desk. As they stood close together, Joohyun couldn't think of anything other than the height difference that was between them. He looked down at her as if he felt he had the upper hand here.

 

"Yeah? Somehow you didn't seem to mind grabbing my in the ball pool like some ert."

 

That knocked him off guard for a moment and a faint blush began to appear on his cheeks. "The ?" He in breath. "First of all, it wasn't your -it was the area around your legs. Which are connected, you would know that if you paid attention in biology." Joohyun just rolled her eyes. "Second, you must have a big ego if you think I'd even want to grab you anywhere for a second out of free will! And your ? Big eye sore if you ask me-"

 

"My lovebirds!" The two CEOs recoiled at the voice of their as usual overly excited therapist. 

 

The first 20 minutes of the visit were silent. Junmyeon and Joohyun sat on opposite sides of the couch with their arms folded. Yixing was already getting cramps from swinging his leg over the other, looking at the two way too jumpy and feisty patients.

 

And I could've been analyzing the soup right now. "Well, how are the moods before the big day approaches?" Yixing asked with a smile.

 

"Great." Junmyeon said flatly, looking at a wall somewhere in the distance, avoiding his gaze. "This midget keeps dragging me around to some side events instead of focusing on the important stuff, but the company's is doing well."

 

Yixing mentally slapped himself. Of course he had expected such an answer. "Now Jun-"

 

Joohyun made her first sound in 20 minutes in the form of a stifled chuckle. "Funny. Last time I checked, promoting a business in the most noble way possible hasn't brought harm to anyone yet. You didn't look bored or offended, so don’t pretend like I did you some insult.”

 

"Guys-"

 

"Me? Offended? Never. I'm just good at picking priorities. You can play Mother Theresa anytime you want. I’d just rather your attention to be on your master revenge plan you so strongly implemented."

 

"Maybe we can talk about something else?”

 

"I have everything under control, no thanks to you, Junmyeon. Focus on yourself, I’ll do the same and we’ll somehow manage.”

 

Yixing gave up and this point and just decide to let them let out some steam. Like always.

 

"Oh, since when did you become so smart, oh wise one?”

 

"Since I’ve stopped listening to you!”

 

"You’re angry because I’m serious about our top performance? You feel insulted by that? What’s next? You’ll slam my hand when I’ll open car door for you?”

 

Joohyun knew he would never do that in a first place. But something else bothered her. Top performance? Was he really that oblivious? Did he really not remember? "You’re a ing …” She said in a soft but sad voice.

 

Yixing ears picked that up immediately. "Mrs. Bae. Would you mind-”

 

"No, Yixing.” Her tone got angry. But not the bickering one. It was more serious. Even Junmyeon started to wonder what cause the sudden change. She turned to him on the couch. Behind her gaze hid the hurt he haven’t seen in a while.

 

"You’ve heard me. You’re an ultimate ! You lecture me about a top performance, berate me for doing something I feel passionate about and then picturing it as a distraction and something horrible. You always say I don’t treat things serious and act immature- especially for case that includes my father's potential murderer!. Then tell me Junmyeon. How much did you think about my so called top performance when you saw me walking to work half dead, with bangs underneath my eyes and you still decided to take away my medication- the only thing I had that let me function?”

 

The grim silence filled the room. The scene was quite unbelievable, shocking really. Yixing froze like every red flag just flashed before his eyes and he wasn’t there to stop it. On the other hand, he couldn’t stop his awe at he level of emotions Joohyun put into her confession that probably bothered her for so long. He felt partially responsible for that. After all, he foolishly thought that someone else would take care of her other than him, her doctor. He looked at the man and it broke his heart, not as a doctor, but as his friend.

 

Junmyeon’s brain was sent reeling, unable to comprehend or process the images it was being sent by his eyes. He was looking at Joohyun, her face twisting, not knowing what to do. He knew she physically forced herself not to cry. His own did he same. Truth to be told, he never once in his life felt this painful tug in his chest. But he knew what that meant. He hurt her. The moment he realised he’s misinterpreted her reactions, her words, her expressions for so long. He could see the pain beneath her eyes. He never wanted to. His fears now stood before him.

 

Joo. But…I’ve only did it because I was worried. It was…hurting you. "Joohyun, I'm so-"

 

Her palm stopped him. "N-no. I don’t wanna listen to your reasoning right know. I-I don’t wanna know if it was you messing with me or some sick sense of guilt made you do it." She rarely felt like an idiot and the fact that she put such topic aside and let herself fantasize about intimate moments with him, made her now feel horrible about herself. Insecure, lonely and tired- that’s how she felt. "But I want you to realize, t-that despite all the bad things we say to each other," Words were really hard to articulate. All this confident went to hell. "I-I…” She saw the way his eyes responded. She saw the shock and panic in them. His head started to shake. She took a deep breath as she felt the tears threatening to fall. "You really let me down. I’m mean to you, you are to me, but we’ve been through so much together, I thought we have each other backs when it matters." She sniffed. "Deep down, I fooled myself that maybe you care. Even just a little bit.”

 

Junmyeon couldn’t listen to that. Seeing her like this was like the funeral again. It broke his heart. 

 

"No! Joo, please, listen to me. I just-" He couldn’t finish his sentence as she stormed out of the room, sniffing sounds left after her. The slam of the door probably woke the entire floor. Junmyeon sunk into the leather couch, throwing his head back, feeling the gaze of equally pained Yixing, who looked equally miserable. Behind closed eyes, Junmyeon saw Baek Ho, looking at him in disapproval. He gave him on job! One! And now, for real this time, Junmyeon felt like a total failure.