Prologue: Where It All Began

1000 Years Always By Your Side

"Beginnings are sudden, but also insidious. They creep up on you sideways, they creep to the shadows, they lurk unrecognized. Then, later, they spring"

~Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

 

The claws of darkness slowly retreated as the sun stirred from its deep slumber. Soon, bright rays seeped through the wide windowpane, casting a rosy, golden glow in a room occupied by two teenage boys.

Just as gradual as the sunrise, they took their time departing from the land of dreams. The older of the two was the first to awaken, eyelashes fluttering open. He idly rubbed sleep from his eyes before turning his body from the window and facing the next bed.  

“Minho-ya, are you awake yet?” Choi Minseok called softly, his natural black hair shooting up in all directions. At fifteen, he was showing signs of a well-adjusted teenager who was confident in his own skin.

An indecipherable response was heard under the thick blue quilt from the other bed, words muffled by the pillow.

“Did you forget what day it is?” Minseok prompted. 

The younger boy tossed and turned in protest. He was having an adventure as a pirate in the high seas. He wished his older brother would let him sleep in peace for a few more minutes. But when the question sank in, he scrambled awake and sat up without preamble. “It’s family day!”

Choi Minho was thirteen, all long limbs and agile countenance. He had an unbelievably handsome face but his most striking feature was his huge, deep-set eyes. 

They have been doing this family outing ever since Minho could remember. It only happens once every year so it is something special. Their dad, a head prosecutor, was rarely ever home. He takes a three-day leave from work just once every year to spend precious time with his family.

This time, they were going to the countryside. Their dad rented a cottage house where they can stay for three days. Minho and his older brother could not contain their excitement since last week. And today, they were finally going on the long-awaited trip. 

Minseok chortled. “Let’s go downstairs. Mom must have prepared breakfast already.”

“Okay, hyung. I’m starving.” Minho agreed, rubbing his grumbling stomach.

They trudged down to the dining area. It was an open plan room where the kitchen island and the living space flanked the cozy set of a table and chairs.

Kang Eunjung was expertly rolling the vegetable omelet on the square-shaped, non-stick pan. Hearing the shuffling pairs of feet, she turned around to greet her two sons. Her cheerful brown eyes shone with undisguised love. “Good morning, boys. Wait just a little. Mom’s almost done.” She pulled out a pearl green ceramic plate from the drawer and placed it on the kitchen island counter, sliding the rolled omelet into the waiting dishware.

When she was cutting the rolled omelet into even slices, a tall man with broad shoulders and easy grin sneaked up behind her, putting his arms around her waist and resting his head on the crook of her shoulder. “Good morning, sweetheart,” Choi Daehyun drawled.

Minseok gave a good-natured snigger. Minho hid his reddening face behind his hands. They could not believe their parents still indulged in lovey-dovey moments right in front of them, but it had been a constant scene when their dad was home.

“Good morning, love. Look at our boys all embarrassed.” Eunjung chuckled softly. She patted Daehyun’s arm on her waist. “Stop distracting me or we won’t be able to have breakfast before we’re out on the road. You know it will be a long trip.”

Daehyun planted a soft kiss on the top of her head before untangling his arms from his wife’s waist. A few minutes later, the two of them were preparing varied side dishes on bowls and plates. 

They worked in quiet harmony. The tall, strong man with a gentle, kind smile and the charming petite woman with love in her eyes. Anybody looking at them would conclude that this is how pure happiness looked like. 

Minho and Minseok watched in contentment as their parents worked side by side. They sighed happily as their mom put the sumptuous breakfast feast in front of them.

This would be a good day.

 

~~~~~

 

Minho could not have been happier. Their family outing was everything he imagined it to be. All thanks to his parents who made sure the trip was as comfortable and exciting as possible. For once, he did not even mind being cooped inside the car for three hours, bickering with Minseok like crazy. But maybe it had to do with how his older brother simply humored him, not daring to awaken his fierce competitiveness.

They were all in high spirits when they reached the pretty bungalow where they will be staying for the night. There was a large front yard where they could set up a tent and have some Korean barbecue.

Minho and Minseok helped their mother put away their groceries and begged to explore around the house right after. The property was set apart from other houses, standing in solitude amidst a nearby forest. There was a hill in the south side of the house with a stone path leading to the top.

“The first who can reach that hill will be the master of the day.”

Minseok grinned at the challenge in Minho’s voice. They have been playing this game ever since they were little kids. It had a simple rule: the winner can boss around the loser. Minho hated losing so much, but Minseok was no pushover either.  

At the count of three, the two of them sprinted to the hills, their shoes pounding heavily on the ground, leaving dust scattered behind. Minho let Minseok take the lead. He was conserving his energy to gain the perfect momentum.

When they reached the small bend near the forest, Minho took his chance. He pumped his legs, gaining speed with each powerful push. Minseok was just a few feet ahead, but Minho ate up the distance in a nanosecond. He kept his breath steady as he shot past his older brother, exerting more effort to keep a decent gap between them.

Minho could feel the adrenaline rushing through his veins as he prepared to climb the hill. His feet flew over stones and grass, each thud bringing him closer to the peak. Three. Two. One.

“I made it!” He managed to declare between gasps. He felt his lungs would explode, but the satisfaction of beating his brother in yet another challenge made him forget all about it.

For his part, Minseok simply gave Minho a congratulatory slap on the back. He was breathing heavily; every muscle was strained from the exertion he put his body through.

They tried catching their breath before collapsing on the soft carpet of grass. The afternoon sun lapped at them even as the gentle blow of the wind soothed their tired limbs.

“You know what, hyung, I’m at the happiest at this very moment,” Minho said after a long stretch of silence.

Minseok’s face brightened when he grinned. “Me, too. I wish we could do this more often. But dad’s job comes first,” he shook his head ruefully. “I don’t resent it. Don’t get me wrong. It would have been cool had he chosen a different profession though, don’t you think?”

After a moment of contemplation, Minho nodded in agreement. “Things would have been different. I’m still proud of dad. Catching the bad guys sounds pretty cool in my book.”

“Do you want to follow dad’s footsteps when you grow up?”

“Sure! I think I’d be good at it,” he said it with a cheeky grin. “How about you, hyung?”

Minseok took his time answering. He was proud of his father too, but his heart was leaning toward something less complicated. He did not think he would be fit to be a prosecutor. “I’m thinking about writing.”

“Oh, you mean like, write a book? That would be cool too!” Minho knew how much his brother loves reading. It was rare to find Minseok without a book in his hand. 

“Do you think dad would not mind?”

“Of course not! He and mom will support whatever you’d want to be.” Minho spoke with the confidence of a child who knows he is loved. 

Minseok reflected that self-assurance when he grinned. “Of course they would.”

Later on, when they made their way down the hill, Minho forgot the challenge he won. Maybe he would ask his brother to pay for it later. Maybe not. All he knew was that his heart was full. He was living his best life with his father, mother, and brother. 

 

~~~~~

 

Nighttime did not come as gradually as the sunrise. Maybe it was because their family was having so much fun. The hours melted into minutes. Daehyun set up the barbecue stand in the yard with the help of Minho. Minseok assisted his mother in preparing the samgyupsal and kalbi meat they would be grilling. They all worked as a team.

“Eat up, Minho-yah.” His mother prodded when Minho leaned back and rubbed his belly. “There’s more kalbi. Here.” She proceeded to pile more meat on his plate. She did the same for Minseok.

Minho groaned in protest while Minseok started devouring the food as soon as it touched his plate.

“Nothing makes your mother happier than seeing her boys eat heartily.” Their father said with a chuckle. “I work hard to make that happen.”

Eunjung reached out for her husband’s hand, giving it a tight squeeze. “And I’m grateful for that. Our boys have grown up, love.”

“They did. It makes you feel old, doesn’t it?” Daehyun looked at his sons with pride in his eyes. His wife smiled while watching her favorite men.

That tender moment did not last long. Daehyun’s phone rang so loud, breaking the comfortable silence. 

Eunjung looked at Daehyun with a frown. A phone call during off duty hours meant an urgent matter. There could be an emergency that required her husband’s attention. It had certainly happened before, so while this would disappoint her and the boys, she was not deeply concerned.

Daehyun signaled that he would take the call. Minho and Minseok watched their father walk to the house to get some privacy.

Choi Daehyun lived by several rules in their household – one of them was not taking his work home. He never talked about his cases when they were together as family although he shared them with his wife. Daehyun and Eunjung never kept secrets from each other, but they never talked about them in front of the boys.

“Don’t worry about it, guys. Your dad would take care of the matter in a few minutes,” Eunjung injected optimism into her voice.

When Daehyun went back to them, Eunjung instantly noticed something amiss. Her husband’s face was emotionless but his eyes looked haunted. She stood up and went to his side, taking his hand into hers and discovering how cold and clammy it was. Her heart pounded against her chest. “What is it?” She whispered.

Daehyun shook his head. The boys were listening and they could easily pick up when he and Eunjung were worried. He clamped down the dread that rose in his throat. “Boys, it’s time to call it a night. Help your mom deal with the dirty dishes. I’ll clean up the yard.”

Minho could tell there was something odd going on but he could not pinpoint what it was exactly. He shot his brother a questioning gaze but Minseok simply shrugged and started gathering the empty dishes. He and his older brother would talk about this in their room, Minho was sure of it. Placated, he began helping Minseok, piling the plates they used for the meat.

The brothers walked back to the house together, armed with plates and cups. They deposited everything in the dishwasher. Their mother entered the kitchen a few minutes later, shooing them away so she could wash the dishes.

“Go to bed now, boys. We’re going to the beach tomorrow, remember?” She smiled a smile that did not quite reach her eyes. 

Minho and Minseok bid her good night. They were too full of questions but they knew their parents would not tell them if it had to do with their father’s job. In their room, the two boys washed up and brushed their teeth. They then huddled on the wide bed together, gathering their knees to their chests and resting their heads on top of their crossed arms. They are trying to listen to their parents’ footsteps, straining their ears to hear a hint of conversation.

The house was silent so Minho knew their mother and father were outside, probably discussing the problem out of their earshot. “Do you think it’s something serious?” He broke the silence.

“I have a feeling it is, seeing how worried dad looked. I’ve never seen him that agitated before.”

“Are we going to be okay, hyung?”

Minseok threw his arm around Minho’s shoulder, a gesture of protection. “Of course we will. Dad can take care of anything. He’s the superman.”

Minho believed Minseok. After all, their dad never failed them. He always came home safe. He always made them feel safe. 

He did not know when he fell asleep, but he was awoken by a loud bang. He thought it was thunder when he looked out of the window and glimpsed the bright streak of lightning. Minho was about to shrug it off when he heard another series of explosions, splitting the still summer air. This time he was sure. The sounds were gunshots.

Sitting up, he fumbled with the bedside lamp. He was about to turn it on when a horrified scream reached his ears. A shiver ran through his spine, causing his heart rate to accelerate. He knew whose voice it was.

Dread, the kind he never felt before, filled his whole being. Trembling, he turned towards Minseok, wanting to wake him up. His stomach plummeted to the ground when he found his brother’s spot empty. His pillow showed signs of being slept on while the white blanket pooled at the end of their bed as if Minseok shed it off in haste.

Disregarding the fear clawing through his chest, he jumped off the bed and bolted to the door. The hallway was dark and empty. He did not dare turn on the lights. The night smelled like danger and he did not want to alert anyone to his presence. 

The front door was ajar but Minho knew it would be foolish to run into uncertainty through it. His mother’s screams came from the front yard. Whoever the intruders were, they must keep an eye to the entrance of the house. 

As quietly as he could, Minho sneaked out through the kitchen door. He would try to find his way into the side of the house, guided by the light from the nearby lamp post. Earlier, he noticed some kind of a shrub lining the side of the house, adjacent to the spot where they had barbecue. No one would notice him if he was careful not to make a sound.

Although he wanted to run the short distance to the shrubs so he could see his mom, he steeled himself to take it slow. Left foot, right foot. His cautious steps brought him closer and closer to the side of the house. Crouching low into the shrub, he tried to take a peek. 

Another loud gunshot. Another agonized scream.

What he heard could not have prepared him for the terror that gripped his chest, slamming his heart into his throat.

In the yard where they had their barbecue dinner stood a group of men with black masks on their faces. They were big and bulky. There was something about their stance that spelled menace. He shuddered as one of them looked into his direction. Hidden behind the leaf of a huge outdoor plant, Minho did everything he could not to tremble.

But his mind went blank when his eyes fell on the figure on the ground. He could make out Minseok’s unconscious form. Beside him, his mother was kneeling, sobbing and screaming.  

Minho tried to make out the words tumbling out of his mother’s mouth. She was saying Minseok’s name over and over again. 

What is going on? His young mind screamed in panic. 

He could feel his pulse beating in his ears, blocking out all sounds. Blocking out all thoughts. His mind refused to acknowledge the dawning realization.

When one of the men raised his gun and trained it on his sobbing mother, a scream escaped his lips. At the same time, a hand clamped on his mouth and lightning pierced the darkness, followed by the rumbling sound of thunder. As if on cue, the sky opened up to pour a heavy torrential rain. The sound of which drowned out his tormented cry.

Soaked and shivering, Minho struggled against the person gripping his shoulders tightly, holding him back from darting out of his hideout to run to his mom. He was forcibly hauled into the back of the house, even as he kicked with all his might. 

“M-Minho-yah.” His father’s strangled voice barely registered in his mind but the worst of the panic diminished when he recognized it. “Minho-ya.” More urgently this time. Minho was forced to look up to his father who was still gripping his shoulders painfully. He swallowed a gasp when he managed to get a glimpse of his father’s face. Daehyun had swollen eyes, a cut lip, and a bleeding eyebrow. Minho saw the dark liquid trailing down from the side of his head, creating a path to his neck, soaking his collar just as surely as the rain did. 

“Minho-ya, listen. I tried to lure those men away from the house, away from your mom and brother who woke up from the noise. I thought those cretins would follow me and it would keep all of you safe. I thought I could still go back to save your mom and Minseok. I’m sorry I failed, Minho-yah.” The anguish on his face was too much for Minho to bear but he did not avert his eyes from his father’s gaze even for a second. “So please, listen to me.” He looked at Minho with pleading eyes. “You have to go. You have to run away as fast as you can. As far as you can.” 

“N-no.” Minho protested weakly, shaking his head in protest. In denial. In pain. “No, dad. I can’t leave you. Minseok h-hyung,” his voice broke. “M-mom. They need our help.” 

“We have no time. Trust me, Minho-yah.” His father’s voice became firm and insistent. “Save yourself.” He rummaged through the pocket of his favorite black jacket and as he took out a brown envelope, Minho saw his bleeding side, blood seeping through the fabric of his white shirt. 

The child’s eyes grew wide in shock. He opened his mouth but no words came out. It was only now that he noticed how pale his father’s face was, how his split lips looked bloodless. “Here,” his father panted, shoving the bulky brown envelope into Minho’s trembling hands. “No time to argue now. Run, Minho. Run into the dark and never look back.”

Minho stood rooted to the spot. His knees were in danger of giving out under him. He wanted to wake up from this nightmare.

He looked up into the sky before closing his eyes tightly, letting the rain beat down on him like a punishment. Minseok should shake him awake. Anytime now, he would hear his brother’s voice. Minseok would tell him it was just a bad dream. Everything is okay. Everything will be okay.

“Please, Minho-yah.” His father grasped his hand. “Don’t let this night bury us all here. You have to survive so you would know what happened. Why this had to happen. And when you finally know, someday, you could hunt down the man who did all of this to us. Do you understand me, son? Run and live.”  

His father pulled him into a hug before pushing him into the direction of the back gate. The terror of what he witnessed was still fresh in Minho's mind but his father’s voice echoed back.

Run and live. Run and live. Run and live.

He turned around one last time to look at his father who was slowly making his way into the side of the house, inching into the direction of the front yard. Despair engulfed his whole being before he turned away. 

They had their backs from each other now. Father and son. The older man was facing his tormentors and meeting his fate, creating a diversion so Minho could make his escape. The young boy was running away from the worst nightmare of his life.

The pitch black surroundings gaped at Minho, but he ran, just as he did with Minseok that afternoon. This time, no fun challenge compelled him to. 

He ran like mad, his breath sharp and frantic. In his hands was the brown envelope. He was clutching it tightly to his chest, as if it was his lifeline. The rain poured on him with no mercy, lashing against his face and mingling with the tears. His legs were shaking but still he pushed on. 

Before long, darkness swallowed him whole. And far behind him, the vacation house lit up with a sudden explosion.

The contrast was striking.