goodnight n go

goodnight n go

When people think of New York City, they automatically expect luxury, all those blinding lights and big dreams. For Irene, that's her life because she's a respected fashion designer who earns six digits per month. However, she's not completely happy with whatever's going on with her life. People would die to get into her position, but she doesn't understand why. Why? It's because she feels like she's missing out on a lot of things, especially the goodness of living a simple life. With her, everything's fast-paced and she barely has any time to spare for the people she loves, even for herself. Why would they be jealous of that? All she wants is a breather from all the stress she gets from her everyday life.

 

On the other side of New York City, Wendy lives the normal life. She's not rich, but she's not really poor either. She's just a regular citizen who tries to make it through the day by manning her father's deli grocery store and managing the bnb units in their home building. She doesn't earn much, but it's enough for her day to day expenses. For her, it would be really nice if she could have the same opportunity others have, she wants to be able to do more and have more than what she has today but she struggles to do what she wants because of the lack of support she gets from her family. 

 

At exactly ten in the morning, Irene went out of her home to take a stroll. Central Park is her go-to place to read a book, it's near her apartment building and it feels nice to connect with nature once in a while even though it's in the middle of a city. She sat down on one of the benches and flipped to the page where she left her bookmark the last time she read it. While reading, she felt a little frustrated because she couldn't follow the storyline anymore. Had it been that long?

 

Meanwhile, Wendy was taking pictures with her disposable camera and hanging out with some friends in the same place. She's taken the day off since her sister came in to help in the store and her father was there too. When she noticed the presence of the beautiful girl, she couldn't take her eyes off of her so she was pushed by her peers to go and talk to her and maybe, just maybe she could score a date with the lovely woman. She cleared and the busy girl looked up to her, "Hi, how are you?"

"Good, thanks. And yourself?"

"I'm doing well, thanks. May I sit here?"

"You don't really need to ask permission." She smiled and closed her book, "Are you new here?"

"No. I asked even though I know I don't have to because I wanted to start a conversation with you." She sat down and kept away the camera in her small crossbody bag. "It worked, right?"

"Do you need anything from me then?"

"Should I be blunt and say I want your number or should I keep it innocent?"

The girl shook her head and chuckled, "Sorry, I don't really date and...I only give my number to people who are interested to do business with me."

"I want to do business with you then."

"Oh yeah? What can your company offer? What qualities do you have that others don't?" She quirked her eyebrow, anticipating the other's answer.

"See, if we're going to be business partners, don't you think we should know each other's name first? You know...just in case you try to scam me."

Irene laughed and put away her book, "You're the one who approached me first and you think I'm going to scam you? You're...unbelievable."

Wendy giggled and moved closer, "Fine. Let's just skip the bull because we both know I'm not here for business. I know I’m not as fancy as you and we come from two different worlds, but just...give me a chance and let me take you out, pretty lady."

"I told you, I don't date. And for the record, it’s not because you’re “not as fancy as me”, I have other...personal reasons. You should go and try to ask other people, preferably someone your age. Maybe you’ll get lucky."

"Oh come on." She rolled her eyes, "You look lonely sitting here by yourself while trying to read a book that's obviously boring—judging from your expressions earlier, and I'm a great company. I'm very fun to hang out with—according to my friends, and would you rather let another day pass without doing anything fun instead of hanging out with a cool person like me? I'm pretty sure you're one of those people who rarely gets a break."

"I don't know, kid. I—"

"We don't even have to go anywhere secluded if that would make you more comfortable or do anything out of the ordinary, we're just...going to grab a bite or whatever and we're done. The minute I do something you don't like, you're free to leave. It's going to be fun with me, I promise." She held out her hand and smiled.

“I don’t think your idea of fun is the same as mine...” Wendy still didn’t budge and waited for her hand. They had a little staring contest and her composure's breaking little by little, she's thirty years old and a cocky kid's trying to win her over and she knows she's falling for her words because she's a very convincing person...or maybe she's just really gullible and this kid's really entertaining. Before she took the other's hand, she made sure she's not going to get in trouble. "Are you even legal to "date" a thirty year old person?"

"Yes, ma'am." Irene skeptically took her hand and followed the lead of the younger who's dragging her away from the bench. "I'm turning eighteen tomorrow."

"You're what?!" She stopped in her tracks and Wendy laughed. "Jesus. You're not even old enough to buy a beer. I should go, I don't want to go to jail—"

"Relax mama, I'm kidding. I'm actually turning twenty one next week. Right now I’m still not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to take you out." They continued walking and turned to the sidewalk. "By the way, I'm Wendy. What's your name?"

"Irene...I'm going to be honest, this is a little weird. I can't believe I said yes to this."

"Well, you should now because this is the day your life's 'bout to change."

 

The two went on a stroll, Wendy doesn't really have any plan where to go since it's a spontaneous date, and even though she appears to be confident, she's already ting her pants because she didn't think Irene would actually accept her invitation. Irene on the other hand was just enjoying the stroll, it felt real nice to be with someone and have a conversation that's not about work and all the stressful things she's dealing with everyday. 

 

While walking, Wendy’s stomach growled and luckily, she spotted a hotdog stand but there’s one problem and that’s the girl she’s with at the moment. She stole a glance at Irene who’s looking all preppy, and expensive and high-maintenance. Naturally, she felt uncomfortable and embarrassed just by thinking about how the girl would react if she buys her cheap food, she thought she'll probably ditch her if she tries to feed her that. Instead of stopping, she skipped the food cart to go somewhere a little expensive that's on her budget, but to her surprise Irene pulled the hem of her flannel shirt.

“I’m hungry.” 

“There’s a fancy café that’s like less than a mile away from here.” She pulled her hand, but the older one didn’t budge.

“I want to eat here though.” 

“But...isn’t this like...cheap and not your style? You’d really eat something like this?”

Irene giggled and pulled out her wallet that probably costs the same as Wendy's whole month worth of salary, “I don't think I'm the fancy one between us.” Wendy quickly pulled out a couple bills from her pocket and handed it to the vendor.

“Can I get two hotdogs and two lemonades please? Thanks.” The man took her money and prepared the food. She then took out her camera from her bag, "Do you mind if I take pictures?"

“Not at all...you should’ve let me pay, it's like fifteen bucks."

"It would make me feel like a loser." She smiled and tucked the hair behind the older one's ear. "I don't know why, but you're making me feel nervous."

"You're making me nervous too, I've never gone out with a person that's ten years younger than me before, let alone a complete stranger whom I just met randomly in Central Park." They took the hotdogs from the vendor and started eating. "Are you sure you're over eighteen?"

"Are you sure you're old? Because you look like a ten to me." 

She laughed and Wendy couldn't suppress her smile hearing how beautiful it was, "Very smooth, kid, very smooth."

 

After eating the not so healthy meal, the two walked hand in hand going towards the subway station. Irene doesn't have any idea where Wendy's taking her, but she chose to follow and trust the younger one. It's probably a bad idea letting a stranger drag her everywhere around the city and not the safest decision she's ever made in a while, but the younger one promised they wouldn't go anywhere secluded. She stole a quick glance at her while they're waiting for the train and she wasn't sure if it's the heat from the subway or the way Wendy tightly holds her hand that's making her cheeks go red. 

She cleared to get rid of her weird feeling, "Where are you taking me?"

"We're taking the ferry to Staten Island." They stepped inside the train and Wendy offered the vacant seat to her, but she refused. "You should take a seat, our day's only starting and you don't want to waste energy because we have lots of places to go."

"So you think I'm that old, huh? You think I can't handle walking all day?" She sat and amusingly quirked her eyebrow.

"T-that's not what I'm trying to say, I just wanted to be nice and I want you to be comfortable. I didn't mean to--"

"I'm just messing with you." She bit her lip and held back her giggle so Wendy rolled her eyes and shook her head. Irene fished out her phone from her pocket and took a photo of the younger one. "Look at you being pouty and acting like a big baby."

"Hey delete that. And I’m not a baby, I’m an adult so treat me like one." She tried to take it but Irene locked her phone quickly.

“You’re so cute.” The younger blushed at her statement. “I caught you taking pictures of me with your camera earlier so now we're even."

“My pictures are for...art purposes and yours are just for teasing me, we are not the same.” She sat down next to her when a passenger stood up to leave. Irene yawned and then leaned on her shoulder.

“Am I boring?"

"No, I'm just a little sleepy. I stayed up until midnight because I was scribbling some designs for the winter collection I'm working on. My mind was flooding me with lots of ideas and I couldn't just ignore it, you know?" Wendy placed her arm around her and held her left arm so she wouldn't wobble. The older one looked up to her with a smug but tired smile, "I should thank your parents for raising such a nice kid like you."

"That's very admirable of you, but if you call me a kid one more time I swear I'll let you fall over."

"You wouldn't, because disappointing me and breaking my trust would be the last thing you'd do right now, but if in case I misjudged your character and you actually let me fall, then it's fine with me. I've had my fair share of embarrassing moments and falling over on the floor of a train is nothing compared to those moments." She yawned again and fell asleep after, Wendy held her tighter on her chest and amusingly smiled at the woman because she was absolutely right, she would never do anything bad and let a chance like this slip and waste away. 

 

Wendy woke the sleeping woman up when they reached the desired station, she took the hand of the other and interlocked their fingers as they climbed the stairs. They walked a few meters to get to the ferry terminal and strode along with the swarm of people getting in too to board the ship. They almost got separated when a passenger passed by between them, but thankfully, Wendy was quick to wrap her arm around Irene's waist. She guided her through the passageway and pulled her towards the back part of the ferry to catch the beautiful skyline view of New York City and the mesmerizing Statue of Liberty.

“You know, I've been living here since I was three, but this view would always wow me. Every time I come here, it will always feel like it’s the first time. Beautiful, isn't it?” She climbed a level up on the railings and looked around.

“Yeah.” She put her hand up to feel the breeze. “It’s been a while since I rode the ferry.”

“Oh yeah? Why? It’s literally free.”

She looked down and let out a sad smile. “Work.”

“Oh right, I almost forgot you’re stinking rich who has the dream job of a lot of people.”

“I like what I do, but I don’t think it’s a “dream” job.”

“Why’s that? I’m guessing your job pays you big enough to afford an apartment in Manhattan, the way that you are screams expensive and you just paid for an unlimited 7-day pass on my metrocard like what the heck? Even my long-time friends wouldn’t do that in an ordinary day. Tell me why would anyone not like what you do.”

“Don’t get me wrong, kid. I love the whole idea of it, but I’m just not totally happy with it because there's something missing. You get what I mean?”

“Privileged.” She teased and Irene punched her arm. "You should come here when you’re free—to take your mind off of things. I always go here whenever I’m dealing with a problem or feeling really frustrated.”

“Care to share?”

"I don't know...life just hits you hard sometimes--scratch that, a lot of times. I often feel displeased and uncontented with whatever I'm doing with my life and sometimes my family just doesn't understand that I don't want to work in our deli grocery for the rest of my life, I'm not saying it's bad because my father worked hard to build his own business, but it just that they're my family and they don't even care about my dreams. I love them, but they're so--difficult to deal with. Honestly I envy you, you have a high-paying job, you live alone in your apartment and you have your creative freedom whatever without anybody telling you because you're the boss and you're in-charge to do and say whatever you want. I wanna be thirty, flirty and thriving too."

"You did not just referenced 13 going on 30." Irene pulled her down from the railings while giggling and clutched to the younger's arm like a koala, "It's not always fun being thirty and doing things alone, it sometimes feel empty and celebrating success by yourself is just sad. Even if your family's annoying, you should still be grateful because you have them. Your loved ones are close to you, unlike mine. It gets lonely and I'm someone who likes being around warm people who love and support me."

She nodded and bit her lip. "I understand. Can I ask you something?" 

"You're already asking a question, but go on then, shoot."

“You're such a boomer." She laughed and faced the older one with an uneasy feeling, "Are you...enjoying yourself right now? You know--hanging out with someone like me because I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. You, being someone who's clearly olde--experienced and out of my league, ain't exactly helping my confidence with this...date or whatever. Earlier I gave an impression that I'm a confident gay, but right now my unconfident baby gay side is showing."

"Is it because I keep calling you "kid" and making it seem like I'm not taking you seriously? I'll stop then, I'm sorry. Also, stop saying I'm way out of your league because I'm not. Quit worrying because I'm enjoying this date so far and you're doing an excellent job as my human pillow." Irene patted her head and the other smiled at her like a kid.

"That's...great to hear then."

 

Twenty five minutes were up and they reached the St. George Ferry Terminal. Wendy took her hand and quickly dragged her off the ferry to board the next one that's going back to Manhattan. Irene was a little surprised, she expected that they would stay in Staten Island for a while to take pictures and hang, but the quirky younger one has other plans in mind.  Instead of staying at the back, this time Wendy took her to the front side of the ferry and stayed at the left part.

“Can I take a picture of you?"

She stood next to the railings and felt a little shy because of the young girls looking at her and Wendy--mostly the latter. The other was about to press the shutter button when she looked away, "Can we just do this later?"

"No, the view looks perfect from here, the skyline behind you too." She raised her voice so everyone could hear and Irene laughed, she held her hair to keep them from touching her face.

"You're embarrassing." She snapped a photo and turned the film.

"I'll embarrass myself if it means making you smile. You're so beautiful." 

"I look old."

"No you don't, and even if you are, I still would've approached and talked to you back in Central Park. And you'd still look way better than the whole population of New York City." Her eyes gleamed as she said it with so much admiration and Irene couldn't help but blush. "Close your eyes." She followed her and closed her eyes. Wendy turned her around so she would face the skyline. 

"Are you planning to re-enact Titanic with me right now? I don't think it's a good idea since Jack and Rose's ending isn't exactly romantic and we're literally in the middle of the bay." 

"Jesus, can you just let me be cheesy? I just re-watched it a week ago and...I didn't expect my Rose to come so soon."

Irene shook her head and chuckled while spreading her arms like she wants the wind to embrace her, "I'm flying, Wendy."

She carefully placed her hands over hers and propped her chin in her right shoulder. "If you were my girlfriend, I'd kiss you, but for now I'll just sing for you."

You're just too good to be true
Can't take my eyes off of you
You'd be like heaven to touch
I wanna hold you so much
At long last, love has arrived
And I thank God I'm alive
You're just too good to be true
Can't take my eyes off of you

Irene's heart fluttered as she watched Wendy sing to her with so much passion and feeling, she let out the big smile she's been trying to suppress and took her hands so she would wrap them around her waist. They looked so lovely and cheesy that people started noticing them and indirectly say nice things. She thought, of all the people she went on a date with, Wendy has been the only one who managed to make riding a public ferry romantic and enjoyable. 

 

When they got out of the terminal, they then went to catch the subway going to Court Street station so they could ride the bus stopping near Brooklyn Bridge. It's already almost two in the afternoon when they got there so there's a lot of tourists and locals walking around and taking pictures. There were also cyclists and vendors around so the place got a bit more crowded. Wendy offered her hand and Irene gladly took it, as they were getting close halfway through the bridge, the older one's grip grew tighter and tighter.

"It's cold, sorry."

"Do you want to go back and just take a cab or book an Uber?" A hint of worry was etched on her face, so Irene shook her head and gave a reassuring smile.

"No, what do you think of me? A weak old person who can't handle the cold?" She enthusiastically pulled her and Wendy just giggled at her childlike behavior. They stopped midway so they could take a photo. 

"Go over there, the angle's really nice."

"You've taken a lot of solos of me, can we take a picture together this time?"

"I look like a hobo compared to you, I'm only gonna mess up the pictures so, no thank you."

Irene still clutched to her arm and prompted her to take out the camera inside her bag, the younger one just sighed and did what she's being asked. Before she took the photo on her camera, Irene took out her phone and snapped a picture of them. "Nuh uh, this ain't gonna work if you're looking all glum and awkward. Come on, give me that charming smile of yours." She snapped another one and furrowed her eyebrows, "Now this looks forced. You're so annoying."  Wendy laughed and took her phone, she leaned on her head and finally snapped a decent picture of them. "Aww we look cute here. See? When you're not being annoying we look good together."

"Ooh that sounds nice, we look good together." She smirked and the older one blushed while looking directly in her eyes. She quickly took a picture of them and Irene came to her senses when she heard the turning of the film.

"What the--god I hate film cameras, I probably look like an idiot in that."

"You'll always look good to me." She walked ahead and beckoned for her to come. "Let's go mama, we have two more places to go."

 

When they finished walking on the bridge, they walked and went to a nearby subway station again to go to Times Square. While waiting for the train, there was a man busking behind them. The sound of saxophone being played filled the space and Irene couldn't help but look at the musician and listen to the y tune he's playing. She only noticed Wendy leaving her side when she saw her approach the man and say something to him she couldn't hear. He smiled and nodded and went back to playing a cover of Put Your Head On My Shoulder.

The younger walked back to her with a wide grin and held out her hand, "May I have this dance, pretty lady?"

Irene giggled and gladly took her hand, she led her near the busker and placed her hands where they should belong and the older one did the same. Some people looked at them strangely, but some were grinning and watching them being cheesy and silly in the middle of the warm subway station. They looked at each other's eyes with coyness behind them and wore big smiles that indicates how happy they are dancing to a classic song together. "I've never done this." She rested her head on Wendy's chest and the other tilted hers so her cheek would be on top of Irene's head.

"Me too." The older one listened to her heartbeat and melted in the warm embrace of the younger, they stayed like that for a few more and missed the train they were supposed to hop on and surprisingly it was okay, they didn't mind because in that moment being in other's arms felt more important. The only time they broke off was when the busker cleared his throat and indirectly asked for the payment. Wendy rolled her eyes at him as she gave the money and he laughed as he kept the bill on his pocket. "Thanks, man. I appreciate it."

 

When they reached Times Square, they looked up to see the billboards and flashing lights. There were street performers around, locals who were just there to hang and appreciate the view and tourists who couldn't get enough taking pictures of the famous place. After taking a picture, Wendy pulled her to where the red stairs were located and luckily there was an open spot for two so they sat and rested there for a minute.

"The Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge, and now Times Square. I'm sensing a pattern here."

Wendy rolled the film, "Oh yeah? Tell me your best guess."

"You're bringing me to...see iconic places found in New York?"

"You're right, but you're missing a little more." She faced her and looked at her through the viewfinder of the camera. "I'm bringing you to iconic places so we could act like we're tourists."

Irene laughed and leaned on her shoulder, "You're so silly, I've never been on a date like this."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No, it's actually refreshing. I'm having fun and it's been a while since I sat down here and...appreciated the noise and liveliness of the city. It's always the same thing for me everyday and sometimes I forget and fail to notice how much I love it here. So, thank you, Wendy."

"No, thank you. If it weren't for you I wouldn't totally enjoy this day. I was just in Central Park to take pictures, but thank god you were such a pushover that I managed to convince you to come and let me drag you around the city." She pinched her side and Wendy laughed, "I'm kidding! You're not a pushover...maybe just a little bit." She stuck out her tongue and Irene scrunched her nose.

"We should eat, it's been hours since our last meal."

She looked at her watch and felt her soul leave her body, "Oh no, I didn't realize it's already past five. You must be hungry already, I'm so sorry." 

"Don't be, I think we were both so invested in a lot of things that hours felt like minutes and minutes felt like seconds. They said...you lose track of time when you're happy." She bit her lip in embarrassment because of what she just said and Wendy looked at her with a -eating grin on her face.

"If you say things like that, I'll assume you'd be down for a second date and a third and fourth and so on."

"Maybe...for you I think I'll be "down"."

The younger one playfully scoffed and stood up, "Liar." She offered her hand and the other took it. "It's the hunger talking, we should really go eat." Irene felt a little bothered by what she just said, but she thought she's not completely wrong that meeting up again wouldn't be possible after the day's over. After all, their fantasy would end once they separate ways later and they'd go back to their own versions of reality.

 

They went to a bistro nearby and spent an hour and a half eating and talking about random things in life. Irene haven't had a good laugh in a while and Wendy's been doing a great job of making her happy and distracted from her negative thoughts creeping in the back of her mind. The young one was very charming and funny and she brings out the childish and immature side of the older one that she had overcome a long time ago, and on the other hand, Wendy gets insights and different persepectives over things and she felt delighted being treated like a real adult. They're a perfect match indeed. After eating, Wendy called the server and asked for the check. She was about to pull out bills from her pocket, but Irene stopped her midway and offered to pay for their meal. 

"I got this."

"No, let me pay." Wendy insisted but Irene already placed her credit card on the check book.

"You paid for our meal earlier so it's my turn now, and I was the one who dragged you here to eat, I'll feel like a total jerk if I made you pay." She caressed the back of the young one's hand reassuringly. 

"Fine, you win. We have one last place to go and I'm going to pay, okay? I don't want to hear any complains."

When the server went back to give the card and receipt, they stood up from their seats and got out of the bistro. The two walked hand in hand and stole curious glances at each other, but none of them dared to open their mouth and speak. It's as if no words weren't needed to say that they don't want the day to end and that they liked each other's company--too much that they don't want to let go anymore and wake up from this perfect dream. 

 

Wendy let go of her hand suddenly and she felt her heart stop for a moment, "Stay here, I'm going to buy tickets." She her cheek with her thumb and coyly smiled. Irene nodded and looked up to see the most iconic building in the whole New York City. It's been a while since she last visited the Empire State Building and going up there at night's a great idea since it'd be really cool to see the whole city being illuminated by millions of lights. After a few minutes of waiting, the younger one came back and held her hand again. "Let's go?"

It was a little annoying how long the lines are going up to the observatory, but instead of getting antsy and impatient, they just enjoyed the little time remaining on their date. "This is taking too long, if I don't see freaking King Kong climbing to the top later I'm gonna have to make a refund."

Irene leaned on her shoulder and loved how warm the young one is, "Be patient, you young people are always on a hurry on everything."

Wendy placed her arm around her and her shoulder, "I guess we're all just in a hurry to be in a place where everything's smooth sailing. We're tired of struggling, you know?"

"Twenty, thirty, fifty, eighty, no matter what age there's always a struggle, a problem you'll deal with that might break your spirit. I've been to your place and let me tell you, if I could say something to my younger self, I'd say take your time and breathe while chasing your dreams. Your time will come, so there's no need to do everything in haste." The line moved and they entered the elevator along with other tourists and locals. 

"It's funny how you're telling me to to take my time and breathe when you're the one who rarely has any time to take a break."

"Stop calling me out! You know what I mean."

Wendy laughed and shook her head, "Adulting really is complicated, huh."

 

"Ah ." She grumbled as she examined her film camera. "I'm out of shots."

"Use your phone then." 

She shook her head while giggling and kept the camera on her bag, "Haven't you noticed? I didn't bring my phone today."

"Oh you're right, why's that?" Irene stood by the concrete and admired the view.

"I'm just not really fond of using it and original plan was to take pictures in Central Park, go over to Koreatown with my friends to eat K-Bbq and then go home. But luckily, a very beautiful lady who was sitting alone and reading a boring book caught my attention and the rest is history." She smirked and the older one took her arm and placed it around her shoulder. 

"Well that's a first, I haven't encountered a person who's in their 20's that's not obsessed with their phone." 

"I have nothing against it, I just like doing other stuff that doesn't require a phone. What about you? What were your real plans before you asked me out on a date?"

Irene scoffed and playfully hit her stomach, "Really?! I was the one who asked you out?!" They laughed and walked ahead to get to see the other side of the city. "My plan was to read the boring book and go back to my apartment. You were right about me having rare breaks, so I guess...I'm thankful a cocky and cute photographer came up to me and scammed me into going on a very lovely date with her."

"That made me feel a hundred times better, I was scared you'll ditch me because I'm such a boring person and I couldn't afford bringing you to an expensive restaurant or whatever." 

"What we did today was much more fun than all of the dates I've gone to before. I mean come on, I didn't expect to be re-enacting Titanic in the ferry, the almost two hours of walking the Brooklyn Bridge because you couldn't get the right angle while taking pictures, dancing like we're in a prom in the subway and just overall acting like tourists, plus the part I've really enjoyed is our...conversations. You make me laugh so much too and I feel like all my problems have disappeared into thin air."

Wendy couldn't hide her smile and hid her face on Irene's nape, "I might climb up on top of here and bang on my chest because you're making my heart race, woman."

She giggled and turned around to face her, "That's very King Kong-y of you, but I'm not gonna act like Ann Darrow and climb there with you."

She rolled her eyes and cupped her face gently, "Alicia Keys was right, New York's a concrete jungle where dreams are made of because you're such a dream to me. I wouldn't mind sleeping in a city that doesn't sleep, if it means I'll be waking up next to you."

"That's...very charming, King Kong." Irene kissed her cheek and quickly turned so she wouldn't see her face. Before the younger could react, she pulled her hand so they could go back in and ride the elevator down the building. When they walked out of the exit, they were welcomed by the streets filled with loud chatters, impatient beeping of the car horns and music from street performers trying to attract tourists. Before Wendy could say something, Irene shut her up by taking her hand and gripping it tightly. "Do you mind taking me home? I'm...really sleepy and I might miss my stop." Lame excuse, she thought, she doesn't even take the bus home because she always takes a cab or book an Uber or Lyft.

The younger smiled and the back of her hand with her thumb, "Not at all."

 

The bus ride was pleasantly quiet, Wendy placed her arm around Irene's shoulder and the latter closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep on her chest. Some people would say she's crazy for inviting a stranger to her home, but she didn't want them to separate right away. She wants more of the younger one's time and she's not ashamed to ask for it. Her warmth, sincerity and the way she makes her feel better about everything, Irene wouldn't want to say goodbye to any of it anytime soon. When they were near 84th street, Wendy tapped her arm to wake her up. They got off the bus and instead of saying goodbye to each other, Irene tried to make an excuse again.

"Are you still free? I kind of need a hand with something back in my apartment."

Wendy couldn't help but giggle at the term, "That didn't sound right to me, but yes, I'm still free."

Irene rolled her eyes and scoffed, "You're such a child. Come, my apartment's at 86th."

 

They went inside Irene's apartment and Wendy wandered her eyes around the place, the space was really big and neat and everything was black, white and gray with an accent of brown for the flooring. The furniture and household items scream boujee and the view was outstanding. It's everything that she wanted and she won't deny that she felt a little jealous and inferior towards the older girl. She took off her bag and placed it neatly on the counter, while Irene gave her slippers.

"So, what do you need me for?"

"Go sit on the couch, I'll be right back." Wendy did what she was told and quietly observed the living room. She saw a picture frame hanging beside the TV and it seemed like it's Irene's family portrait. She got startled when the older placed a wine bottle and two glasses on the table. 

"You needed a drinking buddy?"

"I was supposed to ask for your opinion in the clothes I'm designing, but I guess my secretary didn't inform me she went here to get my book where I keep my sketches." She said it so smoothly that it became unconvincing to Wendy.

"Just how many times did you rehearse that line?" She laughed and leaned back on the couch as Irene poured the red liquid on the glasses.

"Am I that bad in acting?" 

"You should probably stay away from being an actor and stick to being a fashion designer." They clinked glasses and sipped the strong, but smooth drink. "I was right earlier, you're a scammer. You made me believe you needed help with something important and now you're making me drink with you."

"You're free to leave if you don't like this." She smirked and circled the glass on her palm. 

She got a teeny-tiny bit flustered of that smirk plastered on Irene's lips. "Y-your wine tastes so good." 

"Do you want more?"

"Sure, I guess." Wendy scratched the back of her head and let the owner pour more in her half full glass. She took a big sip before she leaned back and stared at the ceiling, Irene moved closer to her and wrapped her arm on her stomach. "You like cuddling, huh?"

"My sister always wanted me to cuddle with her when we were young and I kind of adapted that habit of hers. You guys are the same age actually." 

"Should I be concerned that you see your little sister in me? That's not the role I'm trying to take part in your life." She chuckled.

"And what role in my life are you trying to take part in?"

"This." She moved her hand to tilt the other's chin and slowly leaned in to place a gentle kiss on her lips. They made eye contact for a few seconds before they closed their eyes and leaned in again. Both were unsure if it's the alcohol or everything that's happened the whole day that's making them do things they know they'd probably have a hard time talking about later. Irene suddenly took off Wendy's flannel shirt leaving her in her muscle tee, while the latter pulled the hem of her turtleneck shirt from being tucked in her pants. Before things could even begin to escalate further, Irene started giggling and the other pulled away with a dopey smile on her lips. "What?"

 

"Are you okay, miss?" Irene quirked her eyebrow with a bemused looked on her face. "I think you were taking pictures of me, I need you to get rid of that or I'll call the police."

"No! I-I wasn't doing anything!" Wendy anxiously kept her camera on her crossbody bag and the fashion designer gripped her wrist.

"I think I know you, I saw you the other day outside my apartment building." The twenty year old harshly pried her hand off and ran away from her and out of Central Park. She ran and ran and never looked back until she reached the subway station. She clutched to her hammering chest and tightened her grip on her camera. 

 

 

Their eyes locked on each other for a second, but they chose to look away after, they both knew it was time to say goodbye. Wendy scratched the back of her neck, while Irene tapped her foot on the ground--a mannerism that she does whenever she feels nervous and conflicted. 

"So." They both said at the same time.

"You first." Wendy said.

"No, you." 

"Don't look at me like that." 

"Like what?" She furrowed her eyebrows and felt her heart softened when she heard the next sentence.

"Like you don't want me to say goodbye and go."

"I don't want you to go, to be honest. I had such a great time with you, and I just want more of you, but looking at you and seeing your eyes, I don't think we're on the same page and that...breaks my heart." A bitter smile appeared on her lips as she looked away from the younger girl, composure faltering. 

Wendy wrapped her arms on her sides and placed her head on her chest, while Irene instinctively the back of her head and played with her hair, "We just met today, but why is my heart breaking too?"

"Do we have to end it like this?"

"I don't know, all I know is that I love what I am feeling and I don't want it to go away."

"I was kind of hoping you won't take back what you said about having a second date, but I get it, at the end of the day, we're just...us, we have to go back to being Irene, the workaholic who seemed to have everything, but in reality she's just as troubled as any other person out there, and Wendy, the kid who works in her father's deli grocery with concealed big dreams. I don't want us to go back to being strangers again, but that would be too selfish of me, right? Every thing in this world--good or bad, it has to have an end, but maybe that's okay, at least I met a strange and charming girl in Central Park who was bold enough to ask me out and tour me around the city I grew up in. People come and go in your life, may it be for long or short time, but the most important part is when you connected with them and they gave you something that you'll forever keep in your heart. 7 billion people walk around the earth and New York's population is more than 8 million, yet you're the only one who managed to make my normal different. Maybe, when our situation's different and we're both not struggling, we'll meet again to continue what we have started."

"I hope you're right."

 

 

 

haha thanks for reading, i hope you listened to goodnight n go by imogen heap.