three

BABYBOY HOTLINE ➣ KSJ.KTH

Seokjin had never felt such raw fear in his life until the call with Tae. 

He felt a surge of panic run through him though his voice remained calm and gentle, his hands trembled, the phone slipping out of his fingers once or twice while his heart drummed so loudly in his chest. He was sure the man could hear it. 

He reported the call, he cursed himself for not calling the police or getting the man's number. Seokjin prayed there was a chance the man could get help and that he was safe that thought held him together for the night.

He would check his phone from time to time on the ride home, his anxiety would rise each time his notifications dinged, but the man had never texted or called. Seokjin went home with a pit in his stomach that wouldn't go away.

Seokjin let out a deep breath as he tapped in the code to his door and entered his home. He kicked his shoes off at the entrance before stepping into the living area and braving up a smile. 

Jimin lounged back on the couch with a hand thrown behind as head, and the other held the remote as he mindlessly flicked through channels. 

"Jimin, feet off the couch," He chuckled, smacking the male's foot down. 

Jimin sat up, startled, placing a hand against his chest before a smile grazed over his face. "Don't do that!" He whined, and Jin laughed again. 

"How was he today?" Seokjin asked as he pulled his jacket off and placing it on the back of the couch. 

"Bearable he hid in his room the most of the day." 

Jin raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Oh, so no more smart remarks?" He questioned. 

Jimin snorts, "You'd be surprised."

"Thank you, Jimin, seriously. You sure you don't want me to start paying—"

"No! No, no, nope! No paying hyung! The food you make for me is enough, plus I love hanging around that brat. Makes me feel young." The younger sighs contentedly. 

A flash of wide eyes and black hair come into Seokjins view as his little brother runs into his arms, knocking him back. Luckily for both of them, he catches his balance. 

"Hyung, you're back!" His little brother Jungkook cheerfully says, squeezing the older tightly. 

"Hey, baby. What are you doing awake?" He asks the boy before turning to the supposed babysitter. "Jimin, why is he awake? He's supposed to be in bed."

"Oh yeah, he refused to sleep. I tried everything, even bribed him with a new game, didn't budge. He wanted to wait for you to come home." 

"Hyung, I'm old enough to stay up a little later!" Jungkook whines.

"Yes, because twelve is so mature." Jimin quips, and Seokjin shoots a glare at the male. 

"It's a school night, and you know it. Why are you up?" The eldest asks again. 

Jungkook shrugs, "I dunno. I can't sleep if I don't know you're home and safe." 

Jin coos at that and pulls his brother in for another tight hug. "Baby, I promise you I will always be safe, I will always come back home to you. You don't have to worry. I'm not going anywhere for a long time." 

The younger has always had some attachment issues. Granted, the boy didn't have the easiest start to life. Their family life has always been rocky after their mother abandoned them both.

Seokjin was only nine when his mother had left, leaving all the responsibility to his grandmother to raise him. Life with his grandmother wasn't all bad. There was the occasional teasing from his peers at school because of his family dynamic, but that never bothered him. he was in a safe and loving environment. She raised a kind and competent man. Seokjin owes all he is to her. 

Seokjin was only twenty-one when she passed away, and that same year the woman he once called mom was hardly recognizable as she stood at Seokjin's apartment door holding a small boy's hand. Seokjin could barely believe it when the woman begged him to take the boy, saying she couldn't do it anymore she wasn't ready to be a mother Seokjin himself had never raised his voice before until that day, he told her to never come back as he took the boy inside. He hadn't seen her since. 

The first couple of months with Jeongguk was hell for the both of them. Seokjin knew nothing about taking care of a child, and the boy had wanted nothing more but his mother. Seokjin had contemplated giving the boy up. It certainly would have been easier. Seokjin barely had enough money to take care of himself, let alone a child. One day Jeongguk had cried and cried, and eventually, Seokjin sat beside the boy and cried himself. That day he had decided just like his grandmother, he was going to raise Jungkook. He was going to give him the best life possible. 

"I was gonna pretend to be asleep but wanted to know if you had a good day, hyung." 

"Yeah, hyung had a good day, baby." 

Jungkook perks up at these words, his eyes lighten up with excitement, making him look so child-like and innocent. Seokjin can only smile at his younger brother before tapping his shoulder, signaling the younger to go to bed.

Jungkook pouts but doesn't argue, knowing it's best to listen to his older brother. "Goodnight, Jimin!" He yells to the man sitting on the sofa, a mischievous grin on his face. 

"Go to sleep, you little brat!" Jimin scolds not batting an eye when the younger flips him off. 

Seokjin sighs, "Jeongguk bed now."

"Fine hyung, goodnight!" The boy calls and runs off to his bedroom. 

Jin waits till he sees the boy's room door close before taking a seat at the table across. 

Jimin walks to the fridge, grabbing bottled water before sitting at the table with the older.

"I changed my mind you don't pay me enough." The male sighs as he takes a seat across from Seokjin.

The older laughs shaking his head, "Shut up."

Seokjin looks up from his bangs and furrows his eyebrows at the look the younger is giving him.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He questions, feeling his ears burn at the sudden attention. 

Jimin narrows his eyes. "I'm just wondering when you're going give up the charade and tell me what happened tonight." 

Seokjin shakes his head, "I'm fine, Jimin."

"Jin, I know you better than that." The younger says softly. 

Jin huffs, running his fingers through his onyx locks before leaning back in the chair.

Jimin eyes are full of concern as he takes the older's hand. "Hyung." He mumbles, the back of older's hand with his thumb. 

"A man had called, he said he wanted to kill himself, and you know at first I thought it was a prank but if you would have heard him. He sounded so broken, Jimin." Seokjin recalled 

"Oh." The younger mumbles out in shock. 

"I couldn't stay on the call with him for that long, so I gave him my number so he can call or text me just something." 

"Did he?" Jimin asks. Seokjin shook his head. 

"I didn't—" Seokjin pauses "—I didn't do enough. He's probably someone's father or brother. He's someone's son. He's someone, a ing person, and I didn't do enough."

Jimin shakes his head as he inches out of the seat to stand in front of the older.
"Hyung, listen to me it was out of your hands, but you talked to him you showed him that someone out there cares. There was probably nothing you could do to change his mind, but you tried. You did your best a lot more than what other people would've done." 

"I couldn't just help think, what if that was you or Jungkook and I just..." Tears streamed down the older face, and Jimin hastily embraces Seokjin into a tight hug, rubbing the male's back. 

"Come on, let's get you something to eat, and after, we can watch a movie or go to sleep whatever you want," Jimin suggested softly, still holding onto the older man kissing the top of his head. 

"Alright," Seokjin sighed as he let the younger pull him up from the chair. 

He has no clue what he would do without Jimin. He doesn't want to imagine a life without him either.