one

BABYBOY HOTLINE ➣ KSJ.KTH

"Are you in imminent danger?" The operator asked monotonously. "If you're not, then there is nothing I can do."

"Listen here you dumb , since you don't know how a suicide hotline ing works-"

The line went off with a click, leaving a bitter smile to succumb to the male's face as he lowered the phone from his ear to see the call had ended. Taehyung shut his eyes, squeezing them tightly as he tapped his fingers that were still tender and chewed down to the bone against his device before letting out a heavy sigh.

He stepped out of the bathroom, throwing his phone into the wooden coffee table before plopping down onto the firm couch as he looked down at his letter of "resignation" it took a draft, some revises here and there from him to get it just right he laughed at the thought, he was a perfectionist even when it came to his own death.

He tapped the wooden table once or twice with a knuckle letting out a weak smile as he grasped the bottle of pain meds, he cursed himself for his hesitation as he shook out about 20 or 30 pills into his palm before grabbing the glass of wine off the side table that was placed to the right of him. He found himself palming the meds a little longer than expected, he had second thoughts, who wouldn't?

The idea of suicide, death, in general, is just frightening because all in a second there's nothing or at least that's what he wants to believe the theories of heaven, hell, even reincarnation scares him nothingness to him is tranquil, the thought of it brings him happiness and peace, there's no worrying or sadness, no more of his conscious and inner demons screaming at him, he could finally be free.

Taehyung had taken a week off without notice to wrap his head around all of it, ignoring his father's and assistant's calls so either way he'd be dead meat, there's no going back now. But maybe all of this will bring some sick kind of awareness, bring some infamy to the company's name, it could be the scandal of the year, and he could just picture the headlines now: "Successor Kim Taehyung found dead in a ty motel: Suicide or premeditated murder?"

He secluded himself in this small dingy motel, somewhere he knew no one would follow. He didn't want to inconvenience anyone, but either way, someone was going to find his decrepit rotting corpse and as foolish as it might seem the idea of him dying in his big luxurious home felt awry.

Don't get him wrong, he's not the type to demean anyone's strains in life, drowning is drowning whether it be in 2ft of water or ing 12, but when daddy is a multi-millionaire CEO of one of the largest publishing companies in South Korea the line has to be drawn somewhere right?

The harsh truth is money can buy happiness, just depends on how you spend it and not on materialistic items like expensive cars and tasteless designer brands, those worldly possessions wouldn't bring anyone any type of real joy and fulfillment in life but a shrink might and maybe a couple of happy pills.

In his home, mental health was a big taboo, rarely ever talked about or addressed. His father did a fine job of hiding Taehyung's depression, anxiety, and quite obvious social issues. He did a fine job of parading his son around like a lifeless dummy, showing him off like his prized trophy. He did a fine job raising an unhappy boy into a broken man.

After it all, Taehyung still loves his father so much so that he blames himself for the inadequacy of his father's parenting. Taehyung wouldn't lie he is still bitter, but never defiant he's always done what's told, knowing somewhere along the line it brought him to where he is now, sitting in a run-down motel, staring into the dark pool of wine in his glass with a handful of acetaminophen in his palm.

The sound from the TV that once served as background noise became alarmingly louder startling Taehyung to look up at the wide flat-screen mounted against the wall displaying a commercial that caught his attention. The ad shown a scantily clad man lying on a bed decorated with baby pink and sky blue pillows and bed-sheets, he stared seductively into the camera while holding an old-style landline, curling the cords with his finger as he kicked his legs pretending to have a conversation with someone on the other end.

Taehyung snickered at the ad and watched the man closely before a number flashed on the screen, and found himself shrugging as he reached the device in his pocket dialing the digits. There was no internal conflict, no need to stop and think about how his father would scold him horribly for calling a  hotline out of all things, how this would ruin the company if it got out. Not like he had anything to lose, this might be his last time on earth, why not go out with a little fun?

The other side rang and rang until someone finally picked up, for a second there he thought he might have to leave a bad review. He chuckled at the thought until he heard the sweetest voice greet him.

"Hello daddy, thank you for calling baby boy hotline, how could I pleasure you tonight? Do you think I can make you , daddy?" The male teased.

His voice was sickeningly sweet, unbothered by the dirty things he'd just uttered. A beautiful juxtaposition, to say the least.

Taehyung shook his head as if the man could see.

"I think I want to kill myself," he blurted out of nervousness, touch getting clammy as he repositioned the phone in his hand.

The line was silent for a moment, and he cursed at himself for his sudden bluntness, afraid he's scared the man off.

"Sir, this is a hotline," The male deadpanned.

"Well, the suicide hotline hung up on me, so can you help me or what?"

"This is not exactly my level of expertise, but I can direct you to another one of our-"

"No, I want to talk to you," Taehyung voiced out. He wouldn't even be upset if the man with the angel-like voice is annoyed with him as well.

"To me?" The a̶n̶g̶e̶l̶ man asked, almost surprised.

"It'd be awkward to explain this whole... situation again, and I like hearing your voice its-its comforting," He confessed, squeezing his eyes shut.

He heard a small giggle from the angel, and just like his mouth curved into a smile, a genuine one, something he hadn't done in years and his heart began to thump in his chest so loud he could hear it in his ears. All he wants to do is make the angel laugh again

"Look if this was a normal call I would have to transfer you off to someone else since I'm just a greeter, so can I give you my number? I get off of work in an hour, I'd love it if you texted me ok? I want to make sure you're safe," the man said, his voice practically dripping with sincerity leaving Taehyung taken aback.

He's a complete stranger why should he care or try to help? Truthfully being who he is Taehyung has met a ton of people who tried to get on his good side to get in return, but here he was helping the male just out of the kindness of his heart, Taehyung couldn't wrap his mind around it.

"Um - sure," Taehyung mutters. "What's your name? Or what should I call you?"

The man let out another small chuckle, "Jinnie, how about you?"

"Um, Tae. Tae is fine."

"Alright Tae, well we have been on this call a little bit longer then we should be, so I'm going to tell you my number now. Tell me if I need to repeat anything."

Taehyung's eyes widen as he quickly puts the male on speaker and opening his contacts, "Ok, I'm ready."

The moment Jinnie began to speak he felt himself melting all over again and stared at the phone in some kind of trance.

"Tae?"

"Um, are you still there? Did you get my number down," Jinnie asks slightly louder, snapping the male back into reality.

"Yes, I did, sorry."

"No, you're fine! Make sure to text me alright? Goodnight and please stay safe.

"Goodnight," Taehyung mutters back as the line ends.

He throws his phone back onto the coffee table before throwing his head back and sinking lower into the couch. His phone rings loudly making him jump back up, he sighs and answers the phone.

"Hello?"

"Where the are you?!" A familiar voice shouts at him.

He draws the phone away from his ear and his eyes widen as he sees the number. And he's so dead when he gets home.