MINA

Strangers

“I've got a whole lot of work

to do with your heart

'cause it's so busy, mine's not.”

Loving Strangers, Russian Red

 

———

 

I felt someone touched my cheeks. It tickles me, so I open my eyes to see the most beautiful woman I've seen in my entire life staring at me. Her chocolate orbs drowns me like a black hole that pulls you in without turning back.

"What are you doing?" I asked smiling. I was taken aback by her answer but I didn't show it.

"Looking at my favorite constellation," she answered softly. A warm feeling engulfed my heart. I flinched when she touched my cheeks lightly, that's when I realized my tears are falling. I can see in her face that she's confused and curious at the same time, however I pulled her in a hug.

I can feel her heart beating fast from her chest. It reminded me of the first time we made love three years ago. The way she looked at me as if memorising every bits of me, that made me feel warm inside. The effect of her cautious and curious touched against my burning skin. Her soft lips against mine.

She's whispering sweet nothings whilst my hair and back, I don't know how long I cried, but I don't care so long as I can feel her warmth again.

When she got involved in an accident, my whole world stopped, I couldn't feel my heart beat. I was afraid that she will be gone away from me. I prayed all day and night to Him to let her live, He answered my prayers and I rejoiced, but I fell into despair when she woke up and didn't recognize me. Of all people, I'm the only one she can't remember. The doctor said she's suffering from selective amnesia.

I didn't question His work, for I know it was the ramifications of what I've done. We fought before the accident happened.

They say our brain may forget but never the heart. That's why I'm working to win her feelings back, and be mine again, no matter how long it will take.

She's yours from the start, my mind rebuked.

But her memory says otherwise, I rebutted.

Last night we made love, for her it was our first time but to me, it's not although everytime we do it, it feels like our first time. The electrifying spark that flows in my body, the butterflies in my stomach, and all.

When I calmed down, she let go of me and I feel upset. I want her in a close proximity with me. She wiped my face, and I leaned on her touch, savoring the moment.

"It's alright now," she encouraged giving me her warm smile that I adore so much.

I smiled back at her, uttering a small "thank you" under my breath as I nod.

"There. You're pretty when you smile."

That's what she always say to me when I get sad, and she's the only one who can calm me down.

Oh, if you only knew. You are the reason of my smiles and tears. I said to her in my mind.

She panicked when a lone tear dropped from my eyes. I just laughed at her. I can't help it. I'm so happy that she's here with me. I don't care if her memory won't come back, as long as her heart recognizes me, I am all fine with that. I can still make her feel love. I can still show her how much she means to me; how much I love her with all my life.

I hugged her once again. This time it's tighter than earlier. I don't wanna let go.

"I love you." I whispered, kissing her crown. She hummed in response, burying her face in my neck.