Start>>

Empty spaces between

"Mina!"


There was an echo, and then there was this shrill, a terrible sound that effectively woke Mina down to the core.


A hand suddenly waved in sight, beckoning her over. Mina sighed and just fronted a smile, following suite.


"Come look at this girl... she's so young, but she's already well-known and famous! what was her name..."


Mina was now squished between her friends. It was only her and the twins tonight, something about having a girls sleep-over. Mina agreed, albeit reluctantly. Her parents were mutual about it, as long as she instilled most of her focus with the priorities at hand. Mina guessed it had to do with music. Everyone liked it when Mina played - and it also made Mina feel better, somewhat extraordinary.


"Kim Dahyun."


They repeated, muttering underneath their breath. One twin almost looked as if they were coaxed into a trance, steely eyes tracing the outline of Kim Dahyuns body, fingers, as they jumped from piano key to the other. Mina found herself undeniably captivated as well. This Kim Dahyun, Mina could tell she was much younger than her. Mina felt her nails curl, fingertips beginning to itch. It was inspiring, challenging, in a sense.


"She's cute. Very cute." The same twin who'd been attentively watching the girls performance blurted out, turning to face Mina and her counterpart with a large, fox-ish grin.


Mina just nodded along. She wasn't much of a talker anyway. It still surprised her to this day that she even had friends. Other than her ability to excel at instruments, melodies, tunes, there was nothing interesting about her. She was a blank canvas without any specialty. She was minimalistic, and that's all, just it.


"Mitang, I think she's from the same company you said those people tried to scout you out from..."


Mina lifted a brow then leaned in closer, the twins laptop screen blaring at her face. She narrowed her eyes into slits, trying to read the title properly. It was uploaded onto youtube with the words 'debut footage' and a sequence of numbers that Mina assumed was its date time at the side.


"S.s spark entertainment..." Mina whispered, feeling the name tingle on her lips and circulate through her mind. It was familiar, Mina knew that. To double check, she got up from the twins bed and lumbered over to the chair pulled out from their desk. First thing Mina did when she arrived to the twins household and step into their room was carefully place her jacket onto the chair so it didn't require an amount of effort to fold. Her parents always told her to keep things maintained, neat and tidy.


That teaching was embroiled through her, thick and thin. Yet having friends made her feel different. They were an odd influcence. Right now, however, she was nothing short of aggressive as she dug her hand into the jacket and rummaged through her pockets.


Minas curiosity seemed to ultimately peak.


There was a crumpled, flimsy piece of paper and a card that Mina came in contact with. She looked up in concentration and fished the items out, instantaneously going down to roam her eyes over cursive letters containing a digit of numbers at the bottom.


"I think the two ladies who gave me this wanted me to call their entertainment company if I ever thought about reconsidering my answer."


The twins had been observing every movement Mina made. What they heard only inflated their query to fascination. The same twin in particular was acting rather excited. Smitten, Mina would say.


"That's awesome! you should give them a ring and try it out. There's no doubt you'd become famous just like this girl Kim Dahyun." That twin, someone Mina couldn't quite identify yet, had stars soaring in her eyes.


Mina contemplated it, then thought. Reflecting back, Mina tried to comprehensively recall the moment she actually collided with those two agents. From her memory, she was walking home the usual route while Akihiro attempted to strike a conversation with her in what felt like vein, then out of nowhere - like they breathed into existence, two pretty women that looked to be in their mid-twenties approached her.


It unnerved Mina. That she wasn't conscious of their presence all until they actually brought themselves to light. Nonetheless, Mina stayed cool, level-headed. She let them sputter on with their reason to intentions.


But problem was, Mina didn't plan on becoming an idol anytime soon.


She had her own things to accomplish, dreams to chase, and being instructed of what words to speak a nuance from infront of a camera displaying a 2-d avater of her world wasn't part of it.


Lastly, Mina examined the crumpled piece of paper she did her best in straightening out. It still had crinkles that made the handwriting hard to distinguish, but it was alright for the most part.


"Here's my personal number if you ever wanna talk, or discuss matters further with detail rather than going in to audition blindly. Do shoot me a call sometime :-)

-- Ms Park."


Mina pursed her lips.


"I'm not sure why, but one of those ladies, I think she had... blonde hair? gave me their personal number. I'm not actually that interested in becoming an idol, and I already denied their proposals so it was kind of a waste."


Mina just shrugged. She failed to catch the twins glaring holes into her side-profile.


"That's a shame... but if you don't want it, Can we have it?"


They questioned, words blending in to create one voice and sound. Mina shivered, she should really tell them to stop doing that. Mina supposed it was probably fine to do in childhood, but when they got older, and were inevitably forced to trudge on with their lives individually, Mina feared it might be hard for them.


Mina didn't want to dwell on it.


"Sure."


Mina bounded up to the twins bed and sunk onto their comfortable mattress. She tossed the card to them and then slid the paper over sluggishly.


Mina yawned. The twins smiled.


"Tired, darling?"


There was only one twin talking, and Mina preferred it that way, even if their voices fit into the same vocal colour.


The twins laughed. Mina started to doze off.


"Hahaha... funny Mitang. Now sleep, we'll always see each other the day after."


That night, Mina felt ticklish, like bugs crawling and creeping all over her body. Breath fanned her cheeks, and incoherent, quiet whispers plagued her indoor mind. Dreams kept repeating the same thing.


Together forever.