Koala

Intervention
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“They all sound like you, Rosie.”

 

“No, they don’t, we have different accents too, you know.”

 

“I don’t think so, I think they all sound like you.”

 

“I agree.”

 

“Me three. But their voices aren’t as nice as yours.”

 

“Just because were in Australia, doesn’t mean we all sound the same.”

 

“That’s what they all say.”

 

“I don’t tell you guys that everyone in Thailand or Korea sound like you.”

 

“It’s a compliment, Rosie posie, you know how much I love hearing you speak English.” She leaned over and kissed her girlfriend’s cheek as the van continued heading towards their next destination.

 

“I’m so excited, but I’m really disappointed that we haven’t seen any koalas, kangaroos, or kiwi birds yet.”

 

“We haven’t left the highway, Lisa, and besides, kiwi birds live in New Zealand, not Australia.”

 

“Wait, is that why New Zealanders are called Kiwis?” Jisoo just rolled her eyes, Lisa was both the smartest and stupidest person she knew. “Wow, that explains a lot. Hey, Rosie, can we call you Kiwi then? You’re a Kiwi, right?”

 

The singer shrugged, “I mean, yeah, I guess I am. I’m still a citizen of New Zealand, I just haven’t lived there for a long time.”

 

“I bet Jennie’s gonna call you Kiwi in bed, ya know, since they’re nocturnal and all.”

 

“That makes no sense, Chu.”

 

“Sure it does,” she smirked at the two girls, “remember that kiwi teddy someone gave you? That played a sound? They’re loud at night, just like Rosie is.”

 

The singer blushed as the rapper glared at her best friend. “You’re just jealous cause you need to get laid, and no one’s offering.”

 

“I’m more than capable of taking care of myself, Jen.”

 

“What about me? I want someone to take care of me. Please take care of me, Chu.” Lisa looked pleadingly at Jisoo who scoffed, though she was seriously considering taking her up on that offer.

 

“You haven’t told us our plans for today, Rosie.”

 

“Cause it’s a secret.”

 

Jennie gave her the best puppy dog eyes she could muster, “but I’m your girlfriend. We agreed not to keep anything from each other.”

 

“Not telling you, you’ll see soon enough. I promise you’ll all enjoy it. Though it’ll be crazy hot, so make sure to bring a fan and a hat.”

 

“Jennie should bring an air condition and sparkling water.”

 

“Aiya, Lisa!” Jennie playfully smacked the younger girl who was laughing at her own joke, “if you don’t stop, I’ll cut off your bangs.”

 

“Rosie! Control your woman!”

 

“Don’t bring me into this, you’re on your own.”

 

Jennie grinned wickedly at Lisa before cuddling into Rosie’s side, satisfied with Rosie’s answer, while Lisa just held onto her bangs, scared that she’d wake up one day to find them gone.

 

“We’re almost there!” Rosie suddenly squealed as the car drove up the hills outside the city. “Okay, so quick information, today we’re going to meet an animal that is extremely dangerous. They’re feared by many, their fangs are only rivaled by their claws, they attack out of nowhere, and you need to be on guard when around them. We will get to hold them, but you have to be careful.” Her voice was low, adding to the heavy tension in the car as the other three tried to figure out what exactly they’d be holding that day.

 

“I don’t wanna do it.”

 

“You’re scared of everything.”

 

“That’s not true, but with my luck I’d be attacked by this carnivorous beast.”

 

“What can it be though? Not a snake, cause it has claws… not a spider either.”

 

“Could it be a hybrid? Like half snake half something with claws?”

 

“Possibly. I thought I knew all the scary animals in Australia.”

 

“It could be a crocodile? They’re scary. Maybe we’ll hold a baby crocodile?”

 

“Or a kangaroo? Do they have fangs?”

 

“What if it’s a kangaroo-spider hybrid? Or a kangaroo-snake hybrid?”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous, they’re not even the same; one is a marsupial and the other two are not, so obviously they can’t breed.”

 

“This is Australia, Jisoo, the laws of physics don’t apply here.”

 

Jisoo looked at her incredulously, “I never mentioned physics. Please stop this torture and just tell us, Rosie.”

 

Rosie was thoroughly enjoying watching as the other three made up ridiculous hybrids and other conspiracy theories. “We’re meeting the infamous drop bears.”

 

Jisoo and Lisa looked terrified while Jennie squealed loudly with joy. “Why are you so excited, Jennie? You’re even scared of Joohwangie!”

 

“Because drop bears are koalas, silly.”

 

“Wait, koalas are dangerous? I don’t wanna hold them then. I thought they were cute little fluffy creatures.”

 

“I was joking, Lisa. Australians like to joke about drop bears, but they’re not real. Koalas do have really sharp claws, but they’re unlikely to harm you.”

 

“Promise?” the maknae didn’t look too certain and she didn’t wanna put her flawless skin at risk.

 

“Promise.”

 

“Hi everyone! My name is Victor, and I’ll be your guide today. Welcome to Wild Gorge Animal Park! We’re gonna start you off today with a couple of koalas.”

 

Two park rangers came in carrying two adorable koalas, causing all four girls too aww in unison, though Lisa was still slightly scared.

 

“This is Kevin and George, they’re two of the koalas we have here in the park. Kevin is four years old, and George is two and a half. They’re both very gentle, and as long as they get some fresh eucalyptus, they’re happy boys. They only eat the leaves, not the branches, and they can eat up to a kilo of eucalyptus leaves a day! Considering how light the leaves are, that’s quite a bit of food for these two boys. However, despite their love for eucalyptus, they are very picky eaters. Koalas will only eat the leaves of about 50 types of eucalyptus trees, despite there being over 700 species, and in the wild they prefer higher branches!”

 

“I love trees,” Jisoo whispered under her breath.

 

“Furthermore, the leaves are very low on nutrition, leaving koalas to sleep for up to 18 hours a day to conserve energy, which means they do a whole lotta eating and sleeping. They like to sit at the base of tree branches, hugging the tree trunk to keep steady, and they have extra padding on their butts so that they’re comfortable while sitting there for hours on end. That’s a little bit of info about our furry friends, are you guys ready to hold them?”

 

Jennie, Jisoo, and Rosie eagerly nodded, while Lisa looked frightened. “Aren’t you even a little scared, Chu?”

 

“I’m not scary.”

 

“But look at their claws!”

 

“Don’t worry about their claws, they won’t hurt you. They use them to climb trees and grab juicy leaves, but as long as you hold them correctly, they won’t do you any harm.”

 

“See, you have nothing to worry about.” Lisa still wasn’t entirely sure.

 

They teamed up, Jennie and Rosie going with George and his handler while Jisoo and Lisa were with Kevin.

 

“Do you wanna go first?” Jennie nodded eagerly as she stood in front of George.

 

“Okay, so what you want to do is cup your hands like this,” the girl who wasn’t holding George was saying, showing her how to have her hands, “low on your stomach, about the same height as your hips. He’ll sit in your hands facing you, that way one paw can hold onto you – don’t worry, it doesn’t hurt – while he uses the other to grab his food.”

 

“Like this?” Jennie c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter