CHAPTER 2: LORD HELP ME!

Chained To A Fate Unknown

Chapter 2: Lord Help Me!

The younger girl somewhat feels perturbed by the older girl attitude this morning. She should have read the document first before signing it although the older girl had brief her about it. The older girl told her that she should pay her back, the things she ruined. And that’s that. Nothing much. But why does that does not make her feel comfortable with the older girl grin and act this morning. How that happen again?

 

FLASHBACK.

Son Juyeon is a college student who are majoring in Computer Science. She started her college this year without any financial support from any sources. Her family wanted to support her studies, but she refused to let them help since she wanted to be independent. Her family cannot argue much with her since their household income were quite unstable. Her father has left them since her birth, and she might know the reason.

Her family consist of her single mother, and three children including her. The eldest were older 4 years than Juyeon, her name is Hayeon while the second were 2 year older than Juyeon, her name is Nayeon. Son Juyeon were 22 years old. Both of her sister were helping their mother at the restaurant.

She is the youngest and both of her siblings were female. Like any other family, the youngest are always being pampered by their family members, including Son Juyeon. She grew up with her family members never left her side. When she was a kid, she could not understand all. Why would her mother and sisters protect her too much, but as she grows up, she knows.

Her family line has established a coffee shop. It was a wedding gift from her great grandparents to Juyeon’s mother. The income from the shop were declining over the year now since there are too many competitions. And now, the shop is getting closed because they cannot afford to operate anymore. Too many bills to pay. And not many customers are coming. 

At the same time, Juyeon were received a mail which offering her to further her studies in one of the colleges at the capital of South Korea, Seoul. Her first resolve were rejecting the offer however her mother also received the same message with a congratulating her for the happy news. Her mother could never be happier. Juyeon would be her first child to stepping into college since both of her sister could not. It is one of her wishes to watch her child to graduate. She wait until finished dinner time to discuss it with Juyeon.

“Juju, come sit with mama.” Mrs. Son pat the seat next to her.

“Yes, mama.” Juyeon obediently do as she asked.

“Earlier, mama received a message about your college admission.” Mrs. Son stated.

“I have made my decision. I will reject the offer.” Juyeon replied firmly.

“No, baby. You will accept it. Mama wants you to further your study.” Mrs. Son replied gently. Juyeon has an unwavering resolution, if she decided something, she would make it come true even though it is detriment. And Mrs. Son already dealing with this for 20 years.

“Ma, I don’t want to study anymore. I’d better be working so I can help with the shop.” Juyeon said, her voice starting to raise to an octave.

“Don’t worry about that baby. Let mama worry about that.” Mrs. son replied, still calmly as ever.

“It is our family business. I want to help. Please let me help.” Juyeon plead.

“No. Juju. Education are important. Mama didn’t receive good education and look where it leads mama now. Baby, you have to accept the offer.” Mrs. Son stated sadly.

“Mama…” Juyeon braining for any other reason to refute.

“Mama, it’s at Seoul. Ma. Too far away. I don’t want to be apart from you.” Juyeon said.

“It is not overseas baby. Why are you refusing this great opportunity?”

“It’s not like that…”

“College will be a new experience for you, Juju. Also, it’s Seoul. Who doesn’t want to go to there?”

“Not me. Ma….”

“Please baby. Do it for, Mama.” Mrs. Son plead. She reach for Juyeon’s hand and squeeze it lightly.

Juyeon went speechless. No matter how hard-headed she might be, she would never want her mother to beg for anything. Her mother is her only weakness, she could never defy a woman who has given birth to her. Nurture her alone without anyone helps. Be patient with her naughty acts. Plus, her mother have never put her hand on her other than gently pat. How could she refuse her mother. She would do anything for her mother.

“Alright. Ma” Juyeon replied dejectedly.

“Mama only want the best for you.”

“Alright . I will turn in early today. Ma. Good night. I love you.” Juyeon stand up slowly while leaning closer towards her mother to kiss her forehead.

“Night, baby. I love you too. Don’t forget to brush your teeth and say goodnight to your sisters.” Mrs. Son said cheerfully while watching Juyeon who was standing in front of her waiting for the latter to finish her sentence.

“Ne.” Juyeon replied with a small smile and then she bows towards her mother before left the resting room quietly.

THE NEXT DAY.

Juyeon rises early from the peeking sun. She still contemplating about the college admission. Does she really would go there? What about the airplane ticket? What about the college fee? She still need materials for study. She needs laptop since she doesn’t have one. And, what about the dormitories? Will she be offered a room? What about her living there? She don’t have enough money. Of course, she will find part time work but where can she search for it? She don’t know the direction there. Plus, she doesn’t have any relatives there.

 There are other things too. However, the weird this is, how come she receive the offer since she never ever took any entrance exam, as far as she remember.  She was offered for a Computer Science programme at Seoul National University which she has no intention to study further since their family condition right now are not ideal. Although her final exam result are great, she have no intention other than helping her mother with their family business. With that in mind, Juyeon skip the entrance exam and go job hunting which did not turn out very well since no one wants to hire a fresh high school graduate without experience. Then, the next week she receive that letter. Weird indeed.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

Juyeon or her full name Son Juyeon got into a huge mess. She did not know why or which devil curse her, but all knows that she is unlucky, since birth. Everyone were messing her up for things she did not know. Even during her school life, she is not a nerd, but she is not popular either though she always being bullied. She could not understand anything. And now this.

“I thought, I just have to sign the agreement. What else? I only have to pay you back, right.” she said, clearly irritated.

“Yes, there’s so many ways for you to pay me back…”

“What do you mean by that?” Juyeon said baffled.

“Have you forgotten? Your part time salary won’t be enough to pay back the clothes you’ve ruined. There should be...”

“Right. That’s why the contract exist. I won’t run away before the payment finish if that’s what you scared of.” The younger girl replied as she folder her hand and sink herself into the soft couch.

“So, you know.” The older girl replied smugly.

“But that doesn’t mean that you are allowed to do anything as you please whenever you want. Woman, it’s weekend. I’m losing my tiny braincell just to stay awake and speak to you early in the damn morning.” the younger girl exclaimed.

“What? Need me to remind you again.” The older girl replied as she put on as-the-matter of fact look. 

“I got enough. Don’t you think you are too much?” the younger girl asked tiredly as she let out a heavy sigh.

“Nope. Now, you accompany me to the office.” The older girl replied as she retrieves her coat from her room.

“*sigh* It’s Sunday. Why can’t we just stay home and do nothing for once? Besides, who is working on Sunday? Workaholic people.” The younger girl retorts.

“Who say anything about work?”

“Why are people going to office if it’s not working?” The younger girl fires back.

She hears the older one sighing. That make her guilty for a second because the older has treated her breakfast and welcome her nicely but here she is having a word war with the older one. Besides, this is all her fault for spilling not one cup, but the whole jug of orange juice onto the older. Hell, where actually that juice come from? And, why does they blame on her? She did nothing just stands up from her sit that day.

“Look, let’s just go to my office.” The older girl stated firmly.

“Why do you need me…” the older girl throws her the car key next to her place, which shut her up.

She reluctantly grabs the key and get up from her position with a low sigh and trying to act sulky upon her way out. Her gaze does not leave the floor as she passes the older girl or the older girl direction. She silently led her way from the witch floor and self-lead towards the parking lot without waiting the older girl. She checks the car key and recognises the logo on the surface. An Audi. She roams her eyes to every car and saw a silver Audi by the end of the corner which was isolated from other car. She pushes the unlock button and go to the driver sit.

She couldn’t help but marvel how fancy to sit on one of this kind of car.

They reached their destination with ease since its weekend. Not many cars are on the road early in the morning, also with the older girl (-un) helpful direction, they arrived in front of a big building 45 minutes later. The younger girl were speechless as she saw the big sign of the Kim Corporation at the entrance of building. Who doesn’t know the Kim Corporation? They are the business tycoon, the biggest of them all. They concur everything, from local to overseas, they have it all. They rule with iron grip, never lose chances for glory.

“It won’t be long.” The older girl said curtly without even glancing towards the younger girl.

“Woah. That witch work here. Crazy! No wonder her clothes are expensive as hell. Meh.” She mutters silently as her eyes scanning to the vacant entrance. She doesn’t muddle up with the ‘WOW’ factor that she just saw. Grabbing her phone from the front pocket, she is checking her social feed.

“Hm, I should be sleeping right now. Hmm…” without doing anything than waiting for the older girl to come back, she tries to entertain herself by turning on the radio then humming and strumming along with the song even though she does not know the song is. Unconsciously, she fell asleep on the wheel steering lulled by the rock music in the radio.

.

.

.

She was awakened by the loud banging just right beside her, precisely right beside her left ear. Her eyes are trying to adjust with the sudden brightness plus the loud noise from the banging and radio. Her hand automatically searches for the lock her side without letting her brain to adjust to her surroundings. Her other hand unconsciously wiping the edge of then reaching to the source of the second noise. She lowered down the radio volume.

“Drive.” The older girl enters the passenger seat said as she closes the door quickly. She then yelped loudly making the other girl beside her shocked.

“What is your problem woman?” The younger girl snapped as she eyed the older girl.

“I – my leg.” She started to sob lightly as she rises her leg slowly into the car and close the door, gently this time. The younger girl eyed her weirdly.

“What?” the younger girl replied while yawning.

“Aish, just drive.” The older replied as she massages her ankle. The younger girl stare at her expectingly.

“Are you deaf?” the older added  as she stop massaging her aching feet since the car didn’t move.

“Heh, I wish.” Juyeon replied as she move closer towards the older girl.

“W-wait.- What are you doing?” the older girl lean back.

“Wearing you your seatbelt, princess.” Juyeon replied as she help the older girl put on the seatbelt.

“What would she be thinking? Ask me to drive when she haven’t worn her seatbelt. What? Want me to get a ticket or what? Man, she …” Juyeon mutter as she start to drive.

“I can hear that.”

“It was meant to be heard. Kim Jiyeon ssi”

“You could have just said that to me you know.” Jiyeon said as she glare at Juyeon. Juyeon only reply to her with a blank stare.

“Are we going to your home now?”

“No. We have so many places to go today, and you are coming with me.” Jiyeon replied as she play with her phone.

“Oh, Lord help me.” Juyeon sigh.

Juyeon was tired. She stay up late last night to do the course task and she still at dead end with it. Although the due date are in two weeks but it’s not enough. The thing is that she was tasked by her lecturer to build a java program. The requirement are there but since she does not have any basic with programming, it is very difficult for her to catch up with the course. And she kind of regretting taking the course. And right now, she could have continued where she left off last night but no, the witch always ruining her plan since last week. God, please leave her energy and sanity intact by nightfall, if else, she will be need pills. Yes, plural.

“I’ve set the location on the GPS.” Jiyeon stated.    

“We will reach our destination in 1 hours and 30 minutes.” The GPS sounded.

Juyeon can only sigh as a reply while her eyes are glued to the road. She let out a slight yawn and continue her driving.

.

.

.

They arrived at the destination as expected. Much to Juyeon dismayed it was just a cake shop which they could find everywhere near the older girl apartment. She drive for almost two hours in Sunday morning just to send the witch to a normal cake shop. God, the older girl seriously testing her patience.

“A cake shop.” Juyeon exclaimed.

“A freaking cake shop. That is.” She added. She received a plain glare from the other girl.

“She asked me to drove you for 2 hours just for a cake?” she mutter.

“Know what, just do your thing. I’ll wait here.” Juyeon stated as she glance slightly towards the older girl before making herself comfortable lying on the driver seat.

“Not a chance. Follow me inside.” Jiyeon said through the closed window and then left before getting any reply from the younger girl.

“Lord, why me?” Juyeon whine while banging her head slight onto the steering wheel.

Juyeon contemplating whether she should go inside or be a rebel. But that will only make the condition get worsen, or so she think. It is better to just follow the older girl’s order, who knows what in the store for here today or in future, with the contract still exist and with her didn’t read a thing from that paper. She better ask for a copy before she leave. Juyeon moan slightly before moving herself out of the car and follow the older girl into the shop.

As soon as Juyeon enters the shop, she was blasted with a strong fragrance of vanilla and a hint of coffee which takes her back to their own cake shop back at a small town in Gyeonggi called Yeoncheon. She unconsciously close her eyes and got taken down to an old memory lane where everything still happy and less problem. How she wish everything are like the old times where they don’t have to worry a thing. How she wish she don’t have to part from her family just because of studies. How she wish she would never grow up and still stay under her family love.

She was jolt up by a gentle pat on her shoulder which remind her that she still stand motionlessly at the front door of the cake shop. She instantly bows to the direction which the pat comes from wit a low sorry to the person. She rise up and saw that the person was someone she knows.

“Juyeonie?” that person exclaimed.

“Eunbi?” Juyeon replied excitedly. She close their gap and gives the latter a big hug with a small peck on the cheek. She knew the latter hates.

“Ah! Are you for real, Son Juyeon.” Eunbi madly wipe the peck trace.

“How did you get here? Wait before that, let sit.” Eunbi continue.

“Okey.” Juyeon reply shortly as her eye running all over the place searching for the older girl which was not in her range of view. Eunbi drags Juyeon by her arm and sits to the nearest table.

“I can’t believe this. Juyeon’s here. Wait. Are you really here, Son Juyeon? Not, not as in spirit or something?” Eunbi asked as she reach to the latter face and pinch her cheek.

“Ya. Ya. Ya. It’s me.” Juyeon reply while slapping Eunbi’s hand away.

“The Juyeon I know are still sleeping right now.” Eunbi said again as she glance towards her watch.

“That’s too much Hwang Eunbi-Ssi. I woke up early you know. It’s just that…”

“Aish, woke up early my pretty . You barely leave your bed in the morning moreover its weekend. Where is the real Son Juyeon?” Eunbi intercept Juyeon as she look the ‘imposter’ in front her up and down.

“Stoooop.” Juyeon whine as she lay her head onto the table.

“No. How did you get here?”

“Uh, I drive.” Juyeon replied.

“Exactly. Oh my god! Son Juyeon. Where did you get the car? Don’t tell me that you steal it.” Juyeon swiftly punch Eunbi shoulder.

“What is wrong with you?” Juyeon stated as she sent a deathly glare towards Eunbi.

“No. What is wrong with you? I thought you are at your room right now figuring your Java-. This is not the place we would bump on, Juju.”

“I am chauffeuring for that witch. You know, the one I talk to you before.”

“Damn, this early. Thank god you guys are safe.” Eunbi replied with a small sigh. she receive a blank stare from Juyeon with her reply.

“Why would you drive her around? Doesn’t she have her own driver or something?”

“How would I know?” Juyeon replied. “What about you?” she continue.

“Are you already forgot what I told you?”

“Ah, you got something to do here. What is it?”

“Aigoo, Juju. I told you I was visiting a relative here. My uncle held a gathering here. My family are at my uncle house.”

“You are not making an excuse just because you are dating, aren’t you? What was his name? Jangmin?Jangsuk?”

“Oh please. Not him. I got enough from umji. Not you too. Am not dating him. Period.”

“But, he’s been all over your pretty since forever Bie. You reject him? Wait, you did, man. You seriously cold.”

“Why don’t you date him instead?” Eunbi snapped.

“Uh… because I’m gay. Wait… I’m straight. Wait, no.” Juyeon received a loud laugh from Eunbi.

“Yeah.”

“Excuse me, your order are here.” A waiter interrupt their conversation with a tray of food and drinks for both of them.

“Wait, you must be mistaken. We haven’t order anything yet” Juyeon stop the waiter and tried to put the item back onto the waiter tray.

“N-no, miss. I can assure that this order are for this table. Please accept it. Enjoy your food” the waiter replied quickly and then left without waiting any reply from them.

“Great! free food is the best. Juju, their bread here are to die for and the coffee. Hmm” Eunbi stated without waiting for Juyeon’s reply.

“But I already have breakfast.” Juyeon mutter while holding her stomach. If she eats more, her mind will lull her to sleep even coffee can’t hold her mind from sleeping.

“Are you not taking this?” Eunbi asked as she pointed at the chocolate waffle.

“Split.” Juyeon replied quickly. The food look enticing but her conscious hold her from eating a food which she did not pay or put effort on. She runs her eyes throughout the shop again. And now, she saw the older girl who was sipping calmly at one of the table near the windowpane. The sun were shine slightly onto the older girl figure which automatically makes the older girl close her eyes while sipping it.

“Ya. Stop being a creep.” Eunbi bust Juyeon from her stare.

“I am not. I am just wondering who give us this.”

“Who is it?”

“Hm. Probably her. Who else? But she’s not that generous.” Juyeon mutter alone.

“Right, where is she?”

“The lady near the windowpane.” Juyeon said as she take a bite.

“She’s pretty.” Eunbi mutter loud enough for Juyeon to hear.

“Yeah, pretty evil. Eunbi this is the second time she got me up early in the morning. Morning class not counted.” Juyeon whine.

“Aigoo, you big baby. That’s good, she’s a great helper. You better shape your habit to rise early. You need to wake up early. You cannot just wake up late for the rest of your life. Juju.” Eunbi nag while eating.

“I can wake up early if  I want to.” Juyeon continues to whine which receive a plain blank stare from Eunbi.

“Eoh, alright I won’t call you early at the morning ever.” Eunbi stated.

“Ah, Eunbi. No, that’s not what I mean. B, babeee. Please continue call me in the morning.” Juyeon whine.

“I thought you can wake up by yourself?”

“Sorry.” Juyeon replied quietly.

“Aigoo, you big baby. Don’t cry now.” Eunbi spats Juyeon head.

“Yah! Stop that. I’m not a dog and I’m not crying.”

“Anyway, you got any call from home?”

“Yeah, the other night.” Juyeon reply dejectedly. She wants to go home so bad. She wants to meet her family, she misses them. It’s been a few month she’s away from home and she’s homesick really bad.

“How are they?” Eunbi asked. She has been friend with Juyeon since diapers, so they are very close. Juyeon always share her problem with Eunbi, she tells her everything including about their family business situation.

“Mother said they are doing fine there.”

“Juyeonie, we can help you know.” Eunbi stated.

“I know. It’s just, it is not that simple Bi.”

“Hm. Right. Why are you here again? I mean at this shop?” Juyeon added.

“Pabo. I’m getting my breakfast here. What else would I be here for?

“I was just asking, why do you have to be so mean to me?” Juyeon pouts.

“Ya, she’s on her way here.” Eunbi warned Juyeon frantically.

“Great lord.” Juyeon mutter.

“Excuse me. Juyeon, are you done?” the older girl stand near Juyeon while sent a thin smile towards Eunbi. Juyeon look at Eunbi and then Eunbi look at her back.

“Ah, yeah. This uh from you right?” Juyeon strangely nervous.

“Hm, I’ll wait for you at the car.” The older girl stated as she left the table.

“Wow, the air suddenly grew thick. Good luck, juju. You really need it, I think.” Eunbi stated.

“Yeah. Anyway, I go first yeah. Call me. Bye.” Juyeon pick her belonging and left Eunbi with the food.

“She didn’t even finish her waffle. Hm.” Eunbi said to no one and the take the waffle from Juyeon’s plate.

.

.

.

Juyeon quickly goes out of the café  and push the unlock button to open the car so that the older girl can enter first.  She saw that the older girl did that. In no time she already inside the car, start the engine and turn on the air warmer. She glance at the older girl to see if the girl are ready to go.

“Woman, seatbelt.” Juyeon said as she saw that the older girl are on her phone and have not wearing seatbelt. She silently cursing the older girl ignorance before her hand reach onto the seatbelt quietly which obviously failed.

“Eh, what are you doing?” Jiyeon said while looking at the younger girl.

“Wearing you your seatbelt, princess. In case you forgot, we are in car and ready to go instead of at you castle.” Juyeon replied sarcastically as she wear the seatbelt for the older girl.

“Hm… we’ll go.” Jiyeon stated. Her sentence was continuing by the GPS woman from the car.

“Kim Cake Shop, 1 hour 30 minute from your location now. Turn … “

“Another Cake Shop?” Juyeon exclaimed.

“Hm… ”

“Why are you going to this kind of shop?”

“Business.”

“…” Juyeon reply to the older girl with a plain stare.

“Anyway, where’s your own driver? You’re a freaking rich woman. ” Juyeon added as her eyes straight onto the road and give the older girl a glance.

“It’s their break.” Jiyeon replied curtly.

“I wanna break too. Kim’s would be the last place I drive you to.” Juyeon stated.

“Hmm. Not a chance.” The older girl replied as her eyes gleaming devilish towards the driver. She received a glare from the younger girl.

“Dear god! Help me.” Juyeon groan.

.

.

.

tbc
.

It's been a long time yeah. I'm sorry. A lot of thing going on right now besides corona. Hope everyone doing fine. Stay safe and watch your mental health.