CHAPTER 1: A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL

Chained To A Fate Unknown

 

The blinding bright morning light peeking through the edge of the venetian blind, illuminating the room little by little. Lots of dirty laundries scatters on the floor near the dirty laundry basket instead of inside it. Books were unorganised, some were on the rack, some on the floor and some at the bed. A few bottles of empty soju can be seen at the table. Above all that, the owner of the room are comfortably sleeping without any disturbance under the warm blanket.

It was a chilly morning since the season will change again in a week, turning to winter. The silhouette continue on sleeping while tucking herself more into the mattress and embracing herself with the warm blanket. She was still in deep sleep and still unconsciously mapped the South Korea with her drool. Even the morning light that trying to reach her face were ignored, or the chirping bird outside her window. Until her ringing phone banging at the nightstand.

Initially, she wouldn’t even remove herself from the warm embrace of her blanket and continue on sleeping after letting the ringing stopped. She would just plug her ears with the pillow in case the phone are ring again. And it did for several time before stopped again without she answered it. However, the caller were persistent and keep on calling her after the owner didn’t pick up, making her annoyed.

“Hm?” She answer finally without looking who the caller are.

Where are you?” The caller asked.

“Home.” She replied shortly while checking who is calling her early in the morning. ‘Witch’

We were supposed to be discussing about the terms and conditions for the contract. What are you doing at home?”

“What? Can’t we discuss it later, I’m sort of busy right now.” She replied while getting lull by her blanket.

Busy sleeping? Be in front of my apartment in 45 minutes. Okay, bye! Safe driving!” the line suddenly went dead.

“UGHHHH!” she shouted into the mattress in frustration. The older girl has been driving her nuts lately. She always command her do things she wouldn’t think of doing, like waking up in the early morning just to meet her. It’s weekend for food sake, she should be sleep in till evening without worrying for class and playing games or drunk her off, cause its WEEKEND. Now, someone just demolish her weekend tradition and it’s not the first time. It’s three day’s in a row already and she couldn’t do anything about it. Like, literally.

She spent a few more minutes in her bed before reluctantly start her morning ritual albeit it’s too early. With the slight headache that she feel due to waking up too early after slept late, she take her time taking bath. After she finished, she brew herself a strong coffee to reduce her headache. It’s unhealthy but it’s working. The high amount of caffeine always let her mind be attentive, more concentrate especially with a situation like this. She takes her sweet moment to finish the coffee.

She started to move to the older girl place exactly 45 minutes after she received the call, and her clock shows it’s 7.05. She retrieve her car key and her wallet from the nightstand drawer including the phone which was laying on the bed. She step on many stuffs on her way out of her apartment. Even her living room look trash and don’t even look at the kitchen. There might be maggots, well actually there isn’t since she don’t really eat homecooked food. There just dirty dishes and again trash.

Anyway, she go straight to the apartment ground floor where the parking lot was provided by the administrator of the place. It’s convenience since she wouldn’t have to pay more taxes than she had too. All she have to do was pay the maintenance fee, and every miscellaneous fee. For all she care the services were provided without her seeking from another party. She start the engine and drive her way to her first destination for the day. A moment too soon, she arrived at the place since there were less traffic.

She take a glance towards her watch, 7.39. She is late. Really – really late. Without looking at her phone, she goes up and reached to her destination, The Witch Lair. Honestly, she didn’t want to enter the house if she can object it. She were driving slower than the ahjussi next door and even received a few complain about her driving speed since there shouldn’t have more hassle to drive faster within the limited speed during that moment. Clearly waiting for any change of plan from the witch.

She was gathering herself to face the woman who are currently muddling her monotone life. Always meddling with her personal stuff which successfully rendering her silently frustrated, every time they met. This time should be no exception. The woman already making her irritate even before meeting her face to face. This woman shouldn’t make her run out of her patience. Like, seriously. She’s proudly claim that she’s weird, a loner and genius to boot.

After so much contemplating whether she should ring the bell or just go back to her home. She’s not a fan of company and certainly not the witch that seriously trying to destroy her peace life. But she ring the bell anyway. She’s must be going crazy. Truthfully, she didn’t want to spend any more minutes outside any place but since she already decided to step away from her safe heaven, she should just meet her and be done with it.

After running her thought a few more times, in the end, she decided to ring the bell repeatedly without giving it a rest. And, in instant she was greeted by a beautiful woman in her mid-20th who still look youthful as ever. She has a coal-black hair with a pair of hypnotizing brown eyes. Her lips looks so glossy bright red lipstick. Even, the blusher looks natural on her face. The odd colour, light orange blusher. Everything, she put on are complementing her white skin. Including the sleeveless red dress.

“Why are you even wearing dress with this weather?” She asked out of blue as she help herself inside without the older girl permission first, more like pushing the older girl slightly to leave the cold environment.

“No reason. You are 49 minutes late. Where were you straying?” The older girl said passively as she is scrutinizing the younger girl closely.

“Nowhere.” She replied shortly as she make herself home by getting comfy at the couch. The residual cold in her skin are slowly dissipating due to the warm temperature of the house. She were trying to sleep again.

“No sleeping here. Sit properly and don’t get too comfy.” The older girl demand as she march toward where her kitchen located.

“What?” She exclaimed heatedly as the older girl just pass her. She can only let a weak sigh, too tired to start a fight. She lay he back straight to the couch while trying to rest her head as her headache are banging again.

“Honestly, where were you?” a voice asked along the americano aroma which was filling the entire space.

“As I said, nowhere. Was just driving to here.” She replied as she open her eyes slightly. She saw that the older girl was serving her a tray of American breakfast which consists of sausages, scramble eggs and bacon stripes along 2 cups of expresso.

“What’s with this?” she asked quizzically.

“Food. Stupid.” The older girl replied as she laugh slightly, putting the tray on the table.

“Uh… Okay.” She replied weirdly.

“Good. Let’s eat.” The older girl replied gratefully. She give the younger girl a plate of the breakfast portion that include all meals.

They spent their weekend morning with a silence breakfast and a refreshing high dose caffeine. After they finished, the young girl proceed to doing her part for the meals, cleaning the dishes. Although, the older girl complain to let just it be there, but she was one who was not comfortable if she was having something for free. So, she decided to at least clean the dishes while trying to get her head straight. That americano taste nice though. For a few moments she finished the chores.

“What do you want to discuss?” She asked as she make her way towards her earlier spot.

“The contract of course. We should have done this as soon as possible.” The older girl replied as she is looking at the younger.

“Right. Where do I need to sign?”

“Wait a moment. I’ll retrieve the document.” The older rise from her seat and walk elegantly to her office room.

“If you come the other day, you would have time to read this.” the older girl handed her a folder.

“I got class.”

“Night class?” the older girl asked incredulously as she is eyeing the younger with ‘Seriously’ look.

“More like class project.” She said while searching the signature box at every page, then sign it.

“You don’t want to know what you get yourself into? Seriously?” the older girl stated as a grin appear on her lips.

“You already tell me the gist of it. So, no need to waste both of our time for reading.” She replied nonchalantly.

“Good. Make things easier for me.” The older girl grinning widely.

“What’s with that look?” the younger girl looking uncomfortably toward the older girl as she handed back the document to the older girl.

“Nothing. I’m just smiling. Is it wrong to smile?” the older girl replied as she flash her full-blown wide gummy smile towards the younger girl.

“Creepy.”

“What?” the older girl replied playfully as she inspect every signed form.

“So, are we done?” the younger girl replied as she rest her head against the couch.

“For now.” The older girl answered as her eyes are still scanning for the signature section.

“Cool. Can I go home now?”

“Nope.” The older girl replied as she rise up again to put away the document to its original place, which is her safe chest.