I Know That It's Exciting Running Through The Night

The Case of A Skeptic and A Believer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byul sighs forlornly for the tenth time that night.

Yes, she's counting, because she's in pain and miserable all at the same time.

She's sitting on her bed, trying to coat her arm with ointment for sore muscles. Her legs, back, and arms hurt. The ointment doesn't feel like it's helping at all, it feels more like someone trying to burn her arm off.

In fact, her everything hurts, like a horde of horses stomped all over her back and forth while they neighed happily about it. It's probably because of her part time job at the diner near campus. Okay, it IS because of her part time job. Don't get her wrong, the customers and she swears her manager is some kind of devil incarnation or something similar to that, but the pay is good. Well, good enough that she can keep a roof over her head and fill her stomach with top notch quality instant noodle.

She urgently needs to find another job that doesn't run her off the ground but has sane work hours and good pay. That sounds like a fantasy for a college student drowning in debts like her. Absentmindedly rubbing her sore thigh, Byul scrolls down through the part time job seeking website that she opened on her phone. She holds off another sigh before it comes out of her lips, all of the job listed either has crazy work hours but good pay or common work hours but not-so-great-kinda-ty pay. Groaning, she falls back to her bed and closes her eyes. Maybe it will be better for her to just live in a cave. Pros: no debt. Cons: no technology whatsoever and she could die.

Yeah, right, she rather eats Sandeul's dish than living in a cave. And Sandeul at one point poisoned one of his roommates with his dish, so that's saying a lot.

Speaking about roommate, the blonde haired girl wonders about her roommate's whereabout. Ahn Hyejin is the perfect roommate, albeit a little eccentric. She pays the rent on time and once even covered for Byul's part when she lost her previous part time job. Although she keeps a big lion plushie named Lion near the entrance of their shared apartment, aside from that one thing Hyejin is really a good roommate and now is one of Byul's closest friends.

Seeing the calendar on her desk quickly, she realized that it's one of those days where Hyejin goes out with her friends to record for their YouTube channel. Byul doesn't know the details but Hyejin said that it's a mystery? horror? crimes? oriented channel and usually she's recording for hours 'investigating' run down or in shambles buildings that people said are haunted (which is funny because ghosts and demons aren't real). Surprisingly, according to Hyejin the channel has quite a big subscribers; around 300.000, and Byul has to be crazy because she thinks spending hours in empty building yet making money out of it sounds better than being in a diner getting yelled at by customers and glared at by her devil manager.

Perhaps Byul should recommend her workplace as the next place for Hyejin's channel investigation. Maybe they can find out whether her manager is really the devil or simply just an .

The clock's hands on her wall struck nine o'clock at night, which means her roommate is going to be back from her part time job as a Youtuber anytime now. Well, Byul is not sure if having a YouTube channel counts as a part time job or not but Hyejin always managed to pay her part of rent on time and eats a lot of good food unlike Byul who's friendly with instant noodle. Too friendly.

Getting lost in her thought, she almost misses the tell tale sound of the door of the apartment being unlocked and then opened, which rouses her from her defeated lie down post-part time job seeking earlier to get out of her room and greet Hyejin. She stretches out for a few seconds, finally ready to put on a happy face in front of her roommate despite her aching everything; but just as Byul opens her room door, Hyejin is already in front of the door to knock on Byul's door, which results in Hyejin's knuckle meets disastrously with Byul's face.

"OW, AHN HYEJIN," Byul squeals, her hand automatically covering her face.

Hyejin looks apologetic, but not that much because she knows Byul is kind of a drama queen. "Sorry, I thought you're asleep. Can we talk about something?"

The blonde glares playfully at her roommate. "You know damn well that I'm still awake at this hour, it's still afternoon to me. Sure, let's talk."

Hyejin laughs for a little bit, before ushering Byul to sit on the ugly mustard yellow sofa that Hyejin brought back to their apartment from somewhere questionable yet she hates it with all her passion and avoids sitting on it. Whatever Hyejin wants to talk about must be important, if she's willing to sit on the horrendous sofa to talk to Byul about.

Now that you mention it, Hyejin seems more weary than usual. Her eyes have that tired faraway look and her hair is messy in a way that says she just finished some hard work or just had an argument, while both of her hands are folded in front of her chest. She patiently waits for Byul to sit down, still being eerily silent.

"Oookay, so...," Byul drawls, starting the conversation. "Are you okay? Is there anything wrong?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter