upperclassmen

Of Cigarettes and Vanilla
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junhui burst through the door, sweat beading his forehead. “Wonwoo!”

 

The said boy spun on his chair, squinting his eyes at the disheveled boy. “What?” Junhui brushed him off, flung his bag on his bed, and sat down at his desk, which was parallel to Wonwoo’s. He eyed Junhui suspiciously, what did he trouble did he get into now? 

 

“Have you seen the new post on Mansae Mess?”

 

This earned him a chuckle from Wonwoo. “You mean that Pledis gossip website managed by that junior? Boo...Boo something..”

 

“Boo Seungkwan?”

 

“Yeah, him. What’d he stir up now?” 

 

Junhui didn’t respond and was instead intently staring at his laptop screen, fingers clicking feverishly on the keys. His eyebrows were knitted as he pulled up a poorly designed website. The website had a dusty brown background and comic sans font vomiting all over the screen. There was a hideous picture of Seungkwan puckering up on the header with a badly-designed logo of “Mansae Mess: Pledis’ Secret Side!” Junhui clicked his tongue at the ty UI on the website but paid no heed as he clicked on the latest post. 

 

“TY JUNIOR SEEN MAKING OUT WITH HIS NEWEST BOY TOY????” 

 

Intrigued, Wonwoo looked over his roommate’s shoulders and squinted at the screen. “Who?”

 

Placing a finger on his lips, Junhui shrugged. “Beats me. Boo blurred out his face anyway, so it’s not like I can recognize him.” 

 

Wonwoo looked closer at the blurred picture and could make out two (presumable) guys sprawled on top of each other, locked in a tight embrace and making out. Although any distinguishable facial features were blurred, he could see a faint outline of a black leather jacket with a vibrant red logo on the sleeve. Weird, he’d have to be on the lookout of such a jacket on campus. 

 

Junhui continued to scroll further and snickered at a “DONATE $10 FOR IDENTITY REVEAL” button at the center of the page. “God, he’s so desperate for revenue at this point. I wonder if he’d be willing to hire me for webdev...this site looks like it was made in prehistoric times.”

 

“Just like how Boo likes his men,” Wonwoo sneered, patting his friend’s shoulders before swiveling back to his desk. He smiled as he pulled out a book from the cupboard, opening up the page he bookmarked before Junhui interrupted him.

 

“Yo! Won!” He started tapping repeatedly on the boy’s shoulder. 

 

“What?” he snapped. Jun’s eyes widened, blowing a raspberry at him.

 

“Apparently Byun Baekhyun’s throwing a huge rave at his place to commemorate his last year in school tomorrow night. Boo says that if we’re anyone relevant on campus, we gotta be there.”

 

“You think I’m gonna listen to some junior on the internet who’s notorious for spreading false information?”

 

“He’s your upperclassman, give him some respect.” A familiar voice called from the door. The duo simultaneously turned and was greeted by a short brown-haired boy. 

 

Lee Chan was 17 years old but was a freshman in college due to his genius brain. A math major with a minor in physics, he somehow managed to strike a balance between an active social life and his academics. Wonwoo would always be in awe when he saw the younger’s name on the Dean’s honor’s list, knowing the younger was probably out the night before his exams grinding on some chick at the club. 

 

He stood by the door, arms crossed and a grin plastered on his oval face. “Don’t tell me you’re not going, Wonwoo. The reason why I came to Pledis was its insane party scene!” 

 

“How’d you even get inside? Jun, didn’t you lock the door?”

 

“Yes….well, I think.” Junhui conceded, quickly spinning back to his laptop. 

 

Wonwoo rolled his eyes and continued. “Well, you came for the wrong reasons, Chan. I’m not going to some dumb party-- who knows, y’all might get busted by the cops one day seeing as everyone leaves Pledis parties high as .” Wonwoo remarked, turning back to his book. Chan sighed as he shut the door and threw himself on Junhui’s bed. 

 

“Shoes.” The Chinese deadpanned, eyes still skimming through the website, soaking in more logistics of the party. Sighing, the younger slid off his Converses and chucked them at the door. It landed with a soft thud.

 

There was silence for a bit before Junhui let out an exasperated groan. “Come on, Wonwoo! Who knows, maybe you might find your future employer at the party! Go out and network!”

 

“Junhui, I’m not going to throw my resume at a bunch of stoned college students.” 

 

“Agreed,” Junhui nodded, sending a pleading look to Chan. The freshman could always find a way to convince his firm-minded childhood friend. 

 

“Look at it this way--your sophomore year’s already off to a ty start,” Chan said, propping himself on his elbows. “And you know how you can fix ty things? Getting laid.”

 

“Boom, mind blown.” Junhui motioned, eyes bewildered. Wonwoo spun his chair to face the two. “You’re really rubbing in the fact that I’m a 19-year-old , huh?”

 

“Rubbing it in,” Junhui snickered, earning a kick to the shin from Wonwoo. “Ow, Won what the hell? See, you’re clearly vexed by the fact you’re still a you’re taking it out on me.”

 

Amused by the scene before him, Chan smirked. “How about this-- Wonwoo, I’ll give you $200 if you end up getting laid at Byun’s party.”

 

Wonwoo’s ears perked up

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter