new acquaintances

the days we shared together (hiatus)

As the group settles inside the sixties diner themed cafe Vernon picked which was famous for their hamburgers. Yeri passes by the slient boys and takes a seat by the window booth. Hendery follows her example and does the same, he sits next to her. Lucas, enamored by the pretty waitress working, moves towards her direction to talk with her for a bit. Vernon leaves him there to gawk at the beautiful worker, while he joins Yeri and Hendery at the booth. He slips inside the booth opposite to their side. Annoyed by the eerie awkward silence, Yeri picks up one of the menus lying on the table and starts looking for what she wants to eat. Hendery and her both contemplate what they might order, while Vernon just sits there staring into oblivion.

A few moments later, Lucas approaches the booth and smoothly slips inside, smiling cheekily. "Guess who got another number?"

Hendery turns to face him, "Poor woman. Just imagine all of those annoying texts she's about to get..."

"Bite your tongue, girls love me."

"Yeah, girls. Not women. She probably just handed you a fake number so you would leave her alone," Hendery mocks him, which makes Yeri giggle as she's perusing the menu.

Lucas turns to Vernon, "he's joking, right?" By this time, Vernon escaped the trance he was in and reacted by putting his hand over Lucas's shoulders comforting him. "Oh.My.God. You think it's fake too?" His voice jumps in volume, making the whole group laugh in unison. "Yeri, what do you think?"

Yeri puts the menu down for the first time, "I doubt any female would willingly give you her number."

It's funny, I say that now.

Grazed by her subtle stab, Lucas downs one of the glasses of water one of the workers left at our table. The water mainly traveled into his mouth, but the speed he drank it in caused a few drops to slip out of glass and onto the sides of his cheeks, as they trickled down his flawless jawline.

But on occasions, even I sometimes would want to feel his well-toned muscles and run the palm of my hands over his abs and pelvis area-

OMG, would am I saying. Quick. Think about something sad. Famine. Diasters.

"Yeri?" Hendery waves his hand in front of her face, "hm?" she snaps out of it. "Are you okay?" he confirms.

"Yeah, your cheeks look a little flushed." Lucas, the person she was just daydreaming about, adds.

"I'm fine, it's just a bit hot in here." She fans herself with her right hand, then using the menu as a substitute. Vernon, not believing her a bit, studies her nervous expression. She catches his transparent gaze, and mouths 'what' to him, eliciting a pout and slight head shake from him.

One of the waitresses reluctantly approaches their table to take their orders. Hendery repeats what each of them is getting to the waitress. She gladly takes his attention, while Lucas naturally looks for the waitress he hit on. "Okay, we'll get your food started. Is there anything else I can get for you?" she daringly bats her eyes at Hendery and Vernon when they show her any interest. "No, thank you." Vernon smiles at her as his attention returns back to his friends. "That lady checked you both out. Why didn't one of you get her number?" Lucas nudges their feet underneath the table.

"Because they're not you," Yeri comments. Peeved by Yeri's remark, Lucas childishly copies her condescending remark and tosses it back at her using a stupid tone. Annoyed by his immature behavior, Yeri asks Hendery to get up so she can use the bathroom. As she's exiting the booth, Lucas provokes her, "you're not going to cry, right?" She looks back at him and then glances at Vernon.
Understanding her expression well enough, he sits up straight and turns his body to face Lucas. Taking him by shock, Vernon boxes Lucas right in his gut. He winces from the pain momentarily, then looks up at Vernon in confusion. "Sorry, man, you just had it coming today."
Vernon runs his fingers, threw his luscious black hair as he sits back down. Yeri, satisfied, watches this happen as she strolls towards the girls' room.


As Yeri is washing her hands, she looks up at the mirror facing her and tries to fix her eyeliner, which has smudged a bit from her laughing. She contemplates fixing her makeup or just touching it up a bit.

A little of color can't hurt, I guess.

She reaches into her purse and grabs her favorite light red rouge, dabs a bit of it on her upper and bottom lip.

Yeri thinks back to what Vernon did for her without her having to ask, makes her giddy. Knowing she can always count on him to shut Lucas up, makes a smile flash on her tinted lips.

As she thinks to herself, she continues to fix her hair and straighten out her outfit. This morning she left her house with a burgundy laced halter top, matching her favorite navy blue waist-high jeans. Yeri had brought a sheer cardigan with her but left it at the booth. Once she felt she looked decent enough again, she left the restroom. Upon exiting the bathroom, she noticed a figure leaning on the opposite side of the wall.

"Vernon?" she called out to him as he turned to face her. "What are you doing here?" Yeri asks.

His deep brown eyes studied her solemnly, noticing that her makeup had been touched up and the addition of her luscious plump lips, which looked delicious. He looked down at her feet and then back at her face. Yeri waited for him to start speaking.

His lips opened suddenly, "number two?" he raised his hand, signing out the V sign with his two fingers.

Taken back by his question, her eyes grew in size, and her cheeks flushed from the embarrassment. "No! You're so gross," she said, making her escape towards the seating area. Her reaction caused him to laugh. Vernon liked to always just a bit because her reactions turned out to be priceless. Annoyed by his response, she took the chance to walk back to their booth. Vernon took two steps in front of her path, grabbing her left wrist and attention. "Hold on," he got serious, "we haven't had a chance to talk about what happened back there."

"about what?!" Yeri was clearly annoyed by his sudden need to discuss their feelings. and his grip on her. "Look, it's fine. Let's just go back, okay?" She tried releasing his grip and directing him back to the seating area. "Yeri, I think you should listen to me!" he appealed, pulling her back to stand in the cramped hallway space. Labeling the space, they were standing in as narrow didn't even do it justice. The hallway's width was so tight and only big enough for two bodies to stand in between.

"Vernon, please. It was embarrassing enough seeing you two stand there in shock."

"...we didn't know how to react."

"you don't say."

"I'm sorry, I should-we should have been more sensitive towards you and-"

"I'm over it! drop it."

"Yeri, it's not something to be ashamed of."

"Wait...? what did you just say?"

Vernon stepped closer towards her, initially closing the gap between them. "You don't have to feel embarrassed about being a ."

"How close were you listening? I'm not ashamed. Why—are you?"

"Yeri...I'm not-"

 

"ASHAMED?" She steps even closer to face Vernon, their bodies are practically touching, being so close to each other.

 

"...a ."

Her jaw dropped, and her eyebrows raised up. Her face stayed in the same agape expression for a few seconds. Vernon regretted admitting it to her, "we weren't really eavesdropping," he said, attempting to break the awkward silence. Her eyes darted up into his. "When?" her question rattled him, not knowing where to look, whether to face her straight. "When, what?" he knew what she meant.

"When did you lose it?"

"Yeri, telling you won't help. Losing your ity isn't a competition."

"VERNON!"

"17! I was 17!" when she yells at him like this, he can't help but submit.

"I know Lucas is a manwhore, but what about Hendery?" she closes in on him.

"I'm not telling you!" he says, trying to push her away with his hands.

"HANSOL!" She screeched using his birth name.

"Yeri! I don't know! I don't go around memorizing the ages my friends lost their ities."

"So, Hendery too?!"

"Please calm down!"

". . . I need to get laid."

"Wait. WHAT?"

"Yeah, that's it. I've decided," she steps back, breaking the close distance between them. Anxiously, Vernon's eyes grow gradually.

"DECIDED WHAT? What's happening? I'm so lost right now."

"I'm going to lose my ity," she says, watching Vernon's reaction.

" . . . "

"why aren't you saying anything?"

"because words are really dangerous right now."

Yeri proceeds to smile like a cheshire cat and starts walking back to their booth. Vernon follows after her, "what are you thinking about right now?" he says, pacing behind her.

"I'm going to pick the guy."


As they walked back to their booth, they noticed a few figures circled around the booth. Lucas saw the two returning from the hallway and waved, "dude, look who it is!"

The figures turned around one by one. There were about eight of them seated or standing by the booth where their friends were at.

"sunbae?!" Vernon recognized each of them.

One of the taller members stood up for a second and waved at him. "What's up, Ver!"

"Johnny, dude!"

Another one of them broke from the group and headed towards Vernon. "Bring it in, DiCaprio!" the older boy pulled Vernon in for an affectionate hug. "Seungchol-hyung! What up, man!" Vernon returned his affection.

Seated near the booth were Yuta, Joshua, and Jeonghan. Woozi, Taeyong, and Jaehyun stood nearby Johnny.

They were all handsome. Yeri didn't know how to react, because she only knew Johnny and Jaehyun from her classes. Being the nice guy that he was, Seungchol greeted Yeri with a dorky smile and slight bow.

One of the boys, Yuta, stood up and walked over towards her. "I thought you looked familiar! You're Jaemin's twin sister, aren't you?"

Yeri had felt more relieved when she realized she wasn't amongst all strangers. Someone who knew her twin brother had recognized her.
"Yes, I am. You know my brother?"
"Of course, I guess you could say he's a part of our afterschool club. Taeyong knows him too." He said as he slightly nodded at one of the guys. "My name's Yuta, by the way. Nakamoto Yuta."
"Kim Yeri," she exchanged her name.

"You already know Jaehyun, and the one standing next to Johnny is Taeyong." The young man he pointed to was strikingly handsome at first sight with exceptional facial features compared to most.