A reason to smile

A REASON TO SMILE

Irene thought that a second child will make her life happier. Instead of happiness, she brought the adopted child in hell. She and her husband, well mostly she, because he was too busy, decided to adopt a little four years old boy named Yesung. The kid was cute and so well behaved. She thought that her son Hoshi will be happy to have a brother but she was so wrong. Time didn’t heal Hoshi’s hate and now after three months, things aren’t better.

 

Five years old Hoshi hates Yesung and so does her husband. They are having breakfast right now and Hoshi started to tug on Yesung’s hair. The little one doesn’t want to cry but it really hurts. He wants to push Hoshi away but it only made the boy angrier. 

 

“Daddy! He hurt me!”

 

His father immediately put his phone aside and frowns on the small boy.

 

“Leave Hoshi alone! He is much better than you!”

 

He grabs Yesung’s small arm and drags him to the corner of the living room. He added few smacks on his small bottom and goes to finish his food while Hoshi grins. Irene tried to stop them from treating Yesung like this but she knows about her husband’s love affairs with his secretary and she is scared that he could leave her if she stands up for Yesung. After breakfast, Hoshi runs to play while his father left. The boy runs in the living room and smirked after seeing Yesung standing in the corner. Irene comes to play with Hoshi and told to Yesung that he doesn’t need to stand in the corner for naughty boys. Hoshi is playing with his mom and started to cry when Yesung wants to join them. Yesung quickly went away and sat down in the empty hallway. He is watching them playing and Irene asks Hoshi if Yesung can’t play with them. Hoshi shook his head and frowned on his mother while pointing on Yesung.

 

“He is trash!”

 

Yesung hangs his head low after hearing him and continues playing with the only toy Hoshi didn’t take away from him which is an old teddy bear. Hoshi cries whenever his mom turns to Yesung and possessively holds her hand. Yesung is used to this, he was adopted before and never had a real family but it still makes him sad. He wants a mommy who would tuck him in a bed, give him kisses and play with him but maybe he just doesn’t deserve it. 

 

Sunday came and Hoshi and his dad are going to a ZOO like every Sunday. Yesung can’t go with them, they usually leave him alone at home for the whole day but today Irene woke him up really early and quickly helped him to get dressed. Irene has already packed his things in his old small suitcase and gets him in their car. Yesung is still sleepy and doesn’t know where are they going so early, moreover, why are they alone? Irene is driving and still repeats to herself that she can’t cry. Yesung is looking out of the window and thinks that he recognizes the scenery outside and then the car stopped and he knows where they are. The car is standing in front of an orphanage where he lives since being born. Irene grabs his suitcase and picked him up. Sunmi, the main caregiver, is already waiting for them. She is trying to act strong while watching Irene putting the boy down. 

 

“Please …”

 

Yesung grabs the hem of Irene’s coat and doesn’t want to let go of her.

 

“Please don’t leave.”

 

Sunmi takes Yesung’s second hand and wants to get him away from the woman before she will cry. Sunmi pries off his small fingers from the woman’s coat and Irene ran out of the building. Sunmi takes his bag and sighed.

 

“I know one good boy who is going to get milk and cookies.”

 

Yesung is crying and doesn’t care about cookies. He didn’t like Hoshi or his new father but he loved Irene. Sunmi takes him in the kitchen and handed him a cookie and then leads him to his old room. The orphanage is only half full, so she has time to stay with him for a while. She is rubbing his back and Yesung cries his small heart out. She sees few bruises on the small boy but Irene told her about the problems which caused that she took him back only two weeks before Christmas. Yesung cries himself to the point where he passed out and Sunmi tucked him in the bed before going to unpack his suitcase. This is breaking her heart, she really wants to find the best family for him but it always fails. Sunmi his black hair and sighed. She has to try harder to make him happy.

 

Heechul knows that Christmas is coming and he buys few bags full of candies and toys and heads to an orphanage from where he adopted his three sons Siwon, Ryeowook, and Kyuhyun. Sunmi is always happy to see him because they became friends. Heechul gave her the bags and she is sure that the kids will have a merry Christmas. Heechul looks around the playroom where are more than twenty kids playing and having fun. Suddenly his eyes caught a small boy sitting alone. Heechul loves kids but also knows what his husband said - three kids are enough. Sunmi sees him watching the boy and smiled. This is her chance to find a good family for Yesung.

 

“Yesung was already adopted by six families but they always sent him back because of different reasons. He isn't a brat, he is just unlucky.”

 

Heechul’s heart hurts and then the boy raised his head and Heechul is lost. The boy looks so sad. Heechul bites his lips and then goes to speak with him. Only three minutes are enough for Heechul to know that he must adopt him. Yesung is shocked when the man picked him up and goes to Sunmi. He is discussing the adoption with her and Sunmi doesn’t need to prolong this, she knows Heechul and Leeteuk very well. Yesung is confused when the man grabbed his small bag and then carried him in a car. Heechul buckled the boy in a car seat and started to drive. Siwon and Ryeowook are at school and Kyuhyun is with his mother so he has a few hours he can spend only with Yesung.

 

“I know that I am a stranger but we are going to give you a good home.”

 

Heechul sighed when he got no answer and drives home. Leeteuk is working so Heechul has time to create a plan how to announce the news to him. Leeteuk thinks that three kids are enough so Heechul has to soften up his heart. They arrived home and Heechul leads the small boy inside their house. He shows him everything and then leads him to an empty room where is only one bed. This is going to be Yesung’s room but Heechul needs to fix this unused room.

 

“What about taking a nap while I prepare some snack?”

 

Yesung shrugged and watches Heechul who left. Yesung isn’t sure if he can touch the bed. Hoshi always beat him for sleeping in his bed, he just waited for his mother to tuck them in and then he forced Yesung to sleep on the floor. Yesung isn’t sure if someone comes to kick him out of the bed so he sat down on the floor and opened his suitcase. He knows that it is useless to unpack his few things, soon they are going to send him back. Yesung grabs his old stuffed bunny. If you press the bunny’s tummy, it says I love you in a high pitched voice. This bunny is Yesung’s biggest treasure but unfortunately one of the bunny’s ears is soon going to fall off because Hoshi liked to tug on it. However, Yesung doesn’t mind it and hugs the bunny and looks around the room. He doesn’t understand why did the man take him. He usually had to wait for a long time to find a new family.

 

Heechul downstairs glanced on the clock and sees that his husband is going to come very soon. Leeteuk is going to bring their sons home and then he will probably work a bit in his small music studio. Leeteuk is a composer and owns a music company but he often finishes his work at home so he can help Heechul with taking care of their sons. Heechul sighed and finished preparing pizza rolls. Suddenly he sees Leeteuk’s car approaching the house and he got ready to introduce his husband to their new son.

 

Leeteuk entered the house with his three sons running to their mom. Yesung hears the loud noises and voices coming from downstairs and silently sneaks out of the room. He stands at the top of the staircase and watches the kids hugging their mom. Suddenly Yesung makes eye contact with Leeteuk whose eyes widened after seeing the small boy.

 

“Ohh Heechul, why are you doing this to me?”

 

Heechul looked up and sees their new son. Leeteuk rubs the bridge of his nose and Heechul hurries to Yesung.

 

“Everyone, this is Yesung. He is four years old so be nice to him.”

 

Heechul leads Yesung downstairs and pointed at his kids.

 

“This is Siwon and he is seven years old, this is Ryeowook and he is also seven years old and this is Kyuhyun and he is five years old.”

 

Yesung doesn’t say anything and only hides behind Heechul when he turned to the tall man.

 

“And this is your new appa or daddy.”

 

Leeteuk looked down at the small boy and sighed again.

 

“Heechul, I said that three kids are enough and you bring him without me knowing about it.”

 

Heechul picked up the small boy and showed him to Leeteuk.

 

“I know, but can you say no to these sad eyes?”

 

Leeteuk knows how hard it is to be in an orphanage and looks at the clearly scared boy. Leeteuk tries to act tough but then broke down when he sees the pain and fear in Yesung’s eyes.

 

“Come here, son.”

 

Leeteuk carefully takes him from Heechul and holds him on his hip. Siwon runs to his daddy and stares at the new boy and at his worn-out stuffed bunny. He slowly reached his hand to Yesung but Yesung is four years old, he has no idea that Siwon wants to shake hands with him. Siwon learned this from his daddy and now looks like a small businessman when he wants to shake hands with everyone he meets. Yesung hides his face behind his bunny and shakes in fear so Leeteuk Siwon’s hair and told him to wait until Yesung gets comfy. He goes into the kitchen and hands one pizza roll to Yesung. Leeteuk can clearly see that Yesung didn’t have luck with his previous family. There are few new and few fading bruises on his body and he looks scared of them. Heechul pours a glass of juice to everyone and smiles at his husband. The kids had a snack and run in their playroom. Leeteuk put Yesung down and leads him in the playroom so they can play together to break the ice. Leeteuk decided to head in IKEA right now to buy things for Yesung’s room and Heechul stays at home to look after the kids. Heechul is calm and thinks that his sons are okay but unfortunately, Ryeowook isn’t happy to have a new brother. Siwon is polite and kind to everyone so he doesn’t mind having a new little brother, Kyuhyun simply doesn’t care and only Ryeowook hates Yesung. The boys are playing and Yesung hesitantly joins them. He grabs an Iron man figure and Ryeowook fully lost it. He started to angrily scream and fell down on the soft carpet while kicking his legs around. Heechul runs to see what happened and immediately recognized that Ryeowook is throwing a tantrum. The boy does this quite often when he wants attention or something he just throws a tantrum to get what he wants. 

 

“Ryeowook, we share toys in this house.”

 

The boy throws his head back and started to scream on top of his lungs. Heechul winced because of the screaming which is killing his ears and Yesung quickly let go of the toy. He tightly holds his bunny and dashes out of the playroom. Ryeowook immediately stopped crying after seeing the toy lying on the floor and smirked but Heechul got mad. They are trying to fix this part of Ryeowook’s behavior and now the boy hurt his brother’s feelings.

 

“Park Ryeowook!”

 

Ryeowook got scared and wants to cuddle with his mommy but Heechul crossed his arms over his chest.

 

“Ryeowook, he is your brother. Why are you acting like this? Why are you hurting him?”

 

Ryeowook is silent while Siwon and Kyuhyun watch him getting scolded. They also hate when Ryeowook throws a tantrum because then their parents are mad. Ryeowook sobs and tries to act cute to avoid getting punished but Heechul is stern and doesn’t hug him.

 

“Go in the corner and think about what you did. You can’t hurt the feeling of other people without consequences.”

 

Heechul continues in lecturing his sons about how they can’t bully Yesung because he is new and the smallest of them and doesn’t know that his husband is back. When Leeteuk opened the front door he immediately hears the yelling and crying. He recognized that it is Ryeowook who is acting like a brat again and he sighed.

He goes to see what is going on and finds Yesung silently crying and sitting on the first step on the stairs. Leeteuk smiles at him and sat down.

 

“Do you want to see the cool things I bought for you?”

Yesung doesn’t look at him so the man goes to get the boxes from the car and carried everything upstairs in the empty room. After a while, he hears soft steps behind his back and smiled.

 

“Good thing that you came, I need a smart helper.”

 

Leeteuk starts to put the furniture together and the smart helper is busy with the bubble wrap while still holding his bunny. Siwon joined them because he is annoyed by crying Ryeowook and helps his dad while also peeking at the new brother. Yesung is occasionally pressing the bunny’s tummy to hear the high-pitched I love you and Leeteuk is fighting with tears. He knows how a kid feels when they keep changing families and no one wants them, Leeteuk knows that hearing I love you is the biggest treasure for abandoned kids. Leeteuk built Yesung’s new and safer bed for toddlers, he also bought a carpet with jungle and animals, and later they are going to turn the room into Yesung’s little jungle. Leeteuk smiles at Yesung who looks amazed by his new room and Leeteuk pats his back.

 

“What about taking a bath before dinner?”

 

Yesung only looked at him and Leeteuk takes him in the bathroom. He starts to run the bath and turned around to undress the boy but Yesung is already struggling with taking off his T-shirt and pants and Leeteuk waits if he asks for help. He doesn’t know that his previous dad got mad and punished him when he asked for anything so now Yesung isn’t going to ask for help. After a few minutes, Leeteuk stepped in and took off Yesung’s T-shirt so the prepared bath won’t get cold. He picks his small son up and sat him down in the warm water with pink bubbles. Leeteuk hears Heechul fighting with Kyuhyun and Ryeowook but they are in the second bathroom so no one will disturb Yesung. 

 

“Here, don’t worry Ryeowook won’t come.”

 

Leeteuk smiles and hands few bath toys to Yesung who keeps checking that his bunny is waiting for him on the bathroom counter next to the basin. Leeteuk’s cheeks are hurting from smiling so much but he knows how does it feel to come to a strange house full of completely new people. He believes that smiling is the best way how to make someone feel comfortable. 

 

Yesung doesn’t care about the toys so Leeteuk takes the soft washcloth and washes Yesung’s small body. He is angry when he has to run the washcloth over the bruises and scratches but he knows that from now Yesung’s life is going to be great. Leeteuk wrapped Yesung in a big fluffy towel and only the boy’s head and black hair peeking out. Leeteuk carried him in the main bedroom because they have few boxes with their boys' clothes hidden in the walk-in-closet. Leeteuk laid Yesung down on the wide bed and goes to find some pajama for him. He saw Yesung’s old clothes and his son won’t wear such rags.

 

Heechul with Kyuhyun and Ryeowook walked out of the bathroom which is connected to the main bedroom and smiles when he spotted his little boy. Heechul is always so overprotective, he is going to pamper Yesung until he gets more comfortable with them and gets more lively. Leeteuk dressed Yesung in a warm red pajama with ladybugs and doesn’t even remember which son wore it. The family goes downstairs and Heechul cooked quick Mac and cheese. They are eating and then the three boys run to watch the TV and Yesung is still stuffing his cheeks. Yesung discovered that he gets as much food as he wants but after the third scoop of the pasta, Heechul shakes his head no and told that he might feel sick. He doesn’t want to see Yesung in pain because of too much full stomach and Yesung quickly apologized for asking for more. This broke Heechul’s heart and he quickly put so much Mac and cheese on the plate that it is falling off. Leeteuk gives him a disapproving look but has to admit that Yesung looks very hungry, or he might just love the pasta so much. After such a huge dinner Yesung started to fall asleep while sitting in the warm kitchen so Heechul carefully picked him up and carried him upstairs. He tucked Yesung in his new bed and then the night light in the shape of a star. They don’t know what makes their new son scared but many kids are scared of the dark and the night light might help.

 

Yesung is asleep and Heechul put the bunny under his arm. He silently left the room and goes downstairs to watch the TV with his boys. Soon everyone is lying in bed and Heechul quickly fell asleep, only Leeteuk can’t sleep. Whenever they adopted new child Leeteuk’s bad memories from his childhood appear. Leeteuk is twisting in the bed and tries to find the best position which could allow him to get some sleep. After two hours of desperate waiting for sleep, Leeteuk gave up and got up. He wants to get some water when he hears whimpers coming from Yesung’s bedroom. Leeteuk quickly opened the door and hurries to the bed.

Yesung is curled into a small ball and cries while occasionally whimpering in pain.

 

“What is wrong?”

 

Leeteuk easily picked his small son up and put his palm on Yesung’s forehead. He doesn’t have a fever so Leeteuk can be calm again. 

 

“Are you sad?”

 

Yesung nodded a bit and Leeteuk bounces him in his arms.

 

“Do you know that we love you? You are an important part of our gang.”

 

Leeteuk smiles a bit and wants to lay him back in the bed but suddenly Yesung choked and threw up. Leeteuk knew that this will happen - Yesung ate too much and felt sick. Now Leeteuk needs to wash Yesung’s face and changed their clothes. Leeteuk is starting to feel tired and carried Yesung downstairs where he poured a bit of apple juice in a sippy cup and handed it to his son. Yesung on the drink which hushed away last rests of the foul taste of vomits in his mouth and Leeteuk drinks a glass a water before he carried Yesung in the main bedroom. He is silent because the last thing he wants is to wake up Heechul. Leeteuk slowly laid Yesung in the middle of the bed and then lay down too. He takes the empty sippy cup from him and covers them with a blanket. Leeteuk Yesung’s hair and makes sure that he is holding his bunny. Yesung feels so good like this, he can’t explain why or how he is feeling but it is so good. He is warm, there is a soft hand his hair and then also half-sleeping Heechul pressed closer to the small boy and Yesung sighed. Leeteuk is watching how is sleep wining over Yesung and after a moment his son fell asleep. Leeteuk smiles and closes his eyes to quickly fall asleep too. The bad memories are gone now when he knows that everything is going to be good. They are going to give Yesung a reason to smile.