In the hospital

Voice

2 years ago

I heard a pair of clacking heels slowly getting louder until it reached the entrance of my office before disappearing and getting replaced by three consecutive knocks.

“Come on in,” I responded.

The door squeaked, right on time for me to tear my eyes off the pile of paper works that already made itself a tower on my table.

A woman that looks around in her mid-thirties, dressed in formal suit and high heels just enough to tower another person behind her back gave a warm smile on my direction.

“I believe you’ve been expecting us Doctor Kang,” the woman started.

I smiled in return.

“Yes, it was a surprise that I personally received a call from the Director. It’s an honor to meet you and of course,” I tilted my head on the side as if trying to peek on the petite girl behind the formal woman.

“Oh! Please excuse my behavior. I suddenly forgot the introduction. I got lost in those sharp eyes of yours that-“

I smiled awkwardly, trying my best not to let the compliment rise into my head.

“So, you’re the famous new doctor that every nurse in this hospital has begun chirping on about,” the girl behind the high-heeled woman took a step on her right. She stared at me with piercing eyes and lips so straight that would leave people stun in intimidation.

Before I could open my mouth to respond, the said girl made her way to my desk before slamming her not so tiny hands on my table.

“The name is Bae Joohyun. And you have six months to heal me Doctor. Or else, you’re fired.”

 

Enigmatic is the perfect word to describe Joohyun. She’s this mysterious girl that you thought you’ve already figured out but will toss you back to square one with just a snap. She’s the daughter of the Chairman of the prestigious hospital I’ve been attending and to say that she has everything in life is true except for one, health.

She gave me six months to be her doctor or rather, her parents had entrusted her to my care. I don’t know how much they’ve heard about me but the rumors must have crawled like vine around the hospital and before I knew it, I was chosen out of all the old and veteran doctors.

I didn’t mind it at all. I felt proud that I have been given such rare trust and opportunity, but I never thought that the VIP patient that I’d be attending is the daughter of the Chairman. It made me so tense and nervous but right after meeting Joohyun, the jitters all came melting.

I enjoyed her company; she’s not the usual depressed girl who fears for her life nor she was the type who pretends to be happy and okay when she’s not. She’s an honest girl who clearly knows what she wants. Aside from her ethereal looks, her intelligence cannot be underestimated. She understands all medical terms though she’s not even a medical student. Perks of being raised in a hospital, I guess.

Joohyun was born with a weak body. Researched had shown that her cells don’t regenerate as fast as what is deemed normal and the process is taking a toll on her body. When I met Joohyun, results had shown that she only has six months to live. Knowing that, her parents had decided to entrust Joohyun to me as per their daughter’s request.

I didn’t understand it at first. They could’ve sent her abroad and get her treated. Financial issue is out of the question and the level of connection won’t have any say either. It was only after spending time with my enigmatic patient that I understood what she needs.

Joohyun never wanted to get treated.

“You didn’t come to me to get healed. Why did you even choose me to be your Doctor?”

It has been a month since that memorable first meeting and here I was with Joohyun on the hospital’s rooftop, taking all the view that the city has to offer. The place has planted shrubs and miniature trees beside a man-made fountain, perfect for patients who desire fresh breath of air while having the picturesque view of the busy city.

“Cause you’re a popular doctor and I enjoy the jealous stares I get from all the nurses and patients whenever you’d take me out for walks,” Joohyun replied honestly while she tries to balance herself on a beam of the fountain.

“You’re also good at painting, right? I’m so jealous. You must have been fully awake carrying a bucket outside your home when all the talents had been sprinkled on Earth,” Joohyun chirped as she continued to play balance beside the fountain.

“I’m not perfect Joohyun. More importantly, how did you even know that about me?” I inquired curiously. I was sitting on a bench across her, focusing all my attention to on the girl in front..

“Given the opportunity, I’ll gift you with a sketchpad, doctor. So you can paint me even when I’m gone,” Joohyun stated as if she had the future all figured out.

 “Have you already given up on life Joohyun?”

I sensed Joohyun froze for a split second before she continued entertaining herself with her crazy antics.

“Given up on life. That’s a big word Doctor Kang. Aren’t you supposed to feed me with all the motivational quotes that you know, hoping that a single one would at least knock some sense in me?” Joohyun jumped from where she was a while ago and began leaning on my shoulder.

“I’ve already tried that the first week we’ve been together. It took me a while to realize that words like those will only be wasted if the patient doesn’t even have any hope for herself.”

I heard Joohyun’s chuckle before feeling her weight removed on my side.  I thought she went back to the fountain, but she caught me off guard when she suddenly laid down her head on my lap, making herself comfortable as if she is on her personal bed.

“You’re no jam doctor. And I thought my last days on Earth would be filled with rainbows and butterflies having you by my side,” Joohyun reached out her hands on me and began caressing my left cheek.

“People will get the wrong idea if they see us in this position Joohyun. If you want to sleep, we can head back to your room,” I was about to stand up and remove our contact, but she gripped on my wrist so tightly it began to hurt.

“Have you ever fallen in love Seulgi?” It was one of the rare occasions that Joohyun would call me by my first name instead of ‘Doctor’. It’s not that I mind since she only says that when we’re alone.

“Have you Joohyun?” I returned her question, earning a pout that I can’t help but find cute.

“No,” she replied curtly.

“You have a lot of admirers though. I bet if you walk down the streets you will find a platoon forming behind your back,” I half-joked.

“Then do you find me attractive as well?” she pierced a gaze so sharp I wasn’t able to dodge and felt my cheek heating up on the question. I glanced away but said the truth anyway.

“Of course. Anybody would find you beautiful,” I mumbled, trying my best to sound normal as possible.

I noticed Joohyun’s smirk followed by a deafening silence of half comfort and awkwardness.

“Then do you want to date me?”

I felt my heart skipped a beat and the sudden question made me turn to her with wide eyes and expression so shocked one would think I got electrocuted.

A triumphant smile made its way on Joohyun’s face and I can’t fathom how she was able to say words like it was water making way on someone’s throat.

“I’ve always liked that shocked expression of yours Seulgi,” Joohyun chimed before getting up on her feet. She made a few stretches before turning to me with a wide grin.

“But you’d probably dump me, right? Making up reasons about ethics or professional relationship or something,” Joohyun began taking her steps back inside the hospital.

It was in that exact moment that I thanked Joohyun in my head for making those reasons for me. But it was also in that moment that a thought squirmed helplessly in my mind all the way down on my tightening heart.

‘Who cares about ethics anyway?’

 

Days quickly went into past no matter how much I silently hoped the clock would stop ticking. It would be a different case if Joohyun would at least tell me her fears and would decide with full conviction that she wants to live a little longer but the fact that it was the other way around gave me sleepless nights. Even Seungwan noticed the bags under my eyes whenever we would meet in the morning. She had been busy practicing for an audition she’d been waiting for years and I can’t possibly distract her on getting one step to her dream job.

Seungwan had always been a bright student even during our school days. She had lived to her parent’s expectations as a filial child and successfully landed a job grander than decent. She had provided enough for her family and after her siblings graduated and landed on great jobs, Wendy had decided to pursue her passion. Some people would have already given up on their dreams once stepping into adulthood and touching the reality of life but Seungwan had always looked straight ahead on her goal no matter what situation she was into.

Seeing Seungwan face her battles like that gave me the courage to also do my part, even though at that time, I knew I shouldn’t have stepped on the line so clearly, thickly and obviously drawn.

I took Irene out and brought her in a café that Seungwan and I frequent. It was late in the afternoon and I knew better the time of the day where the least customers are entering the shop.

“How nice of you to take me out on a date, doctor,” Joohyun commented before taking a sip of her hot espresso.

I kept mum for a few seconds before letting out some words after gaining the courage to do so.

“Tell me something about your dream Joohyun,” I asked but sounded of more like commanding.

Joohyun lifted her gaze from her drink and glared at me like I’m the most notorious criminal in the whole world. It took a few minutes of silence before Joohyun finally understood that I was not joking nor making fun of her from my question.

“I don’t have any,” she shrugged nonchalantly before continuing.

“How insensitive of you to ask such question to a dying girl. Why would I even bother thinking of a dream that can’t possibly come true,” Joohyun finished.

“But what if you have your entire life to have that dream fulfilled? What would you wanna do?” I probed further, not getting fazed by the daggers of stare Joohyun is throwing me.

Soon, the creased brows faded and was replaced by her signature cocky smirk that only screams not-so-good ideas that I’ve been familiar on seeing.

“I would like to experience romantic love, doctor,” Joohyun smirked and somehow, I was not even shock receiving that answer or maybe, I was expecting that answer.

“Then fall in love with me Joohyun,” I said with all seriousness.

The smirk on Joohyun turned upside down. But before I could even react, she had already stormed out of the café.              

“Joohyun wait!” I managed to grab her wrist and spun her around. The annoyance is evident on her face, her features had never contorted in the same way she’s looking at me right now.

“It’s not getting fun playing with you anymore Seulgi,” Joohyun spat.

 “If you think falling in love will give me the desire to live then you’re ten years behind with that kind of thinking,” Joohyun abruptly pulled her hand from my grip and took her first steps but came into a halt with my next words.

“If I tell you you’re not dying, will you give it a chance?”

Joohyun slowly turned to me with confusion etched on every corner of her face.

“Will you give me a chance?” I repeated.

Lies. I would say that was the worst lie I have taken in my life. A lie that I’ve decided to carry for as long I’d live. But at that time, that lie was the only right thing on my mind. It was the right thing I believed in. Maybe, I thought, the world isn’t that bad of a place after all. The wrong things we judge people about could be the only right thing in their mind. And maybe it was subjective, how a person would view what is right.

 

Present

“Irene.”

The petite girl with raven black hair turned to my direction as soon as the familiar words left my mouth. She was neither shocked nor confused at my appearance. It was like she had predicted that sooner or later I’d appear on her front door waiting for her.

“Oh right, I heard from Wendy,” I rummaged from the paper bag I had been holding and handed her a blank sketchpad together with a black marker.

“I was told you’ve been mute.”

The items remained unaccepted as I stood there handing it to her politely. Sensing that she won’t reach for them anytime soon, I placed them back in the bag.

“But I guess you wouldn’t be needing them anyway,” I sighed in defeat.

“Why have you been pretending all this time Joohyun?”

The question finally earned a reaction from the cold girl. I should’ve gotten used to all the death glares and sharp stares but how could I when sometimes it was the only thing I’ve been looking forward to.

 

“Let’s just say I’ve been taught by a good liar, doctor.”


 

 

A/N: Here's chapter 2. ^-^ Only left with one long chapter or two mid-length chapters. Thank you very much to everyone who subscribed and commented. To Valenvine_ and Trashy_me thank you so much for the upvote!