On the street

Voice

I strummed my guitar for the 5th song that chilly afternoon, just a few minutes before the night takes in. A few people encircled me, while some would nonchalantly pass by. I had my guitar case in front with a few coins and bills that would increase from each song. I let out a sigh, forming crisp smokes in the air.

“That would be the last song for today. Thank you everyone!” I chirped as I rubbed my freezing hands together.

People started going their own way not even bothering a single clap, but one person did as usual, catching my attention with the polite gesture.

I smiled, before collecting the bills.

“Thank you. The weather is cold enough, but I felt warm with your acknowledgment. Did you like my song?” I asked as I went closer to the petite girl with dark raven hair wearing a scarlet scarf around her neck.

She nodded meekly as she avoided her gaze.

‘Cute’ I thought.

“Hey, if you don’t mind. Do you want to accompany me for some coffee? It’s just, you know, a token of appreciation. You have been in the crowd listening to my songs every Fridays. You’ve become a familiar face, so I just want to.. thank you,” I trailed the last words, feeling embarrassed for no reason.

I stared at her, expectant with her reply.

She smiled and nodded her head before taking out a small sketchpad from her bag.

‘Is she gonna ask my autograph?’ I tilted my head in wonder.

Soon, she began to write.

‘Yes. I would love to.’ She wrote.

I see.

She’s mute.


 

I felt insanely awkward. I asked her company for a cup of coffee hoping for some meaningful chat. It had been a good few minute, but I can’t think of any word to say.

 I noticed her writing on her sketchpad again. She turned it to me so I can read it.

‘You don’t have to walk on ice around me. Feel free to voice out your thoughts’

My tense shoulders loosened. I smiled and she returned it gladly. Right, I came here with her to express my gratitude. I took a deep breath to regain my composure.

“My name is Seungwan but I go with Wendy instead and I’m really thankful for your presence whenever I sing. I know I’m just an average busker singing a few songs on Fridays but when you clapped for me for the first time, I’ve always been looking forward to those claps. I know this may sound like I’m a baby seeking for attention but, I just want you to know that you really give hope to people. I mean, to me, at least,” I quickly took a sip of coffee to hide my awkwardness, silently hoping the caffeine won’t give me too much jitters.

I glanced at her and found her somehow frozen from my words.

‘Did I scare her? Oh no, is she afraid of me know? Will she stop coming to my performances from now on?’ my head was bombarded with incredulous thoughts.

I woke up from my trance when she let out a silent giggle.

‘I should be the one saying those words. Your song gives me hope’

I smiled when I read those words written in thick black marker.

“What’s your name?” I asked enthusiastically.

She smiled again before her hands began to move as she trace some words on the blank sheet of paper.

‘Irene. Pleased to meet you Wendy.’


 

That one coffee session turned into a regular habit every Friday night right after I finished a performance.

Irene and I would hang around for a few more hours after our coffee session. Sometimes we would plan, most of the time we would just take a stroll along Han river to have a whiff of fresh, cold air. I would do most of the talking obviously and sometimes she would ask me questions.

‘Why don’t you audition for a big company and debut as a singer?’

I silently read and smiled after.

“Just the thought of debuting makes me feel ecstatic Irene. I would really love that. Standing on stage with a whole crowd cheering and joining me for a song would be my biggest dream,” I stared on the silent river for a few seconds before turning my head to look at the inquiring girl.

“But not all dreams are meant to be lived. Some are better off looking at afar.”

Irene frowned at my answer and I chuckled as the word ‘why’ is etched perfectly on her face.

“My voice won’t allow me to perform for more than 5 songs,” I started.

“Heck, I can only sing that much because I do it once a week. My doctor told me that I can’t strain my vocal cords too much, so I’m only allowed to sing that much. She actually told me that I can only sing four, but I bargained with five,” I smiled, and noticed how the crease on Irene’s brows began to disappear.

‘I’m sorry’ she wrote.

“Oh no! Please, you don’t have to be sorry about anything,” I waved my hands impulsively.

 “It’s more than enough for me. I always think that I’m still lucky I can still sing. I may have a time limit, but I guess it’s better than fully losing my voice.”

I froze when the realization hit me. Gosh, why do I have to be so insensitive!?

“I-I don’t mean it in a bad way Irene! I mean, gosh, how do I explain this?” I hit my own head in annoyance, hopelessly scolding myself for the remark.

I felt a soft tap on my head and looked up at the girl giggling delightfully.

She nodded as if trying to say it’s okay and she didn’t feel offended.

She looked up and I followed her gaze. The stars have been sparkling above us; I didn’t realize it has been already that deep in the night. Time always pass by in a crazy pace whenever I’m with her.

I felt a soft tap on my shoulder and tore my gaze from the magnificent view of the night sky.

Irene is holding her usual sketchpad and I can’t help but smile from the words written on it.

 

‘Just think of these stars as your crowd. In the same way, I will always be cheering for you.’


 

“You’re late,” an unwelcoming voice greeted me right after I entered the usual place.

“Calm down Seulgi. It’s not like you’re already asleep right? Besides, our place is just right around the corner so I can wake you up if ever you are,” I shrugged and carefully placed my guitar beside the table she was leaning on.

“What a disobedient patient you are. And how many times do I have to tell you to call me ‘Doctor’ whenever you step in here,” Seulgi let out a sigh and I chuckled at how frustrated she looks like.

“Rub that smile off your face Seungwan. Do you think I’m naïve enough not to notice you’ve been coming late on your Friday night check-ups?”

I immediately pressed my lips together as soon as I heard Seulgi calling me in my Korean name. She’s really pissed this time.

“Well, you know, Fridays are always busy for me Seul,” I glanced sideways, trying my best not to spill anymore of my new routine every Friday.

I took a seat right in front of her white desk and acted as if everything is usual.

I heard Seulgi’s sigh for the second time right after I entered the familiar hospital.

“You’re not singing more than you should, are you?” She squinted slightly, making her eyes almost disappear.

“I’m not Seul. It’s the usual five. I promised you that didn’t I?” I argued.

“Then have you been dating someone for you to be always late?”

I paused on that question. As expected of Seulgi, she may look clueless at times, but she always get the right answer when needed.

“I-I’m not!” I stuttered and unconsciously let out a high pitch causing my childhood friend, roommate, and doctor to raise a brow.

“You do realize that, that answer already gave you away Seungwan-ah. Now, spill.”

I sighed defeatedly. I guess there’s even no point in my hiding anyway.

“Remember that one time I told you that someone always clap whenever I busk?”

Seulgi nodded and encouraged me to continue.

“Well, a few weeks ago, I finally got the courage to approach her and thank her by inviting her for some coffee,” I narrated.

Seulgi raised another brow before saying, “So you’ve been hooking up with that girl?” nonchalantly.

“No! I mean, are you crazy!? Why would I-,” I sighed, calming myself in the process, I felt myself heating up just thinking about it. I let out another sigh before looking back at Seulgi who never changed expression as I started my story.

“We turned that coffee session into a regular Friday night session.” I mumbled but loud enough for Seulgi to hear.

“I see.”

There were a few seconds of silence before I finally broke it.

“What? That’s it? You’re not going to ask anything like-“

“Is she pretty?” Seulgi cut me off.

I paused before answering.

“Well, yeah, I mean, she’s beautiful. Really--beautiful,” I mumbled.

Without even realizing, Seulgi was already beside me, her arm encircling around my shoulder.

“Hey, show me a picture,” she whispered sneakily.

“Yah! Why would I-“

“Don’t tell me you don’t have one?” she cut me off the second time that night.

“I have! I mean, I do have one with her,” I frowned warily.

“Stupid, don’t give me that judging look. I’m not the type who steals girls from a friend. I have my own line of girls, you know,” Seulgi reasoned.

Well, that’s true. I have lost count of the number of girls constantly sending her gifts and tickets for dates. Perks of having that chic look and on top of that being a doctor in a prestigious hospital. I seriously wonder how a lame busker like me got a friend this big time.

“So, are you gonna show her to me or do I need to steal your phone?” Seulgi tilted her head innocently and annoyingly.

“Okay, fine here. But don’t stare too much,” I shove her my phone after scrolling for the pic we took in the café a week ago. I was the one who initiated to have a commemoration photo of our friendship and it seriously took a mountain of courage to do so.

I turned to Seulgi when she remained silent for a few minutes, just staring blankly at my phone.

“Yah, I told you not to stare too much,” I snatched my phone back and immediately placed it inside my pocket.

I heard a chuckle from Seulgi before she went back behind her desk

“Not bad Wendy~ she looks totally stunning,” she said in a teasing tone, her crescent eyes finally made an entrance for the first time that night.

It was my turn to squint my eyes on her.

“Don’t you dare,” I growled warningly.

“Chill, I admit she’s breathtaking but she’s not my type so calm your my friend,” Seulgi chirped.

“Aren’t you supposed to check up on me?” I asked trying to divert the subject.

“Nah, since you already said that you’ve been keeping your promise, that’s good enough for me,” Seulgi removed her white coat and placed it around her chair before propping her chin above her palm.

“So, mind telling me, your best friend, everything about her?” Seulgi’s eyes turned into deeper crescent that evening.

 And somehow, for the first time since that incident, I didn’t want to talk.


 

“She’s mute?” Seulgi furrowed her brows, repeating the same words that left my mouth a few seconds ago.

“Yes, so I still don’t know much about her. I do most of the talking obviously, but she asks and replies to me with her sketchpad,” I answered.

Seulgi remained silent and somehow it bothers me that my usual chatty friend only stares at me as if boring holes.

“Are you okay with that Wendy?” Seulgi asks.

“What about?” I questioned back.

“Having a mute girlfriend,” she stated as a matter of fact.

“Yah! I told you we’re not going out!” I pitched incredulously.

“Alright. Alright. Calm down. Don’t raise your voice. You’ve already wearied it too much today,” Seulgi stood up and began packing her things.

“It’s all your fault, you sleazy, annoying, munchkin head of a doctor,” I mumbled under my breath.

“If you have time to diss me then help me carry this out moron.”

Before I could even react, I found myself carrying two boxes of what seems like vitamins or something.

“You do realize that I’m carrying a guitar with me, don’t you?” I glared at my same-aged friend.

“Yep, and that would be your punishment for always coming late on your check ups and going out on dates instead Miss tiny busker,” Seulgi nudged an elbow before running towards the exit.

“Last one to come home will buy a dinner!!”

I was stunned on my feet whilst holding the two cartons. I scoffed as the childish doctor was nowhere in sight in seconds.

Yup, this will be a long night.


 

I woke up late the next morning, Seulgi won’t stop annoying and teasing me the whole night. I was a bit surprised that she left early even though we slept at about 3am. Doctors must have it tough considering how much work she does. There was even a time that she would go to America once or twice a month for medical reasons.

I lazily trudged my way to the fridge, scrambling for any decent food that morning.

It was a Saturday and somehow after meeting Irene, days other than Fridays seem to move slower than turtles. I grabbed my phone and scrolled through my gallery, I stared at my picture with Irene wondering if it was okay to set the image as my wallpaper.

‘Is it too fast? Should I ask her permission? But it’s my phone so I can do whatever I want with it right?’

I shook my head, removing all impending thoughts that morning.

‘How I wish it would be Friday soon.’

 

Seulgi POV

I fished out my phone and checked the time. It’s still pretty early. I yawned and rubbed off some sleep from last night. Teasing Wendy had always been fun, no matter how much I tried to be mad on that same aged friend for overusing her voice at times, I can’t help but forgive her, nonetheless.

Wendy is the type of friend that everybody would want to have. She’s carefree but knows her priorities. She’s playful but takes life seriously. She’s really smart and is passionate about her precious music. If it wasn’t for Wendy’s constant encouragement, I wouldn’t be pursuing my dream of becoming a doctor.

I smiled at the memory of Wendy chasing a robber one time and ended up smashing her guitar at the poor man. Of course, I bought her a brand new one the day after since she looks like a puppy that had its’ bone stolen. She’s a real pain in the but wouldn’t miss a chance to help others out.

But I guess helping everyone out doesn’t always bring good luck, sometimes we better off ignoring something that shouldn’t be our business. I frowned after remembering the incident that almost had my best friend lose her life. It was an understatement to say that I almost lost my mind when two of my most important person were lying in the ICU and I can’t do anything despite being a doctor since I am a close friend.

 I clenched my eyes at the thought and right on cue, the door that I have been waiting to open let out a familiar face.

I smiled and can’t help but still be mesmerized with the beauty that doesn’t know time.

“It’s been a long time Joohyun, or do you prefer how Wendy calls you?”

 

“Irene.”

 

A/N: This feels awkward haha. Still, thank you for reading you ! :)