1.0

The Day That I Got Sick

   The alarm rang loudly in the morning waiting for its owner to turn off the alarm. Haknyeon woke up and immediately reached for the phone to shut the alarm off. His body feels heavy today. "Today is going to be a tough day," Haknyeon sighed. They have a full schedule today and his body is not cooperating with him. "Why so many days, I have to be sick today," Hakyeon put his arm on his forehead and felt the warmth of his forehead. "I will be fine after I take the medicine. It just a mild fever," Haknyeon thought to himself. He looked beside him to see if Hyunjae has woke up but he still sleeping soundly while hugging his pillow. "Hyung, wake up," his throat feels very dry and soar when he called for Hyunjae. Hyunjae stirred in his sleep but still did not wake up. Haknyeon cleared his throat and called Hyunjae once again. "Hyung, we have a schedule at nine. You have to wake up now" Haknyeon reached Hyunjae's hand and shook him slowly so he would not surprise the older brother. "Umm?" Hyunjae was responding and blinking his eyes while looking at Haknyeon who was sitting at the edge of the bed. "Wake up hyung. We are gonna be late for our schedule" said Haknyeon. "Okay, just 5 minutes more" Hyunjae closed his eyes back. "You better wake up before Sangyeon hyung enter the room" said Haknyeon before leaving the room with his towel.

 

   After Haknyeon finished bathing and wanted to go to his room to put on some clean clothes, he met Eric who had just come out of the kitchen with apple in his hand. "Good morning hyun-, umm hyung are you okay?" Eric frowns at Haknyeon. Haknyeon raised his eyebrows. “Why do you ask that?” asked Haknyeon. You look quite pale and you have dark eyebags under your eyes.” Haknyeon holds both of his cheeks. “Ahh, Im just fine, Eric-ah. I was staying up last night reading the comments from The B hehehe,” Haknyeon just shrugged off Eric's suspicions. “You should get proper sleep hyung it is not good for your health. We have a tight schedule today and we have to be in good condition to get through today.” complained Eric. “Yeah I know, but I can't help it. It's from The B. Im gonna change up now okay, it is quite cold because im only in my towel,”said Haknyeon while hugging his body. “Okay. Go ahead hyung.” Eric passed by Haknyeon and went to the living room and turn on the tv and sat on the sofa while eating the apple. Haknyeon heads to his room and pick his clothes from his closet. Hyunjae is awake because he is not in the room. Haknyeon quickly wore his clothes because of the cold. Then, he dried his wet hair. His mother always told him to take a shower and wash his hair when he had a fever so the fever would subside quickly. After drying his hair, he went to the kitchen to get some apples. He had no appetite that morning, but he had to eat something before taking the medicine. He opened the fridge and reached for the smallest apple. After finishing the apple, he opened the kitchen cabinet and took a fever medicine and swallowed two pills. Without even realizing it, someone was watching his behavior in the kitchen. Haknyeon hurried the bottle of medicine into the cabinet because he did not want his hyungs to know he had a fever. He is confident that his fever will recover within 2-3 hours after taking the medicine. He did not want to bother his hyungs and interrupt their schedule today. Today's schedule is important because they will discuss about the theme and practice the choreography that they will bring to the second round of road to kingdom. Despite facing a lot of pressure, he wants them to win the first place again in the second round and he do not want to be the reason they fail.
 

   In the practice room, all the members were sitting around talking about the second song that they were going to perform in the King’s song.

 

   “The next performance is performing a King's song, but there are so many King's when it comes to Kpop. So choosing the right song is important. We have to put our own twist into it. And we have to respect the original song,”Sangyeon stated. "Yeah that's right," Sunwoo nodded. "The King that I thought of was Taemin sunbaenim," suggested Q. Eric raised his head when he heard someone say Taemin's name. "Taemin sunbaenim succeeded as a member of SHINee and as a solo artist, he became a King," Juyeon continued. "How about we bring Danger performance for this round," Eric suggested. "We can interpret the song in our own style" said Juyeon. "So, are we doing Danger?" Q asked the opinions of his other members. Everyone nodded in agreement. Haknyeon who just kept quiet for a while also nodded his head. He didn't really focus and listened to what was talking about because his head was dizzy. "Yeah let's do it," Sangyeon shouted to raise their spirits.
 

   After filming for the road to kingdom that day, they all continued to have more detailed discussions in the training room with their choreographer. That day they just had to complete the original Danger choreography before they added any more details. Q and Eric learned the choreography very quickly because Q was the dancing machine of the group and Eric was a big fan of Taemin so he already knew the choreography. Q and Eric helped other members to learn Danger choreography. While they were practicing, Q noticed that Haknyeon made a lot of mistakes while dancing. “It’s been 2 hours since we started. How about we take a 10 minutes break?” said Q. Everyone nodded and went to fetch water to quench their thirst. Q approached the tired Haknyeon. “Are you okay, Haknyeon? You are not very energetic today,” Q asked while holding Haknyeon's shoulder. "Yeah," Hankyeon replied. He wiped his sweat by his hand and looked at Q. "I am okay, don’t worry," Haknyeon smiled. He didn't want Q to know he was having a stomach ache. His head was dizzy and he felt like throwing up. He is grateful that Q let them rest on time because he felt that the contents of his stomach will go out anytime. "I want to go to the toilet," Haknyeon quickly went out of the room. Once in the toilet, he continued to spill the contents of his stomach. He is lucky because no one is in the toilet. He worried that he will just drag the team down if he was sick. "I will be fine after this," Haknyeon thought to himself. After finished spilling all his breakfast, Haknyeon then washed his face to make himself look better. He quickly rushes to the practice room to join the others.

 

   When Haknyeon went out to the toilet, Q looked at Haknyeon’s back with worried eyes. He saw Haknyeon in the kitchen this morning, swallowing the pills in the cabinet. He thought Haknyeon just had a mild headache or something and did not bother to tell the others about Haknyeon’s condition. While monitoring their dance, he noticed Haknyeon was falling behind and sweating a lot. He decided to tell Sangyeon about Haknyeon while the boy is not here. “Hyung, can we talk for a second?” asked Q to Sangyeon who is sitting on the floor. “Wae Changmin-ah?” Sangyeon looked up at Q who was standing in front of him. “It’s Haknyeon. I think he is sick,” Q sighed. “Really? I didn’t notice that. He looked fine to me this morning,” Sangyeon replied while rubbing his nape. “I saw him swallow the pills this morning. He was so out of it during this practice too,” Q tried to convince Sangyeon. “Can you check on him after he returned? I am worried he is gonna be more sick if he continues practice,” Q stated his worries. Sangyeon nodded after listening to Q’s favor. Not long after that, Haknyeon returned to the room and sit on the sofa. He grabbed the new bottle of water and gulped the water down. After spilling his stomach’s contents, his throat feels very dry. Sangyeon came to him and asked “Haknyeon are you feeling alright?” Haknyeon put down the bottle on the floor and looked at Sangyeon. Suddenly, Sangyeon grabbed Haknyeon's arm and used his other hand to touch Haknyeon's forehead. “Your forehead feels warm Haknyeon-ah. Are you sick? Why didn't you tell me? How can you dance in this condition?” asked Sangyeon nonstop. Haknyeon was startled by his hyung's sudden action and he quickly pushed Sangyeon's hand from his forehead. “I'm not sick, hyung. My body feels a little bit hot because we just had a dance practice, right?” Haknyeon replied in the hope that his brother would believe his words. Everyone else just looks at Haknyeon. Q not far from Haknyeon continued, "Are you sure? I saw you in the kitchen eating some pills,”. “I was staying up late last night and had a headache when I woke up this morning, so I took the pills,” replied Haknyeon. He didn't know that Q saw him eating the medicine in the kitchen. "He also told me the same thing," Eric did not realize he was supporting Haknyeon to continue practice without knowing Haknyeon's condition. ‘Gomawo Eric-ah,’ Haknyeon said in his heart. “I am really fine hyungggg! We only have six days before the competition. Don’t worry about me. I will tell you if I am not feeling well,” Haknyeon tried to reassure the older brother with his smile. He knows that his hyung will fall for him if he smile like he usually do. “Inform us if you start feeling unwell, okay? We don’t want you to get hurt during practice. And this practice is quite tough since we have a lot of jumping and flying in this choreography,” Sangyeon advised the younger one. Haknyeon shows the thumbs up as an okay sign. He actually felt a lot better after vomiting and thought it was okay to continue practicing. Until the unexpected happened…

 

   After the rest, they continued practicing for another three hours. Haknyeon’s body started to feel heavy again like there was a big rock on his shoulder. His legs also started to give away. They were still in the middle of practicing and all he can see is black dots appearing and disappearing in his vision. Juyeon who was behind him noticed the unnatural behaviour of Haknyeon but before Juyeon could react, Haknyeon already fell on the floor and not moving. The loud thud sound surprised the other members and they stop dancing. His body must have hit the floor really hard. Juyeon who was the nearest to Haknyeon, kneeled on the floor and turned Haknyeon’s face from the floor. “He is burning up!” Juyeon said in worried voice. Sangyeon was the second to react and immediately rush beside Haknyeon. He tapped the younger’s cheeks and called his name several times but no respond comes out from Haknyeon. Everyone else just freeze at their spot not knowing what to do after seeing Hakyeon’s unconscious body on the floor. Haknyeon is a cheerful boy and he never gets very sick like this. “Jacob, can you get me a bowl of water and a clean towel?” instructs Sangyeon. Jacob who was fast on his feet immediately went out to get the needed items. “Should we call the ambulance?” New asked breaking the silence. “We have to tell the manager first. Younghoon-ah can you call manager hyung for me?” Sangyeon’s voice was very calm. Actually, he tried to be calm so that the other members won’t panicked. Younghoon pulled his phone out of his bag and called the manager. “Hyung, Haknyeon fainted during practice. Ne…. Ne. Arasso hyung,” Younghoon turned off the call and told the leader “Manager hyung will come in five minutes,”

 

“Okay, let’s get him on the sofa. Kevin and Juyeon help me carry him,”

   “Hana.. deul.. set!” They carried Haknyeon to the sofa so that he will be more comfortable. Jacob arrives with a bowl of water and the cloth that was requested by Sangyeon. Sangyeon deep the water into the bowl and squeeze the remaining water and put the wet cloth on Haknyeon’s forehead. Q suddenly handed out a thermometer to Sangyeon who was sitting beside Haknyeon. “This was in the emergency aid box. We can measure his temperature and decides if he needs to go to the hospital,”

“Oh yeah I forgot we have this in case of emergency like this. Gomawo,” Sangyeon carefully put the thermometer inside Haknyeon’s mouth and waiting for beep. “It’s 38.8 degree Celsius. Thank god. It’s not very dangerous. I think the fever rises because of the dance practice. He was not this hot when I touched him before,”

The sound of the door being open and their manager enter the practice room catch everyone’s attention. “Haknyeon waegure?” Their manager asked anxiously. “It’s okay hyung. He was just tired. His temperature is not very high. He will be okay after getting some rest. We can bring him to the clinic after he wakes up to check if he has other symptoms,” Sangyeon replied. “I will bring him to the dorm. Since Q already master the choreography, I will let him accompany Haknyeon,” Q nodded in agreement.

 

   Manager hyung who was carrying Haknyeon slowly put him on his bed. “We have to change his clothes. Can you help me Changmin?” asked the manager. “Sure hyung,” without wasting time, Q took Haknyeon clean clothes in the closet. With manager hyung help, it was easy to change Haknyeon into a nice clean clothes from his wet and sweaty tshirt that he wear during the dance practice. “I will leave now. Take care of your dongsaeng. Just call me if anything happens,” The manager had to go back to office to take the others back home. They decide to wrap up and finish early because of what happened to Haknyeon. Q looked at Haknyeon who was sleeping. ‘I should have prevented him from practicing. It’s all my fault he’s like this,’ even though Q was very quiet during the incident, he cannot stop blaming himself for what happened to Haknyeon. He thought that he should be more assertive to Haknyeon but Haknyeon managed to fool him with his adorable smile that he always make when he wants something from his hyungs. “Hyung,” Q didn’t realize Haknyeon has opened his eyes and is looking at Q. Q hurried to Haknyeon’s side and asked, “Are you okay? I was worried you know when you fainted like that! Don’t do that again!” Q was extremely upset about what had happened and cried his eyes out. “Mianhae. It was my fault. I thought I would drag our team down if I told  you guys that I was sick. It looks like I was wrong. I am really sorry,” Haknyeon was being honest. “No. you are not dragging us down. Your health is much more important than the competition. You should take care of yourself more,” Q replied while brushing Haknyeon’s hair. He then continued, “Just sleep and get some rest now. We can continue our practice after you get better,”

 

   “Alright hyung. Thank you,” Haknyeon closed his eyes and went to sleep.