mimo x samo

we almost knew what love was
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“coffee?” 


 

a kiss on the cheek and a quick massage on her shoulders accompanied the offer, as the cup of hot beverage was placed on top of her desk.


 

mina pushed the glasses perched on the bridge of her nose as she faced the person responsible for the wet spot on her cheek, “hi momo. early shift?”


 

“nope,” momo grabbed an office chair and dragged it to sit beside mina, “just heard you got out from a six-hour craniotomy. i wanted to pay you a visit with your favorite drink and see if you’re resting well.”


 

this made mina giggle. both girls knew that was unnecessary, but momo being momo, of course, she had to do it. 


 

momo has been in this field for quite a while. longer than mina has because of their one-year plus the delay mina had while choosing whether she’d pursue her dream in the medical field or settle for something immediate.


 

and with momo as considerate and helpful as ever, mina was able to reach her dreams. “you didn’t have to, you know that, right?”


 

“but you also know that i did it because i wanted to. so how was it?” momo slid her chair behind mina’s to continue the massage she had started earlier.


 

“it was tiring, but it’s all good. thanks for worrying though.”


 

“who said anything about worry? i never doubted your abilities. i’m sure that it was nothing that the head of neurosurgery couldn’t handle.” 


 

mina and momo have gone a long way. they’ve known each other since forever as they went through everything together, went through thick and thin by each other’s side. from their first periods to their first relationships. from their first failed test to their first dropped class. from their first unsuccessful surgery individually to a 12-hr long successful surgery they headed together.


 

momo was there during mina’s sleepless nights as the younger worries about the upcoming tests the following day. momo always made sure to accompany mina through the night and force her to get at least a couple of hours of sleep before the sun rises.


 

mina was there when momo was on the verge of dropping out. momo’s been studying hard, she really has, but she just keeps flunking test after test - seemingly not able to comprehend the knowledge she’s supposed to be getting from the books she’s been drowning herself in every night. momo was in her first year in med school while mina was finishing her last year for her bachelor’s degree, but that didn’t stop mina from offering help to the older. momo always wanted to refuse, knowing that if she accepts, it means that mina would have to study another set of lectures besides her own. but mina always shrugs it off, saying it’s additional knowledge for her and it’ll help her in the long run - and it does. it helps them both.


 

mina was there when momo started her residency. they were celebrating in the comfort of their shared apartment - a gift from momo’s parents. as soon as momo received the key to her own flat, she made sure to give the duplicate to mina as she invited her to live with her. mina wasn’t about to refuse to live in a place where it was just momo and her as she thinks of how noisy and messy it’s been in the dorms.


 

and momo was there when mina achieved her first goal to finally reach her dreams - to finish med school. mina took a year of rest from studying right after she graduated from university. it’s because her parents aren’t able to afford the possible expenses if she were to continue in med school. she found a job that pays enough for her daily expenses and her share of the rent. momo refused to accept mina’s share since she was the one who invited her to live with her anyway and she knew mina needed the money, but mina said she didn’t want to be a burden. momo wanted to say she wasn’t and mina knew momo doesn’t see her that way, but she didn’t want to keep relying on momo’s generosity, so momo lets her pay rent, but for the rest of the expenses in their shared home, it was on momo. 


 

until one night, momo snapped. mina went home late yet again and was fully drained. the next morning, momo scolded mina as much as she could for not taking care of herself and for keeping up with such a ty job when she knew mina could do better. momo wasn’t mad, she was just really worried. so momo decided to put her foot down and tell mina to use the money she’s been earning for med school instead of paying rent. momo wanted to offer financial support for mina’s academics, but she knew mina would think that that’s too much - and maybe it is, but momo doesn’t mind. but she didn’t and opted for the former to still give mina some sense of independence.


 

and with that, mina was able to graduate from medical school and was set for an internship in the same teaching hospital where momo was a resident. 


 

and now here they are. as momo decided to stick with general surgery - wanting a chance to explore the different fields of surgery, mina specializes in neurological surgery as she’s also the head in the department while the older has been given the title as the chief of surgery and mina couldn’t get any prouder.


 

“you’re one to talk, chief,” mina smirked and held the older’s hand which was still on her shoulder. 


 

mina slowly turned her chair, their hands still intertwined. it felt so natural, like how every other thing in their relationship works. 


 

they melted into each other’s gazes, exchanging heartfelt smiles. mina knew she was ed yet again the moment momo’s eyes met hers. how mina wishes that momo is able to feel the emotions going through her system right now to spare her from saying it out loud.


 

but of course, momo couldn’t. she wasn’t her soulmate. no one is her soulmate. 


 

mina was part of the minority who didn’t have a soulmate - born without a mark on her wrist. it never really bothered mina before, saw this as a good thing - that she’ll be able to write her own destiny, able to do whatever she may please and no one can say otherwise.


 

until the day she fell for momo.


 

she was in her third year in college, momo was in her last. they were drinking, celebrating the last day of their finals. they still lived in the dorms, and alcoholic drinks were obviously not allowed inside the campus but they couldn't care less as they smuggled some in their room. they were even invited to a house party that’s just a few blocks away - everyone on campus was celebrating - but they wanted to celebrate with just the two of them.


 

they were drinking for a few hours already - talking about the most random things. from the cute boy next door to the professor they shared. neither even noticing time passing by until mina’s alarm went off.


 

“how is it already 5 in the morning? i’m not even exhausted yet,” momo snickered, both girls looking at mina’s phone.


 

mina giggled at the thought, they really seemed like they would’ve continued if they weren’t reminded of the time. momo was still looking at mina’s phone, so when mina faced momo, she was surprised to see how little space they had left between them.


 

their eyes met and for a few seconds, neither moved. just a few more inches and their lips would’ve met as well, and with every second that passed, mina was becoming more aware of how close they were. 


 

they were still looking in each other’s eyes until mina saw momo’s gaze trail down to her lips. this made mina do the same and gulped. she was so compelled to move towards momo, she didn’t even realize what she was doing not until momo stood up from the floor.


 

“,” mina whispered faint enough for momo not to hear as her actions started sinking in.


 

momo giggled, “alright. that’s enough for tonight - or morning. you’re obviously already drunk.” the older pulled mina up to her feet and guided her to her room so she could rest.


 

but mina wasn’t able to rest that night, and neither has momo.


 

that’s when she realized how screwed she was because she fell in love with a girl who was bound to meet her soulmate someday. that was the only time she felt betrayed by the universe - for not giving her a soulmate, not giving her momo. 


 

and here she is again, lost in the gaze of the older till her eyes decided to look at their joined hands. momo’s sleeve from her lab coat didn’t reach her wrist and she wasn’t wearing her watch today - making her mark visible. 


 

mina looked away, remembering the times she tried to forget about her feelings for momo, but that day never came. she really tried and now she’s once again reminded that momo can never be hers.


 

she didn’t even realize that she let go of momo’s hand while she was zoning out. the only thing that brought her back was when she felt the same hand she was holding seconds ago, now on her cheek, softly caressing her skin.


 

“hey, you okay? are you tired? do you want to rest first? i can cover the rest of your shift if you need me to. i’ll go tell nayeon that you—” momo was cut off because of another giggle that left mina’s lips.


 

the younger shook her head and held the hand on her cheek, “i’m fine. i was just thinking.”


 

momo retrieved her hand, only to hold mina’s again, with a smirk plastered on her face, “yeah? was it about me?”


 

“it was.”


 

that caught momo off guard - mina was never straightforward about her feelings towards momo and the sad smile that accompanied mina’s response told momo what the younger doctor was thinking about.


 

a second later, still with no response from momo, mina started to freak out, “i’m sorry, was that too much? i didn’t mean to. i know we’re with each other right now and it’s weird to zone out thinking about you while you’re in front of me, but i don’t know what came over me. i’m sorry i’ll—” it was mina’s turn to be cut off.


 

“no need to ramble, mina, you know that it’s okay. in fact, i wanted to tell you something.” momo’s eyes went from mina’s to anywhere but at her as she started to get nervous.


 

“i know your office is probably not the best place to say this, but i’ve also been thinking about what you said last week,” momo trailed off and started to breathe deeper to gain some courage, “and i’d like to try. i really do.”


 

and like how their actions have been switching from one to the other, it was mina now who wasn’t able to respond immediately. it was as if her brain stopped functioning that she wasn’t able to comprehend what momo had just said, “i’m sorry, what?”


 

momo let out another little giggle before looking mina in the eye and tightening her hold on the latter, “i said i’d love to go on a date with you. officially, this time. i’m free tomorrow evening, and i know you are too.”


 

mina didn’t know what to feel - how to react. and mina didn’t have enough time to as momo’s beeper startled both of them. 


 

“. that’s me, i gotta go. i’m on ER today,” and with that, momo left a quick kiss on her forehead before running off.


 

mina didn’t mind as the forehead kiss lingered since she was more than happy to know that momo finally gave her a chance. a chance to show momo the love she has for the older without holding back this time. and mina wouldn’t waste such an opportunity.


 

––


 

momo rushed to the emergency room, with the giddy feeling on her chest still there. she started attending to the patients in the room, giving light and simple sutures to wounds which were caused by several unfortunate events in the kitchen, alongside diagnosing kids having fever with no symptoms of any threatening illness.


 

momo was beaming with happiness which was contagious to the point that even the patients left the room with smiles on their faces. it was a normal occurrence from the bright and bubbly momo, but she was twice as happy today because she finally had the guts to accept mina’s love for her and to return it wholeheartedly.


 

momo always knew about mina’s feelings - aware when mina started to act differently towards her. 


 

the day after their last day of finals was the first day of their semestral break, in other words, winter break has started. they have roughly three weeks of vacation and both girls decided to take a plane back to japan to visit their respective families.


 

their flight was set to leave three days into their winter break, that’s why momo was weirded out when she saw mina’s luggage already packed on the first day of their break.


 

“going somewhere?” momo asked as she pushed the door to mina’s room even more to announce her presence. 


 

mina was staring at the mirror fixing her scarf when momo entered - another weird thing - but she shrugged it off, deciding to sit on the younger’s bed, “why is your luggage out?”


 

mina faced momo, but didn’t exactly meet her eyes, as she grabbed her purse and started placing her daily essentials inside of it that was on her bed moments ago, “uh i’m going back home.”


 

“what? aren’t we supposed to leave together in like two days?”


 

“i- yeah, but uh-” mina fiddled more with her bag still not looking at momo, “something came up? and uh mom wanted me to go home asap.”


 

it didn’t take long for momo to understand that mina was acting weird but she decided not to pry, knowing that the younger would approach her about what’s troubling her when she’s ready, so she lets it slide.


 

“alright. do you need a ride to the airport? let me at least do that given the short notice of this all.”


 

mina seemed hesitant at first, but she knew she wouldn’t be able to lie to momo for much longer, so she agreed.


 

the ride to the airport was quiet. and as much as momo wanted to deny it, it was pretty awkward. momo wanted to ask what’s wrong but kept on deciding otherwise - opting to stay quiet and let the tension thicken as time passed by.


 

when they got to the airport, momo was kind enough to help mina with her things from the trunk, having an excuse that mina isn’t allowed to carry that much weight, but she really just wanted to stall some more.


 

“we’re good, right? you’re not mad at me or anything? you aren’t avoiding me?” momo asked right before mina was able to leave.


 

mina faced her again and shook her head, “we’re okay.” and they bid their goodbyes.


 

but they weren’t okay. days turned to weeks and mina has indeed been avoiding momo.


 

momo tried to contact her. they were supposed to be with their families, but they also planned to spend some time together to explore other parts of japan just like what they always do every year. but mina kept turning momo’s offer down every chance she got.


 

until momo had enough and confronted mina, going on a roughly two-hour trip from kyoto to kobe. she was so used to traveling to the younger’s home that momo didn’t even notice that she was already in front of the younger’s house.


 

“momo? why are you here?”


 

mina opened the door, surprised to see the older. she really didn’t want to see her right now, but of course, momo wouldn’t let that happen.


 

momo didn’t answer and entered the house as if it were her own. she passed by mina’s brother, gave him a quick greeting but went straight to mina’s room.


 

mina followed suit, still as confused as to when she opened the front door. they reached her room and that’s when momo faced her.


 

“why are you ignoring me? did i do something wrong?” momo looks frustrated and she was - even a kid would be able to point that out.


 

momo just wanted to hang-out with her best friend like old times, but mina’s making that impossible to do so.


 

mina looked away, knowing that even if she lies, the older would just see right through her and it’s useless.


 

“i’m sorry. i was just thinking some things through,” mina looked at her for a second to show her sincerity, but still couldn’t keep her eye contact.


 

momo approached the girl, pulling her into an embrace. she thinks she knew why - but didn’t want to assume - so she asked, “is it because of what happened the last time we got drunk?”


 

mina tightened her hold on momo and slowly nodded. both girls knew they had a lot to talk about, but neither was ready to face it yet. they settled for this instead, holding each other tightly to say things they couldn’t say out loud. and it was enough.


 

after that, momo already knew the feelings mina had, but they never talked about it, only showed it. mina always took care of momo and momo always guided mina. they were an inseparable duo anyway - it felt natural to fall for each other along the way.


 

but momo had a soulmate, and if mina sees her no-mark wrist positively, then momo saw her mark as a gift too. 


 

she was a firm believer in the soulmate system, simply because her parents’ love story was beyond realistic, and the only way they were able to be with each other is because they were soulmates. despite the constant hardships and obstacles momo’s parents went through, they always found a way back in each other’s lives. and it’s what made momo hope - that she’d meet her own someday and the name written on her wrist would finally be clear.


 

momo loved mina, but she was a firm believer in soulmates. 


 

something didn’t add up.


 

it didn’t take long for momo to realize she’d fallen in love with mina too, it wasn’t hard to accept either. but she was scared of what it could mean for both of them. scared of what may happen when momo’s soulmate came around.


 

mina knew about momo’s belief, and as momo respected hers, mina respected momo’s. so momo knew they had to talk and mina knew she had to make it happen. they’ve remained silent and settled for actions to express their love for each other for years, but they had to face the truth sooner or later.


 

mina took her out again, it’s the fifth time this week. momo liked to think it was just the usual unofficial dates they always go on, but she knew that lately, that wasn’t the case. especially when each of these recent dates was special, they were well-thought of and specially catered for a night to satisfy momo’s interests. 


 

momo kept asking for the nth time tonight on where mina was planning to take her this time, but like the previous nights, mina remained unbothered and didn’t give momo a single clue. 


 

“we’ll get there soon, no need to spoil the surprise,” mina chuckled and continued driving. momo whined in response which only resulted to further laughter between the two.


 

momo didn’t really want to know where they’d go - to keep the thrill - and even if she did, she knew mina wouldn’t give in anyway. the smallest things can make mina laugh, and she knew that this is one way to make her smile - if mina’s bound to make her happy at the end of the day, she wanted to at least make mina smile too.


 

“you know you don’t have to do this, right? you keep spoiling me,” momo pouts as she gets out of the car.


 

they were in a mini-golf pub tonight. ever since they were in college, there was a place near campus they'd go to, to play mini-golf. it was sort of their safe place, one where they went to when they wanted to unwind from all the stress college gives them. but unfortunately for them, around the time mina graduated from college, the place shut down and they never found a new place to play till they got busier over the years and were never able to play together again.


 

“but you know i did it because i wanted to. so come on, it's been a while but i’m sure i’d still be able to beat your ,” mina challenged and pulled her inside. 


 

and just like old times, mina still won every round, and momo still whined every time. 


 

“that's not fair! my ball keeps getting out of the hole!” 


 

mina watched momo with amusement in her eyes, “it's because you keep hitting too strong. maybe relax a little.”


 

the rest of the game was spent like that - mina finishing every round one less than the par for that hole or scoring even, and momo whining every time mina completes a hole. the mini-golf course was located just outside the pub where they settled in a few minutes after mina declared herself the winner.


 

“i’ll get back at you next time,” momo glares as she handed mina the drink she paid for, as punishment for losing, “i can’t believe you brought me to a date and i end up paying.”


 

“well, it’s not my fault that you always lose.”


 

momo didn’t mind losing all the time if that’s what causes mina to be happy and smile like this - a sight she’d never get tired of seeing. she was already contented with what they had. enjoyed and appreciated the additional effort mina put in lately. she knew something was up, but that thought was set aside as she enjoyed the company of the woman in front of her. 


 

but as immediate as that thought disappeared, it was as if mina knew and decided to let it crawl back in, “i’ve actually been meaning to talk to you.” 


 

mina finally decided to break the ice and get on with it, she was saving up some courage for a couple of days - weeks even - for this. momo gave her a look telling her to go on, assuring her that whatever it is, it’ll be okay.


 

but momo had an idea what it’s about, and it scared her even more.


 

“we’ve been going out a lot recently - for years, even. i never said a thing because it’s just how we are. and i’m not complaining or anything, but,” mina took a deep breath when momo held her hand, realizing she was starting to ramble and get nervous, “i guess i just wanted to know if you’d finally like to give us a try? i know you’re waiting for your soulmate and all, and i’m not stopping you from that. i guess what im trying to say is—”


 

mina continued rambling and momo knew that words were never really their forté so she cut her off and pressed their lips together. it wasn’t the first time they kissed, but it felt as if it were because this was the first time they shared one after one of them decided to speak up, finally.


 

momo was never good with words, and neither was mina. but mina always wins so it wasn’t a surprise to both of them when it was mina who stepped up to put a label in their relationship.


 

and as mina is always the winner, momo is always right. she hates assuming, but it’s something else when it’s her instincts that tell her that something’s up. and she did expect this to be brought up sooner rather than later since they’ve been like this for more than three years now. but that didn’t mean that she was ready when it happened.


 

she knew what mina wanted, she knew she wanted mina. but even if she wished that it was as easy as that, it wasn’t and they both knew it.


 

it was mina who pulled away first, keeping her hand on momo’s cheek. she looked down, not wanting momo to see the tears forming in her eyes, but as they fall on her cheek, it didn’t escape momo’s sight.


 

“i love you, momo. i’m sorry if i’m asking for too much, but i can’t move forward like this, not when i know that we could be something.”


 

momo nodded, understanding that as much as this is hard on her, she knew that mina had it worse. 


 

“i love you too,” momo pressed their foreheads together, “but i need some time to think it through. would that be okay? i just don’t want to enter this yet without being fully committed since that’s what you deserve, mina.”


 

mina smiled, “i’ll wait for you for as long as you need me to.”


 

but mina didn’t have to wait too long, because their talk happened just a little over a week ago and momo knew it was useless to keep mina waiting when they both knew how much they loved each other.


 

momo didn’t know what she’d do when she does meet her soulmate, but that’s a worry she’ll face when the time does come. right now, as she treats the minor wounds the patients have, all she could think about is what the two of them would be doing tomorrow evening for their first official date.


 

but apparently, the universe had other plans for her when minutes later, a patient arrived, coming out of the ambulance. 


 

momo was quick to her feet to approach the gurney with a female patient. the paramedics explained all the necessary information the nurses needed to aid her as the patient was being transferred to a bed in the emergency room.


 

momo heard that she was stable now. the patient was found passed out in a grocery store and fortunately for her, help was immediately given.


 

“that’s minatozaki sana. she has a record in our hospital already. she visits at least once a month for her routine check-up,” nayeon, the nurse who’s on duty alongside her today and a good friend of hers, said.


 

“what’s the check-ups for? is it related to why she’s in front of me in the ER instead of her doctor upstairs?” 


 

nayeon merely nodded, “she suffers from a brain tumor. dr. myoui claimed it as malignant and it wasn’t the first time she was rushed to the ER because she fainted.”


 

momo’s lips curved into a small smile at the mention of mina’s name. nayeon took note of this and was sure to use it against her friend later after their shift, “so should we call dr. myoui to come down? to check on her patient?”


 

momo shook her head as she contemplated, “there’s no need. mina’s shift just ended and she needs some rest. i’ll take care of sana for the meantime till she gains her consciousness back. we’ll call her when something happens.”


 

nayeon then left momo with the patient and momo decided to look over the clipboard that provided some of the information about sana. she didn’t know why, but the moment she heard the ambulance, something felt off and it made her intrigued about the woman lying down in front of her. 


 

there were no patients left who still needed further treatment, that’s why momo could watch over sana. she knew she didn’t need to, but like always, she felt as if she did.


 

it’s been a few minutes till sana arrived and she’s starting to regain consciousness. when momo looked over her shoulder to see sana trying to sit up, she immediately tried to stop her, placing her hand on sana’s bare shoulder.


 

and that’s when it happens. the universe was indeed messing with her when less than two hours ago, momo finally - after years of waiting for her soulmate - asked mina out on a date to give her a chance, and now she meets the person she’s been waiting for all her life. 


 

momo did not need to look at her wrist to confirm that the girl in front of her was her soulmate as the shock written on sana’s face was enough to know that they felt the same thing. it was as if electricity flowed through her whole body only to end on her wrist as they both winced at the pain as the tattoos on their respective wrists started to reveal each other’s name.


 

“m-momo?” sana still looked nauseous as she read the name written on her wrist. momo was beyond confused. this was the moment she’s been waiting for her whole life, and now that it’s happened, she doesn't know what to do.


 

“uh, that’s me. we can talk about this later, yeah? you need to rest first,” momo showed her a gentle smile as she gave a little squeeze on sana’s arm.


 

it took only a few minutes before sana fell asleep, leaving momo to her own thoughts.


 

she didn’t know what to feel. she didn’t want to think about what she could feel when all she could think about now is how the universe probably hates her to put her in such a place like this and of course, mina.


 

mina, who walked in the ER just now with a wide grin on her face. 


 

“hey, i wanted to pass by before i head home, is the ER okay? or do you need some help?” mina was as thoughtful as ever and seeing her after this mess - she’d have to think about what to call this - feels soothing like the energy mina always gives off.


 

momo immediately stood up and closed the curtains for sana’s cubicle so that mina wouldn’t see her. she doesn’t really know why it was a reflex for her to hide sana, as if the girl was a secret she wanted to hide to keep mina safe.


 

mina giggled, like how she always does, as she witnessed the immediate action momo had done, “hiding something?”


 

momo’s eyes grew wide. was she that obvious? or was mina that smart? did mina know? was she just testing if momo would tell the truth? how did she even find out? 


 

“i was joking, why are you so tense?” mina pushed her shoulder jokingly, “anyway, i’ll see you at home?” 


 

momo gave her a nod as mina left a lingering kiss on her cheek. the younger gave her one last look, her smile still not fading, before completely disappearing from momo’s view.


 

seeing mina’s smile was what brought momo back to her senses. she returned the same huge grin that mina had plastered on her face. she knew she had to tell mina - knew she couldn’t hide this forever - but this could wait till after their date tomorrow.


 

––


 

and that’s where momo went wrong. she should’ve told mina the moment she found out because sana was a patient and mina was her doctor. it should’ve occurred to her that mina could find out before she could even tell her. but how could she? when it hasn’t even registered to her system that she finally found her soulmate.


 

momo also shouldn’t have underestimated the power of gossip. having her name written on the wrist of a patient, a patient of myoui mina - her best friend and the woman who is rumored to be her girlfriend - had been the talk of the hospital. it also didn’t help when everyone knew that mina didn’t have a soulmate. with the assumption that mina and momo are together, people speculated that momo didn’t have one either. so when people found out that the chief of surgery was the soulmate of the patient who is now confined in the comforts of their hospital, everyone wanted to have a look on momo’s wrist to see if sana’s name was tattooed on it too.


 

and it didn’t take long for mina to hear about the rumors too, given that rumors around the hospital could spread faster than a virus ever could. she didn’t listen at first, but when that’s all she could hear from the nurses and some of her fellow surgeons, she knew she had to ask momo about it or it’ll drive her insane. 


 

that’s why mina was already inside momo’s office even before momo arrived in the hospital. she was waiting, and everyone who knows mina, knows that she’s pretty impatient. she was about to call momo’s phone when the door to the older’s office opened, revealing the person she came here for.


 

“mina? hey, i passed by your office, but you weren’t there,” momo gave her a kiss on the forehead before putting her things down on the couch, “did you need anything?”


 

momo had a smirk plastered on her face, unaware of the things happening around her, of the words being said right outside the room they were in.


 

mina didn’t have time to joke around as she approached momo, the latter thinking she’d get a sweet treat. but when momo closed her eyes, only to feel mina pull out her wrist, she was confused.


 

that’s when it hit momo. mina was looking at her wrist, and before momo was able to pull it back, mina already saw sana’s name clearly tattooed on momo’s skin.


 

“mina i—”


 

“so i guess it’s true then,” mina let out a defeated sigh while sitting down and momo was still clueless about what’s going on.


 

the only thought going through mina’s mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter