Chapter II

Night Pleas

Here goes Chapter II! I hope you enjoy it. Apparently this is going to be a bit longer than I expected. I hope is not too slow!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Ok, this was officially the weirdest situation Miyeon had ever lived. Somehow, she had calmed the girl down and now they were both sitting on Miyeon’s couch. The Tv was muted and all Miyeon could do was to stare at the other woman. Said girl was looking at the screen fascinated. The dim lights would enlighten the young woman’s face and Miyeon just then realize how beautiful she was. Her sharp eyes looked a bit intimidating; messy bangs covered most part of her forehead and her lips… Miyeon couldn’t look away, those pulpy lips seemed to have enchanted her. She didn’t look Korean though, her tiny accent also gave that away.

Miyeon shocked her head slightly. She had to focus. There was a stranger on her couch for god’s sake.

“Do you know how you got here?” asked Miyeon in a quiet tone, like she was afraid that if she spoke louder the girl might break. That’s the main reason why she hadn’t called the police yet, she genuinely looked terrified.

The newcomer looked at her, tears were forming again in her eyes. She furrowed her eyebrows, trying hard to remember. Seconds later she let out a sight.

“No, I… I can’t remember”

“What’s the last thing you recall?” Ok, now Miyeon was really interested in this girl. She didn’t know what to expect but she decided, right there and then, that she would try to help the girl out. She couldn’t bring herself to kick her out, but she had to do something, right? Someone was probably looking for her.

“Um… cold, really cold. And- a pressure” the girl placed her left hand over her chest, almost as she could still feel it.

Miyeon felt a stabbing pain in her heart. Did this girl suffer? What happened? She wasn’t sure what to do or say. The brown-hair girl looked away for a moment, trying to collect her thoughts. But nothing she would think made any sense.

“I think we should call the poli…” Miyeon started, glimpsing to her side just to be greeted with nothing but air. Nobody was beside her now.

Miyeon blinked, but nothing happened. She couldn’t believe her eyes. Did she just have a whole conversation with… no one?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The bags under her eyes were evident. It didn’t help that her first classes had been the ones she enjoyed the least. Creating new paintings was amazing and she usually liked the theory behind it as well, but she also felt like her brain was about to melt.

She had been thinking about what happened that night. Clearly Miyeon hadn’t slept well since then, and it was Friday. She spent the nights reading, along with almost every switch in her house being on, until she would fall asleep due to exhaustion. She had made sure her house was empty of course. She even thought about telling Soyeon. When she was upset, she could always rely on her. Sometimes it would feel like the short girl was the older one. That’s why, during their break that day, she was the one noticing Miyeon’s aspect… again.

“Unnie, did you get enough sleep?” Yuqi, who was resting her head on Soyeon’s shoulder, raised her head to take a better look at the oldest of them all. Miyeon was breathtaking and they all agreed with that, I mean… Look at her, she was like an angel. But she nodded at what her crush had said, Miyeon wasn’t looking so good that day.

Miyeon smiled at Yuqi, when would the girl confess to Soyeon? The older girl was clearly into her as well. Miyeon sighed, these two…

“No, not really” said the oldest sincerely.

“And why is that?” Soojin jumped into the conversation before bringing a piece of apple into .

“I- I actually don’t know” she couldn’t really tell them what happened. She trusted the girls, but that was too much. It wasn’t even their reaction what worried Miyeon, but the fact that she didn’t even know or understand what went down in her apartment some days ago. How could she explain it? “I just haven’t been able to sleep well…”

Soojin looked at Soyeon, who had the same concerned expression than the dancer.

“Maybe you should skip the rest of the classes, Miyeon” before anyone could say anything to Soyeon, she continued. “I think you need to rest. And she’s at the top of her class, I think she’ll be ok if she takes a day off”

“I don’t want to go home” Miyeon whispered, but it was enough for the rest to hear.

“What do you mean?” Soojin actually agreed with Soyeon, but the girl’s answer made her think that something actually happened. “Why?”.

“I don’t know… Look, guys, I’m ok, alright? There’s no need to worry about it.”

Miyeon had a smile on, but the looks on the girls' faces told Miyeon that they weren’t buying it. She sighed.

“If this keeps happening, I’ll consider taking some night pills. Or even going to the doctor” she tried. Luckily that seemed to dissolve some of their worries. “Is just a bit of lack of sleep, I’m not gonna die!”

“Would you like me to spend the night with you?” Soojin offered. “Like the old times” Miyeon smiled at the memory. Her, Soojin and Soyeon had shared apartment for the first year of university of the two younger girls.

Shuhua immediately frowned at that. Soojin rolled her eyes at her, prompting her girlfriend to play along with her. But, of course, the Taiwanese girl didn’t listen.

“What about a sleepover?!” She let out excitingly. “You now, Jinjin… All together.”

Before the older ones interfered Yuqi came out in her defence.

“Yeees, please! It’s being so looong!” Miyeon couldn’t resist her cuteness and the Chinese girl knew that. So, after looking at the other two for their approval, she agreed.

Well… that wasn’t what Soyeon was planning, but if it helped Miyeon she would gladly comply. On the other hand, Miyeon was beyond happy. Of course, she was a bit hesitant, but she was glad she wasn’t going to spend the night alone.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Soon enough the moon appeared in the sky and all the girls were preparing dinner. Well, at least Soojin and Soyeon were, the rest could be found waiting for it in the living room. They had decided to go to Soojin and Shuhua’s house since it was the biggest.

Yuqi, being the thoughtful friend that she is, had offered to take the couch so Miyeon and Soyeon could rest in the free room. But Yuqi had to admit that she didn’t want to be sleeping in the same room as Soyeon, if so, she wouldn’t sleep at all. (By all means, Soojin and Shuhua were sleeping in the oldest room.)

“Dinner will be ready soon” Soyeon’s head popped out of the kitchen door. Meanwhile, Yuqi and Shuhua were bickering while playing videogames.

Miyeon was just looking at them. Making sure that the two kids weren’t going to kill each other, she excused herself and walked towards the bathroom. She opened the tap, letting the water run for a couple of seconds. She took the bar of soap and started to rub it against her hand.

She diverted her gaze towards the mirror and a pair of brown eyes found hers through the reflection. She let out a scream, dropping the soup and closed her eyes tightly. She could feel her presence behind her, her breath hitting her in the back of the neck. It was warm and it was sending shivers down her spine, but it was also strangely comforting.

“Miyeon!” Soyeon knocked on the door “Are you ok? I heard a scream”

Miyeon opened her eyes, hoping that the slightly taller girl was gone. Unfortunately, she was still there. The girl had a relaxed expression on her face, it almost seemed… happy.

How the heck did she come here? Is she even real?

“Miyeon?” Soyeon’s voice denoted concerned.

“Y-yes… I just dropped the soap” she tried to sound steady, that wasn’t exactly what her hands were showing. They were somewhat shaking. “I’ll be there soon”

“Ok! But hurry up, you know our maknaes are like hyenas” Soyeon laughed, more relaxed now. Soon after, her footsteps disappeared.

Miyeon turned around, ready to ask at least a thousand questions, but the other girl beat her to it.

“Hi” she said. Her tone was so delicate and soothing that Miyeon felt safe instantly. But she recovered her composure soon enough.

“Really? That’s all you have to say?” Her voice came out an octave higher. The fact that the woman’s smile was the most beautiful thing that Miyeon had ever seen, didn’t mean she wasn’t angry and very confused. “Do you know how I’ve… You can’t just–

“I’ve finally found you”

Miyeon immediately stayed quiet. She certainly wasn’t expecting that. Did she really say that? Was the girl looking for her? Why?

“Excuse me?”

“The darkness…” she sounded spooked all of the sudden “I just followed your voice.”

“My… my voice?” Miyeon didn’t understand a thing. “What do you mean? How? Why?”

“I– I just know you”

What was Miyeon supposed to say? She didn’t have the slightest idea, all it came out from her was:

“Are you real?”

The other girl furrowed her eyebrows. But just when she was about to answer, the bathroom door opened.

“Hey, are you coming?” Soojin looked expectantly at Miyeon, who was weirdly facing the wall. The girl just waited for an answer.

“… Yeah, let’s go” Miyeon had expected the stranger to disappear again, isn’t that what ghosts did? Wait, did she just assume the girl was a ghost? Ghosts didn’t exist… But what else could she be? A genie? Ok now you are just being ridiculous, Miyeon.

To Miyeon’s surprise, the presence left her when Soojin and her had entered the living room where they were going to eat. She ate more than she expected and she was grateful for it. Surely, Soojin hadn’t mentioned the… being she was talking to, so she couldn’t see her. Did that mean she was the only one who could see her? And why her?

That’s when she began to plan a strategy. They were supposed to start a new drama after dinner. She will fake falling asleep, so the rest had no choice but to sleep in the rooms, letting her on the couch. Of course, she wasn’t planning on sleeping at all. Now she was determined to find out what was happening, and for that, she needed to stay alone in the living room. She had the feeling that the girl would appear again.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

As you know, you can let me know if you are liking this! I hope I can update regularly, but I'm in the middle of exams so... we'll see what happens hehe. Let me know what you think so I'm aware in case I need to change something. See you soon!