ii.

thy kingdom come.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The castle of Johwa is a fine structure with beautiful scenery surrounding the land. The cracked stonewalls that are now stained with streams of rust and blotches of ash were once an ivory fortress. This place was built as a stronghold during the civil war that began ripping apart the royal officials and the kingdom.  

Defense and high regard were needed during that time. Where the King protected himself from his power-hungry, greedy men once deemed allies. A time where honor and nobility disintegrated on the battlefield, lost in the blood, sweat, and tears. The Castle stood today to represent the loss of a nation, now divided into three independent lands. 

King Namjoon never spoke anything more of it. He had no desire to teach the history of the ground Jimin walked. Jimin was the most curious, even after all these years his questions refused to be acknowledged. Even if his father wouldn’t tell him about the war, he vowed he’d learn it somewhere. That also meant leaving the grounds and sneaking around.

There was only one condition Namjoon placed on his children; they were not allowed past the castle walls. 

Although he had one rule, the King was never on top of his children as he should’ve been. He believed his children would love him more if they were given free will and spirit. But as they grew into young adults, he realized the grave mistake he made. Their behavior now was not of those you would label as noble and esteemed traits. And it was too late to change them.

Or maybe he was too “busy” to attempt to.

This is what Jimin was thinking as, with the help of Chanyeol, they scaled the large stone and iron wall bordering the outskirts of the castle yard. His side got caught on a finial on the way down, causing him to tear his clothes. The satchel he carried in his arms also fell back down on the other side of the wall. 

The young man groaned and ran his fingers stressfully through his shiny, platinum blonde hair. Usually, he was always so happy and playful. His smile was sprouted from a joyous soul inside him, much like how a flower blooms in the spring. Everyone could see how deep inside his glowing smile spread throughout him; you could see it in his voice, word choice, and his actions.

Everything about Jimin was tender, understated compassion for everyone. It was almost impossible to make him upset unless you messed with something he loves. That satchel has been with him for as long as he can remember and he carries everything important to him in there. And he had something he couldn’t afford to lose, just the thought made him want to cry.

“My bag, Chanyeol,” He hastily announced, turning in a panic towards his butler. “We need to go back and grab it.”

Jimin has the most alluring of eyes, they were probably what drew people to be around him. They are light brown but darken depending on his mood. They shone gleamingly as they reflected the setting sun’s remaining warmth. Even while upset, his doe eyes always smiled, crinkling at the sunlight. It is the radiance of his eyes that make every man and woman he meets feel compelled to smile back. 

Those eyes were the most sincere and purest Chanyeol had ever seen.

“But my lord, we already arrived too late. The king will have both of our heads if he’s found out.”

Even after being told he would send someone to retrieve it, Jimin still wouldn’t move. He wanted help to get back over but his butler wished to rush them back into the castle. Jimin couldn’t care less about his father finding him out here next to the wall. No, there were important things in that bag he needed. He hadn’t snuck out for no reason. And he didn’t want to wait until later.

From the direction of the watchtowers, a soldier on horseback was quickly approaching the two. Chanyeol began to panic and asked his master what shall they do now. Jimin hopped down from the wall, seeing there was no way he’d make it over and back in time. He clenched his fists and took a few steps towards the loud canter of the white horse. He straightened his back and took a deep breath. 

“Ahh, young master,” The guard yelled to them, sheathing his sword. “What are you doing over here?”

“Don’t you have anything better to do?” 

Jimin rolled his eyes and tried to walk away from the situation. However, the guard blocked the Prince’s path with his horse. The young man sighed and attempted to go around again with only the same result. “You know I have to take you back to see the King. You’re not allowed near or outside this here wall.”

The two stared at each other for quite some time, maybe only for a moment that felt like awhile. They locked eyes and each of their gazes was filled with intensity. The man hopped off his horse, leading it by the reins closer to the delinquent and his accomplice. Chanyeol was becoming even more uneasy and wanted to run, but felt like his feet were bolted to the ground.

And literally out of nowhere, the two began to...laugh?

Jimin began to break first as he couldn’t hold a straight face anymore. He snorted a little, his cheeks began to puff and his nose crinkled trying to hold back his outburst. The guard upon seeing his face began to smirk and pressing his lips to keep them and his composure together. But fighting it was no use as they found themselves hunched over unable to suppress their fit of laughter.

“Jimin?” Chanyeol stood there stiff as a board, nervously laughing along with them. 

“Oh, I’m sorry Channie,” The young man began catching his breath and wiping his tear-filled eyes.

Jimin explained that Jongdae was a friend of his along with many of the castle workers and other guards. He was unlike his older sister and was very social and friendly with the help. Sometimes there were advantages in doing so, like being able to sneak around and rely on people covering for you. The Prince often visited the Knights’ lodging to drink and play games.

He once trained with Jongdae a few years ago, before he was moved to the watchtowers. The two of them haven’t seen or spoken to each other in a while since Jongdae was always on night watch, therefore unable to visit the lodging with the Prince present. However, it seems Jongdae wasn’t that great at his job because he has not stopped Jimin before at the wall. Jimin mentions this.

“I don’t normally watch at this time, I’m only doing so because Minseok fell sick on me.” The young guard crossed his arms in a pout.

“What happened?” A curious butler questioned.

“What happened?!” Jongdae repeated louder, trying to suppress a chuckle. “Our young master tried to drink him under the table...and you still lost!” Jimin laughed, turning his face to hide his embarrassment.

Jimin was then told that he still owed the afternoon watchman his money. Puzzled, the Prince asked what he was talking about. Minseok told Jongdae to cover for him after explaining what had happened the night before. After being told he was a moron, the ill guard told him about the bet that was made beforehand. The only thing that drove him to do something so stupid; Money.

Money that Jimin didn’t have.

Well, of course, he has money. He is the Prince of Johwa after all. His father gives him and his siblings anything they ask for, including any amount of money they want. For whatever reason, without questions. The money was given for the sole purpose to go to the village with the company of a royal official with explicit permission from Namjoon. That is it. 

Jimin had money, but not on him at the moment. He was more than willing to cough up the prize that his sick friend more than rightly deserved. But his satchel, it h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter