Unexpected Fondness

Unexpected Fondness

The cacophony of barks, distinct smell and busy hallways are what accompanies Mark almost everyday, after a whole month of experience, he eventually became fond of the setting. He's been his uncle Yoonho's apprentice in the Vet Clinic. Mark does the minor works yet Yoonho can tell that he's much of a help for him since they're short in employees and they literally didn't have enough time to scout one. 

Besides, Mark's been getting perks aside from his free meals and a salary, he's the only one who could have unlimited access in the vending machine. He's basically a er for a milk in a carton.

Everyone in the vet is having a pretty serene time not until a sunkissed boy barged unruly, with his hair dishiveled and an awful expression in the face. There's so much to point out yet Mark still finds him pretty that way. The younger's breath was ragged and his pupils are shaking, Mark instinctively let go of the mop and trailed closer towards the boy. 

"Sir, have some sit first." Mark's hands are shaky but he still managed to hold Haechan on the arm yet he was being shoved away.

"No! Let me talk to the Veterinarian first so I can get my Coco back!" Haechan is kinda attracting the other's attention and the pets are becoming aggresive with someone's shouting that's why Mark brought Haechan to an empty hallway.

"Let's settle your business here until you calm down." It's quite evident that Haechan was being dominated by his own feelings and frustrations. Coco must've been so important to him. Mark saw the vending machine and thought a carton of strawberry milk can soften the raging boy.

After finishing his drink, Mark crouched down so he could see through the younger's eyes. "When's the last time you saw Coco? I always scan through our list everyday and as far as I can remember, that Coco was released last month. We can't cater dogs here for so long, as you can see our clinic's not too spacious for that."

Haechan stared at him blankly. "To be frank with you, I can't remember anything, It was all vague and I thought my dog is hurt that's why I thought I could find him here. I guess, today's not my lucky day, I couldn't get ahold of my friend." He finished his litany with a faint sob, while Mark was being puzzled with his own feelings, there's a sudden urge in him to envelop the boy in his arms but he halted himself, at least, not now.

Mark stood up straight, fully determined to lift the golden boy's spirit. " You know what? You shouldn't slump your shoulder like that and give up yet. Who knows? Maybe he's wandering outside right now, waiting to be found but you're sitting in here. Let's go!" Haechan just blinked then he was being dragged by a stranger.


They spent the noon roaming around, depending on where their feet would lead them. Each steps that Haechan does are heavy, he doesn't have much hope left in him but the older boy is still full of enthusiasm. Haechan smiled without knowing.


The two boys shrieked in unison as they feel the sudden downpour dampen their skins, Mark dragged Haechan to get into a shelter yet he can't find the resistance to steal glances at the boy who's being ethereal even though he's slightly drenched.


They ended up sitting inside the convenience store. Mark treated Haechan with a hotdog in buns and the latter seems be to having the time of his life while munching. Haechan asked for his number and Mark got so shy he ended up being pierced by lethal stares.


When the sun is bidding goodbye and the sky showed streaks of perfect shade of orange and violet, they figured that they need to part ways for a while. Haechan finds it hard to let the older go but he still sent him home with the biggest smile he could muster.

"Will we meet again?"

"We'll make it possible."