not

(not) lemon
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

there's a loud bang followed by a heap of smokes coming from the pentagram drawn on nayeon's bedroom's floor. 

 

she frowns and looks down to the roll of parchment laid on her desk, courtesy of rummaging around her grandfather's old library in the attic thirty minutes ago, the title on top read how to summon a lemon. she does a quick read over the overly-complicated steps and nayeon's sure she doesn't miss anything, down to the last step which is adding 3 drops of her blood. 

 

she frowns deeper and looks back to the smoke, suddenly catching a whiff of flowery scent coming from them. why a lemon smells like flower? and how big is this lemon exactly? because nayeon sees a tall shadow looming over the smoke. 

 

right then, something steps out of the fading smoke, and, nayeon's pretty sure it's not a lemon. a man in black - black shirt, black suit, black shoes, black hair - stands before her, with pale skin, sharp features, and eyes blacker than black, staring straight at her. he looks intimidating that nayeon unknowingly takes a step back.

 

"are you the one who calls me, my lady?" the man speaks, the remains of greyish purple smoke thinning around him. maybe he's not that intimidating, because his voice is soft and calming, and when he speaks, his lips turned upward a little bit, soften his features and reminds nayeon of a cat. 

 

"uuummmm," there's a lot of question marks in nayeon's head, but all she manages to say is, "you're not a lemon."  she's still trying to process what happened, why there's this man instead of a lemon inside the pentragam she drew? 

 

"... am i supposed to?" he asks back, looking both confused and worried that he's not a lemon.  

 

"uh, i--," nayeon scratches her temple with her index finger, "--want to summon a lemon, actually, not sure where i went wrong..." she grabs the parchment on her desk and studies it once again from the beginning. maybe she puts the ingredients in the wrong order? not enough cat's bones powder? has the toad's saliva expired? 

 

the man peeks over the parchment, and then he clears his throat. nayeon glances up at him. "i believe that's... not the steps to summon a lemon. the cursive writing is read... ah. well." 

 

"huh?" nayeon looks at the man who smiles somewhat awkwardly at her then looks down back to her parchment. the title is indeed written in cursive, in a fancy handwriting she recognizes as her grandfather's. "how to summon a--," she reads out loud and stops abruptly when she realizes something important. "... demon." as she finishes, she looks at the man.

 

"that's me," he says, smiling again, out of stereotype. "jisoo at your service, my lady." 

 

nayeon can only stare. no wonder her friends call her haphazardly gifted. somehow she summons a demon when she means to produce a lemon. maybe she should have realized sooner. the blood's a good indication. or maybe all the suspiciously long list of ingredients that shouldn't needed for producing a lemon. speaking of a lemon--

 

nayeon rolls the parchment in her hands and puts it away. "uh. so. you said your name is jisoo?" the demon nods his head in encouragement. what a soft name for a demon, nayeon can't wait to tell her best friend that she shares the same name with a demon. "like i said before... actually, i just need a lemon, sorry for the mistake calling you here, so anyway. can you, maybe, uhh... go home now?" nayeon smiles at the demon, hoping it'll enough to forgive her. her parents will kill her in a cold blood if they find - demon or not - a man in her room. between that certainty and the uncertainty of getting killed by an upset demon, she'll take the risk. 

 

"oh." jisoo blinks slowly like he's trying to understand nayeon's request. he casts his gaze down, and he... looks dejected? looks so sad?? why nayeon feels like she has just committed a crime?? "well... figures, no one willingly summon me anyway...," jisoo murmurs to himself but still nayeon catches his words. "... people actually summon a lemon, but not a demon..." he's still murmuring to himself while nayeon grows uncomfortable in her place, secretly wriggling her

Please log in to read the full chapter