Chapter 4

Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Foundation

Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Foundation

By: TheRealityWeWanted

Mari

 

 

When the YouTube video ended, I realized I had a little problem.

 

I’d spent my entire lunch break looking up NCT 127 music videos. And fancams and pics of Haechan. My client. My very young client who couldn’t legally drink in the states.

 

At first it was to see how my work was coming out on camera, but then I found myself getting into the performances. I’d watched a few NCT MVs and lives when Chit told me he’d essentially be in the Chinese equivalent, but it was so long ago I had to start from scratch. By the time I hit Cherry Bomb, I was in awe of the group. Haechan in particular. His voice was light but soulful, and his fluid dance style was really appealing. 

 

He was also gorgeous if I was being honest with myself. Especially in the videos and photos where he was allowed to look like himself. It made it easier to understand some of the nicknames fans made up. Aside from Melanin King, there was Full Sun (the most popular), and Pudu. I had to google what that was, and when I found out it was a type of deer, I couldn’t help but melt. Haechan did look like one. 

 

I’d analyzed his face both of the times I’d done his makeup, so it was easy to recall his round eyes, button nose, and bronze skin. He was a pudu personified. But a mischievous one.

 

I groaned and put my phone to sleep. My break was over. I had to get back to the main makeup room. I was about to get up when my phone vibrated with a FaceTime.

 

“Hey, Lolly!”

 

That’s what I’d been calling my grandmother since I was old enough to speak. I would’ve probably called my grandpa Pop (so together they’d be Lolly & Pop) but he’d died before I was born. 

 

“Aigoo, my little puppy. You look so thin!” She positioned her phone so I was practically looking up her nostrils. “Are you eating?”

 

I laughed. “Yes, in fact I just finished lunch.”

 

“What did you have?”

 

I switched to the back camera on my phone so she could see the empty carton of ramen.

 

“Ma-ri-yah! How many times do I have to tell you to leave that ramen alone. Eat rice!”

 

“Yes, Lolly.”

 

God, she was adorable. At five-one and well into her seventies, my Lolly was a force of nature. She was quick as a whip and outspoken. She had very few fine lines and wrinkles, so she looked great for her age. Even more so, because of a refusal to cut her hair and perm it like her friends. It tumbled down her back in waves, thick and black as ink. 

 

I guess she’d have to be a tough person to withstand the opposition she faced for marrying my grandpa in a time where marriages were unheard of, and raising my dad.

 

My grandpa had come to Korea on business and fell in love with her, but I only knew him through stories. That’s why I cherished my relationship with my Lolly, and partially why I moved back to Seoul.

 

“When are you coming to Incheon to see me?” She asked with a look of disapproval. “It seems like that company is always making you work late and calling you in on your day off.”

 

“Yeah…but I’m grateful to have a job. Chit told me the unemployment rate among young people is pretty high.” 

 

Her eyes softened. “That’s true. You get that hard-working, grateful spirit from your grandfather. I just can’t believe you’ve been here almost a month and I still haven’t gotten to see you.”

 

“How about I come over in two weeks?” I’d take PTO so Min-ji wouldn’t try and call me in.

 

“Okay, I’ll make your favorite.”

 

“Mmm…jaeyook bokkeum.” I patted my belly. “Are you still using your guest room as storage?”

 

“No, but you’re still sleeping in my room.”

 

“Lolly, I’m twenty-five.”

 

“I wouldn’t care if you were forty! My granddaughter who I never get to see is staying in my room, and that’s that. We can talk until the sun comes up. It’ll be fun.”

 

I sighed. There was no arguing with her. “Fine, I’ll see you soon. Love you.”

 

I ended the FaceTime and went back into the main makeup room. 

 

That day I worked on EXO’s Baekhyun since he was in the middle of a comeback, Changmin from TVXQ, and a few Girls Generation members who had various activities.

 

Just like Lolly had accused, Min-ji asked me to stay late again.

 

I said yes and stuck balled up fists in my black smock. 

 

A little voice in my head pointed out that the rest of the night would’ve been tolerable if a certain pudu and his group were here.

 

 

 

***

 

 

The next day the same thing happened. I worked my off, and sighed internally each time the artist sitting in my chair wasn’t a member of NCT 127. Did they have another day off?

 

I was approaching the end of my shift and looking forward to going home and sleeping when Min-ji walked over to me. My spine stiffened. Again? I’d stayed late almost every day this week.

 

“Mari-sshi,” she chirped, tone sickly sweet. “Do you mind sta—”

 

“Yes, I do mind. I really won’t be able to today. Sorry.”

 

She paused, smile never leaving her face. “Oh…do you have a family emergency?”

 

I hesitated, “No.”

 

“So you just want to go home and relax?”

 

I didn’t like the implication, but I’d had enough. “To be honest, yes. I’ve stayed late for you almost every day this week.”

 

Min-ji crossed her arms. If she wasn’t a makeup artist, she could’ve easily been on a runway during Seoul Fashion Week. “I know you may not be used to working this hard since the work culture is… pretty lax in America. But staying late is the norm in Korea. Employees are happy to do what they need to do for their employers.”

 

My throat tightened in anger. I squeezed the beauty blender in my hand until it molded with my skin. “I’m a hard worker and a team player, Min-ji. That’s why I stay late whenever you ask even though I’m new.”

 

“A month is hardly new. Unless you classify yourself as a slow learner.”

 

She was landing every jab with that stupid smile. It was the type of passive aggressive behavior I despised, but had come across frequently while working for SM.

 

“With all due respect, have you asked anyone else?”

 

There was a charged silence before Min-ji’s careful words.

 

“I’m not quite sure what you mean, Mari-sshi. I hope you’re not trying to imply I’m treating you any differently. I hear people like you use that trick in America to get their employers in trouble, but I don’t think that will work here.”

 

Her words had the same effect as a slap to the face. I couldn’t believe this was happening. All I’d wanted to know was if she’d tried anyone else, because I’d feel differently if I was her last resort. I wasn’t thinking beyond that. 

 

Early on my Lolly had taught me that people looked for themselves in others. Liars thought everyone lied, thieves thought everyone stole, and murderers thought everyone felt bloodlust.

 

It was for that reason I tried not to make big assumptions.

 

But Min-ji had proven to be manipulative, so did she think everyone else was manipulative too? 

 

I’d been nothing but accommodating and respectful since my first day, so for her to think I’d make that kind of false claim floored me.

 

We stood there staring at each other as the other three makeup artists in the room watched with rapt interest.

 

What was I supposed to do in this situation? She was obviously dead set on having me stay late or she would’ve dropped it when I’d told her no. 

 

“Hi Min-ji noona!”

 

That voice. I hadn’t heard it in almost two days. 

 

I glanced past Min-ji to see Haechan standing next to Ha-rin, another makeup artist. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I looked away. 

 

His timing couldn’t have been worse.

 

“Ha-rin is offering to stay late,” he announced cheerfully. 

 

Min-ji and I jolted in surprise while Ha-rin looked uncomfortable. She looked like she wanted to say something, but didn’t.

 

“She’s decided to go clubbing with you another time so she can finish her shift,” Haechan continued. There was a glint of steel in his eyes.

 

“W-we weren’t going clubbing,” Min-ji stammered. “She was going to help me with something.”

 

I gaped at her, anger and dread leaking into my stomach. Out of all the times Min-ji had asked me to stay late, how many of those times were because she wanted another employee to go clubbing with her? 

 

I wanted to tell her off. Badly. For lying. For trying to gaslight me into thinking I was lazy and irresponsible. But I knew myself. Once I started, I wouldn’t be able to stop and I didn’t want to give her an actual reason to penalize or possibly fire me. 

 

So I just stood there in complete disbelief. 

 

Haechan soon walked up to me. “Come on, Mari noona. Let’s go.”

 

He took my wrist gently and lead me around a fuming Min-ji and an embarrassed Ha-rin.

 

“By the way.” He stopped and looked over his shoulder at them. “The hallway carries. Think about that next time you wanna do something like this, and don’t.”

 

He tugged on my arm and we left the room. In the main hallway, a few people looked at our joined hands, so I shook it off. He looked hurt at first then gave me his signature smile. The tips of his ears were pink. 

 

“In here. I don’t think anyone uses this room.”

 

I followed Haechan into the small dressing room and watched him shut and lock the door. 

 

“I heard them making plans to go out. Ha-rin said she couldn’t, because she worked late, but Min-ji noona said she’d just make you cover it.” He clenched his jaw. “I didn’t know she was that kind of person. Are you okay? Has this happened more than once?”

 

I nodded, wishing the roar of blood in my ears would quiet down. I was angry, but I was sad too. I’d experienced things like this before, but it was still hurtful no matter how many times it happened. I was grateful that Haechan had stepped in, but I suddenly felt…alone. My parents and everyone I knew was in the states, and my grandma lived over an hour away by subway. Chit, the only other person I knew in Korea, was in China.

 

I let out a shaky breath.

 

No. No, I better not cry.

 

I was twenty-five-years-old. I didn’t want to cry in front of someone barely out of his teens. 

 

“Excuse me.” I pulled out my phone, turned my back on Haechan, and called Chit. Him picking up was a long shot, but I desperately needed a friend right now. Someone who knew me. 

 

“Mari noona?” Haechan sounded worried, but I ignored him. 

 

Chit’s line rang and rang, then went to voicemail. I hung up and called again, and the same thing happened. I didn’t know why, but I decided to leave a message the second time. “Hey, Chit…” My voice trembled. “Um…I know you’re probably busy gyrating for underage Chinese girls, but when you hear this can you please call me back? Don’t worry about how late it is…just…just call me back. Please, okay? I’m sorry. I just miss you.”

 

I slipped my phone back into my pocket, back still to Haechan.

 

“Is there anything you want right now?” Even when he wasn’t singing, his voice was soothing.

 

“No, I’m okay. Thanks for what you did back there.”

 

“Should I…do you want me to take you home? You were supposed to leave now anyway, right?”

 

God, the kid was stubborn.

 

“Haechan, I’m fine. I’m just gonna get my stuff and—”

 

My stuff was back at my station.

 

And so were Min-ji and Ha-rin. Even if they’d moved, there’d be other people who witnessed everything. The gossip was probably already spreading. I groaned.

 

“I’ll go get your stuff,” Haechan volunteered as tribute.

 

Before I could object, he left the room. I collapsed into a metal folding chair and put my head in my hands. 

 

What was I doing? Things were already a mess!

 

Haechan returned quickly and asked me to check to see if he’d gotten everything. My rolling makeup bag, wallet, and keys were present, but there were a few items he’d probably forgotten on the counter of my station. It didn’t matter. They’d be there tomorrow. Or I could get new ones if someone decided to swipe them.

 

“Thanks,” I said with a tight smile.

 

Now I was going to go home and get drunk and cuddle Louis. Maybe I’d try calling Chit again.

 

“Hey.” Haechan touched my arm as I brushed past him, stalling me. “Is there anything you want?” he asked again.

 

I stared at him. His dark eyes were soft, but his jaw was set stubbornly.

 

I broke. “Pancakes. I want pancakes.”

 

He looked taken aback.

 

“I’ve been here for almost a month and I still haven’t been able to find a good pancake place.”

 

He kept staring then burst out laughing.

 

I frowned, mortified that I’d answered his question and he’d laughed at me. I turned to leave, but he grabbed the handle of my makeup kit, stopping it from rolling.

 

“Noona, wait. I’m sorry.”

 

I stared warily.

 

“It’s just that…you asked the right person.”

 

 

***

 

Author’s note: This was kind of a serious chapter, but we’ll be back to fluff (and apparently pancakes) on Friday! Yay for two updates in one week!

If you enjoyed this chapter please show that by voting and leaving a comment :) Thanks for reading.