let's whisper our wishes for a long time

nights on fifth (in between b and a)

 

 

 

Happy birthday.

The phrase hums through her veins, whispered (or yelled) into her ears throughout the day. It's plastered over her screen every time she chanced a look at her phone amidst the busy schedules the group has once again walked into.

 

("Nako-unnie old!" Yujin gleefully teased, earning a twitch of eye from Eunbi who's been watching from the sidelines—all too aware of remarks pertaining age.

"Now you can officially use the switch I gifted Hii-chan with," said Sakura after swallowing down a spoonful of ice cream. She wiggled the spoon she’s using, "Share well, don't fight!"

"Wait that was a gift for both Hii-chan and I?!"

"The economy is collapsing, Nako. The world is in shambles and fleeting delights can’t take top priority over food and—")

 

Nako bites back a snicker at the memory of Sakura attempting to launch into yet another speech. Yena had thankfully bounced over and snatched her away before Sakura could bring up the fact that the 20,000 won given to them during their reality show should have been a wake-up call at how they need to start saving money from now on. “Or we can rob the PD,” Hyewon had suggested out of the producers’ earshot—except Eunbi heard her and well.

That’s yet another brilliant plan foiled.

Nako shakes her head. She opens the door to her room and steps inside, taking note of the dim lighting—lamps already turned off save for the night lights on the table across Yuri's bunk. The latter is probably asleep; she's found Yuri awake late at night before, but that was prior to the comeback schedules swamping them with nearly endless activities now.

 

(If there was a more appropriate time to just fall onto their beds and pass out until another morning knocks by their door, now would be it.)

 

So she closes the door as soundlessly as she could and tiptoes towards the bunk, not wanting to wake her roommate up. Her eyes carefully watch the unmoving lump on Yuri's bed as she lands another silent step upon the floor—

"Stop sneaking like that, you look like a robber."

The sleepy remark gives her a surprised jolt, but her shoulders ease up a second later along with the huff escaping her lips. "What the hell, you're awake," Nako says as the occupant of the lower bunk tugs the blanket draping over them lower—Yuri peering from under the thick fabric.

"Those ice creams were some bad jujus. I’m sleepy but also probably high on sugar." Yuri shifts to push herself up, moving to sit. Her eyes meet Nako's, "Your birthday over yet?"

"Well technically in some parts of the world—"

Yuri throws a small cushion towards her and she catches it, light chuckles bubbling up as she clutches at the thrown cushion and walks closer to the sleepy, disgruntled red head.

"Go to sleep." Nako presses the cushion against the side of Yuri’s head, only releasing her hold when the latter finally grabs it. "Our schedules start early again tomorrow."

Yuri mums and for a moment Nako thinks that that’s it, a shift of her feet upon the floor ready to pivot towards the wooden stairs leading up to her own bunk.

Except Yuri then says, "Nako."

She stops, lightly turns. Head tilting in askance,

"Yes?"

"Lie down with me."

Nako raises her eyebrows. "And here I thought Saku-chan's gift is low enough,"

Yuri scoffs, though the curls of her lips are amused. "Stop sassing me and come here," she says, scooting and patting the empty side of the bunk. "I can use some human bolster."

Nako squints even as she obliges, moving to gingerly slip under the covers and settle next to Yuri. "If this is your way of calling me bolster-sized," she threateningly says, causing Yuri to crinkle her nose.

"You're mistaking me for Yujinnie,"

"You bully me a lot too!"

"After that grade A Korean outburst during Eat-ing Trip when the unnies betrayed Yena-unnie and you?" Yuri solemnly shakes her head, placing one palm over her heart. "No maam, I have a weak heart. Consider me wholly intimidated and scared away—"

A chorused ping interrupts Yuri's attempt at the dramatics (must be Minjoo's influence, Nako confidently decides) and they reach for their phones in unison, checking the notification. It's from their group chat, as expected, and it's Eunbi reminding everyone to get some rest and good work for today and please don’t forget that she loves them and happy birthday once again, nako. thank you for being here with us.

Nako smiles at the message, warmth unfurling and only spreading as replies start to rush in. happy birthday nako! goodnight everyone  — HAPPY BIRDDAY NAKO-UNNIE nightiesssss — hapddy brithrysay smol babs and gdodoniegg everygione — is that minjoo holy is she ok—

"Someone should take Min's phone away gosh what the hell is she even trying to say," Yuri comments, causing Nako to laugh. She replies to the group chat and bites her lip as a grin makes itself permanent on her face at the ensuing arguments happening in the group chat. It takes no less than ten minutes before she can finally set the phone aside, and she watches Yuri do the same until their phones are both slipped securely under the pillows.

 

("No wonder the alarms often fail to wake you up," Hitomi resignedly said, having just discovered the duo’s habit after Chaeyeon sent her to wake them up.

"But we have you," Nako beamed, Yuri dutifully nodding in agreement. “You’re more effective than any alarms there is, Hii-chan!” Four thumbs up cheerily greeted the roommate-less member, earnest and not at all like they’re in the wrong.

Chaeyeon walked into their room a minute later, concerned over Hitomi's frustrated screech.)

 

They lie down, side by side and perhaps a little cramped into a bed meant for one, but this isn't the first time they've done this. Nako doesn't mind—she’s long stopped minding sleeping in one bed with someone after she got into IZ*ONE, and seeing as Yuri is the one to ask her, the latter doesn't mind either.

"Nako."

Nako shifts to look at Yuri at the soft call, the latter's gaze still fixated on the bunk above them.

"Remember your birthday last year?" Yuri asks and Nako nods. A nod Yuri seems to catch out of the corner of her eye because a smile then slowly curves her lips, "A lot has happened since then, right?"

"For sure."

"I’m glad we're here now."

Yuri pauses as the sentence hangs in the air, and Nako watches her. Sometimes Yuri talks a bunch without actually telling much—there isn't a lot she tells in words unless one actively demands for it, like Yena does whenever the older deems Yuri to be hiding in her shell enough. Yuri is never cruel but she doesn't state her feelings outright either, preferring to express them through sentences one has to read or think twice about to get the full meaning of. Sometimes she turns to songs or settles with smiles and frowns, sometimes she lets her gestures speak for her in moments most fleeting.

So Nako learns to read them all.

I’m glad we're here now, Yuri said and Nako really hears I’m glad I got to room with you. I’m glad our group is still there after everything. I’m glad I could meet you and spend these days with you. I’m glad I got to know you in this lifetime.

So she swallows and says, "I’m glad too."

Yuri glances at her, smile widening slightly. The dim lighting glints at her eyes like there's a sheen of feelings—but Nako isn't surprised, not really. Yuri has always been a person who feels a lot, sometimes too much.

So after silence stretches for a bit Nako whispers,

"I’m happy." She is, completely. "You guys put the happy in happy birthday to me."

Yuri blinks, expels a breath that sounds almost like a huffed chuckle—then she adjusts her position to face Nako, the bunk heaving under her movements as she leans into Nako’s space. Nako watches unblinking as Yuri tilts her head to kiss her forehead, lips pressing warmly upon the skin between Nako's eyebrows.

And Yuri draws back after a second that feels like it lasts a lot longer, the smile on her lips melting down into an expression painted with fondness.

"I hope,” Yuri quietly speaks, “that that happiness will follow you everywhere."

And Nako thinks of still having them next year, and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that—to still have them put the happy in her birthdays, to have them and Yuri around her just like this.

But Yuri then whispers, "Goodnight, Nako."

And it’s all she could do to swallow at the warmth trickling in, first from her forehead then down to her cheeks and heart. Nako nods at Yuri's eyes, lips forming a smile as the latter leans away and curls up in preparation to doze off because tomorrow is yet another busy day for them—

Happy birthday, the phrase hums through her veins, and Yuri's gesture is the warmest end to this day that she could ever hope for.

So she curls her fingers around this feeling because while the next years are uncertain this year is hers to keep. She lets it pull her into a soft gratitude she'd like to remember for a long time, lets it wrap her in a cotton-like feeling she wishes to still have tomorrow.

Lets it part her lips and sing a whisper,

"Goodnight, Yuri."

Bright eyes flutter open to look at her at that and when Nako finally shifts to curl into the other girl's space, Yuri easily unravels to loop an arm around Nako's frame without as much as a question, allowing her to snuggle up.

"Don't snore," Yuri says after a moment, fixing the covers draped over them. "It's no longer your birthday tomorrow so no more passes."

Nako just snorts because if blared alarms couldn't wake them up then her own snore wouldn't have a chance, but she doesn't point it out. She lets Yuri have the final word and sinks instead into the warmth of the latter's embrace.

 

(Happy birthday.

The phrase courses warmly through her veins—in the voices and writing styles of a hundreds if not more, paving the butterfly road she’s walking on.

She drifts into dreams with a smile.)

 

 

 

[01z]