004

Heart of Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“...And that is why twins are taboo in our culture.”

 

Prince Junmyeon was listening quite attentively to her stories about the Fire Kingdom. It had become almost a routine for her to perform a check-up, and then serve his medicinal tea every morning. More often than not, she would be asked to stay behind in his room. She felt like it was to keep him company and provide some entertainment, but he swore it was to keep an eye on her.

 

Jaera had to admit that it was not all bad spending time with the prince. She was still not feeling well from her cold, though. He was still stony, but less snarky towards her, plus, he was extremely handsome.

 

“Raising a child is difficult. Imagine raising twins,” he scoffed. “That would be a nightmare.”

 

She tried to steer the conversation into the direction she wanted. “Especially if they were twins that could water bend.”

 

“Contrary to popular belief, children do not uncontrollably bend their element,” he said absentmindedly. “If they do not know the right techniques, or how to harness the energy from their bodies, then there is no way they can bend. Bending is an entirely conscious art.”

 

That came as a surprise to her. Bending could not be done unconsciously. That meant that whoever froze Prince Junmyeon’s heart, had to have done it with pure intention.

 

She pretended that this new piece of information did not affect her. “No wonder I did not notice Chanyeol firebending even once. Being as clumsy as he is, he would definitely light the whole castle on fire by accident.”

 

He laughed. It was very nice to hear, especially since he did not do it often. Jaera relished in his carefree laughter that she had the privilege to hear.

 

He glanced at the clock. “Perhaps you should go back. It is almost time for lunch already. Our talk about taboos and traditions took up quite a while.”

 

She tried not to protest as she packed up her things. She had grown to enjoy his company and it was fun to hear his stories. He carried on with his own work as she bid him goodbye. He grunted in response.

 

The guard outside the prince’s room smiled as she exited. “His Highness seems to be in a good mood lately.”

 

She nodded. “I am glad that is so.”

 

Bidding the guard goodbye, she headed down to the staff kitchen for lunch. She had to return the teacup and clean up her equipment as well.

 

Most of the healers were already in the kitchen when she arrived. They greeted her merrily.

 

“How was His Highness?” Madam Jung asked.

 

“His temperature went up by half a degree. It is back to thirty-five,” said Jaera. “Other than that, he is cold to the touch as usual.”

 

“That means that our black tea is working! Slow progress is better than no progress at all. Good job, Jaera. At first, I was quite worried when he requested for you to be on duty every morning, but you proved to do your job well.”

 

Jaera shook her head. “Prince Junmyeon is much nicer after you get to know him. It is no hassle.”

 

“You two make a good match. He is in a better mood lately, and you seem to have made a new friend too.”

 

“I believe we enjoy each other’s company.”

 

“Ah! Before I forget, Prince Chanyeol sent you a letter. Here it is.” Madam Jung presented her a small envelope with familiar handwriting.

 

Her lips stretched into a smile. Accepting the letter, she grabbed a piece of bread and sat at the corner of the room. She had not spoken to him for weeks now.

 

Dear Jaera,

I hope this letter finds you well. How have you been? There have been reports on fluctuation in the weather, although at a few degrees, and that must be affecting the King’s health. However, I have strong faith in our healers from the Fire Kingdom.

 

I am quite restless here in the Fire Kingdom. Our people are fine, the weather is fine, and there is nothing to do. So, I have decided to travel to the Water Kingdom soon under the guise of attending a conference with the ministers and rulers.

 

I will be seeing you on the week of the full moon! Do not miss me too much in the meantime.

Regards, Chanyeol.

 

The letter was short and sweet. She immediately perked up when she realised that her best friend was going to visit her. It would be nice to have someone familiar around. He would even be able to help her solve Prince Junmyeon’s case.

 

“Letter from someone special back home?”

 

Jaera almost dropped it when she heard Seulgi’s voice from behind her. “Did you have to sneak up on me like that?”

 

“I was not trying to scare you. You were just too engrossed in that letter,” she pointed out. “Do not let the prince see it, though. He might get mad.”

 

Seungwan snickered from beside her.

 

“You are assuming things. Prince Junmyeon would not see me as a potential lover,” she laughed. “And this is a letter from the Fire Kingdom prince. He is my best friend.”

 

“His Highness has been surprisingly chipper over the past few days and it definitely has to do with the fact that you see him every single morning.”

 

Seungwan nodded in agreement. “Might I add that he was the one who requested for you in the first place? The rumours have to be right. You look too much like his ex-fiance for it to be all a coincidence.”

 

Oh, if they only knew. “I would much prefer doing more research.”

 

“Oh please, you always end up reading that book about bending that I lent you,” said Seungwan. “There should be more of them in the library, but it is in another section. Way at the back, on the very last shelf.”

 

A plan began to formulate in Jaera’s head before she even knew it. Maybe she could finally get all her answers, but it would have to wait until Chanyeol arrived. On the week of the full moon.

 

-

 

She did not know how it happened, but it already did. She was in love with the prince.

 

Okay, love was too strong of a word. She liked the prince more than a friend. She saw him as a man.

 

Her feelings for him grew so gradually that it hit her when she least expected it. He had been called out for a meeting with the governors and that meant that she had to leave after conducting her routine check-ups.

 

A strange feeling bubbled up inside of her when she was not in his room as usual. She was supposed to be focused on helping the Water Kingdom healers with something; she was not paying attention. Instead, she was thinking of Prince Junmyeon.

 

Get over it. He is a prince and you are only a healer that he intends to keep an eye on.

 

That is what she told herself to get her going through the day.

 

That was, until he was called for a meeting a second time. She was more excited than usual to serve him his medicine, and when the time came for him to leave, she felt as if a part of her was missing.

 

Jaera itched to see him, even if it was just a glimpse. She could not even focu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter