005

Heart of Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Prince Chanyeol has arrived!” Madam Jung announced as Jaera was just getting her lunch. She had just come downstairs from Prince Junmyeon’s room. “He is outside greeting the advisor.”

 

Jaera perked up, almost dropping her food. It had been ages since she last saw her best friend. However, she could not simply barge outside just to see him. She ran towards the door separating the dining area from the outside. If she cracked the door open just a tiny bit, she would be able to catch a glimpse of him.

 

Chanyeol was speaking to Advisor Oh, back straight with a smile plastered on his face. She recognized a few officials from the Fire Kingdom standing beside him.

 

He spotted her from the corner of his eye and almost immediately, the corners of his lips twitched upwards. He said something to the advisor before leaving them for the dining area.

 

“Park Jaera!” His voice was loud as he called out to his best friend.

 

She opened the door for him before getting enveloped in a tight hug. “Hello, Chanyeol.”

 

“It has been so dull without you in the castle! There were problems regarding bribes in the northern part of our kingdom recently, and I had to spend days just questioning the officials there. How are you? You did not write back.”

 

“I was busy,” she said. “Every morning I have to do routine check-ups on Prince Junmyeon and then I gather with the team for meetings and discussions in the evening.”

 

“How is the Ice K- Prince Junmyeon treating you? Every morning you have to see him, you said?”

 

And afternoons, most of the time. But he did not need to know that yet. “He is alright,” she said dismissively. “The people here have been very nice to us, actually. What conference are you here for?”

 

“Something about updating our trade policies, nothing too big. How are the others? Where is your team?”

 

She led him over to where the healers were having their lunch. They got onto their feet to bow at the sight of him. The Water Kingdom healers looked intrigued, probably because he was so different from Prince Junmyeon. Chanyeol was much taller, his skin was tanner, and he was all smiles.

 

“At ease. Please, I do not want to intrude on your meal,” he said, but no one dared to sit back down. “To my Fire Kingdom healers, thank you for working hard in a foreign place. To the Water Kingdom healers, I thank you for treating my people kindly.”

 

Chanyeol beamed so genuinely that it automatically made everyone smile. They looked entranced by the tall prince.

 

“Sorry Madam Jung, but is it possible for me to borrow Jaera for a while? I will have her back in time for your meeting,” he requested.

 

The head healer merely waved a hand. She knew how close the two of them were. “We have a meeting in an hour and a half.”

 

Jaera was whisked away into the gardens. She had not really been to this part of the castle.

 

“Are you alright here in the Water Kingdom? Are you sure that the Ice King is treating you properly?” Chanyeol fired questions at her once they were alone. “You have never been very good with the cold.”

 

“I am fine.” She stretched out the last syllable. “This is my job. It is my duty to the Fire Kingdom to complete this mission, so the weather is hardly something I can complain about. Prince Junmyeon has been fine to me.”

 

“The stories of the Ice King have spread far and wide-”

 

“Please do not call him that.”

 

“Sorry, stories of Prince Junmyeon have spread till our kingdom. I know how cruel and cold-hearted he is to his people. And with you encountering him every single day, you must be experiencing all of that first-hand. Just say the word, and I can get you out of here.”

 

“Chanyeol, I-”

 

He sighed. “I have already told you before you went on this mission, that it would not be easy. I am just worried for your wellbeing. I want to help.”

 

Jaera exhaled deeply as she thought of their last encounter back at home. He was not in favour of her travelling to the snowy Water Kingdom because she easily fell sick in the cold. She decided not to tell him that she was still taking medication for her latest cold.

 

“I know how you can be of help.” She dropped her voice to a whisper. “I need you to tell me about waterbending.”

 

“What?!”

 

“I cannot give you the details,” she said, still whispering. “But I need to know. Could someone’s bending be powerful enough to manipulate the weather? Or to affect the insides of their bodies?”

 

“Where are you going with this? You know that this information is supposed to be secret.”

 

“Since when have there been secrets between us, Chanyeol?” Jaera was desperate now. He was her only source of information. “Please, this could be the key to curing the prince.”

 

“I thought you all were here for the king?”

 

She mentally cursed herself for her slipup. “It is a long story, and we only have an hour until my meeting.”

 

He his lips nervously. She was giving him that look. “I will tell you what I know, only if you let me know what this information is going to be used for. I cannot simply divulge you with so much information.”

 

“The reason the Water Kingdom had to call us for help was not because of King Kim,” she whispered, leaning close to his ear. “Apparently, his son has a heart of ice. And I suspect that it has something to do with waterbending. Prince Junmyeon knows that I know too.”

 

Chanyeol furrowed his brows, but did not tell her that she was crazy. “That... actually makes sense.”

 

“It does!”

 

It was his turn now to lean in close to her, in fear of other people listening in. “I only know about firebending, but it is enough to bring out the intensity of the sun when there are thunderstorms. It does not happen often, so we do not firebend. But it is possible.”

 

“And about having a heart of ice?”

 

“It is possible to use bending for healing purposes, or torture, actually. That was very long ago when bending was very much alive. Now, most royalty do not possess such prowess to do this. Besides, it sounds very dangerous. Even my own bending skills cannot match.”

 

“I need to do more research,” she sighed. “But the prince always makes sure I am nowhere near the library.”

 

“Why are you so invested in this prince?”

 

“He is much nicer than the rumours make him seem, Chanyeol. Prince Junmyeon is quite different once you get to know him. He wishes to be a great ruler to his kingdom, despite his icy exterior. He always makes sure I am warm.”

 

He narrowed his gaze on her. After a few moments, he sighed. “I am sure you already know that sooner or later, you have to return to the Fire Kingdom. You will not be able to stay here forever.”

 

“I know. But whatever I am feeling, I still have to heal him. I need you to do another favour for me, please.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Distract Prince Junmyeon for me. I only need fifteen minutes to get into the library and get all the information I need.”

 

“And you are absolutely positive that you will be able to get this done?”

 

“I swear on it.”

 

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps were coming from behind her. She quickly stepped away from Chanyeol.

 

“Jaera, you are wanted in His Highness’ room,” Seungwan called out. “He said that it was urgent. I would hurry if I were you. Sorry, Prince Chanyeol.”

 

What could the prince want now? She leaned in one more time towards Chanyeol. “Just make sure Prince Junmyeon is not at the library. Just fifteen minutes.”

 

-

 

“Your Highness? I was told that I was needed urgently. What is the matter?” said Jaera, panting after running up the many flights of stairs.

 

Prince Junmyeon looked up from what looked like a board game. There was not anything off about him. “Yes, I needed a partner to play this game with me. I thought you would make the perfect opponent. Have you heard of this game from the West called ‘chess’?”

 

“I thought you were ill! This,” she said, gesturing to his game. “Is what you urgently called me for?”

 

He blinked innocently. “I want to play chess and I cannot play it alone.”

 

She dropped her medical kit onto the floor. “I thought it was an emergency! I was in the middle of talking to Ch-”

 

“Need I remind you that you are supposed to be on duty here in the Water Kingdom? You are supposed to report to me, and not go frolicking wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter