CHAPTER 1

baby blue

It was just another day in the Red Velvet’s dorm. The alarm on Joohyun’s bedside table started to blare loudly indicating that a new day is here. Joohyun lazily turned off the alarm as she stretched her body. She stood up and make her bed before she went out to wake up the other members. Sooyoung and Yerim was woken up first because Joohyun knows that these two devil children take the longest time to really get out of bed to prepare themselves. She then went to wake the Seulgi bear who is in a deep slumber. Seulgi always slept like she was dead, totally oblivious to her surroundings but she get ready really fast so its fine to wake her up a little later. Finally, Joohyun knocked on Wendy’s door to wake her up. Wendy is always a light sleeper so a slight knock on the door always works. Yet, there was no reaction from the room today. Thinking that yesterday’s late radio schedule had taken a toll on the girl, Joohyun opened the door to wake her up.

However, Joohyun noticed that the bump on the bed was a lot smaller than she expected. That is strange, Joohyun walked closer and gave that little figure a shake. To Joohyun’s surprise, a little child turned over and opened her eyes for a while before proceeding back to slumber. Joohyun looked around the room but Wendy is nowhere to be seen. She looked back at the small figure sleeping. She appeared to be not more than 3 years old and her face is dangerously similar to Wendy’s childhood picture that she shown to them before. No way, this could not happen, Joohyun thought before she cradle the toddler into her arms and went out to the living room to meet her remaining members.

Yerim was the first one to notice Joohyun and she let out a small squeal when she saw the toddler in Joohyun’s arms.

“OMG! Unnie why is there a baby here? She is adorable!!!” Yerim stare lovingly at the toddler sleeping peacefully in Joohyun’s arm.

“Erm, unnie how did you get a child in here?” Sooyoung asked suspiciously as she gave an unapproval look to their leader.

“This child is adorable! Where is Seungwan? I think she would really want to have a look of this child too!” Seulgi exclaimed as she looked around to search for Wendy.

“Well, guys that is the problem. I think that this little child here is Seungwan,” Joohyun said and she was met upon with the members laughing out loud at their leader’s “joke”.

“Unnie, this is not a fun joke at all. I bet Seungwan unnie is just hiding in her room. Seungwan un--- ” Sooyoung asked again as she opened the Wendy’s room door but to her surprise nobody is in there.

By this moment, all the members was too shocked to say anything as they all averted their attention to the little child that began to rouse in Joohyun’s arm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seungwan was happily munching on the slices of apple after changing her giant T-shirt into a child outfit that Yerim got as a gift for her sister. The other members were still trying to process the fact that Seungwan is now a toddler. Just now, they compare the child with Seungwan’s childhood photo and the child looks exactly like little Seungwan in the photo. In fact, the toddler only responds to the name Seungwan and did not even acknowledge the name Wendy. Little Seungwan was now sitting in Joohyun’s lap as she could not reach the dining table. The members are trying their very best to not melt into the toddler’s cuteness as Seungwan ate like a hamster stuffing her cheeks with bread that was cut into small pieces.

“I have to say, Seungwan unnie is super cute right now. Oh wait do I still need to refer as unnie? I mean she is literally a child right now,” Yerim patted Seungwan’s head lovingly as she feeds the child milk.

“That is not what we should be concerned about right now. How in the world are we going to explain to our manager or the public that the main vocal of Red Velvet had turned into a child?” Sooyoung really like the child but she rather to have her original, adult version Wendy unnie back. It does not help that they even have a magazine photoshoot later. How in the world are they going to explain this situation to their manager.

Just as the members were all deep in thought, ruffling of keys can be heard and the door opened as their manager unnie walked into their sight. Joohyun quickly stood up and carried Seungwan into the kitchen while Seulgi literally jumped in front of their manager unnie to block her vision.

“ Seulgi, what are you doing?” The manager was confused at why the members are acting weird.

“Oh, erm its nothing unnie. Why did you come so early? I thought the photo shoot won’t start until late afternoon?” Seulgi said nervously as she tried her best to distract the manager from noticing Joohyun.

“Ya about that, I came to tell you guys that the photo shoot is cancelled today as something wrong came up in the studio. I think the set was damaged for some reason and they need a few more days to set up.” Manager unnie looked around as the three members are really nervous that she will find out what happened. They still did not come up with any ideas to explain the situation to their manager.

“This also means that you guys will have around 5 days break before travelling to Chile for the SMTOWN concert. Well, I am heading off to enjoy my break too. See you guys 5 days later! “ And with that, manager unnie was leaving the dorm. The members were relieved but suddenly a small cry came from the kitchen. Manager unnie heard it and stop where she was going.

“What was that sound?” Manager unnie turned around to the source of the cry.

“AHAHA, it must be the cat from the neighbour, right Sooyoung unnie?” Yerim said nervously as she poked Joy from the side.

“Ah yes, I remembered Aunt Bok Joo mentioned that she recently adopted a kitten. So, yeah it must be that naughty little kitten! Unnie you should leave now before the road is jammed with people rushing to work and school,” Sooyoung added anxiously as she slightly pushed manager unnie toward the door. However, before she managed to get to the door a loud cry was heard clearly form the kitchen. Joohyun with no choice walked out from the kitchen as she tried to calm the crying toddler.

“ She cried because she was stopped from eating her food,” Joohyun shook her head slightly in despair before she faced manager unnie fully. Just as they are all trying their best to come up with a reasonable story, manager unnie clasped her hands together and started to play with Seungwan. The other members stared in shock as Seungwan began to giggle when manager unnie make funny facial expressions.

“Now, this must be little Seungwan! Oh my how much she grown! Joohyun, your niece grew so much, the last time you show me her photo she was just a little baby,”

“My niece?” Joohyun has a huge question mark hanging in her mind. From the looks of the other members, it seems like they have the same question too.

“Ya, your niece. Why are you acting so weird? Seungwan is the child of your cousin right?”

“Oh ya, right, look at me acting all weird,” Joohyun muffled out a laugh as her mind starts thinking what the hell is happening. As far as she know, none of her cousins have children and this child is definitely Seungwan that was in the same group as her.

“Oops, I almost forgot. Here is Seungwan’s passport, you left it in the car yesterday. Since you said that her parents are currently helping out in Africa as volunteer doctors, so you have to take care of her for at least a month right? How could you just simply forget about her passport if she is going to travel with you guys to Chile a few days later,” Manager unnie took out a passport from her pouch and then left the dorm after saying goodbye.

At this point, all the members are in a daze and trying to process all the information in their brain. Seulgi flipped open the passport and there lies all the information of little Seungwan.

“I think this is a great time for me to say WTF?!” Joy exclaimed loudly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Okay, so now Seungwan is your 3 year old niece and will be staying with us at least for a month. Not to mentioned she even have a passport,” Yerim rubbed her head as things are starting to escalate to another level.

They were all sitting in the living room while Seungwan is taking a nap on the sofa. The members were discussing quietly to not wake the child up. Joohyun had a hard time putting her to sleep due to her lack of experience of handling with children. It is lucky that Yerim is familiar with taking care of her younger siblings.

“My mind is a piece of mess right now,” Joohyun scratched her head in confusion as she stared at her phone. There it lies the information of their group, Red Velvet. She searched it online and it shows that they are a group of 4 with no sign of Wendy. Seulgi also searched for their songs and all Wendy’s part is sung by the other members. Their performance video also shows only 4 of them dancing and singing.

“I guess we have to accept the reality because I don’t think Seungwan unnie will turn back anytime soon,” Sooyoung let out a sigh before looking at the clock. It was already 3 in the afternoon, after discussing with the lack of necessities for a child in the house, they all decided to go the nearest shopping centre to get their stuffs. Seulgi got her license just a few months ago so she drove all of them to a shopping mall nearby.

Knowing that if all four of them shows up in the same place and with a child will cause a big ruckus tomorrow, they decided to split up. Joohyun and Yerim will bring along Seungwan to buy clothes while Sooyoung and Seulgi will be buying the other necessities like baby shampoo, milk powder, milk bottle and many more since there are none in their dorm.

They split up and promsie to meet each other after an hour. Seulgi and Sooyoung soon found themselves drowned in the children section. They never realised that a child would need so many things. Not to mentioned, everything is so cute and their eyes is pratically shinning as they walked from this aisle to another aisle. 

‘Sooyoung ah!!!! This is so cute!!! See! It’s a milk bottle with hamsters on top! And Wannie looks just like them!!” Seulgi practically shoved the bottle into Sooyoung’s eyes and she pulls her to another area.

“Unnie you look at this! This pram IS blue and it also have hamsters on top! OMG I am definitely getting this for Wannie unnie,” She exclaimed and Seulgi nodded frantically. Both of them continue to pick out stuff in high spirits and let’s say they might have bought more than a child would need.

Meanwhile, in the children clothing section, Joohyun and Yerim were also trying hard to not buy every outfit in the shop. All of the clothes are adorable and they have fun picking the cutest outfit for Seungwan. Speaking of Seungwan, despite being a toddler, she also has opinions on the outfits they chosen. She pouted when Yerim chose a pink T-shirt for her. She tugged Yerim’s shirt and pointed on the light blue T-shirt instead.

“Oh my, unnie! Seungwannie still likes blue,” Yerim walked toward Joohyun with Seungwan in one of her arm and another filled with children’s clothing. She showed Joohyun the blue T-shirt that Seungwan picked and they both pinch Seungwan’s chubby cheek lightly. Seungwan giggled again and this does not fail to put a big smile on both of their faces.

“Wait a sec, did you just call Seungwan without the unnie?” Joohyun raises her eyebrows. “Well, I definitely can’t call a child unnie right? People will be suspicious about it, right Seungwannie?” Yerim winked as she gives Seungwan a little kiss on her cheeks. Seungwan babbled happily as she tried to avoid Yerim’s smooches. They continued to shop for about 1 hour before leaving with their hands full to meet Seulgi and Sooyoung which is pushing two trolleys filled with all the things they bought like the baby pram, milk bottles, a hamster plushie ( this is a mini version of Manen and Wannie will love it, Seulgi explained) and many more.

As a child, Seungwan gets tired easily so she fell asleep in Joohyun’s arm as they all went back home with bags and bags of goods. Soon, it was dinner time. As they were all rather tired from the whole day of shopping, they stick to call delivery tteokbukki (upon Joohyun’s request of course) and fried chicken. But, due to the fact that they have a baby at home now, veggie porridge was also cooked for little Seungwan. Even as a baby, Seungwan is still the caring little angel they knew. She did not cry or threw a wit. She sat obediently on the baby chair (that they just bought) and eat happily when Yerim feeds her.

“Well, I think that we have to accept the reality now. Seungwan is really a baby and we have no idea on how to turn her back.” Joohyun sighed and the rest of them remain silent. They have a lot of thoughts on their mind. The fact that Seungwan is a toddler now finally dawned on them.