Snapshot

Wrecking Ball
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m sorry if this bores you, I didn’t know Gran would turn her birthday celebration like this.”

 

 

“This is actually fun! Your Gran is a genius. I can’t believe she made the guests participate in the games!”

 

 

“Well, that’s Gran. She can make anyone agree to her. She possesses this undeniable charm that can convince even the most difficult people to talk to. She has a lot of tricks under her sleeves, you will be surprised.”

 

 

I witnessed how warmth spread over Dahyun’s face while she talks more about her grandmother. It led me to thinking she is closer to the old lady than her own parents and prompt me to sneak a glance at the seated couple who is happily watching the games. Their behavior earlier still puzzles me, Mrs Kim who cried instantly when she saw us entering the house and Mr Kim who gave Dahyun an awkward hug after greeting us a polite hello and an outstretched arm for a handshake.

 

My train of thoughts was cut-off by Dahyun’s booming voice beside me and found her laughing at Jeongyeon who fell off a chair when she was pushed aside by someone smaller than her – Nayeon I think is her name. The guests are playing ‘Musical Chairs’ and her tall friend is now out of the game.

 

 

“You shoved me. That’s foul, Nayeon!” says Jeongyeon rubbing her backside with one hand, the other pointing an accusatory finger towards Nayeon.

 

 

“Says who? The rules of the game states the one left standing without a seat, or in your case left on the ground, is out. So, you’re out.” Nayeon fires back waving her hand off in front of Jeongyeon’s face.

 

 

“Thanks for playing. Better luck next time, Jeongyeon.”

 

 

“Cheater.”

 

 

“Don’t feel bad, I will give you kisses later,” Nayeon said over the microphone she took from the MC, puckering her lips in exaggeration causing everyone to burst into laughter.

 

 

Gran walked towards Jeongyeon and patted her head, as if consoling a five-year old kid. Said tall kid hugs the old lady in return but not before sticking her tongue out for only Nayeon to see.

 

 

“You have a perfect family, Dahyun.” I said while admiring the scene in front of me. I turn and saw Dahyun’s face become sour. But it was so fast the moment I blink her face is blank. She quietly sips her wine.

 

 

The game ended and they are clearing out the chairs. Nayeon squeals in victory with two hands up in the air, bumping her hips on a sulking Jeongyeon. Then she went on bragging about the expensive bottle of wine Gran gave her as a prize.

 

 

Gran moves to the center of the room holding a microphone.

 

 

“I would like to thank everyone for coming to my birthday. I hope you are all enjoying your time. I know you are all surprised with the way I’m celebrating, we are at this beautiful villa, glamorously dressed but we are playing games like children.”

 

 

Gran walk over to where Nayeon and Jeongyeon are standing and gave both a squeeze on their shoulders. The two stop their bickering and Jeongyeon side hugs the old lady, Nayeon plants a chaste kiss to her cheek.

 

 

“Well, I turn 70 today but I’m a young at heart and I want to keep that feeling with me every day. As for my wish, it won’t be for myself as I am already grateful to our Lord for keeping me alive and healthy for this long.”

 

 

Gran look over the crowd surrounding her and when her loving gaze landed on a particular figure she continues, “I wish for everyone to find it within themselves how to forgive – no matter how hurt we were and how deep the wound was – because I learned in this life that keeping that hatred is just hurting yourself more. We can’t change the past but we have the choice to let go of the baggage that weighs us down. And trust me when I say hate is one of them. There can’t be room for happiness if hate is living in your heart. So, go ahead and take that important step to free up that space. Forgive.”

 

 

Gran raised her glass and sounds of applause came after. Everyone appreciated her candid yet sensible short speech.

 

 

“And oh, I have one last game for you to play people. This is for couples so go grab a partner. This will be fun!”

 

 

Guests started going around the room once more, pulling their respective partners towards the center. Nayeon was seen tugging Jeongyeon by her wrist, the latter making it an impossible task by digging her heels on the carpeted floor.

 

 

Nayeon huffs and Jeongyeon crosses her arms over her chest. The two started a staring contest and Nayeon the ever competitive one decides to pull her secret weapon – shows her bunny teeth through a eating grin. Jeongyeon lowers her head to hid a blush and her growing smile. She clicks her tongue.

 

 

“Alright, you win.”

 

 

“Ha! I know you can’t resist that.”

 

 

“Tch, it’s disturbing to see so I back down. It’s for the greater good.”

 

 

“Keep telling yourself that, Jeongyeon.”

 

 

“Are we playing or what?”

 

 

“I’m moving. Jeez, so impatient.” A total of four couples is now standing in front, including Nayeon and Jeongyeon.

 

 

A female guest approached our table.

 

 

“Hi. Can I borrow her? I want to join and I think she is the best to be my partner for this game.” She says to me but her eyes are on Dahyun the whole time. She even glided her hand over the entire length of Dahyun’s forearm, squeezing it subtly, but I can see.

 

 

I stood up and brush off the woman’s hand by pulling Dahyun close to me. I put my forefinger under her chin encouraging her to look up. Dahyun has a confu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter