Chapter 1

A Superhero Story

 

Baekhyun was skipping down steps, making his way through the morning crowd that filled the subway. He couldn't believe that he's about to be late to his first day at work. 


A new job that he worked so damn hard for and no he was about to lose it because he was unable to correctly set his alarm clock.

 

He continued his parade of excuse me's and get out of the way's as he slalomed through the groups of chattering students and businessmen that were swarming the platform, using his brand new leather briefcase as a shield and weapon at the same time.  

 

Managing to throw himself inside the train just before the doors closed and a female voice loudly announced the next station. 

 

He sighed in relief and squeezed himself in between an elderly couple with a sheepish smile and quiet apology.


Clutching the briefcase to his chest, he checked if it was still intact. Kyungsoo would have killed him if he managed to destroy his gift on his first day. He had given him a strict guide on how he should take care of it and Baekhyun was hell-bent on proving his best friend that he actually can go a day without ruing one of his belongings.  

 

As Kyungsoo used to say, Baekhyun was the worst combination of extremely clumsy and overly active person which often resulted in a lot of comic and embarrassing situations.

 

The train came to a halt with a screech and Baekhyun leaned against the door for support and almost fell out once the door opened with a loud announcement of Yeoksam Station.

 

He backed away as much as he could to get out of the way of the swarm of students that were heading to Seoul's National University of Education. He was surrounded by a group of giggling girls, each of them holding today's release of the Daily Eagle that had a picture of 'Beast' all over the front page. 


The girls instantly broke into a loud chatter as they skimmed through the newspaper excitedly, pointing at each picture and discussing everything in great detail 


Baekhyun released a low grunt and rolled his eyes. 


It was exactly seventeen years since all around the world -Baekhyun was seven years old at that time - these strange people started popping out. Superheros, people called them - although Baekhyun secretly branded them as the I.I.S - Idiots in Spandex. 


Every country had a fair share of them. For the USA, it was the Rainman. An elderly man with latex cape that could summon the rain... Yes, it was as terrible as it sounded and even the President alone had refused to acknowledge his existence until the man had threatened to flood the State of New York. 

 

Then there was Fuego from Spain. An enthusiastic teenager that could spit fire. Eight months ago he had accidentally set on fire the Almudena Cathedral in Madrid and he was serving jail time since then.   


Stín from the Czech Republic was a cool one. A woman who could sort of shapeshift into a swirling black smoke which allowed her to infiltrate even the most guarded places on this planet. She was also the first one to come out and publicly reveal her identity - as a majority of these people preferred not to - and was a well-known advocate for superheroes' rights. 


The first-ever superhero that had appeared in Seoul was Silver Frost. A tall dude with cryokinetic power; an outstanding ability to manipulate ice.


It needs to be said that this dude was Baekhyun's idol throughout his whole childhood. He had used to run around his room and pretending he could freeze everything and everyone in ten-meter radius, using ice cubes from the fridge and leaving them randomly scattered around the house as evidence of his incredible power- to his mother's great dismay. 


Baekhyun used to be obsessed. Since the day Baekhyun had celebrated his fifteen birthday to the summer of 2018 - to be specific, on the day when he had almost lost his ity to his high school sweetheart and the quarterback of Wild Jersey's - when Silver Frost had disappeared without a trace after an explosion in a local café.
 

Thankfully, no one had been harmed that day and the café was rebuilt but Silver Frost has never returned. Baekhyun still vividly remembers how he had torn apart the colorful posters that had littered his room, a few months after his young heart realized that the hero of his childhood was never coming back. 


Hindsight, that might be the day he's started to resent everything hero-related. It also might be the reason why he had decided to apply for the position of the assistant of Kim Jongin. A billionaire, most sought after bachelor in the country and most importantly, an editor-in-chief of Daily Eagle. That man was the number one anti-fan of Beast and spent his time by printing every made-up rumor that would be at least slightly believable to taint his image. 


Though, unsuccessfully. 


Beast was a resident heartthrob of teenage girls and boys, a national superstar, the untouchable hero that managed to decrease criminality rate in the capital over forty percent, a proud owner of an Instagram account with over 21.3 million followers (beating the singer and a winner of the newest season of Pick Your I-DOLL). A man that boasted with incredible speed, strength, and agility that would leave any man in their twenties green with envy. 


To Beakhyun, an idiot in an all-black costume, jumping from the rooftops and selling his merch in Myeongdong's underground market. Baekhyun swore that one day his ego is going to burst and he's going to bleed out to death.


To be fair, his dislike towards Beast was partially fueled by the fact that Beast basically replaced Silver Frost and the later was forgotten too early to Baekhyun's liking. That guy was still his childhood hero after all and he still might or might have not harbored a tiny little crush on him. 


His flow of thoughts was interrupted by the familiar announcement of Gangnam station and Baekhyun hurriedly exited the train, pushing himself through the crowd of students that continued to Seoul's University and then half-running towards the escalators. 


He already had had his interview for the job last week so he still faintly remembered which exit to take. Taking the steps by two, he finally reached the busy streets, the morning sun temporarily blinding him and he only turned around to locate the Coex Artium across the street to confirm that he indeed took the right exit and muttered and exited yes before he continued down the street.


His watch showed that he still had five more minutes to go before he potentially lost his job and regretfully rushed past the french bakery, sacrificing his morning coffee for a paycheck.


It was exactly seven forty-five when he pushed the glass door open and entered the lobby, once again completely starstruck by the luxurious marble walls and giant columns, enhanced by the pristine white tiles. The echoes of high-heels clacking against the flooring was filling the hall as everybody rushed towards the rows of elevators. 


He took a deep breath before walking towards the counter where a woman with sharp eyes and rectangle glasses perched on her nose sat. 

 

However, he could only get as far as to Good Morning before someone behind him cleared his throat and Baekhyun spun on his heels. 


"Byun Baekhyun?"


He was momentarily confused because all he could see was a navy blue tie. Looking up, he finally located the very tall owner of the voice and he nodded energetically.


"Oh Sehun." The man informed him curtly and extended his hand.


Baekhyun had a small breakdown because was he working for newspapers or a modeling agency? Not only this man was incredibly tall, but he also possessed the sharpest brows he's ever seen, pair of dark eyes, and a jaw cut probably by the god himself.


"I am your supervisor. I apologize I couldn't be present for your interview but I have more important things to do than being concerned with such mundane procedures." 


Ouch


"I understand, Mr. Oh... I-"


"Call me Sehun." The man finally smiled and Baekhyun breathed a sigh of relief. "Please, come this way." He motioned for Baekhyun to follow him and he shyly trailed after him, trying to keep up with his steps.


"So you'll be working as Jongin's assistant. I read your resume and you graduated from Seoul's University, majoring in journalism. Am I correct?"


"Yes," Baekhyun nodded excitedly, not sure if he should add something. He didn't want to be perceived as a show-off, but truth to be told. He used to be the head of his high school newspapers as well as at the university, along with having a couple of his articles published in local magazines and online sites. 


"You were probably the best at your school but so did everybody who works here. This is a place for ambition, we have the best of the best and everyone tries to climb the ladder to get to a better position." 


He stopped in front of one of the elevators and pushed one of the buttons. "I used to work as Jongin's assistant for two years before I got promoted, and now I work on the correction of articles before they're published."


The shiny metal doors slid open with a ding and they walked in. The walls were so clean that Baekhyun could clearly see his reflection. "I assume that you are hoping for an eventual promotion as well but let me warn you, it's not easy and you're gonna have a hard time."


"But it's worth it, is it?" Baekhyun asked shyly and Sehun lips spread into a knowing smile.


"Yes, it is."


"How is Mister Kim as a boss?" Baekhyun asked after a moment of contemplation.


"He's a wonderful boss, you couldn't have found anyone better than him."


"Ah..." Baekhyun trailed off, not expecting this kind of answer. Kim Jongin was well known for being... well.. an overconfident .
 


"I'm joking. He's a peacock, arrogant, rude, obnoxious. He thinks the world revolves around him... and it kind of does to be fair. He's like Anna Wintour of newspapers." 


Baekhyun giggled, liking Sehun's refreshing approach. There weren't many people that would shade their boss in front of a newbie on the first day.


"You'll be working with Park Chanyeol, both of you will be Jongin's right hand, catering to his every whim... and trust me... there will be a lot of those. Whatever he wants he gets, understand?"


"Of course."


Sehun eyes him up and down, his lips pulling into a smirk. "You're going to get along well with Chanyeol. He has an extraordinary talent for running into glass doors and dropping things on important documents.... like matcha latté on Jongin's finished articles."


"He sounds fun," Baekhyun noted. 


"Cool guy... too tall for his good and a little bit over the place, head in the clouds, but he has survived three months in here already. Excluding me, it's the highest record."


"Everyone else quit?" 


"Quit or Jongin threatened to throw them out of the window." Sehun shrugged and Baekhyun shivered involuntarily.


"He sounds terrible." 


"He's not that bad. Once you learn how to get out of his way, you'll be fine. As long as you-"


Suddenly, the elevator came to a halt and Baekhyun waited for the doors to open but nothing happened.


"Dammit!" Sehun cursed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I told Chanyeol to call the repairman three times this week and he still hasn't bothered to fix this damn thing. If Jongin gets stuck in here- Hey?! You alright?" 


Baekhyun had pressed himself in the corner of the elevator, his eyes tightly shut. "I'm just not the biggest fan of elevators.  Cramped space, little to no oxygen, and my hobby of watching horror movies do very little to help." 

 

"Horror movies?" Sehun chuckled. "Are there even any horror movies involving elevators?" 


"Haven't you seen the Devil? It's about a group of people getting stuck in an elevator for several hours and they start dying one after another and in the end, they find out it was the harmless-looking grandmother that was the devil in disguise and they-"


"We're here," Sehun announced with a smug smile, and Baekhyun's mouth dropped open when the door opened with a ding. He hadn't even realized the elevator started moving again. 


"That was smooth." He commented, smiling appreciatively at his new co-worker. "You tricked me into talking my way out of it." 


Sehun laughed loudly and beckoned Baekhyun to follow him. He led him through a row of cubicles and Baekhyun tried to look confident as everyone peered at him over their desks, some of his coworkers even stopping abruptly to stare at him and then running off to gossip with their colleagues and he swore he could see money being exchanged between some of them.


"Don't mind them. They're betting on how long you will last." Sehun shook his head, clearly condemning their childish actions. 


"You don't bet?"


"What did I say about mundane things?" Sehun raised one of his perfectly shaped brows and held the door open for him.


Baekhyun gave him a grateful smile and walked in, only to choke on air for the second time that morning.


He was standing in a small office, a table at each side of the wall, and mahogany double door in the middle that held a shiny golden plate that had Mr. Kim Jongin written on in cursive. 


However, what had rendered him speechless wasn't the spotless office with floor-length windows and a slightly acrophobic view on streets below them.


It was the tall man, with light brown hair and the most blinding smile that Baekhyun has ever seen that left him gaping. He watched as he hurriedly stood up from his desk, knocking a glass of water over in the process. There was a loud whine that was so adorably unfitting for a man of his size and Baekhyun's insides melted. 


"As you see, this Park Chanyeol. He holds the title of the most uncoordinated person in the company. Apart from being Jongin's right hand, you'll be unofficially tasked with making sure he doesn't kill himself. He almost electrocuted himself last week when Jongin asked him to copy some documents and now I have a wall to repaint and new copy machine to buy." Sehun deadpanned but truth to be told, Baekhyun was only half-listening, because the giant - now done with taping his table dry with an unnecessary amount of tissues - was walking towards him, his hand already extended for a friendly handshake and was it a blush that was creeping up his cheeks?


"Nice to meet you." He spoke in a surprisingly deep voice and Baekhyun was about to drop dead to the floor at how unreal this man was.  From his big brown eyes to his toothy smile, he was a walking perfection. 


"Nice to meet you too. I'm Byun Baekhyun." He said in a slightly shaky voice and resisted the urge to slap himself. 


"Alright, you two. Chanyeol will explain to you everything and if you have any sense, assume that half of what he tells you is wrong and then pray for your life." Sehun said disinterestedly and looked at his watch. "Jongin should be here around nine, but what do I know? This man comes to work as he pleases."


He his heels and he was almost out before he peeked in one last time. "My last advice is to never bother Jongin with anything... NEVER." 


---


Sehun was right. Chanyeol was a very uncoordinated mess that somehow worked, a cute mess. He tried his best to explain Baekhyun how to fulfill his duties to the best but he seemed lost most of the time and Baekhyun soon realized that he will have to figure everything out by himself. 


God help him. 


Thankfully, his new boss didn't come yet and Baekhyun was glad for that, he had enough on his plate already. He had observed Chanyeol throughout the whole morning, the way he picked up the phone, how he introduced himself - then gaped at him as he secretly ate a snack under his table - and asked questions about everything that came to his mind. When he had left for lunch Baekhyun suggested he stays in the office and lent his diary to mark all the important contacts and meetings in his own, organizing every little detail. He wanted to be prepared as much as possible and eliminate any possible embarrassments on his side to an absolute minimum.


He ignored his constantly beeping phone, assuming Kyungsoo was bombarding him with text messages since he probably had a free period. His best friend will have to wait until the evening though. 


It was ten minutes to the end of the lunch break when the doors swung open and in walked a tall man - was this a fashion magazine or what? - with a perfectly fitting navy blue suit and one of the coldest expressions, Baekhyun had ever the misfortune to see. 


He had dark brown hair combed up, pair of deep almond eyes and plump lips that pulled into a frown the moment his gaze rested on him. "Who are you?" 


Baekhyun sprang to his feet, bowing deeply before attempting to introduce himself. "My name is Byun Baekhyun. I am your new assistant and-"


"I have yet to receive an overview of the morning news. Did the world stop or are all of our journalists dead? Also, call Seulgi and schedule a meeting in roughly forty minutes, I wasn't impressed by the report from this morning's budget meeting and inform Kim Donghyuk that if he doesn't redo those photographs he'll be fired before the deadline. Any news of Beast?" The man sharply turned towards him, eyebrows raised and foot tapping against the tiles in a slightly neurotic manner. 


"Uh-uhm..." Beakhyun stammered, his brain was still processing the load of information he just received. 

"Excellent. I can already see the tittle Uh-uhm Beast... we'll sell out." He replied snarkily and with one final bang he disappeared behind the doors of his office, leaving a shaking Baekhyun standing in the middle of the office in shock. 


He didn't know for how long he contemplated whether he should just hand in his resignation letter on his first day but it was long enough for his new colleague to return from his lunch break. 


Chanyeol walked in with a very enthusiastic smile that swiftly changed into a mask of confusion when he noticed Baekhyun standing idly in the middle of the office.


"Did something happen?" He asked innocently, his big eyes growing even bigger. 


"Uhm... I just met our boss for the first time." Baekhyun breathed out and to his surprise, Chanyeol grimaced and patted his back with a little bit more force than Baekhyun could take and he stumbled forward. 


"That's okay, I actually cried in the restrooms on my first day so I guess you're doing pretty well." He smiled at him sheepishly. "Did he say something?" 


Baekhyun nodded and dutifully recited everything he could remember and watched as Chanyeol wrote it down and then proceeded to make a few calls. 


"You should go get your lunch." His co-worker piped from behind his table, cheeks rising as he rewarded Baekhyun with another one of his blinding smiles, and Baekhyun once again contemplated how someone of his size could be so damn adorable.


"I do not feel hungry," Baekhyun said truthfully and Chanyeol looked at him sympathetically. 


"Hey, it will get better, it's your first day after all and you didn't screw up anything," Chanyeol said reassuringly. "I... I was thinking that maybe you could just stand by and watch this week, so you know, you get the hang of how things work here." 


"Yeah, that... that would help a lot, I think." Baekhyun straightened up, a wave of relief washing over his body. 


"I could take you on a tour around the building, to show you everything and introduce you to everyone." Chanyeol's smile grew bigger, his eyes alight with excitement." 


"I, yes... thank you. That would be amazing." 


"WHERE IS MY COFFEE?" A shrill voice interrupted them and Chanyeol sighed, dropping his pen and standing up but Baekhyun beat him to it. If he was so lucky to get an awesome colleague that he as well might try to pay him back.


Chanyeol gave him a thumbs up and Baekhyun's heart skipped a beat. 


"No milk and two sugars. The kitchenette is right behind the corner." He showed him the direction and Baekhyun walked out of the office.


Now, a crazy, neurotic boss might be a force to reckon with... but a kind and handsome co-worker might be just the best thing that could happen to him.


He will have so much to tell to Kyungsoo this evening.


First chapter!!!! What do you think? ^^ 

 

As you probably guessed already... the identity of beast is unknown and will remain unknown for a  long time XD and as always ...I am excited about your guesses...

 

I'm glad I could put my experience from Korea to use xD The part where Baekhyun ran past the french bakery is actually from my own experience... during my stay in Korea I always craved a bread with a pinch of salt (for those who don't know... every Korean food is either so sweet that your teeth are about to fall out or hella spicy.... and I am not joking when I say that Korean hot dog tastes like a chocolate donut with a sausage xD ..it's not necessarily bad... but it's the kind of taste that makes you question your life xD) so during my whole stay we always passed by these french bakeries but we never went in because we were always in a hurry XDDD

 

Jongin's character was inspired by the boss from spiderman movies. His characters are usually the sweet type "boy next door" and I really wanted him to be a ...well.. a for once xDDD

 

Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter, this was more like a introduction to the story and I hope it was not boring ^_^