this is the beat of my heart

of the many things i love, you matter the most | yulyen one-shot collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yena opens her eyes.

She hasn't done that in a long time.

The feeling of being awake and conscious. 

She doesn't get up at first. She just lays there. In her view, is the white, tiled ceiling. The only sound is the fan creaking and the soft beep of the heart rate monitor.

Yena's in the hospital. She doesn't know why. 

She doesn't where she is, or who she is. She just knows that she's Yena. 

She lays on the hospital bed. The world seemed empty, lonely. There were no footsteps or voices to be heard. There was nobody entering or exiting Yena's room. The heart rate montior beeps normally, not slowing down by any means. 

There are many strings attached onto Yena. Yena doesn't feel any pain. 

Was she dead?

She lays on the bed for a few minutes. 

She examines the world. Her body feels small, and her arms were skinnier than she remembered. Perhaps she was a child? 14 years old is her best guess. The sky outside was white, covered with clouds. There were no voices, cars, or anything of the sort to be heard.

Yena was tired, but she wanted to explore.

And so Yena rips off the strings on her. The heart rate monitor slows down, and Yena's heart nearly stops. She thought she was gonna die, but it was simply because the strings were no longer attached to her. 

Yena exits her room. The hospital hallway was lit up and bright, yet nobody was to be seen.

Yena's footsteps echo through the hallway as she walks towards the exit.

The front desk was empty, and as Yena exited the hospital and into the outdoors, there were no cars visible.

There were tall buildings and many bright lights, yet there was nobody. 

Despite the overwhelming space and desire to explore, Yena's feet had led her to a lonely and small park in the middle of it all. 

In the park, was a small girl. The first person that Yena had seen ever since she had woken up. 

The girl was small, with long, bright red hair and big, brown eyes. She looked younger than Yena, and seemed to be crying in the small tube connected to the bigger playground.

Yena's voice was soft, yet rusty, as if she hadn't spoken in a long time. "Are you okay?"

The girl's head was buried in her knees, with her arms wrapped around her knees. 

The small, vulnerable girl lifts her head up, revealing her face to Yena. Her eyes were red and swollen, and her nose was runny. 

She had cute, small bangs and long, brown hair. 

Yena felt a sense of familiarity. This was the first time that she's felt that, after being exposed to a completely new world. Perhaps this girl held some answers to where the two of them were.

"What's wrong?" Yena asks the girl, more concerned on why she's crying than answers at the moment.

The girl doesn't answer. Instead, she stares at Yena with blank eyes, which are ironically full of emotions. 

Yena sits by the girl. She stares out through the holes in the tube, and into the endless, white sky. 

The two girls sit there silently, not saying a word. Yena is eventually tired of the silence. Young people are hard to deal with, especially when they refused to speak.

"What's your name, then?" Yena asks the girl, turning to her and staring at the girl's attractive features.

The girl smiles, perhaps warming up to Yena's presence. "My name is Jo Yuri!"

And though Yena didn't ask, she gives Yena a long introduction. "I'm 13 years old! I'm from Busan and I really, really love singing!"

Yena chuckles. She's cute, like a child. She was already 13 years old though, so maybe this was just her nature.

"I love singing too..." Yena trails off. She was about to say something, however, she wasn't quite sure what it was. 

Yuri smiles. Her smile was really precious. Yena just wanted to hug the girl and tell her that everything's okay.

"Um.... is it okay to ask you why you were crying earlier?" Yena asks, cautiously. She was afraid that she would offend the younger girl, however Yuri only smiled and shook her head.

"Of course not...." Yuri's smile becomes sadder, as if remniscent. "I just... I really miss somebody."

Yena nods understandingly. She knows that feeling, though she can't exactly pinpoint who she misses. 

The two girls sit there in silence again. "I just hope she knows that I'm still here.." Yena could hear Yuri mutter. 

And Yena wonders who Yuri is waiting for.

Yena travels to the playground, wondering if she would meet Yuri again.

The sky was blue and cloudless, revealing the sun and its beams.

Yena arrives at the playground and does meets Yuri at the playground again. But instead of being stuffed up in that tube, Yuri is on the playground. 

She's smiling, happy. Her eyebrows raising up every time she laughs. 

And when she spots Yena, she waves excitedly, as if she had been waiting for her.

Yuri runs to Yena, and greets her. "Hey! You're here again!" she exclaims. 

Yena chuckles. Yuri doesn't even know her name. 

"Come on, let's go on the swings!" she exclaims. Yuri takes Yena by the wrist and drags Yena with her. Yena yelps as she's lured in and taken by Yuri to the swings. Yena laughs though. She loves the friendly and childish nature of Yuri, who seemed so innocent and oblivious.

The two girls hop on the swings, and together, they start swinging their legs furiously. The two girls compete to see who swings higher, and Yena has never felt s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter