PREPARATIONS

wings

The senior class was frantic. This whole festival competition thing was difficult, especially since the sophomores came up with the brilliant Just Dance Tournament. Tzuyu had nothing to do with the decision and Nayeon was starting to think that the poor girl didn’t want to be an Officer. However, Tzuyu was just so popular; they wouldn’t stop nominating and electing her.

 

Back to the topic at hand, Joohyun’s idea was their best bet. Rebranding the talent show as a ‘find the donkey and get a prize’ type-of-thing was brilliant (as much as Nayeon would love to deny it). Joohyun had gathered four of her friends and their performances were coming along great. The problem, however, was with Jihyo and Nayeon’s team. Jihyo had convinced Nayeon to perform with her (much to Nayeon’s regret) and they had struggled to find more people. They obviously couldn’t be a duo, neither of them would have fun with that. 

 

Nayeon’s first pick was Minatozaki Sana, the bubbly senior who Jihyo had a crush on. Nayeon had slipped up a couple times, considering that Jihyo wasn’t aware that she knew in this timeline. Jihyo had a hard time saying no. Unfortunately, Sana had a hard time saying yes.

 

“Please, Sana? We need you!” Jihyo practically begged, clasping onto Sana’s knee as she spilled her heart out, “You’re talented and I know you can sing. Please, please, please!”

 

“Jihyo, you know that I’m not as good as you’re insisting. And my workload this year is insane...”

 

“Sana, I am on my knees. I am begging you! I would really...” Jihyo trailed off, mustering enough courage to continue her statement... “I would really enjoy doing this with you.”

 

Sana melted at the words, leaning into Jihyo’s touch. Nayeon almost cooed at it. Jihyo worked too hard at times and doing this with the girl she had an undeniable crush on would soften the work.

 

“Ok, Park Jihyo, you’ve won me over. I have one condition though!” Jihyo perked up as her big eyes shone at the words.

 

“Anything.”

 

“My friend Momo was gonna do the Just Dance Competition, but another friend—well I guess ex-friend—got jealous and threw her out. Could she maybe... perform with us? She works really hard.”

 

“Hirai Momo? She’s really really nice and sweet, of course she can, Sana.”

 

“Okay then, I’m yours, Park Jihyo.” 

 

Almost immediately after Sana said that, Jihyo shot up and stumbled, quickly recovering. Nayeon couldn’t see much of Jihyo’s face except from the red hue crawling up her ears.

 

“T-Thank you, Minatozaki Sana, we won’t let you two down.” With a pivot, Jihyo dragged Nayeon away as quickly as humanly possible.

 

Nayeon hummed in amusement at Jihyo’s bewildered expression, “You are a failure.”

 

“Don’t speak a word, Nayeon.”

 

After they pulled Sana and Momo, they were somewhat satisfied. However, something was missing from their little group.

 

“I wanna perform,” Mina said as they sat down for lunch, with Momo and Sana joining them, “But I just don’t feel like doing this alone.”

 

“Mina-chan, couldn’t you find someone? It doesn’t have to be a senior, does it?” Sana spoke as she ate.

 

“Hey,” Tzuyu simply said as she sat down next to Nayeon, subtly stealing a french fry off her plate.

 

“Yeah, I guess you’re right, Sana.” Mina said as her eyes bore into Tzuyu’s. 

 

The younger girl froze, her eyes searching around the table for an answer. She shyly pointed to herself, asking if Mina was looking at her. Then, she started cleaning her teeth.

 

“What, do I have something on my face?” The end of the table burst into stifled laughter. Mina, however, had a soft, blooming smile on her face as she looked at the younger girl with endearment.

 

“Do you wanna sing with me, Tzuyu?” 

 

The comment caught the Taiwanese girl off guard. The girls at the table looked at Tzuyu in anticipation. No one—absolutely no one—would let Myoui Mina down. Chou Tzuyu, however, was a different story.

 

Tzuyu gave Mina a soft smile, “It would be an honor, Mina unnie.”

 

Mina’s group developed steadily, but every development was a powerful one. Tzuyu’s best friend, a small sophomore named Chaeyoung, joined her. Nayeon didn’t know much about the girl, but if Tzuyu trusted her then Nayeon trusted her. Tzuyu was wise beyond her years and she saw things that no one else did. After Chaeyoung joined, Kim Dahyun felt the very strong urge to join them. At first, Mina was extremely cautious. The junior class was known for being callous and ruthless. The year before, when they were sophomores, that class had willingly spread the flu to the class below them. The numbers for the tug-of-war fight weren’t nearly enough for the (then) freshmen to win. However, Dahyun proved herself and impressed Mina. Dahyun worked hard and the team got stronger every day.

 

The four seniors, Jihyo, Nayeon, Sana, and Momo, were a little out of sync with each other. Momo was really shy and didn’t like talking to Nayeon for some reason. Ok, so it’s not for ‘some reason. Nayeon may have said something rude to her the year before—it was really a blur. Sana and Jihyo got along well though, even if Jihyo messed up the dance moves when she was too close to Sana.

 

There was still something missing. Nayeon couldn’t put her finger on it.

 

“Hey, Nayeon?” Jihyo asked as the four of them stopped practicing, taking a water break. 

 

Nayeon hummed before Jihyo spoke again, “Can you go to the library and ask the person at the desk if they have copies of 1984? Just a personal favor?”

 

“Sure,” Nayeon wiped her forehead before opening the hall door and leaving.

 

The walk to the library was quick; it was only a few doors down. Nayeon walked through the open archway and made her way to the desk, only to be surprised by who she saw. Since when is Yoo Jeongyeon a ing librarian?

 

Maybe this was Nayeon’s opportunity to get to know her better. 

 

“Hey Jeongyeon!” 

 

The blonde looked up, searching for who called her. When she made eye contact with Nayeon, her head shot down, avoiding her eyes. Nayeon froze with a frown on her face. This was just ridiculous—what did Nayeon do this time?

 

“What, can't you make eye contact with me? How were your tires by the way?” Jeongyeon frowned and sighed, speaking softly.

 

“How can I help you, today?”

 

Nayeon figured this was very weird, but whatever. If something goes wrong then she can just rewind it.

 

“Ignoring me?”

 

“N-No, I just—” Jeongyeon took a deep breath and sighed— “The librarian I’m helping is strict.”

 

“Enough small talk, Yoo! Help the student and get back to organizing!”

 

“Sorry, Ma’am!”

 

Nayeon felt her expression soften at the meek look on Jeongyeon’s face. She felt her hand lift up to rewind before she could even think about it.

 

“!ma’aM ,yrroS”

 

“Do you wanna get out of here, Jeong?” Nayeon hushed out, leaning in so the old woman in the back couldn’t hear.

 

Jeongyeon’s face turned bright red as she looked around in shock, “Huh? Wh-What do you mean by that?”

 

Nayeon realized one second after she spoke that the way she said that came off very inappropriately. Nayeon growled as she rewound again.

 

Rewind.

 

Nayeon looked at the girl thoughtfully, tracing the slight furrow in her brow with her eyes. Jeongyeon likes confident people, right? Well, she wouldn't actually know; Nayeon didn't talk to the other girl. Oh well, here goes nothing.

 

“Sup, ."

 

"What did you call me?" Nayeon flinched, that wasn't the reaction she expected.

 

Rewind. "?em llac uoy did tahW"

 

Nayeon walked up with a bubbly smile, "Hey Jeongyeon, whatcha doing?" 

 

The other girl looked at Nayeon with tight knit brows. Nayeon sighed. ed it up again. She was about to rewind when Jeongyeon spoke up.

 

"So-Sorry, I just didn't expect you to speak to me like that. I mean—you're kinda popular." Nayeon's mouth shot open. 

 

Jeongyeon was right; Nayeon was a very social person. Nayeon, however, didn’t peg Jeongyeon as the type to be turned away by that. Based on the day Nayeon saved her, the girl seemed pretty cheerful and goofy. However, Jeongyeon was in her element that day. She was with her sister and her friend, and the only person she didn’t know was fading in-and-out of consciousness. Nayeon would be in her element too.

 

Nayeon sighed as she stared Jeongyeon down with soft eyes. This wasn’t the conversation that she wanted. Nayeon should just play it cool.

 

Rewind.

 

“Hey, Jeongyeon? Remember me? Kooky tire girl?” Jeongyeon gave her a small smile before speaking.

 

“How can I help you, Im Nayeon?” 

 

At that moment, it felt like Nayeon’s heart stopped. She had never really heard Jeongyeon say her name before, but it felt nice. Nayeon cleared , trying to stop the weird feeling in the pit of her stomach.

 

“U-Uh—” .

 

Rewind. “—hU-U”

 

“How are you doing today?” Nayeon asked as she leaned on the desk, “Did you ever end up getting your tires checked?”

 

“Well, I—” 

 

An older lady popped out of the back room, hissing at Jeongyeon, “You aren’t here to make friends, Jeongyeon. Get her whatever she needs and get back to work!”

 

Why does everyone have to be so mean to her? Seriously, why does Nayeon always have to sit and watch people borderline bully her. Whatever. Nayeon didn’t save her life just for her to be treated like .

 

“Jeongyeon is needed for Student Officer stuff, Miss. Sorry to interrupt.”

 

The lady’s tone changed when she saw Nayeon, “Oh, Nayeon dear. That’s ok. Did you need anything else?”

 

“Uh, yes. Park Jihyo needs to check out a copy of 1984.”

 

“1984? Good choice, I love that girl. I’ll bring it to you in one...” she came out of the backroom with a book in her hand... “Second.” 

 

Nayeon smiled, beckoning Jeongyeon to come from behind the desk. 

 

“Thank you, Ma’am. Have a good day!”

 

The two girls walked out of the library in silence. Nayeon kept sneaking glances at Jeongyeon, who was minding her own business.

 

“I lied, by the way.” Nayeon said out of nowhere. 

 

“Hmm?”

 

“You’re not needed for anything. I just thought you looked miserable.”

 

Jeongyeon sighed, her shoulders relaxing, “You’d be right. Thanks.”

 

“It’s nothing. You and Jihyo are friends right? I’m sure seeing each other will brighten your day.”

 

Jeongyeon was silent, looking at Nayeon with curious eyes. After a moment, she spoke.

 

“How did you know that my tires were messed up that day?”

 

Nayeon froze in place. Instinctively going to rewind before stopping herself. No reason to do that, Nayeon, no reason.

 

“Well, uh... I didn’t. I don’t remember much from that day. I was really sick.”

 

“One hell of a coincidence. I could have died if you hadn’t said anything.”

 

“Oh...”

 

“So, thank you for being psychic when sick, Im Nayeon: I appreciate it.” There was something behind the younger girl’s voice that unsettled Nayeon, but she pushed it down for now.

 

“No problem.” 

 

The two girls got to the practice room and walked in, seeing Sana and Jihyo having a convo in the corner while Momo practiced the moves in the mirror.

 

“Oh, Nayeon! Wait, Jeongyeon’s here? Did you kidnap her?” Jihyo said as she bounced up, Sana following in suit.

 

“Kidnap? She saved me, Jihyo. Mrs. Bang was ready to work me to the bone while she watched soap operas in the backroom.”

 

“Ah, Nayeon’s like that. Our knight in shining armor.” Jihyo said as she grabbed the book from Nayeon’s hands, a budding smile on her face as she gently ran a finger over the cover.

 

“Oh hey, Sana from Lit.” Sana smiled at Jeongyeon’s words, her eyes glimmering.

 

“Jeongyeonie from Lit, my best seatmate!” Sana said as she gave Jeongyeon a hug, much to the taller girl’s discomfort. Sana pulled away with an apologetic face as Jihyo began to speak.

 

“Do you wanna see our performance so far? It’s a little unpolished but we need a fresh pair of eyes.” Jihyo asked as she moved to turn the music back on, looking at Jeongyeon expectantly. She set 1984 on the pile of book bags along the edge of the wall.

 

“Of course, Jihyo, I’d love to.”

 

The girls got into their starting formation as the music cued them in. Jeongyeon watched them dance and sing with wide eyes, leaning in close on the interesting parts. The part where Nayeon took center didn’t evoke the reaction that the older girl would have wanted. If someone asked Nayeon if she felt a strange emotion bubble in her when Jeongyeon leaned in to look at Momo, she would lie (and deny it).

 

The song ended with Momo standing tall in the back, with the other three girls at the bottom, posing fiercely. Jeongyeon grinned, clapping loudly while the song faded out and hooting as Momo relaxed, moving out of position.

 

“Wow! Momo, I didn’t know you could dance like that!”

 

Momo smirked, rolling her eyes playfully as she helped Jeongyeon stand up, “Didn’t know? I’m on the dance team.” 

 

“Well—yeah, but...” Jeongyeon paused, pouting as she thought... “I’m in the cooking club but I burnt pasta the other day. Charred it ‘till it was black. Being on a team/club doesn’t mean squat.”

 

Sana laughed loudly, “Remember the time that we were in Home Ec and you misread 10:00 minutes at 450 degrees and set it to 4:50 minutes at 1000 degrees? That was the worst chicken ever. You managed to burn the outside but the inside wasn’t even cooked!”

 

Jeongyeon groaned as she smacked Sana away, “Don’t remind me.”

 

Jihyo hummed as she smiled, “Well everyone knows you’re more of a baker, Jeong; you couldn’t get every single kitchen gene from your dad.”

 

Nayeon had to admit: she had no idea what they were talking about. Nayeon wasn’t aware that Jeongyeon was so close to her team. Was she the only one that Jeongyeon wasn’t comfortable with? That kind of question bruised her ego. (She would never admit it.)

 

“Oh, Nayeon,” Jihyo started, turning to the girl, “Incase you didn’t know, Jeongyeon’s dad is a chef.”

 

“Ah, good to know.” 

 

Momo turned to Jeongyeon with inquisitive eyes, “Oh, Jeongyeonie, why didn’t you join us? It would have been fun!” Nayeon’s head whipped towards Momo and Jeongyeon as they spoke. Since when did Jeongyeon perform? Could she sing? Dance? Nayeon was unsettled by how much new stuff she learned about her.

 

“What is this dance even for? Besides, I’ve had a lot on my plate, Momoring.”

 

Momo was about to speak, but Jihyo quickly interrupted her, “This dance is for nothing in particular: we were just practicing. Besides, we understand Jeongyeon. If you need someone to talk to, just know that we’re all friends here. Well, maybe except Nayeon.” Jihyo finished the last part under her breath, yet Nayeon still picked up on it.

 

“I heard that, Park Jihyo! I heard that. I’m a friend too.”

 

“Sorry Nayeon, but you are really abrasive sometimes.”

 

Nayeon froze in her words, eyes trailing over Jihyo’s face as she tried to decipher her expression. Jihyo wasn’t joking. 

 

“Oh.”

 

Jihyo frowned, opening to say something else, yet shutting it closed.

 

Jeongyeon chuckled nervously, fiddling with her sleeve, “Well hey, I can help you guys with the performances. I’m not much, but I wanna help. Get my mind off of things, you know.”

 

Jihyo smiled, her eyes faintly crinkling, “Whatever works for you, Jeongyeon.”

 

Nayeon’s focus faded in-and-out of the conversation. She couldn’t stop repeating the words Jihyo had said with 100% seriousness. Nayeon was an abrasive person. It wasn’t a secret. Nayeon knew she was a little difficult, but she never considered that Jihyo might feel that way too. Jihyo was her closest friend—someone she had known forever and a person she had always relied on. She never wanted Jihyo to feel that way.

 

At the same time, a lot of things made sense. Jeongyeon didn’t shy away from Nayeon because Jeongyeon was socially inept, but instead it was because Nayeon had a reputation for being abrasive. Hell, Momo had seen it all. The year before, Nayeon had a bad day and let it out on the poor dancer. She never apologized. She almost never did. The encounter had completely fleeted Nayeon’s mind, to the point where she forgot about it until Momo brought it up the day they started practicing.

 

Nayeon always thought that she was the good guy—the sarcastic-yet-lovable hero. However, she found out that she was nowhere near that. 

 

The withdrawal began.

 

Nayeon didn’t want to apologize. Im Nayeon doesn’t apologize. If Nayeon needed to apologize, she rewound until she didn’t. If Nayeon couldn’t rewind, then she wasn’t wrong. So, she went on for a couple days and pretended that nothing had bothered her.

 

Until Momo gave her a wake up call.

 

“Oh, come on Momo. There’s only thirty minutes of practice left today. We all need it.” Sana said as Momo started packing up, mumbling about some dinner date.

 

“I’m sorry, Satang. My sister is only in Korea for a couple more days and I really need this time to meet her.”

 

“Ah, I forgot about that. I understand.” 

 

Nayeon hummed to herself, listening to the two Japanese girls. She looked at herself in the mirror, adjusting her clothes and fixing her hair. She had to make sure everything was perfect and in place.

 

Jeongyeon couldn’t go to help out that day, something to do with her family. Along with that, Jihyo had some nerd club meetings and had to miss out. 

 

Nayeon was left with the Japanese versions of Thing One and Thing Two. And frankly? She was upset. Nayeon wasn’t gonna take time out of her day just for everyone else to skip practice.

 

“So, is this just skipping practice day? In that case, I think I’ll go to the fair, maybe go to the movies and enjoy myself.”

 

Sana looked between the two girls, feeling uncomfortable with the budding tension, “I-It’s not like that Nayeon, Momo—”

 

“Momo’s leaving. I don’t see how it’s not like that. There’s nothing wrong with skipping, just have a little pride in it.”

 

Sana started to shuffle, putting a hand on Momo’s shoulder. She started to speak, but Momo cut her off.

 

“Do you always have to insert yourself in other people's business? You don’t need to know why it’s important to me and honestly it shouldn’t matter. But of course, Im Nayeon doesn’t know how to empathize.” Sana was desperately trying to keep her two friends from killing each other, but they had other plans.


Nayeon whipped around, striding up to Momo, “Don’t tell me what I know and don’t know what to do. You and I both know that Hirai Momo thinks she’s too good to stay at practice.”

 

“No, Nayeon,” Momo said with exhaustion laced in her voice, “That’s what you would think. I just haven’t seen my sister in years and—not that you would care—I miss her. I don’t think like you. I just want this day to be nice since my sister won’t be able to see our performance. Am I allowed to go see my sister, Mrs. Im?”

 

Nayeon just watched as Momo scoffed and walked towards the door. Nayeon should apologize. Nayeon needed to apologize. Yet every time, like a coward, Nayeon feebly raises her arm. With a sigh. She goes back in time.

 

Rewind.

 

“Ah, I forgot about that. I understand,” Sana said as she held Momo’s phone out to her, smiling as the dancer took it. 

 

Momo started to move to the door, pausing as she turned back to look at Nayeon. Momo failed to see the glossy look in Nayeon's eyes and just assumed that the older girl was having a quiet day. The door clicked shut and Nayeon let out a deep breath, relaxing as she sat down, looking in the mirror.

 

Nayeon and Sana just sat in silence before Nayeon spoke.

 

“You can just go home early, Sana,” Nayeon spoke softly, locking eyes with Sana in the mirror. 

 

Nayeon could see Sana’s confused expression and braced herself for some invasive questions (like Sana does).

 

Yet, Sana just packed her stuff in silence and left. Nayeon was alone.

 

Nayeon’s starting to get tired of feeling like the bad guy, but she didn’t even know where to start.

 

The days went on without any incident. Nayeon hadn’t even rewound much (minus the time where she spilt spaghetti on herself). Nayeon had committed herself to a strict damage control plan. Do not engage and avoid contact if possible.

 

“Hey Nayeon? We’re going to eat out after practice today. You down?” Jihyo asked as she stretched, chewing gum between words.

 

“No, I have stuff to do.” Jihyo tilted her head with her brows knit in confusion, falling out of her stretch. It was unlike Nayeon to say no. Especially to Jihyo.

 

“Well, we won’t be out long. I—”

 

“It’s a no, Jihyo. Sorry.” 

 

“Ah, alright then.” Jihyo left it at that, and started up the music on loop. Momo immediately hopped into position, running through the steps like she had practiced the dance for years. 

 

Green wasn’t a color that Nayeon looked good in, but she couldn’t help it sometimes. Momo’s moves looked so effortless—so effortless that Nayeon felt weak compared to her.

 

Everyone had their sins. Nayeon figured it wasn’t a crime to feel envious every once in a while.

 

One day the universe just had to with her.

 

“Hey, where’s Momo?” Jihyo asked, still in her school clothes. The dance room was cold, so no one was looking forward to changing too early. 

 

Sana looked up at Jihyo from the floor, “She said she had to talk to a teacher or something. She brought Jeongyeon with her.”

 

Jihyo sighed, looking at the time on her watch. She gnawed at the inside of her cheek, looking at Nayeon briefly before looking away.

 

“Well, we’re running late, so we either start without them or send someone out for them.”

 

“I don’t understand what’s taking them so long; Momo said it would be quick.”

 

Nayeon sighed, getting up from her place by the mirror and stretching, her back popping. She figured she could give Jihyo some time alone with her little crush while Nayeon got to go for a walk. It was a win-win.

 

“I can go get them, you two can just... do some exercises? Or something? Maybe work on vocals?”

 

Jihyo nodded, a small smile on her face, “Yeah, we can work on singing.”

 

Nayeon had been walking around for 10 minutes, roaming the outside of the school considering that the inside was practically void. It was cooler outside now that it was turning fall, but it was warm enough for Nayeon to stay out without a coat.

 

Nayeon heard voices around the back of the building, but didn’t pay it any mind until she heard Jeongyeon’s voice.

 

“Listen, we don’t want any trouble! We’re sorry.”

 

Nayeon peaked around the corner and looked into the back boulevard, watching as Jeongyeon and Momo spoke with a group of five girls. She almost groaned when the girls got closer, engaging with her friends even more.

 

Seriously? Does Nayeon have to do everything around here? Of-ing-course Jeongyeon and Momo got themselves cornered by the reform school transfers. And of-ing-course Nayeon was the only one that could help.

 

When Momo tried to de-escalate the situation and leave, one of the girls pushed her, knocking her down to the ground harshly. Jeongyeon moved to stand in front of Momo, only slightly. Nayeon guessed it was so they couldn’t get to the dancer without going through Jeongyeon.

 

Nayeon had to step in before something bad happened to them.

 

“Hey! What do you guys think you’re doing?!” Nayeon said as she strided over to the girls. 

 

Nayeon was stopped mid stride by a solid fist to her nose. She couldn’t even pretend to be unaffected; that was a good punch. , such a good punch that her face was leaking, blood pouring down from her nostrils. Nayeon hunched over, covering her nose with her hands.

 

“. G-Good punch.” Nayeon stuttered out, trying to stop the blood from staining her shirt.


The transfers laughed, complimenting the puncher. Nayeon couldn’t even be mad. She deserved it.

 

“Oh, you girls don’t know what’s coming.”

 

“Yeah right, Bunny. Go on and scurry; this isn’t your business.”

 

“.ssenisub ruoy t’nsi siht ;yrrucs dna no oG .tibbaR ,thgir haeY”

 

How was Nayeon supposed to approach this? Well, the first rule was don’t let Miss Iron-Hands get close to her. Her nose didn’t physically hurt anymore, but her ego was bruised just as badly.

 

First, she needed to check on the two dimwits.

 

“Jeongyeon? Momo? Are you guys okay?”

 

“Well, Momo’s on the ground and we’re cornered. So, I guess not.” Jeongyeon shouted, sarcasm evident. 

 

Nayeon rolled her eyes, “It was just a question.”

 

“My turn! Why have you been avoiding us?” 

 

“I-Is this really the time?”

 

“I don’t know, but this is the first time you’ve spoken to any of us outside practice in forever, so you tell me.”

 

“Why are you being difficult? Just let me save you!”

 

The transferee in the front groaned, “Can you es shut up? Man, you can’t even intimidate anymore without some little showing up,” she directed herself toward the intruder, “Beat it, Princess. You won’t win this fight.”

 

Nayeon smirked. In a normal situation? One hundred percent. Nayeon wouldn’t win. However, Nayeon has all the time in the world to make this fight go the way she wants it to. 

 

“Bring it, then.”

 

The thing about the school is that they have a no-tolerance policy. If anything about this got out and they found out that Nayeon threw a punch, even in self-defense, she would get punished.

 

The good thing is that Nayeon doesn’t need to throw a punch to win.

 

The leader girl or whatever (she didn’t know the hierarchy of whatever gang-thingy this was) sent someone to deal with Nayeon, one of the taller girls of the group. She walked up to Nayeon, motioning in big circles with her arms.

 

“Come on, Rabbit! Come on, hit me.”

 

“I’m not gonna hit you.” 

 

Nayeon let her small smile grow as Tall Girl threw the first punch. With a quick rewind, Nayeon ducked under it just in time.

 

“Huh? What? How did you—”

 

Nayeon was snickering, watching the other three girls look at their friend with disappointed expressions. One of them was rooting her on, though.

 

Momo had finally got off the ground and was trying to make her escape again. Nayeon held in her laugh when Leader Girl made one step toward her and Momo freaked, slipping on gravel and falling to the ground again. 

 

Nayeon’s distraction gave her a nice right hook in her jaw, the Tall Girl attempting to redeem herself. Nayeon gave a quick rewind and jumped back, watching as Tall Girl’s own momentum flung her to the ground. Tall Girl groaned at the unexpected move and stayed there, not wanting anymore trouble.

 

“Oh come on, Fox,” Leader Girl said, “She’s barely 5’4 and didn’t even lay a hand on you.”

 

“You try doing it! She’s fast, Lion.”

 

“Fox? Lion?” Nayeon thought, “These girls have odd names.”

 

Lion, the leader, sighed while cracking her knuckles. “Come on with me, Wolf. We’ll show her how the leaders of the pride and pack do things.”

 

“I’m so confused. Are these your actual names or...?” Jeongyeon asked, wondering the same thing as Nayeon. Momo was still on the pavement, watching Lion’s moves very carefully as if she were afraid to move.

 

“What, is Lion not hard enough for you? My birth name was Nails.” Nayeon’s eyes were wide and she had a lot of questions, but she decided to keep shut this time. 

 

“Whatever, Lion, let’s get rid of the bunny and take our prey.” 

 

Nayeon thought the animal act was ridiculous, but she decided to save her comments for another time.

 

Lion jumped in with a kick, but Nayeon dodged easily without her power. Wolf, however, pushed her into Lion, who held her in an arm choke. Nayeon, with a little maneuvering, got her arm free and rewound. When Wolf moved to push her, Nayeon slid out of the way, landing on the ground and watching as Wolf accidentally tackled her own friend.

 

“What the hell, Wolf?” Lion said as they both laid there.

 

“Sorry, she moved too fast!”

 

“, I think you sprained my ankle.”

 

“I said I’m sorry!” 

 

Lion looked at her two friends, who were still standing. Fox was still on the ground, nursing her scraped knee. Wolf was too weak to fight alone and needed to help Lion up. It was all on them two.

 

“Y’all, do something!”

 

The shorter of the two, a buff and stocky girl, stretched while cracking her neck.

 

“I have to do everything. Whatever, Hawks are natural predators to bunnies like you.” She grinned as she ran up, with her sharp nails bared.

 

Hawk scratched toward Nayeon’s eyes, but she dodged, side-stepping around her. Hawk was a strong fighter, but she was too slow. After a few seconds of avoidance, Hawk got frustrated.

 

“Why do you keep running? Just fight me!” 

 

Hawk abandoned her claw technique and tried to elbow Nayeon, missing narrowly. Faint running was heard behind Nayeon, who turned to see Fox leaping towards her. With a quick rewind to prepare herself, Nayeon ducked as Fox sent an ill-timed punch, rocking Hawk in the face. Nayeon crawled out of the way as Fox froze, tearing up.

 

“Oh no! Baby, I’m so sorry,” Tears were running down Fox’s face as she cradled her unconscious partner. Fox got a good punch out, at least.

 

As the rest of the group was incapacitated, Nayeon looked in anticipation to the last girl.

 

“So, who are you? Shark? Crocodile? Bear—”

 

“Stacy.”

 

“Piranha? Stacy—” Nayeon recoiled, not expecting that answer— “Stacy?”

 

“Yes, I’m Stacy. I-I’m not a fighter. I swear, we’ll go now. I promise.”

 

Stacy panicked, running around in a hurry while gathering up all her friends. Lion shouted in protest, but Wolf just picked her up as they started walking off. Fox was helping Hawk, who was fading in-and-out of consciousness. Slowly, they weren’t a problem anymore.

 

The girls were out of sight and Nayeon sighed, finally relaxing her muscles. That was the weirdest encounter of her life. A small cough made Nayeon turn around, looking at the two problem children.

 

Both of their jaws were on the floor, but they snapped them shut when Nayeon turned back around. Momo was still on the floor and her elbow was bleeding.

 

Jeongyeon spoke first, breathless, “Nayeon, I didn’t know you could... fight... like that.”

 

“Fight? Oh, I guess it was a fight.” Nayeon’s outward monologue sent the two girls into more confusion.

 

“I—uh... I took... Taekwondo. Yeah, taekwondo.” Nayeon’s lying was absolutely awful but with what the two had just seen, they believed it. 100%.

 

“Huh.” Momo said, just then feeling the pain in her elbow. She winced as she prodded at the scrape, not noticing Nayeon’s soft eyes on her.

 

Nayeon walked over to Momo and held out a hand, offering it to her. Momo looked Nayeon up-and-down and took the hand firmly. The dancer huffed as she got pulled up, but slowly balanced herself. 

 

“You should get that elbow checked out. Jeongyeon’s sister is the nurse, so maybe I’ll let you two go. Just don’t get cornered again.”

 

Momo was silent for a moment. Then she chuckled.

 

“Maybe you’re right.”

 

“Come on, dum-dums. Let’s go to practice. I bet Sana and Jihyo are bored out of their minds right now.”

 

Momo smirked at the mention of her best friend, “If Sana gets her way, then they’re definitely not bored right now.”

 

Nayeon cocked a brow, “Oh?”

 

“Mmhm.” Momo said, walking by Nayeon. Jeongyeon trailed behind, just watching the two girls talk freely. Momo fell back to speak to Jeongyeon as Nayeon moved onwards, into the school building.

 

“Jeong? I bet 5 dollars that Sana and Jihyo are face right now.” Momo said, money in hand.

 

Jeongyeon rolled her eyes, “God, you’re gross. You’re on. Jihyo’s too much of a coward to do anything.”

 

The girls stopped in their tracks once they entered the building and heard Nayeon’s loud screech echo throughout the hallway.


“PARK JIHYO AND MINATOZAKI SANA ARE MAKING OUT! SO GROSS!”