Chapter III

Recklessly, I'll Follow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A light knock on the door, followed by Minju peeking her head in, told Chaewon that it was time for her to go for her lunch date. Earlier, when she returned to her room, Chaewon changed into a yellow sundress--simple and plain. She motioned to Minju to help her with her dress, buttoning up the place she couldn’t reach. 

“You look pretty.” Minju commented, locking the door behind her. She came up from behind Chaewon and pushed her hair over her shoulder, assisting the other girl with her final buttons. “Have a change of heart?” She asked, patting the other girls shoulders once she finished. Chaewon turned around to face Minju, revealing the bare minimum makeup on her face. 

“I’m not trying to impress.” Chaewon glared, turning back to the mirror and continuing to comb her hair thoroughly, ensuring all tangles are gone. Her comb snagged, and she sighed. “I’m trying to satisfy.”

“Mitsu?” Minju poked further, taking the comb from Chaewon’s hands and working on the back of her head, mentally counting each .  

Chaewon scoffed, “No, my father and mother. If they see I’m putting an effort in with him maybe they’ll get off my back.” When Minju finished with her hair, Chaewon looked herself up and down. “A different approach.” 

Minju didn’t comment. She instead motioned for Chaewon to follow her to the door. “Your highness,” she mocked,  “it’s time to go.” 



She walked to the courtyard, being tailed by Yujin and Minju. Before meeting her date for the afternoon, Minju wished her luck and went her own separate way. Chaewon assumed she was in charge of delivering the dishes. 

Yujin stopped at the entranceway, assuming her post to watch over the princess and anyway who entered. “Princess,” Yujin started, “remember what I said.”

“Give him a chance only if he earns it.” Chaewon recounted, staring at the man sitting in the middle of the courtyard on a blanket taken from somewhere within the palace. “Well, he better impress me today.” She walked over to the young man, his smile getting wider as she approached. 

“Princess, you look lovely as always.” He bowed in her presence, and motioned for her to sit. She did so, careful with her dress as to not expose too much of her legs. Not too much later, Minju came back outside with two dishes in hand.

“The main course,” Minju said, placing two plates, each with their own cooked fish, in front of the two of them. It smelt delicious, and Chaewon recognizes this fish from the nearest lake. Freshly caught, just as Chaewon liked it. She smiled appreciatively at Minju before the servant went back to her duties.  The dinner was silent, excluding the few feeble attempts Mitsu made at a conversation. But he was boring. Mitsu just talked about how much land his family owned and how much he will inherit. He mentioned very little about himself nor did he bother to ask anything about Chaewon. She had to wonder if this worked on other girls. Chaewon guessed not if he was here, trying to court her. 

“I have my sister making dessert for us. I think you’ll like it.” Mitsu commented after a few minutes of silence. 

Chaewon’s left eyebrow rose. “Why not have one of our servants make it?” 

“No one can make it like my sister.” He beamed, chest puffing out a little. “And I want to impress you, and this dish is the best out there.” 

“Impress me?” Chaewon was confused at the statement. She’s not surprised he wants to impress her, more so that he’s using his sister to do so. How would using someone else’s food impress her? 

“Yeah, I…” Mitsu trailed off, a subtle pink hue appearing on his cheeks. “I’ve liked you since I was a kid. You were around 8 years old. We met at a party and you were so refined, unlike the other girls.” 

Chaewon held back a scoff, Of course I wasn’t like other girls. I was 8 and a princess. I didn’t have time to be a kid. 

“Even now, more beautiful than I remember.” Mitsu inched forward, roughly pulling Chaewon into him. She grimaced, and placed her hands on his chest and tried to push herself away. 

“Get off,” She demanded, putting more force. He stayed firm. 

“Princess, let me show you my love.” He said, his eyes unmoving from Chaewon.

The princess froze, panic bubbling in her chest. With the last remaining bit of will, she yelled, “No! Yujin!” From the corner of her eye she can see Yujin moving towards them accompanied by a smaller pink haired figure. 

“Brother!” At the cry of his sister, he detached himself. “Gods, can’t you see she’s uncomfortable?” She scolds, standing between Chaewon and Mitsu. “I come here to deliver the pie you request, and this is what I see?” 

“But father said--”

“Father didn’t mean to force yourself on her.” Hitomi grabbed Chaewon’s wrist, pulling her towards the exit. Chaewon just allowed herself to be dragged to wherever Hitomi was leading her. Next thing she knew, she was standing in front of the garden’s maze. Hitomi turned several lefts and rights. She was silent as she led the princess. Eventually, Hitomi stopped and cursed under her breath, “Why is the center easier to find than your spot?” The center of the maze was an open area, filled with flowers and a large fountain that a few frogs have made their homes. Hitomi sighed and turned towards the princess, “I’m sorry, your highness. I hope this will do.” 

“I don’t think I understand, Honda. Will what do?” Chaewon moved towards the fountain, opting to sit on the edge. 

“A place to relax.” She paused, taking Chaewon’s hand. “You’re still shaking.” Chaewon looked down at her own hands to discover that Hitomi was telling the truth. Her gaze shifted from her shaking hands to the slim fingers holding it. Hito

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter