Chapter I

Recklessly, I'll Follow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Overhead, a bird sung its song. Kim Chaewon strained her head back to listen and watch as it flew past her and over the walls of the castle. Chaewon wondered if it even went past the kingdom’s borders. Her kingdom, Kingdom Aforenia, was a large land home to over a thousand people. She and her family oversaw the whole kingdom, their castle sitting upon the highest hill overlooking the land. It was hot, a typical summer in Aforenia. In an attempt to cool herself, she hiked her dress up a little, letting more air hit her skin. She took her crown off and placed it on her lap, scratching where it rested earlier. Lastly, she kicked her shoes off, letting the grass tickle the bottom of her feet and resumed looking into the sky, as if she could see something other than clouds.

 

A snap in front of her brought her attention pack. “Princess, please pay attention. I only have you for a few minutes more.” Her teacher, Eunbi, was a lady she met only in recent years, hired by her family to teach her. Before Eunbi, her family only gave her lessons on being a proper princess, but after her parent’s numerous failed attempts at giving birth to a boy—or giving birth at all—her father and mother decided it was best if she expanded her knowledge now that there was no doubt that she would inherit the kingdom. “Now, where was I?” Eunbi paused and looked back at the book in her hands. “Ah, right! Now, grammar is what we call correct English which can include proper sentence structure. You know how to do this when speaking, but writing proper grammar is different than speaking—”

 

“Chaewon!” Her mother called from above, interrupting Eunbi. “Come up please, we have guests!” Without waiting for a response, her mother turned back to go inside, leaving the door open a crack. Chaewon noticed her mother did her hair, a clear indicator this visitor was someone important. She grimaced, guessing it was another suitor. Her parents have been pushing her more often than ever now to find someone and marry.

 

Eunbi closed her book and took Chaewon’s, sighing. “I guess we’ll stop this lesson short today. Please do the practice I recommended this time, Princess. You won’t learn if you don’t practice.” Chaewon just nodded, fixing her dress, slipping her shoes on, and turning to go inside. “Wait, Chaewon!” Eunbi called behind her. Chaewon whipped back around, a snarl on her face.

 

“What did you just call me?”

 

“I-I’m sorry, your royal highness.” Eunbi cowered. She took a hesitant step forward and placed the crown on top of Chaewon’s head. “Please forgive me for speaking out of tongue.”

 

Chaewon adjusted her crown, and turned back around, taking a few steps forward before pausing. “We aren’t friends,” Chaewon said. “Remember that. But don’t worry, I won’t tell my mother about this exchange.” She held her head up high and marched inside. When she was a far enough distance, she let out a small sigh. If Chaewon was honest, she hated to act like that, but her mother taught her that’s what she needed to do to remind them who’s in power. “I’m in power. I’m in power.” Chaewon mumbled to herself.

 

Upon entering the manor, she was greeted by Minju, her personal servant. She has been in the family since she was born, her mother is one of the cooks and her father being a servant as well. Chaewon and Minju grew up together, being the only two young kids in the palace and being nearly the same age. They were close. Chaewon liked to think of them as best friends. But Minju was hard to read, and sometimes, Chaewon doubts if the girl views her as anything other than the princess. “Ah! Your highness, your parents and the guests are waiting in the foyer.” She said, rushing over to Chaewon’s side. “Can I get you anything?”

 

Chaewon raised an eyebrow at the other girl. “Why are you talking like that?”

 

“Like what?”

 

“So formally. We agreed not to when it’s just us.” Chaewon clarified.

 

Minju looked past Chaewon’s shoulder for a brief moment before returning eye contact. “We aren’t alone.” Minju waved at whoever was behind Chaewon. She looked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter