Epilogue

Lay My Love On You

The duchess fixed the delicate crown on top of the head of her daughter, a smile making its way to her face as Yena’s dark eyes met her in search for reassurance that was given by a single nod from her mother. “You look great, my dear. You just need to keep the crown for a couple of minutes and then I will get it back. So, don’t worry, you will be able to play with your friends.” She explained, gently patting the little girl’s back. “Even if you drop it, it’s fine. Being a princess is more than carrying a crown.”

“It’s about carrying yourself like one.” Chaewon chirped in – a similar looking crown on top of her head, bright gold against the red hair –, smiling at them in a comforting manner. She glanced at her wife with adoring eyes, observing her beautiful figure dressed in a blue dress that fitted her just right, before moving her eyes to their daughter. Caressing Yena’s reddish hair, carefully to not touch the crown placed atop, her smile grew bigger. “You will be just fine, ducky.” Yena was like Minjoo in many ways, from her clinginess to her dark eyes, but her features so similar to Chaewon’s made it undeniable she was the next one in line for their kingdom. Her natural kindness and strong head would make her a great queen one day, but this day was still very far – Chaewon had just assumed the throne now that her dad retired, meaning she had at least more third years of ruling ahead. “Yuri will be there, too.” She added as an incentive, knowing her daughter shared a special bond with the young daughter of the Prime Minister of Lepus.

The eight-year-old girl gave her parents a smile, her usual bright personality shining now that she had something else in her mind to focus, other than the possibility of dropping her crown on the dance floor.

They were at Lepus to celebrate Eunbi’s fifteen anniversary as the queen, what of course included a huge ball with every important representant of all the neighbor kingdoms, including Chaewon and Minjoo – but of course, for them it was more like a visit to a good friend. They had brought their daughters, Yena and their four-year-old Wonyoung, to have their first experience at a ball outside their own nation. While Yena was a little nervous to have to wear her crown in front of so many people, she was also excited with the trip; Wonyoung was too young to feel nervous or carry her own crown, therefore the toddler was playing with the small silver diadem Minjoo had placed in between her dark hair – it probably wouldn’t even last long enough for the pictures, but their daughter still looked adorable with it.

Their little one was currently busy playing with one of her toys – a dog plushie named Charlie that was a gift from Kriesha – thankfully Wonyoung was not only really smart, but also well behaved. Chaewon’s parents liked to joke saying it was the same for every generation of the family, and Minjoo couldn’t really deny it. Picking up the kid, Minjoo gave her a peck on the cheek, fixing one more time the diadem on her hair. “You look gorgeous, Wonyo!” She complimented, receiving an easy smile in return as the child touched her face with her tiny hands.

“Mommy looks pretty too!” The honesty compliment came along with a wet kiss to Minjoo’s cheek, making the women laugh and the other duo pay them attention.

“Wonyo has good eyes. Her mother is really pretty, just like her and her sister.” Of course, it was Chaewon saying, and although she had heard such compliments from her wife so many times before, Minjoo still smiled like it was the first time. They were together for ten years, still there wasn’t a moment she ever regretted agreeing to that marriage. If anything, she was very glad she had accepted it.

“I heard their other mom is a very gorgeous queen. I think it must be a family thing.” Winking at her wife, the brunette returned the compliment. She wasn’t lying, Chaewon always looked gorgeous to her, tonight in her formal attire, the queen was as stunning as ever.

Once they were all ready, they moved to the common room where they should wait until it was their turn to go down to the ballroom. Letting the kids playing with some toys in a corner – and mentally praying none of them would lose their crown in this small-time space –, the couple sat together on the couch.

Minjoo turned to Chaewon who had a small smile on her face as she watched their kids playing together – Yena was telling Wonyoung some fantastic story that she was making up as it goes and the younger kid was listening to it intentionally, asking questions and giving all the reactions her sister needed to continue; they were very close and Minjoo could feel her heart swell just by watching them bonding so well. It grew double the size as she noticed Chae’s fond smile.

“Chae?” She called softly, and the woman only hummed in reply, waiting for her to continue. “Tell me about your first love.”

“My first love? All of sudden?” The questions caught Chaewon’s attention, the redhead turning to face her wife. They both knew who her first love was – she was smiling back at her right now. Deciding to play along, she hugged Minjoo by the shoulders as she spoke: “I guess it was when I was fourteen…Maybe before, but it was when I realized it.”

Snuggling up to her wife, Minjoo glanced at her. It was her first time hearing this story, although they had shared many others before. “And why only then?”

“Because it was your birthday and you ran straight to me. And it just made me feel...Loved, I guess.” Chaewon tighten the hug a little more, her mind filled with memories of so many years ago. At that time, her heart would jump inside her chest in an unknown feeling, while now it beat in a familiar rhythm only Minjoo could create. “Like now.”

Min carried her own fond memories of that day, a day she could remember clearly as well. “My parents scolded me for greeting you first, but I was so happy that day I didn’t mind it.” Back then she couldn’t name it, but deep down she always knew what her feelings for Chaewon were. “Now look at them.” Her tone had a hint of mischief, thinking about the couple who they would only see at official events. With time Minjoo had learned to not mind them, as it was for the best. She had found her new home and family and it was enough for her.

“They probably are not very happy now either.” Chae let out a chuckle, shaking her head. What was once a heavy topic, was now disregarded easily. They knew nothing could break them apart, especially Minjoo’s spoiled parents. “But, I definitely am.” She completed, giving her wife a kiss that was returned with a smile.

Min cupped her face, her eyes shining with the light of love as she identified the same emotion in the chestnut orbs. “I would run to you every time.”

Resting a hand over Minjoo’s, the queen nodded slowly. “I know. But you don’t have to, I will be right here.” And Minjoo knew that it, like all Chaewon’s past promises, was absolutely true.

That night, the Kim family made their entrance together. Chaewon holding Yena’s hand on her right one, her left arm laced on Minjoo’s, as her wife kept their youngest daughter close by holding her chubby baby hand in hers. Just like the evening of their first official ball as a married couple, the queen and the duchess exchanged a look, having each other as their source of confidence and happiness – feelings they passed to their kids as the family took their first step together to greet their dearest friends.

They carried open smiles and light hearts, fully aware that it was their own version of a happy ending. One, that hopefully their kids would also reach someday – and they would be there to help, no arranged marriages needed.

 

 



 

A/N: And that's the end. As I said, it was a pretty simple thing and I'm sorry if it didn't go as some of your expected it to go (I admit of the crime of using this fic just as an excuse to write 2kim as Disney princess and I regret nothing xD). Sorry about any mistakes, proofreading will never be my friend.

Thanks everyone who read 'till here and supported this work. Feel free to let me know what you think here or on twitter (@uncreativeacc).

As for my next project...Who knows? Please take care and see you all soon.