Lay My Promises

Lay My Love On You

Chaewon run her hands through the soft fabric of her white sweater, checking her image in the mirror one last time. She didn’t have much time to get ready, having just finished an important meeting – another one, lately it feels like they would never end – she had to run to her bedroom and change into some comfortable clothes to meet her fiancée.

As usual their date wouldn’t be much, just another day walking through the vast gardens of the palace and maybe visiting some of the older constructions at the South of their land, still under the protection of the royal guards. Needless to say, it wasn’t very romantic.

However, there wasn’t much Chae could do. Right now, it was too risky for her to sneak around, having all attention of the media on her, the moment they spotted Minjoo it would be all over the news. That’s why they kept their dates secretive, it was her parents’ way of giving them some time to ‘get to know each other’ before announcing to the whole world they would be getting married.

So far, those meetings were somewhere in between an awkward blind date and meeting again a friend after a long time – it pretty much was what they were at the moment. Chae knew Minjoo well, she could read her expressions and feel comfortable around her, yet this new situation made things that used to be so easy and simple, a lot more complicated thanks to all the pressure on them. Her brother had over twenty years to do it and chose to ignore this aspect of the deal, treating Minjoo like another sister, while Chaewon only had three months – two now – and no choice but push through with it.

It was a little overwhelming.

Nonetheless, the princess was doing her best to just enjoy those moments and make sure Minjoo was as comfortable and happy as she could be about their relationship. She was trying her best to face the wedding like part of her duties, but a big part of her was struggling to push aside her feelings.

Heading downstairs, taking the short route to the gardens she easily spotted the younger brunette's back, noticing how similar their outfits were – sneakers, jeans and a sweater, Minjoo choosing a black one instead. They looked more like college students than part of the royalty and this somehow made Chaewon feel a little more relaxed.

“Chaewon.” Minjoo said, turning with a smile to face the redhead. She had been waiting for her for a while now, watching the green garden that looked almost infinite – she knew it well, the labyrinth of vegetation used to be their playground as kids and it hadn’t changed. It was a little ironic how they shared so many memories together, yet here they were going on dates under the excuse of getting to know each other and dealing with an awkward atmosphere that wasn’t there before.

For her, meeting Chae was always a pleasant experience. In many ways, the older girl made her feel comfortable around her – be it her sweet voice, or the gentle touch of her hand on hers, or even how willing she always was to try and make conversation. If the prince never spared Minjoo any of his time, Chaewon was quite the opposite – for a long time Minjoo wondered how much of it had to do with real affection, and how much was only due to the young princess strong sense of responsibility; now this doubt bothered her even more.

“Minjoo! I’m sorry, the meeting took longer than expected. Did you wait for long?” And here it was again, the polished words and over politeness you would expect of someone like her, a tone that was too formal to be what you would see between lovers – or soon to be ones. If anything, this type of perfect, impersonal answer, should put her off, give a feel of coldness that Minjoo wouldn’t want in a partner – however, it didn’t. Chaewon’s words were indeed too formal, but her small, genuine smile and the bright spark on her eyes said otherwise.

Minjoo knew Chaewon well enough to know she was the farthest thing from cold.

Shaking her head slightly, she returned the smile with an easy one. “Just a bit, but it’s okay, I like the gardens. We used to play here, remember?” Wanting to break the formal atmosphere right away, she reached out to grab Chaewon by the arm, prompting her to follow her as they made their way downstairs. “They set up a picnic for us today. Sometimes having such nosy parents isn’t that bad.”

Chaewon’s reply came in the form of soft chuckle, the sound carried a hint of relief to it and Min could tell it was a good sign.

“Of course, I do! You were my favorite playmate.” And one of the few people Chae had the opportunity to meet so often – however, she suspected it would still be truth even if she had the chance of meeting more kids back then. As she grew up, she had met several people, yet she would always look for Min’s company regardless. Chaewon allowed Min to guide the way, gently shrugging her hand off her sleeve, so she could hold it with her own hand instead as they walked – the contact was familiar and nice, they had done it a couple of times now and Chaewon was growing fond of this feeling. “They do, right? The weather is perfect for a picnic today.” Actually, it was Chaewon herself who asked for it and even selected what would go inside the basket. It wasn’t much, but it was her way of trying to please the brunette and make sure she enjoyed their date a little more.

Seeing Minjoo’s relaxed smile and holding onto her soft hands brought a light, warm feeling to her chest, the one feeling she had felt many times before but only now was allowed to fully appreciate it – even if secretly for now.

“We are matching too! I think this is a pretty cute.” Min’s words carried a childish excitement to it and Chae could only chuckle once more.

“It’s my first time matching outfits with my date and it’s on accident, but I think we look pretty nice.” She agreed with a head nod, her eyes coming to inspect Minjoo once more, amazed by how good she managed to look even in the simplest clothes. Her gaze went back to the girl’s face, finding all the beautiful features that gave her not only the classical beauty, but also the most adorable face Chaewon ever saw. “You are really cute.”

For a diplomatic leader, Chae was clearly bad at hiding her thoughts. She felt her ears growing warm and was about to try to fix it with a proper compliment – because there were norms even for that and her protection mechanism always made her turn back to rules she had grown up learning.

Minjoo, however, looked pretty content with her words, her free hand coming to lightly slap Chae’s shoulder as her eyes turned into crescents. “I would tell you to stop being cheesy, but you know, I never got the chance of experiencing going on dates like this and all that comes with it…So I think I will just enjoy it.”

Chaewon’s embarrassed smile was replaced by a smaller, slightly sad one. While she had her fair share of dates – most failing terribly and all set up by her parents, but still experiences –, Minjoo was stuck with a promise she didn’t make, but that was pushed onto her. Chaewon knew her brother never really cared about it, living a life of his own whenever he had the chance, but as far as she knew, Minjoo was always under her parents’ control and it would be harder for her to get to know new people and date without them knowing.

“The public was never aware of the promise between our families. It was never official.” She started in a quiet voice, her steps slow as they moved through the green lawn. Even now, this promise was still a secret to the outside world, they still hadn’t reached the point of no return but it would happen soon and Chae had to keep it in mind – it was a huge step and they had to be together all the way. “You did study a year abroad, right? Maybe then…” She let her words fall short, unsure about how to say it. She wanted to know more about Minjoo’s life and it felt like an important thing to know, but at the same time she didn’t want her to feel pressured or uncomfortable. “Sorry, it was an unnecessary comment. Having dates is not a bad thing and it would only be natural if you did.” She could live without knowing about Minjoo’s past love life, it wasn’t as important as keeping things flowing well between them.

The taller brunette, on the other hand, didn’t mind the question. “I didn’t have any. My parents would probably bring me back if they thought I did.” Grimacing, Minjoo shook her head lightly. All her life her parents had made sure she would be loyal to the prince, raising her to be perfect in every single way to fit her future title, and dating someone else was definitely out of question. They even frowned upon her closest friends, always suspicious – Minjoo had learned to deal with it and maybe if she had tried hard enough, she would be able to keep a relationship without them knowing. Still, it seemed pointless to even try when she never found someone she really liked…At least not someone she could have. “So, every date we have, is my best date yet. Just like the old times, the royal consort is only for the Queen’s eyes and no one else.” She added the last sentence in a playful tone, making sure the atmosphere wouldn’t become gloomy.

She felt Chae’s grip on her hand tightening, her thumb caressing the skin gently. “It’s my honor and pleasure then.” Chaewon quoted what was part of an ancient vote people would do in wedding ceremonies once. It should sound silly out of context, however the princess eyes were serious as she looked at Minjoo. “I will make sure we have plenty of dates in the future. All the ones you ever wanted to have.”

Suppressing a smile, Min just allowed herself to walk a little closer to Chaewon, a giddy feeling inside her chest like her heart was skipping around happily – and perhaps it was. “Sounds like you know a lot about dates, your highness. Is it the voice of experience?” She teased and was rewarded with the most adorable confused and flustered expression.

Maybe waiting was worth it.

Chaewon didn’t even bother replying, Min’s playful expression was easy to spot and although she was a little surprised with it, her heart grew soft at the sight of her eyes filled with mischief instead of sorrow or frustration. She wanted to give Minjoo the best relationship they could have, even if they didn’t have the most romantic of the beginnings, if she tried hard maybe it could become more than just a contract marriage and more like a real one.

“I’m afraid it’s not the case.” She said with a smile, pulling Minjoo gently by the hand so they could walk a little faster. “My dating experience is short and not very exciting.” For her parents’ absolute disappointment, she was never interested in anyone in particular – or at least it used to be, as of now they seemed glad to see there were no ‘obstacles’ in the way of their new plan for her life. All the girls that were considered good enough for the second daughter of the king, couldn’t possibly be good enough to the future queen and Chaewon was sure that if she had anyone in her life, it would have put her in a very delicate and unpleasant situation.

A couple of hundred of meters away, in the opening, there was a small round construction made in wood, it was adorned with delicate columns and could be seen even from afar. Chaewon used to play there, far enough from the main building for her to feel free, but still close enough for her parents to be able to spot her into the distance. Today it would be their first stop, having everything prepared for them to have a pleasant afternoon picnic before going for a walk. A large towel, with a big basket on top of and several small bottles waited for them, as one of the guards took care of it, as if it was something important – it was, but the guard was a little too much.

Chaewon smiled politely at the guard, allowing him to leave as Minjoo and her climbed up the few steps that led them to the simple, yet charming place. It was an open space, only the roof protecting them from the summer sun, the breeze passing freely through the patterns engraved in the short walls of wood that surrounded the gazebo, giving them a little bit of privacy.

“How does it fit your dating plans?” Chae asked, gesturing all the things prepared – as for her request, it was simple, she wanted them to have a normal day together…Or close to it.

“A royal picnic?” Minjoo raised her eyebrows looking from the basket to Chaewon, a childish glint in her eyes as she gave Chae’s hand a gentle squeeze, prompting them to sit down. “Just my type!” Without wasting any time, she checked the basket's content and let out a pleased exclamation.

“Hm, sandwiches and rice rolls, and…Strawberries, cherry and Nutella?” Minjoo laughed as she unpacked all things prepared. She was expecting a much more refined menu for them, instead she got a bunch of random, yet delicious things. “Plenty of cakes and chocolate everywhere…” Letting out another chuckle, she gave Chaewon a puzzled look. “You know, it sounds like a basket 8-year-old me would have prepared!”

“Oh…Don’t you like it?” The princess looked back with some hesitation. When she ordered all that stuff, it didn’t occur her that maybe Minjoo wouldn’t like such childish menu now. “I can ask for-”

“I love it!” Gracing the older girl with her purest smile, she hold onto the basket as if it was her own baby – and it was, not only because it was her chance of eating all nice things her mother would nag her for even thinking about, but also because it was clear someone had prepared it with her in mind and it gave her a warm, happy feeling. “You know I like sweets and you did it for me, didn’t you?”

“I…” Chae made a face. Obviously, she was never good at hiding anything from Minjoo. “How do you know?”

“Your parents always prepare nice dates for us, but nothing as…Normal as this.” Shaking her head slightly, the brunette gestured their surroundings. Chaewon’s parents just like hers, would have picked a much different thing for them – Minjoo liked this one better. “Also, I’m pretty sure not even my mother would prepare something like it, she would make it super healthy and all carefully crafted by some famous chef.” Clicking her tongue, she looked back at Chae to smile at her. “Thank you, Chae. You were always so observant.”

“That’s fine, I like those too.” Trying to shrug her shoulders and refrain from allowing her ears to burn red with embarrassment under Minjoo’s warm gaze, she reached out to try one of the cherries. They didn’t get much of a say about that wedding, but she had the choice of making the best out of it. “I just want you to enjoy these moments. I don’t want you, or even myself, to feel like it is just another boring obligation.”

Minjoo just nodded, she could understand it perfectly and those words were just what she would expect from Chaewon. There was something uncomfortable about knowing they were pretty much forced to get married, taking away all the romance and nice things that come with dating and choosing your life partner, however, she couldn’t simply forget that this person in front of her was still the same one she knew since they were kids and for whom she had so much affection – the person she had never seen as just another friend.

“It won’t ever feel like it, this I know for sure.” Giving Chae a small, secretive smile, Minjoo handed her one of the pieces of cake before getting one for herself. “So, let’s enjoy it! How was your meeting today?” It was just the beginning, making small conversation and keep it going as they ate, slowly allowing each other into their routines as it should be.

Chaewon felt her chest lighter, accepting the cake and taking a good bite of it. They would have many days like this to come and she could get used to it – she was excited to do so. “It was good. You know out neighbor kingdom, the one our friend Eunbi will take over soon? She wanted to discuss one of our agreements and…”

The conversation flowed easily, as Chaewon talked about her new obligations and Minjoo shared about her work as part of the board for her parents’ company – once they got married she would have to focus on a different thing, receiving her own tasks as the future queen’s consort and all the diplomatic things that come with it –, but soon shifted to more pleasant things, like the places they would like to visit once they had the chance and both sharing their experiences abroad. It was comfortable and easy, just like they used to be and soon the picnic was forgotten as they focused completely on each other and partially forgot about all the delicious food.

Once they were done with the food – or at least some of it –, Chaewon suggest for them to go for a walk and Minjoo was quick to accept, holding onto her hand as they walked through the green plains.

Chaewon knew that the guards were probably around there somewhere, but she was glad she couldn’t see any and just enjoy their little moment of privacy. That place would be their home soon, but for now it still didn’t feel like it. “Want to go to the beach? You always liked it there.”

The place where the sea bathed the pure white sand, was a small private beach at south of her family’s land, it was guarded by rocks and the trees that formed a green wall before it. It wasn’t the greatest place to swim, but Chaewon liked how calm and pretty the view was, and so did Minjoo.

“You really remember everything.” Nodding, the taller girl matched her long strides to Chaewon’s, excited to see the place she hadn’t visited in a while. She had been to numerous places in the world, but there was something special about that little beach where you could see the sun set in the water and the orange hues color the white walls of the castle in the distance. “Let’s hurry up, it’s almost time for the sunset!”

Chuckling softly, Chaewon followed her with quick steps that became even quicker now that a thin, almost invisible, drizzle started to fall from the fat clouds in the sky.

The summer rain was cold on their skin, making the duo run for cover under the big trees, allowing them to move a little further to an empty spot where they could see the ocean a couple of meters away. The rain was weak enough to not bother them much and they could have easily turned back to the palace or even call for someone to fetch them, but none of the girls wanted to do so. Instead, they sat side by side, exchanging an understanding smile as they watched the sea hit the shore over and over.

Minjoo hugged her knees, resting her chin on top of it as she watched the sun slowly making its way down the water. She could feel Chae’s sharp eyes on her and she smiled, turning her face slightly so she could see the princess.

The redhead woman scooted a little closer, assuming a similar posture to Min’s, playing with her fingers as she looked from the brunette to the city in the distance, at the other side of the bay. Her city, her people – words that never meant as much until a couple of weeks ago when she became the responsible for a whole nation. Just like the girl beside her, who was always there, but now occupied a different position in her life.

“Does it feel weird for you?” She managed to ask, eyes now back on Minjoo’s face. “That it is me now?”

“Wouldn’t it be ever weirder if I didn’t find it weird?” Minjoo replied with a shrug, Chae didn’t need to explain for her to understand what she meant. So many changes in a short space of time made everything feel a little odd, but it wasn’t a bad thing. It was quite the opposite.

“I guess you’ve right.” Nodding slightly, Chae heaved a sigh. I’m sorry.”

“For what? I didn’t say it was bad.” Shaking her head, she straightened her back to focus her attention on Chaewon’s small face. “You know it was just a promise we never got to fulfill. It was never romance, we never even went out together…I feel a lot closer to you than I ever was to the prince.” She admitted with a frown. Ever since she was a child Taewon was part of her life, but only in name, it was Chaewon who was there with her. Honestly, I wasn’t sure how we would deal with it once it was time to make things real. It probably wouldn’t be a happy union to any of us.”

Chaewon gave her an apologetic smile, her eyes a little darker with sorrow now. She knew all too well about how things worked between Taewon and Min, but she could only guess the other girl’s feelings. “I guess I’m sorry for putting you in this situation again. No one ever asks what we want to do.”

“It wouldn’t be my parents if they did.” With a humorless chuckle, Min shook her head again. She knew that even if Chaewon hadn’t agreed on the wedding they would still try to push it, or just move on to the next ‘good option’ they had in mind, after all for them, Minjoo was just another instrument to gain more power – she was glad Chae was the one they picked, the only one she could accept wholehearted. “But it’s not the same. It doesn’t feel like it.” Turning to face Chae again, she let her gaze fell over the girl’s delicate features, feeling that warm, comforting feeling of being close to her again. “It here, with you now, is definitely not the same.”

The chocolate brown eyes on her were full of affection and it would be impossible for Chaewon to not notice, maybe because her eyes carried the same feeling as she looked at Minjoo, her hand reaching to hold hers. “In a good way?” She asked with a smile that was both relieved and hopeful. Min only nodded, returning the smile. “For me too.” Intertwining their fingers, she raised their joint hand to leave a kiss on it. “In the best way.”

Relaxing against her side, Minjoo smile to herself, her eyes going from Chaewon to the sun that was now so low in the horizon, painting everything orange and yellow as the water reflected its light. The drizzle was still falling, albeit she could barely feel it under the protection of the trees, but it was enough to bring out the earthy smell that wasn’t enough to cover up Chaewon’s familiar mint scent. “Chaewon?” She called softly, getting the attention of the pretty chestnut eyes that still shone even under the weak light of the end of the afternoon. “I really liked our dates. Not only today.” With this reassurance, she lifted her head slightly so she could leave a gentle kiss on her cheek. “That’s why you brought me here today, isn’t it? To see if I had changed my mind.” Giving her a knowing smile, she watched as the older girl blushed, her ears as red as her hair.

Chaewon didn’t even try to ask her she knew it – perhaps Minjoo just knew her all too well by now, maybe she just felt the same need to reaffirm things before there was no turning back. “I wanted to give you the chance to chance of changing your mind, if you want to.” Lifting a hand, she cupped Minjoo’s face, her fingers caressing the skin softly. “But I also wanted to show you my best, so you wouldn’t regret your choice.”

Of course, that was such a Chaewon thing to do and Minjoo appreciated her even more for it. Knowing that for her future wife, she would never be only an asset, a necessary tool to reach a goal, but actually someone she cared about and was willing to try her best for, made Minjoo even more sure she had made the right decision. As if words were not enough to convey her feelings, she closed her eyes, slowly leaning in until her lips met Chae’s for a moment – short and sweet. “You also can’t regret it now.” Her warning, supposed to be a playful one, sounded a little too serious in her low, quiet voice as she spoke still so close to Chaewon’s face.

The princess’s eyes were serious as she nodded slowly, a solemn tone to her voice as she promised. “I won’t ever regret having you in my life.” Sealing it with another peck, she gifted Minjoo with the sweetest smile. Even thinking about kissing the other girl had been something she was never allowed to do, a thought that tortured her several times before, but that was now a reality – a good and welcomed one. She felt a warm, unique, sensation irradiate through her body as she looked into the chocolate brown eyes she would wake up to every day for the rest of her life.

It tasted like cherry and chocolate when Chaewon kissed her again, this time for a little longer. Patient, calm and sweet, slowly brushing her lips against hers until they were both sure of it, willing to take this next step that would mark the new phase in their relationship – from friends to lovers, from an impossible pair to a couple, from simple people to the future rulers of a nation…And all this, with a simple, yet loving, kiss.

Chae kisses were just like her, sweet, gentle and patient – and Minjoo loved it. Minjoo felt her heart skip several beats as she hugged Chaewon closer, allowing the kiss to grow a little more profound and marveling at the feeling it gave her – they didn’t need fireworks and butterflies when the sound of the waves crashing against the shore could be heard and the soft light of sunset bathed them in gold, moreover she didn’t need anything more when all she could feel was the beat of her heart running inside her chest, full with so much emotion.

When the kiss ended, they slowly broke apart, still close enough to not completely break the embrace.

They shared a smile, Chae leaving a sweet kiss on her forehead. “Anything else you would like for our marriage?” She had asked, using the little time they still had before night took over.

Minjoo would rather to not talk, but she put aside the silly idea of asking for another kiss to consider Chaewon’s words. She had thought about it before, what she wanted from that marriage. “Only two things.” She finally said, her expression more serious now. “Promise to always be honest with me and let me help you to decide everything that is important to us. Always.” Living with parents who never told her anything until they had decided all on their own, made her never want to have something like that in her life again. “And promise you will always find time for us. At least once a week, just like now.”

Chae frowned, nodding right away. “Of course, you will be my wife, that’s a given.”

“But you will also be the queen someday, and even now you’re already busy all time.” Min elaborated, voicing her concerns. If her father barely had time to be at home, and he was only a businessman, what should she expect from the ruler of a whole country? Still, she didn’t want to be just be another member of the royal family on paper, she wanted to be Chae’s wife truly. I know you will have a lot to do, so I’m happy if you promise me this much. Can you?”

“I…” Blinking, Chaewon nodded once more. She had never thought about it. Of course, she would be busy, but she always imagined Minjoo would be with her and she planned to make it a reality. “I promise. More than once a week, the best way I can.”

Min’s only reply was to hug her tight, for what the older returned the gesture. Sinking in Chaewon’s warm hug, Minjoo felt like they were in the right path. Maybe it wasn’t as clear just yet, maybe it wouldn’t be as easy when the attention was on them and they had to carry heavier burdens than only taking the first steps in their relationship. But for now, it was enough.

They didn’t need to rush, they would have all their lives to make this transition, to overcome all the barrier and be honest about their feelings.

 



 

Minjoo let her gaze wander around the place, marveling at the nearly infinite white of the tents scattered all around the vast green plains, only the light of torches illuminating the place now that the sun had sunk into the horizon, hiding behind the blue waters of the lake that bathed the place, only a couple of meters away. It looked a lot like a fairy tale, from the beautiful place where the wedding ceremony was held earlier that day and was now even prettier at night, to the guests dressed in elegant clothes and were now dancing, to the light weight on her head – the bright gold shine of her crown, the intricate pattern with red and white gems, a symbolic one that already meant so much.

The ceremony had been short, their votes simple as they exchanged honesty hopes of a happy future together, in front of the relatively small crowd. It was her wedding day, but she felt surprisingly calm. The sunlight was as warm as Chaewon’s lips had been on hers when they kissed, sealing the promise and making of them a couple for life. Her wife had smiled at her, the warm chestnut of her eyes making Min think everything would work out from now on.

The crown was placed atop of her head just a moment after, awarding her yet another title – not only she was now Chaewon’s wife, but also the royal duchess of Aurum. There was a satisfied smile on her parents face ever since.

She had sat with Chaewon at the table by the lake, giving them some privacy while their parents interacted with the guests. They weren’t at the palace, but rather at the royal family’s summer house that was located in the countryside, giving them just a little more privacy. Still, it carried the same aura she always could feel at the palace – perhaps because she was with Chaewon here as well.

As if she could hear her thoughts, the redhead gave Minjoo’s hand a light squeeze, a small smile on her face as she leaned in to whisper to her. “Everything okay? You’re spacing out.” It wasn’t a critic, just an honest observation. Chaewon couldn’t blame her fiancée – wife now – for being a little overwhelmed by everything, actually she could relate to it. The weeks that led to their wedding were erratic, to say the least.

First, there were the reporters. As soon as they came back from the picnic and found her parents with knowing smiles, there was no point in delaying any longer the engagement announcement – and of course, with it came all the media trying to dig up everything about their relationship and even some pictures of them together emerged; Chaewon made sure none of those were published. The public was curious about them, therefore she tried her best to stand on her feet and face them, showing her most diplomatic side as she explained about how Minjoo was always part of her life and how she was sure she would be a perfect fit as a consort – those were all truth, they didn’t need to know how it happened, just accept Minjoo was part of the family now.

After it, they didn’t have much time together. The announcement of their union made the economy boost as expected, the world’s eyes on them and the pressure was even bigger now. Between attending her official meetings, and Minjoo helping to get everything ready for the wedding while also having to assume her new tasks as part of the royal family, it was almost impossible for them to find time for their dates. So, they would try to make up for it by talking on the phone, and having short conversations in person whenever they could – quick hugs and pecks on the cheek that were way too quick for Chaewon’s heart, were also part of their new routine. She felt bad about it, but there was nothing she could do.

Hopefully, things would be better now that they were married – at least, she felt like it would, there was a really nice feeling about holding Minjoo’s hand and feeling the slightly cold metal of her wedding ring against her palm.

Upon hearing her words, Minjoo averted her eyes from the dancefloor where couples still danced to a calm song played by the live band, she looked at her wife and a smile naturally come to her face. “Of course, I am. Actually, I was thinking it looks a lot like a fairytale wedding.” She confessed, bringing her other hand to cover Chae’s, her eyes stealing a quick look at their matching rings – hers had a diamond and a delicate petal pattern, while Chaewon’s had a bright blue gem and an intricate pattern that fit her slender fingers well. Those were jewels passed through generations in the royal family, now having one in her hand was the ultimate proof of her place there. Different from the crown on her head, it didn’t make her feel burdened by it, instead it gave her a warm feeling of comfort. “What about a dance? I think they are waiting for it.” Subtly, she gestured the small crowd with her head.

Chaewon was more than aware of the looks over them, however, she chose to focus on her wife instead – this fact hasn’t sink in quite yet, how something that used to be only a hopeless thought, was now reality and how fast it happened. More than this, she was trying to push aside the thought that being there, only meant Taewon couldn’t be – not because she really thought Minjoo would rather to be with him, or even that she didn’t deserve to be there. It was only the fact that it had always been the plan for him, and knowing her brother would never have the chance of experiencing this due to the worst possible reason…She just wanted to focus on Minjoo, in the warmth of her hand and the sweetness of her smile and try to pretend Taewon was out there in between the crowd, having fun with his friends and cheering for her like he always had. “As you wish, your grace.” Therefore, she was quick to nod in confirmation, prompting Minjoo to follow her to the dance floor made out of carefully crafted wood placed on top of the grass.

She heard Min’s musical laugh as they made their way through the crowd, people respectfully stepping back to give the couple a proper space for their first dance. Just like earlier, this time she would just ignore the looks, ignore everything else, except Minjoo and try to enjoy this moment that was only theirs. “Just like old times.” She whispered softly as she pulled Minjoo to her arms slowly, not a proper posture for a dance, but for once she could afford ignoring the etiquette.

Her wife, clearly, agreed on it, hugging Chae by the neck with a bright smile on her face. “So, you remember it too.” Minjoo concluded, her smile a little warmer now that she was in the safety of Chaewon’s arms. The yellow lights with the sweet song – was it an old Disney one? She could bet Chae asked for it too – gave the place such a magical feeling to it, the kind of scenario she always wished for, but was glad to know it was now a reality. She knew she would have had the same fantastic wedding no matter who she married – her parents wouldn’t settle for anything less – but having Chaewon as the person with who she was sharing it, was the one thing that truly made it magical.

“How could I not? I keep my promises. All of them.” As to confirm it, she left a sweet kiss on Minjoo’s cheek and in that moment, it was really easy to trust Chaewon – it had always been.

Even years ago, when all they had, was nothing more than fragile moments shared underneath the moonlight and out of anyone else’s sight.

 

 

The balls at the palace were always big events, almost as if Chaewon’s parents really wanted to turn their kingdom part of a beautiful fantasy world even if only for one night. Looking outside the window of her room that night and seeing the gardens beautifully illuminate, the white walls gaining a golden sparkle that mixed perfectly with the blueish light of the huge full moon that shone above the sea that bathed the small beach…It was just like a painting and it brought a smile to Chaewon’s face, helping her to forget for a moment that it was just another one of her obligations and the fact that she had been trying to avoid all the guests since the begin of the night – she was always a little over responsible, always the one to do the right thing, but only for tonight she would rather to avoid her princess duties and enjoy a little bit of her time.

Therefore, she claimed a headache to avoid dancing with whoever her mother was targeting that night – always a new suitor, someone with useful connections that would be a ‘great pair’ for her. Chaewon didn’t hate them, most of the time she didn’t even know those people. She just didn’t want to do it tonight.

Not when her eyes were set on someone else.

Making her way downstairs through one of the family’s private paths, she reached the gardens to find a very familiar figure, a smile on her face as she stopped by the door for a moment to just appreciate the view in front of her.

Under the soft light of the evening, with her hair elegantly put into a ponytail that allowed her long neck and fine jawline to become more evident, Minjoo was wearing a light pink dress that seemed to be made for her. The silk, soft material was held carefully in one of her hands as she sat down in one of the benches, letting out a small sigh as her dark gaze run aimlessly through the place. She looked beautiful, and also a little bit sad, moreover, she looked incredibly bored.

“May I join you?” Chaewon’s voice brought Minjoo out of her thoughts, making her look up to meet the warm chestnut eyes that always looked at her with so much care and affection that it instantly made her forget about her plans of leaving the event.

Breaking into a smile, she shook her head in a negative. “I’m bored and you owe me a dance!” Offering her hand for Chaewon to hold, she watched in amusement as the older girl blinked in confusion for a moment, before taking it and helping to bring Min to her feet.

“Of course, my lady. Although I don’t remember promising you a dance today.” The reply came in an equally playful tone. It was like they communicated, the formality was never a thing when they had grown up together and even if Chae always tried to do her best to live up to her role, when it comes to Minjoo, she was nothing more than just an average human. “I thought you were feeling unwell.” Arching one eyebrow, she gave Min a knowing look.

Minjoo just shrugged her shoulders, averting her gaze to peek at the direction of the palace – glass windows showed a dozen of couples dancing, while the rest of the people were scattered around the room in small groups, probably talking about politics and all those boring things those meetings were for. Of course, she had found a way to escape it.

Attending those events was part of her obligations as the unofficial fiancée of the prince, like her parents loved to remind her, yet the said prince didn’t seem very excited about meeting her – and as usual, he had only greeted her politely, still treating her like one of the kids there, ignoring his mother suggestion of asking Minjoo to a dance under the excuse of needing to talk to some international diplomats…Minjoo didn’t really mind it, after all, she was not very excited about dancing with the prince, or doing any other of the things her parents seem to think she should. Therefore, she had pretended to be feeling a little sick, taking a seat and waiting for her parents to disappear from sight before she could leave the room.

It was always like this, she would have to dance with the prince – when none of them found a way to escape the pressure of their parents –, and then proceed dancing with a dozen of other people just for the sake of manners. The marriage promise wasn’t official yet, but rumors already circulated within the inner circles and eyes were always on her…Those events made her feel like it was hard to breathe.

Luckily, she wasn’t alone. Chaewon was always there, to tend to her own duties, and it would be the one time during the night she didn’t feel obligated to just accept another dance partner, instead they would have a nice chat while dancing and no matter how long the song was, it always seemed a little too short and they would often sit together after it to talk more – and for once her parents couldn’t reprehend her, after all Chaewon wasn’t just anyone.

However, she was sure some eyebrows would be raised if they saw them now – she didn’t care.

 “I thought the same about you. You are not the type to get ‘headaches’, I was a little surprised.” Giving Chae’s hand a little squeeze as she led them to a more protected area of the garden, but still close enough for the music coming from the salon to be heard. “Are you running away from your suitors?”

Chaewon chuckled, nodding slightly. Minjoo more than anyone knew the feeling of being pressured to socialize with people in nights like, albeit Chaewon knew her problems with picking a suitor, were very different from what Minjoo had to deal with, waiting her whole life for the moment Taewon would be ready to change things between them. Unconsciously, she squeezed Min’s hand back, just a little tighter. “Only for tonight.”

“I guess it’s a family thing.” Min teased, stopping walking when they were in the safety of the inside of the small labyrinth they both knew so well.

Frowning slightly, Chaewon reached for her other hand. “Minjoo…This time he really has to talk to some-”

“I don’t mind it!” The taller said with a small laugh, finding it funny how Chaewon was also so apologetic regarding her brother’s actions when in fact she had no blame on it – talk about ‘noblesse oblige’ to all extents. “But as for that dance…I told you to always reserve me a dance, how can you not remember?”

Chaewon wasn’t sure how honest Minjoo was being now, after all how could she not care? Chaewon genuinely loved and cared for her brother – it was her brother, it was only natural –, but sometimes she really wanted to smack some sense into him. No matter how much Taewon liked to have things his way, he should at least give Minjoo some attention, after all she didn’t have as much of a choice as he did. Weirdly, it also made Chaewon want to spend even more time with the girl, if Taewon was foolish enough to not enjoy Min’s company, she would gladly do it in his place. “I know, but it was when we were nine and no one wanted to dance with us...Not that I would ever refuse, you know that.” Giving her a half smile, Chae nodded, changing the position of their hands so they could assume the proper position to dance to the soft sound of a ballad echoing from the palace. “Because of you, I can’t pretend to my mother that I don’t know how to dance and escape the line of people she tries to push in my direction me every ball.”

Chae’s complaint only made Minjoo grin in amusement, pulling her gently by the hands to bring her closer. “It makes two of us. Too late to regret our pact.” Clicking her tongue, she let go of the redhead’s hands, only to hug her by the neck instead of assuming a formal posture. “No one can see us here, we don’t need to be stiff like sticks.”

Naturally, the princess enlaced her by the waist, closing their embrace so they could start moving slowly – it was the kind of thing their parents would call inappropriate for a formal occasion, but right now they weren’t guests in the royal ball, just two people who appreciated each other’s company finally having some alone time. Chaewon wouldn’t miss this chance.

“So, we might as well make it a long one.” Pushing any sense of guilt she could have, to the back of her mind, she allowed herself to just get immersed in Min’s sweet perfume and warmth, the familiar, addicting, glee of having the brunette between her arms. Minjoo should feel the same, because her hold onto her grew a little tighter, the younger resting her head on Chaewon’s shoulder, making the princess’ heart skip a beat.

The dance wasn’t complicate, their bodies moving slowly from side to side, ignoring the rhythm of the song, to follow the one of their beating hearts. They usually talked, using this time to catch up and laugh at their little inside jokes, but that night, maybe because they were alone and there was no need to act like people would expect from them, there was only silence – a comfortable, pleasant one, that allowed the two of them to get lost in the magical atmosphere of that night.

It was one of the feel chances they had to just get lost in each other’s embrace and they both just wanted to live this moment, carefully saving it in their minds and heart.

Chaewon couldn’t help but say what was on her mind, as her eyes were fixed on the figure she careful held now. “You look really beautiful tonight. You always do.” She spoke in a small voice, the summer breeze carrying her words just like it made their dresses wave gently. Maybe she was going a little too far, getting carried away just like that, yet it felt nice as Minjoo hugged her a little closer. “He should have told you.”

Minjoo’s lips turned into a smile, her eyes closed as she inhaled Chaewon’s scent. “He didn’t have to.” She didn’t mind not having the prince’s attention if it meant she could have the princess with her. “After all, you’re telling me now.” And Chae’s words were far more important to her. Running her hand through the soft reddish hair, she moved her lips close to her ear – just enough so her whisper could be heard. “I like it much better when you’re the one saying it, because you’re beautiful to me, too.”

Chae’s steps came to a stop, the dance becoming only a long hug none of them intended on breaking, albeit the older Kim pulled away slightly just so she could see Minjoo’s face. A pleasant shiver running through her body with the sound of the girl’s voice so close to her ears, a need to look at her and face the pretty chocolate of her eyes that carried the glint Chaewon loved.

Minjoo smiled at her, observing as a small, genuine smile graced the princess’ lips and her bright eyes became just a little darker, mirroring hers as they inspected each other. Her fingers moved to Chae’s nape, the girl’s hands on the small of her back pulling her in just a little more and…

The sound of steps, heavy, quick steps.

One second later the embrace was over, Chaewon’s smile turning into her polished expression and Minjoo’s into a small frown as the two of them started walking without a word – there was nothing to be said, there never was. Nothing they could change.

At least, not at that point in time.

 

By the smile on Minjoo’s face, Chaewon could tell what she was thinking about and she brought her a little closer to leave a soft kiss on her cheek. She just wanted to bring her to a tight embrace and lay her head on top of hers, but they were still in the middle of the party and she could still feel the weight of the crown on her head –  Minjoo carried her own crown, a different version of hers, with the detail that Chaewon’s was adorned with the big ruby that marked her as the next heir to the throne. Dropping her crown on the dancefloor would most likely give her parents a heart attack. So, for now she had to content herself with chaste cheek kisses. “No hiding this time.”

Min's smile grew bigger as she nodded, a new spark in her dark eyes, turning the chocolate into silver – she didn’t need a crown to look like a princess, she was born with something much more special than a title and this was the thing that made her shine so much on Chaewon’s eyes, so much she was never able to ignore it. Returning the smile, the older woman gently swayed her partner, following the soft beat of the song as she guided her wife in their first steps together.

The sound of camera flashes and the whispers of the guests could be heard, but Minjoo didn’t mind it. Just like that night years ago, her body was in perfect sync with Chaewon’s, their steps falling in the right place as they slowly explored the dance floor. Everything about that night was magical to her, but being in Chae’s arms and feeling her loving eyes on her, was an experience she would cherish forever.

As the song reached its end with a sweet note, Minjoo didn’t move to break the embrace, nor did Chaewon. Instead the couple exchanged a look, small smiles on their faces as Chaewon’s pressed her forehead against Minjoo’s lightly – a playful, happy glint in her eyes. “Thank you for the dance, your grace.”

Minjoo chuckled softly, her eyes turning into half-moons. “It’s my pleasure, your highness.”

Their voices were too quiet to anyone else to hear, but the crowd clapped anyway, celebrating the birth of a new royal couple and wishing for them to have a long and happy marriage – the duo smiled back at the audience, this time with no reservations, after all they were also wishing for the same thing.

 


 

The spacious bedroom was richly decorated, as expected from the princess' accommodations. Everything was white and gold, small red details here and there – the colors of their nation. The big queen-size bed with a canopy and duvet covers placed in the middle of the room, was hard to miss.

A maiden had guided Minjoo to the room and she had used this chance to change from her wedding dress to something more appropriate, while Chaewon was busy talking to her parents downstairs. She took her time getting ready, trying to not think about useless stuff and keeping herself calm – it was just Chaewon, everything would be alright…When had Chaewon being ‘just’ anyone for her though?

She felt a light blush tint her cheeks as she finally got out of the bathroom after finishing changing into comfortable clothes – the expensive nightgown her mother told her was proper for a royalty member to wear, instead of her comfy oversized shirts and sweat pants – to be met by Chaewon’s gaze. The older girl was pacing back and forth, dressed in a comfortable pajama, much less elegant than her clothes – she looked young and as nervous as Minjoo.

Being alone with the princess didn’t make her uncomfortable, although she had to admit it gave her a weird feeling of awkwardness now, maybe because it was a new territory for them – a very special one. The fact that they had only exchanged a few kisses prior to this, made it all more complicated. They haven’t talked about this moment, it escaping her mind in the middle of so much to prepare for this day, but now she wondered if she should’ve asked her then fiancée about it. Taking a deep brave, she tried a smile. “Chaewon-”

“Your room is next door. I mean, not next door, we have a connection door and you can use it, so you can access your room, but visit here whenever you want…If you want to, you don’t have to. I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable.” A flustered Chaewon interrupted her, her hand gesturing the white door located in the wall opposite to the bed, connecting both rooms – something Minjoo hadn’t noticed before thanks to her nerves.

“My room?” Of course, old buildings like this had such feature for the noble couples who used to live there, this house was bound to have it too. Knowing Chaewon planned for them to use it though, didn’t sit quite right with the girl. She would rather for Chaewon to have informed her of such thing beforehand. “Oh, I see.” She averted her gaze to her own hands, her fingers instinctively touching the wedding ring as she nodded lightly.

“Yes, yours.” Chaewon repeated, trying to push aside her nervousness. She had thought long and hard about it, just like with everything in her life, she tried to find the best way to treat the situation – her wedding night shouldn’t be a situation, but she couldn’t simply act like it was just like all the others marriages, after all her and Minjoo were dating only for a few months, they had their first kiss just a couple of weeks ago and barely any contact after it…Expecting anything else from tonight would only make what was supposed to be a romantic moment into something robotic and unpleasant, she also wouldn’t want to pressured her wife into anything. She knew it was the right decision – So why Minjoo looked so…Disappointed now? “Look, I asked them to make it just like your old room so you would feel at home!”

As Chaewon pushed the door open to show the beautifully decorated room in tones of blue and white, the younger Kim had to hold in a sigh. Her heart clenching inside her chest – Chae was just too caring and nice. But also, completely clueless. “It’s great, thank you. I think it will be a good place to study and rest.” Her polite words didn’t sound very sincere. She loved how considerate her wife was, yet she hated these walls in between them – both physically and emotionally. “Chae…I appreciate it, I really do, but…” Biting down on her bottom lip, she braved up to face the confused chestnut eyes. “Don’t you want me to stay close to you?”

For a future queen, Chaewon looked rather foolish as she blinked in confusion, her ears becoming as red as her hair as she shook her head in a negative. “No! I mean, yes…I…” With a sigh, she reached out to take Minjoo’s hand in between hers. It was a little ironic that for someone whose job required a lot of diplomatic skills, she was failing to keep the most basic communication with her wife – maybe exactly because of this, her overly formal nature couldn’t fare well when all she needed was open, honest conversation. “I want you to feel safe and happy around me in this house, just like at the palace. If this means giving you space, I will do it…But I would love to hug you tonight.” A small, nervous smile made its way to her face. She felt vulnerable under Minjoo’s gaze, being honest about her feelings was also something new for her. “I just want things between us to happen as naturally as possible.”

Squeezing her hand softly, Minjoo returned the smile as she gently pulled Chaewon closer to her. “I want the same for us…Even if it may be a little awkward at first.” She chuckled softly, and soon Chaewon followed suit – a chuckle that was both parts embarrassed and relieved. “I would like those hugs now, if you may, your highness.”

The playfulness in Minjoo’s tone was enough to make Chaewon relax, giving her the confidence to hug her wife the way she wished she could’ve done earlier. Minjoo fit right into her arms and her warmth could melt every single cell of Chaewon’s soft heart. “I’m really happy to have you as my friend and wife, Min.” The confession was said in a low voice, only for Minjoo’s ears as she snuggled up to her, leaving a kiss on her jaw.

Minjoo sighed happily, caressing the older girl's hair and closing her eyes to enjoy this small moment that was only for them. “Me too, Chae, me too.” For once, she only had to thank her parents for mending with her life – at least for now.

They slowly broke the embrace to face each other, no words needed as their gazes met and the glint of affection shined, giving the sign they both needed. Soft lips met in a gentle kiss that lasted longer than any other they had shared before, marking the first day of a life together. Mint and strawberry invaded Minjoo’s lungs, as the scent of vanilla brought Chaewon home, the sweetness of the kiss keeping away any doubts and fears they could have, their hands meeting to hold each and seal the silent promise that was made once more.

That night they slept in the safety of each other’s arms, after sweet kisses and loving words.

Many nights like that were to come, as Chaewon tried her best to keep her promises and Minjoo tried to adapt to her new life. Unfortunately, not all nights could be as great – some not so great at all.

 

 



 

A/N: A big chapter and only fluff happens, ngl this is to be expected from me xD

Thanks everyone for reading, I’m sorry about any mistakes! Please let me know what you thought! Next update in two days or so? See you soon!