001

Better Days

Although he was involved in an accident that could have taken his life, Sehun would like to think that all of it was part of their fateful meeting. It had to happen even if it had to scar him a little. They were destined to meet that day, in the river, that could have been his resting place at the young age of seven, and be a big part of each other's lives.

A boy much shorter but with courageous heart saved him from drowning. Byun Baekhyun, eight, revealed his name when Sehun fully recovered in the hospital. He happened to be Sehun's new neighbor, who just arrived with his parents that day. When asked by Sehun's mother what was he doing in the river, he said that he was only looking around, getting to know his new hometown and what it had to offer. He passed by the river and noticed someone struggling in the water so he made his way to help.

Sehun and his family were grateful of him. He may be young but he proved to be brave and compassionate as a child. Weeks later, his heroic act was published in an article on the local newspaper. Sehun's aunt authored the story that eventually captivated people's hearts. In an instant, Baekhyun and Sehun's faces were on every newspaper and magazine. They were even invited to appear on a TV show to narrate their story but Baekhyun’s father refused, saying it would be too much attention for the children. Sehun's family agreed on the matter.

Baekhyun did not remain a hero to Sehun. The latter found a friend in him. They went to the same school; going home together after class with Popsicle in their hands. Sehun's boring weekends turned lively with Baekhyun by his side. The older boy, he discovered, loved to sing and play the piano. His voice was precious just like him. He would make Sehun listen as he sings his favorite songs and ask the younger if he did well. And even though Sehun loved to tease and be cheeky at times, he always ended up clapping and saying he did great. Baekhyun would then smile and get more inspired to improve his talents.

While Baekhyun loved to sing, Sehun was more into dancing. Well, he tried despite his two left feet. He probably looked like a kernel in a frying pan when he moves to the rhythm of the music but Baekhyun did not care. Taken from his words, he would always be a supportive 'hyung' and because of that, Sehun had nothing but appreciation towards him.

They were each other's biggest fan.

However, their friendship was short-lived when Baekhyun’s parents decided to move to the US for work after two years of living in the small town of Hwadeong.

To say that the two boys were devastated was an understatement. Just when they were beginning to build a solid bond and create more memories together, certain circumstances had to end it. As young as they were, both experienced a deep feeling of sadness and longing. A week before Baekhyun leaves, Sehun was already crying his eyes out. He was clinging to the older for dear life while asking his parents to, somehow, do something for Baekhyun to stay. That was rather impossible but he tried whining every night for someone to take pity on him because he already felt so alone.

The day Sehun dreaded the most came in a blink of an eye. In the airport, he was clutching Baekhyun’s hand tightly, unwilling to let go until the latter had to follow his parents in the boarding gate.

“I guess it’s bye, bye, Hunnie,” said eleven-year old Baekhyun, avoiding Sehun’s eyes. Sehun watched him nibble his lips. Another followed a drop of tear until they found themselves crying in each other’s arms.

Sehun’s mother had to pull him away before his son caused a scene, comforting him to the best that she could as they went back to the car.

Through letters and phone calls, Sehun and Baekhyun fought the distance and maintained their friendship. Christmas, New Years and birthdays were not complete without each other’s greetings. It easily became a routine; catching up on each other as often as they could. Every day, they find time to talk about the things that happened to them in that particular day. Baekhyun happily chatted about his new home and a couple of new friends he met. Sehun was always looking forward to tell Baekhyun about school. He talked about joining the dance club with the help of his classmate, Jongdae.

“That’s great, Hunnie! I’m so proud of you!” Baekhyun exclaimed, slightly clapping his hands. He suddenly leaned back on the bed and yawned. ‘Twas past twelve in the US and he was beat from working on school stuff and just generally living as a freshman. Sehun noticed this and yawned himself. He hesitantly bid goodbye to his best friend so the latter could rest. “I miss you, hyung. Good night,” he did not forget to say. Baekhyun mumbled I miss you, too, before they both hang up.

Sehun learned to use Skype when he was sixteen. The first time he video-chatted with Baekhyun, he was anxious. He waited for the latter to answer his call and when he finally saw his best friend’s face after a long time, he froze.

Baekhyun looked different. His hair turned a bright shade of brown and his face did not look puffy anymore. There was something about him—his eyes—that was different. Sehun thought he was rather “unattractive” compared to Baekhyun. He suddenly felt uneasy when his hyung studied his expression.

“Hey, Hunnie. Are you blushing?”

Sehun’s ears turned a deeper shade of red, “What?! No!” Why would I be?!” Geez.

Baekhyun laughed, brushing his curls on the side of his face. He may look different now but his smile remained the same. Sehun thought he was pretty. Beautiful even. It was in a split second that Sehun realized his heart was uneasy. In a blink of an eye, he discovered something more than just a connection between them. Maybe because he missed Baekhyun so much. Or perhaps he was already falling in love.

 

To confess was something Sehun didn’t expect to do nor look forward to. After talking to Jongdae and Kyungsoo, his close friends at school, he was somehow convinced and agreed to tell Baekhyun about his feelings.

“Just spill it out,” Jongdae told him. “If all else fails, we’re still here. Right, Kyungsoo?”

The big-eyed boy only nodded before going back to reading his manga.

“What the hell! He’s my best friend! If I mess up, it’s gonna be over!” Sehun cried, on the move to whack Jongdae’s head.

“Now, now, Sehun. Don’t be so uptight. You, my friend, need to relax and let your feelings flow like river. You pour out your heart and tell him everything; how he affects you, how you can’t sleep at night because you want to see him. How you want to kiss him, to hold him—“

“Alright, just shut it, Jongdae. How do you even know that?” Sehun said, defeated. His face was bright red. “On second thought, I don’t think this is a good idea.”

Jongdae shook his head, “What if both of you are just waiting for one another to take the first step?! Come on, Sehun, it is about time to man-up! Go get your pretty hyung before someone else does!”

For a moment, Sehun was genuinely scared. Someone else with Baekhyun? He was petrified.

 

 

“O-kay. Maybe…I can give it a try.”

 

 

How do one prepare for a confession? Sehun had no idea. He asked Jongdae for advice but the latter told him he was on his own this time. He had to figure it out by himself. Sehun pleaded but his of a friend only shrug. “Be spontaneous. Remember what you’ve been telling yourself all this time: He’s the one for you. Your soul mate” was the last words he said before skipping out of his room, leaving Sehun dumbfounded. Earlier that day, Sehun already messaged Baekhyun that he wanted to chat with him in the evening if he was available. Baekhyun agreed at once because it’s Saturday and he had all night to himself. Talking to Sehun was some sort of a therapy so he was quite excited for the chat.

“So, what do you want to talk about, Hunnie?” Baekhyun asked as soon as he’s done narrating about his experience in the singing audition at school yesterday.

Sehun paled.

“Hunnie?” Baekhyun moved his face near the screen, reaching for Sehun to pat his head like how he used to, ghosting his fingertips over Sehun’s gloomy expression. “Hey, you okay?”

 

Was that supposed to comfort him because no, Sehun was shaking internally! Baekhyun was so close Sehun could practically see the glistening of his lips. Baekhyun was turning into lost puppy, frowning because Sehun had not spoken for a good minute.

Baekhyun grimaced, looking uncomfortable. Out of habit, he started chewing his lips, “Hunnie, you’re scaring me.”

His voice was low and almost pleading. That was enough to bring Sehun back to reality. “Sorry!”

“Are you sick or something?”

“No. I’m alright, hyung. I’m sorry. I don’t mean to scare you.”

Baekhyun’s smile returned. “Alright, I’m listening. What do you want to tell me? I’m so eager to know!”

Sehun’s heart sank. Should he?

Those bright eyes before him made him shudder. Maybe he’d confess next time. Maybe it wasn’t the right time, the perfect timing. Maybe, maybe…

 

 

 

“Hyung, I think I’m in love with you.”

 

 

He thought about this moment. There was fear for the consequences. Sehun tried to keep his mouth shut for all its worth but his feelings, as days went by, grew deeper for Baekhyun. It was only a matter of time before he explodes; blame his young, lonely heart. With Jongdae telling him about the possibility of Baekhyun dating someone else, something made Sehun take a step forward. Perhaps it was jealousy; his fear that the one person he always looked at as his soul mate would slip away from him.

“I’ve liked you since the beginning. I love everything about you. Your eyes, your smile, the way you sing, the way you look after me. I want to be by your side all the time. I am convinced that you are my soul mate. We met for a reason,” Sehun wanted to say but the older boy spoke before he got a chance.

 

“I’m sorry, Hunnie,” Baekhyun expressed, hanging his head low, in nothing more but a whisper.

 

Three words that turned Sehun’s world upside down.

 

 

--So that’s what it felt like to be heart-broken. After Baekhyun rejected him, saying he couldn’t return his feelings in that way, Sehun found himself skipping classes and just moping in his room. He didn’t bother checking his mails. Baekhyun reached out to him the entire week but he couldn’t find the courage to face the former. He wanted to sleep it out, hoping tomorrow, he wouldn’t feel so pathetic.

He was starting to doubt about the red string that supposed to bind him and Baekhyun as one. He must be crazy to believe such a tale.

 

 

 

Sehun had read everything Baekhyun sent to him. He would read the latter’s messages repeatedly and torture himself even more as though being heartbroken was not enough. “I miss you, too. I miss you a lot,” he found himself saying one night, eyes fixed on the computer screen.

“Alright, Mr. Hopeless Romantic. Time to pull yourself together and talk to him,” Jongdae said as they lie on the bed in Sehun’s room. “You can’t possibly give up now, can you?”

“He only sees me as a friend! What more can I do?!”

“Change it of course!”

Sehun buried himself under the covers, “I don’t think that’s possible.”

“Stop thinking just do it!” Jongdae pushed, only to receive a jab. “Look at you abusing me while I’m trying to help!”

“Can’t face him,” Sehun mumbled. “It’s already embarrassing how I just hang up on him after I confessed. I haven’t replied to his emails; not once even though I miss him so much. He probably hates me now. I ruined our friendship!” Sitting up carelessly, he hit Jongdae’s chin with his knee. “You heard me, Jongdae! I messed up big time!”

“That actually hurts.”

“What?”

Jongdae facepalmed himself, “Forget it.”

“Forget what? I can’t forget about him.”

“Shut up and listen! You are going to talk to your pretty hyung and clear things up between the two of you. He most certainly has a reason why he can’t return your feelings. Ask him. I’m sure he cares enough to explain. You two are still best friends after all.”

Sehun pondered for a moment, “You think so?”

“Yes! Stop sulking and do something because that’s what guys do. You’re no emo prince, Hun.”

“ you.”

“You’re welcome, my dear friend. You’re very welcome.”

 

 

That night, Sehun found himself speechless as he faced Baekhyun. The older was watching him intently, waiting for him to speak. Minutes passed and Sehun was beginning to regret his decision. It was a bad idea. He couldn’t find the right words to say.

Baekhyun was the first one to break the silence. “Are you mad at me?” he asked.

“No, I’m not. I should be the one asking you that,” Sehun answered incoherently.

“I’m not mad at you, Hunnie,” offered the older with a sincere smile. “I can’t possibly blame you for what you feel.”

There was a long pause before Sehun spoke again. “When I told you I was falling in love with you, I mean it. I know we have been best friends for like, forever, and to suddenly ask you something more than that is…selfish. But you know me, hyung. I do tend to be selfish when it comes to you.”

Baekhyun suddenly remembered the time when Sehun got mad at him for spending more time with some other kid in school. The younger refused to talk to him unless he agrees on a sleepover at Sehun’s. As a hyung who is always patient, he agrees to Sehun’s demand. Sure enough, the latter treats him as best friend again.

“I want to know. Am I really a friend to you?” Sehun questioned with hoping eyes. “Will I remain just a friend to you? Is it really impossible for you to…somehow feel something towards me?”

When Baekhyun refused to meet his gaze, Sehun’s world fell apart for the second time. From hurt, he suddenly felt betrayed. Clenching, he blurted out, “Is this because we’re far apart? I don’t give a damn about it-!”

“I’m in love, Hunnie.”

…What?

Looking straight into Sehun’s eyes, Baekhyun revealed, “I am in love with someone else.”

 

…what-wait how? WHO?!

 

“I was supposed to tell you that night when you confessed. I’m…dating someone.”

The voice in Sehun’s head wanted to scream aloud. Could it get any worse?!

“I didn’t mean to keep this to you. I just wanted to be certain about our relationship before I tell you. He’s so dear to me and I…don’t want to mess it up.”

To mess it up.

“ He’s my classmate. His name is Chanyeol—“

 

“I don’t really wanna know.”

 

Baekhyun’s shoulder slumped in defeat. Sehun was obviously heartbroken. But what else could he do? He wouldn’t dare lie. He couldn’t lead Sehun on and pretend he feels the same way.

“Hunnie—“

“I don’t want to talk anymore,” Sehun grumbled, clearly hurt. He was on the verge of crying.

“Sehun—“

“I’m sorry, hyung. I shouldn’t have said this. I should stop clinging to you. You’re tired of me I know. Who wouldn’t? I have always depended on you. The immature brat who can’t stand being away from his hyung. I have no right to stop you from seeing someone else. I’m just a best friend after all.”

“Sehun, that’s not it!” Baekhyun answered back in panic. This wouldn’t end well with Sehun getting all angry at him.

“Sehun, listen to me—“

“I’m tired, hyung. I’ll talk to you next time.”

“Don’t drop the call! Oh Sehun!”

“I told you I can’t—ugh I don’t want to talk anymore! I just don’t know what to say to you!” How can I face you now when all I can think of is that person you’re with?

Baekhyun buried his face in his palms, pleading, “I just don’t want you to hate me.”

“….”

“Sehun, if only you’ll try to understand. Let’s not do this to ourselves please? I can’t stand seeing you like this. You deserve someone who’s gonna love you for who you are. Someday, you will find that person, I promise.”

You’re the one for me! You’re the one who needs to understand!

“Hunnie, are you listening to me?!” Baekhyun asked desperately but Sehun was out of it. Amidst the tension, Sehun’s mother knocked and peeked inside. She heard noises coming from Sehun’s room and couldn’t help but wonder what was going on. Concerned, she went inside, asking Sehun the matter. When she saw Baekhyun on the computer screen, hanging his head low, she quickly picked up. The moment she moved to touch Sehun’s shoulder to comfort, the boy closed the tab, ending his communication with Baekhyun.

And eventually, their friendship.

 

Turns out, fate was cruel. Sehun was now certain he met Baekhyun because the world hates him and he had to suffer from an unrequited love. Baekhyun should have remained a hero, a best friend and nothing more.

 

With his eighteenth birthday on its way, Sehun was asked (more like forced) by Jongdae, alongside Kyungsoo, to go on a road trip as part of the celebration. They reasoned that Sehun needed a break from all the drama in his life. Going out with them, they said, would be the best solution for the heartbroken boy to finally forget about his one-sided love (As if Sehun hadn’t figured that out already.) “Of course you have to pay for the food and everything else. We’re just gonna tag along and have fun,” Jongdae said, grinning. “Maybe get laid.”

He received a rather painful flick in the ear from Kyungsoo. “Decency,” the latter reminded.

“You should really stop this habit of yours, Kyungsoo. You’re gonna leave bruises all over me,” Jongdae complained, scooting away from the boy.

“Only when you shut your mouth.”

“Awaaeee?!”

“Cut it out, you two. I prefer to go alone,” Sehun informed them and that’s exactly what he did. No, he was not trying to kill himself or anything. He just wanted a breath of fresh air. For an entire year, he hated himself, his situation, and did nothing but sulk. A realization came to mind one day when he saw his reflection in the bathroom mirror. He thought he looked unhealthy—uglier. His skin looked dull and he was starting to gain belly fats because of stress-eating. “Such a loser.” He needed to do something—to turn his world around. Time waits for no one, his mother told him and Sehun believed it. He figured things would never be the same with how his friendship ended with Baekhyun; and how he was heartbroken, but then again, maybe, just maybe, all he needed was to accept things the way they were and move on—to find something worthwhile and to discover more about the so-called life. Easier said than done. Nonetheless, it was worth the try.